On making money... 02/17/2004 08:10 PM CST
Is there anything planned for Empaths to allow us to make money other than healing [laugh] or shifting? Was undead healing talked about at all at Vegascon? Will we be better suited than another guild for any of the planned careers?

- The poor empath with lots of origami paper.

I am not arguing with you - I am telling you.

James A. McNeill Whistler
Re: On making money... 02/17/2004 08:24 PM CST
Empaths are supposed to get a perk to the alchemy career. Beyond that, no clue.

- Player of Miki & Cael

The ghost of Westryl says "boo!" then wanders off. This cab must be haunted!
Re: On making money... 02/17/2004 08:49 PM CST
>>Empaths are supposed to get a perk to the alchemy career. Beyond that, no clue.

Two things worry me about alchemy.

1) Someone told me that both alchemy skill as well as anatomy will come out of the mechanical lore split. Since anatomy is aparently going to be very important to empaths, this would mean we would have to sacrifice being profecient in it to be good alchemists.

2) I don't see alchemy as being terribly profitable, but maybe I will be surprised.

Re: On making money... 02/17/2004 09:08 PM CST
If alchemists are able to make higher potency drugs easier than the average joe bard (picking on bards as being another lore primary gruild), then there could be profit to be had. Kythryn proved that money CAN be made with herbs.

If alchemists are able to make miracle drugs that don't currently exist then it could be profitable. I'm thinking poison inhibitors, acid neutralizers, and a single healing potion that works similar to the Heal Wound spell for a few pulses.

And lastly, lead to gold would be profitable, but who knows if the molecular compositions in Elanthia are comparable to Earth's. Hell, it's been mentioned flippantly by a couple different GMs that it can't be assumed molecules/atoms even EXIST in Elanthia. Aether could be the building blocks of matter, which would make the war mage guild quite powerful if they ever quit their squabbling and figured out how to split a stream of aether.

Visionary Heroiklim Zortal
Re: On making money... 02/17/2004 09:31 PM CST
Things like poison antidotes and acid neutralizers are indeed things that are pretty much expected to come out with alchemy. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

- Player of Miki & Cael

Re: On making money... 02/17/2004 10:05 PM CST
I know of one cleric who will definently be in the market for those. I don't plan on putting any of Heroiklim's mech into alchemy, unless the cleric GMs specifically state that it will be a needed skill in cleric enchanting. Even then I'd have to think it over. It just doesn't fit my image of the character.

Visionary Heroiklim Zortal
Re: On making money... 02/17/2004 11:43 PM CST
I asked Reexa about undead healing at vegas. Basically its dependant more on critter coding than the healing rewrite, but thats also a big factor. While Reexa and Jzara do have some control over the healing rewrites, critters are completely out of their scope, so while undead healing is a possibility and defenitely not forgotten...there are too many other important things that need to get done first. so, SOON! <snickers and runs>

In the end all things return to Chaos

* Skiori was just struck down! [11:20 pm]
Re: On making money... 02/18/2004 02:04 AM CST

There are many possibilities for concoctions..

Potion of Vitality

Potion of Awakening (when applied to one who is stunned , can bring the patient around)

I'd love to be able to make kirmhiro draughts.

I am hoping that not all potions will be completely limited to the alchemy career.

Especially if Empaths are supposed to get some vague "bonus" or "system" coming out.

I mean, I'd hate to have everyone pushed into foraging and alchemy by the reqs, and then only have access to the majority of the system by joining a career.

Now, I'm not saying that I don't think that the Alchemist Career shouldn't have access to things above and beyond what just people with the alchemy SKILL can do.

I mean, obviously, they are going to be focused on a career, and will have more access to special recipes and trained in the subtle art of alchemy.

I'm just hoping that other people have some large access to general alchemy as well.

Regards,
player of Syrath

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
www.stone-clan.com
Re: On making money... 02/18/2004 04:31 AM CST
>Kythryn proved that money CAN be made with herbs.

Aye, the herb kits would be enough to make a modest living off of (ie. give you enough for a reasonable oragami fix, but don't plan on training heavily with it) so long as we all didn't need to rely on them for said funds.

However, I think I was one of the only folks willing to shuffle the burden and the item count around to keep the kits made up. And, even with all the nice 'enhancements' we can do with herbs now, the drying and the forage precise, the market just wouldn't be there for even a tenth of our guild to support themselves selling just the 'fundamental' herbs like I put in the current kits. Although lots of warriors use herbs, lots of warriors also forage their own or just go ahead and purchase what they need when they need it from the shops. Even with the significant discount you'd get buying the kits vs. the herb shop stock, it's not like there is a high demand.

I think we'd all love to see the end of the day ability to make something like that nifty 1-sip, heal all potion that came with the Corik's Quest empath prize bag, although I file that away under my Pipe Dream section. And, I agree with Syrath in that it would be nice to have 2 different 'tracks' to follow for both the Empath Alchemy 'bonus' and the Alchemy Career. Maybe a way for empaths to use thier inate skills to help with the healing-type creations, and the alchemists in the careers be focused more on things like naptha and perfume.

I also am curious how the mech lore split will go. Although our proposed reqs were pretty brutal in the sense of so many survival skills not really being empath-friendly, I wince at the thought of the mech lore split happening before we know more about what direction the choice will force us to take. I know initially, I'd of course put the bulk of my skill into Alchemy, but then...Anatomy. Jeesh, what if I can't tend a paper cut anymore because I chose one path and not the other...hehe...and I know that's an exaggeration, but I really would like to get an idea about things 'in the hopper' for the mech lore-related skills before I have to split my mech.
(makes a note to ask about that on Friday at the meeting)

Kythryn
Re: On making money... 02/18/2004 05:47 PM CST
With all this talk of the Anatomy skill, is that really a done deal 1) that it is definitely coming, and 2) that it will be split off from Mech Lore? Anyway, I don't see how knowledge of Anatomy can be logically considered a mechanical skill. It seems like it should be a scholarship-type skill like Astrology, and thus it would make sense, assuming the skill is ever released at all, to grandfather ranks in it.
Re: On making money... 02/18/2004 05:50 PM CST

Anatomy isn't going to be a spin-off of mech lore, it is supposed to be a separate lore skill.

The mech lore spin offs are supposed to be..(keep in mind they'll probably find a better "name" for some of these)

Stoneworking, Metalworking, Clothworking, Woodworking, Alchemy, Artistry.

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
www.stone-clan.com
Re: On making money... 02/18/2004 05:58 PM CST
>2) I don't see alchemy as being terribly profitable, but maybe I will be surprised.

I think we'll be able to make other non-healing preparations such as perfumes and possibly dyes and inks, and sell them. I also find it significant that, for example, foraged roses have a per-part app value of around 1.2 kronar, but rose oil (the product of crushing roses) has a per-part value of 25 kronar. That tells me that the powers that be are planning for alchemical products to be a source of money.
Re: On making money... 02/18/2004 06:43 PM CST
If a new lore is made that is needed for empaths (anatomy) for healing, then one would hope it would be grandfathered.

If we must choose between healing as well as we've always been able to heal or keeping our ability to create potions or whatever, then that would be plain wrong.

What other purpose would anatomy serve? It's redundant. We have our empath lore--empathy. And we have first aid.

Rather, isn't it nice to just let things mech pertain to things mech, not healing? And for anatomy, we can have the charts for scholarship and firstaid.

If anyhing, change first aid to medical aid... and then leave it be.

Amo

_____________________________________________ "It's not easy being green." ~Kermit

Want change your colors? Contact me via AIM: Amorisse1
Send email to littlegoldhalo@yahoo.com for shifting/price list.
Re: On making money... 02/18/2004 06:49 PM CST
Another note, despite our new ways of learning empathy, it would be said to see empaths becoming obsolete if foraging or alchemy provides super healing potions.

In other games, isn't it only empaths who do that, anyways? If not, I still would hate to see us phased out of healing before given other ways to use our empathy.... at the very least use it to fight undead, if not do more things involving manipulation of feelings and body.

On the other hand, it already seems healing is not a high demand thing... I get to do it now and then...but I've long given up on staying in any one spot for the soul purpose of healing folks...whether its at a guild, safe spot, or hunting area... it's not full-time work. So, maybe we are already closer to obsolesence.

Amo

_____________________________________________ "It's not easy being green." ~Kermit

Want change your colors? Contact me via AIM: Amorisse1
Send email to littlegoldhalo@yahoo.com for shifting/price list.
Re: On making money... 02/18/2004 06:53 PM CST
From what I recall, Anatomy will have a much greater impact on the skills and abilities of Necromancers than Empaths. No doubt we'll have some application for it, but it's not about to replace any of our main skills.

- Player of Miki & Cael

Re: On making money... 02/18/2004 08:30 PM CST
>>I think we'll be able to make other non-healing preparations such as perfumes and possibly dyes and inks, and sell them.

See, those things just don't sound profitable to me. People will pay 300 plat for a nice set of leathers or, 30 plat for a nice weapon because it actually does something other than being fluff, it helps them maximize their training. I don't want an ability to spend a bunch of time creating fluff that I'll have to scrounge to find people to buy and only make a plat or two. Maybe some of the other mentioned acid and poison potions could be profitable, but I'm skeptical of that. Maybe alchemists will be able to create mental acuity potions or something that actually helps in training [like forged and tanned items do], that is why people pay so much for them.

On a seperate note, thanks for the information about undead healing, I am truly hoping this will happen someday.

Re: On making money... 02/18/2004 09:39 PM CST
>See, those things just don't sound profitable to me. People will pay 300 plat for a nice set of leathers or, 30 plat for a nice weapon because it actually does something other than being fluff, it helps them maximize their training.

I agree, but my thought/hope was that we'll be able to sell the more mundane stuff into the economic system, for example to shopowners or the trader commodity exchanges.

Things like vitality or strength potions would be great, naturally ;)
Re: On making money... 02/19/2004 04:01 PM CST
> See, those things just don't sound profitable to me. People will pay 300 plat for a nice set of leathers or, 30 plat for a nice weapon because it actually does something other than being fluff, it helps them maximize their training

People do pay large amounts of money for fluff too though.

Just because a thing doesn't "do something" doesn't mean there isn't a market for it.

Not to say that perfumes necessarily have a market, but they might.

~Y

http://www.bakshiloa.com/libraryindex.html
Re: On making money... 02/19/2004 04:38 PM CST
<<People do pay large amounts of money for fluff too>>

Ythik is exactly right. People pay insane amounts of plats for wings that really dont do anything besides look pretty. They'll buy multiple dresses/gown/corsets at well over 20 plat a piece, sometimes 5 times that. Just because it isnt usefull does not mean no one will buy it.

However, I seem to recall a post made by a GM that said something about an empath being able to make better weapons than Vibrato when careers come out. Go train your weapons and be a forger instead of someone who makes perfumes. Alchemy is not going to be our only option.

-Etrina

Empaths are the key to a healthy fun online game....you make them mad we all suffer
-Arjen-
Re: On making money... 02/19/2004 05:35 PM CST
<<However, I seem to recall a post made by a GM that said something about an empath being able to make better weapons than Vibrato when careers come out. Go train your weapons and be a forger instead of someone who makes perfumes.

I think the point of that statement was that forging will probably have more to do with "metalworking" (mech) than so directly focused on weapons, which is the huge part of why Empaths aren't involved in forging now.

Even under the new forging, I'll wager a lot of strength will still be needed, so if you are thinking about push towards being a weaponsmith, don't forget the stats to go with it.

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
www.stone-clan.com
Re: On making money... 02/20/2004 06:20 PM CST
Anyone want to buy a 12 stone carving knife I made? Apps poor/poor/poor poorly/poorly

Posted by Yazegi

You begin to lecture Silvyrfrost on the proper use of the brawling skill.

You fiddle with Silvyrfrost's hair until it is brushed over the top of her head to hide a receding hairline.
You let out a loud "Huzzah!"