just another tip story 01/23/2004 02:44 PM CST
I have three empaths in TF, and my husband has one. Generally people tip well in TF, but I have noticed that my husband receives tips that are a lot larger than mine. Mine are usually 1 to 2 gold, his are usually 1 to 10 plat. Once he got a 100 plat tip. I can't quite figure out what I am coing wrong or what he is doing correctly.

Tansette, Anje, and Tweedle
Re: just another tip story 01/23/2004 03:27 PM CST
Might be a matter of where you're set up to heal, or the people who usually frequent each empath. I know a lot of hunters get in the habit of going to the same empath all the time (if they're around) so he might just have some people who tip better. Or if he is around an area where people have more money (ie fewer newbs) that could do it. I know I'm always around Xing and I rarely ever get tips, but sometimes I'll get a few plat.

~Raycha
Re: just another tip story 01/23/2004 08:09 PM CST
That's true in real life, too, though. Sadly. Male food servers, studies have shown, get significantly larger tips than female, even taking into account the occasional big tip for the waitress from a table of flirtatious men.

_____________________________________________ "It's not easy being green." ~Kermit

Want change your colors? Contact me via AIM: Amorisse1
Send email to littlegoldhalo@yahoo.com for shifting/price list.
Re: just another tip story 01/23/2004 08:47 PM CST
Amo,

That's exactly the opposite of what my fiancee says, and everything she has said having served from high school and college.

Female servers, in all the resturaunts she has ever served in, always get better tips from the males.

Also, a study reported by the BBC shows that men who are engaged by attractive females have systmatically shown to be less fiscally conservative than males who are not engaged by attractive females.

It's all documented now!

~Mckeone, player thereof

Mea mihi conscientia pluris est quam omnium sermo. Circero, Letters to Atticus XII.28.2

Reexa says, "ok cleaning up cat gack"
Re: just another tip story 01/23/2004 08:53 PM CST
> Female servers, in all the resturaunts she has ever served in, always get better tips from the males.

That was certainly my experience as a restaurant manager for 7+ years. The women consistantly and usually by a large amount outdid the guys in tips. Well, that or the men consistantly did a better job at underreporting their tips than the ladies did.

- AGM Dartenian
Platinum Events Team

"You ain't seen nothin' yet!" - Al Jolson
Re: just another tip story 01/23/2004 10:19 PM CST
Dart,

How much did your servers claim? My sister in law just got a job serving, and they're trying to make her claim like 15%. My female says she only had to claim 8-10%

Just wondering, for comparsion. Don't know too many other resturaunt folk.

~Mckeone, player thereof

Mea mihi conscientia pluris est quam omnium sermo. Circero, Letters to Atticus XII.28.2

Re: just another tip story 01/24/2004 12:41 AM CST
Is tipping me less cause I'm a male consent?

Illcram the Evil Whatever

I*'*m an Empath and you can*'*t touch me!

http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: just another tip story 01/24/2004 12:44 AM CST
Get a corset...They won't notice.

- Player of Miki & Cael

Despairing due to that darn dimpling? Dump those dimples, discounted 100%!

IM Filthy Sentiment, or email my play.net addy.
Re: just another tip story 01/24/2004 10:24 AM CST
<<Is tipping me less cause I'm a male consent? - Illcram the Evil Whatever>>

Get me a moonie and some rum and I'll fix that for you.

Posted by "that Healer of Doom, The Empath of Destruction! Yazegi!"
Re: just another tip story 01/24/2004 01:18 PM CST
>How much did your servers claim? My sister in law just got a job serving, and they're trying to make her claim like 15%. My female says she only had to claim 8-10%

I don't know about everwhere else, but in Massachusetts, when I did payroll for a restaurant, I always had to make sure that the waitstaff claimed at least 7.5% of their TOTAL food and beverage sales for the week. If they didn't claim that much, I had to adjust it for them.
Re: just another tip story 01/24/2004 10:02 PM CST
Great. Now I have to go back and find where I read/saw that (can't remember if it was a Dateline NBC or a magazine article) or just concede that the data was wrong.

The report was about the wages of men vs. women...it was in the late 1990s...something like 20 years after women's lib, how are women fairing kind of article/show. It stood out in my mind at that time because I was a waitress, also. Having never been a cashier or manager, though, I can't compare what I made to my male counterparts.

I know this much, though...if I don't factor in health insurance and time off in summer, I make just about the same per month as a teacher as I did as a waitress!

~Amo

_____________________________________________ "It's not easy being green." ~Kermit

Re: just another tip story 01/24/2004 10:06 PM CST
Been ten years since I worked in a restaurant, but used to be 8% of overall sales...yet, any credit card tips were also reported as earned income.

Amo

Re: just another tip story 01/24/2004 11:17 PM CST
Men make like 15-25% more than women.

However, tips in resturaunts are different.

Women consistantly make statistically significantly more than men while serving.

~Mckeone, player thereof

Re: just another tip story 01/26/2004 07:44 AM CST
For good tips work a job serving alchol and card all the men like mad. When I worked at Jack Murphy stadium in San Diego and later at the Orange Show I'd card men and say 'You can't possibly be old enough to drink." Net result was twice my hourly wage in tips.

My husband working the same jobs made about 10 bucks a day in tips.

A ship's rat scurries into view.
The ship's rat tries to tend its wounds.
Re: just another tip story 01/26/2004 06:27 PM CST
::wistful sigh::

I haven't heard someone call that thing Jack Murphy in AGES. Heck, it was Qualcomm for about 3 years before I figured out who they were, even.

I got tipped $20 once as a cashier because I let some guys in right at closing so they could buy some toilet paper. It was awesome. :)

Meghan

"Do you have your exit buddy?"
Re: just another tip story 01/31/2004 07:54 PM CST
Interesting, since I've noticed, on average, I do get tipped better than many female or straight male empaths I'm working right next to.

What I've seen, in my peregrinations, is that males have a definate tendency to tipping someone heavier that they're flirting with, even if they have no intent to follow through, such as a straight male tipping a gay male, oddly enough. I flirt with everyone, therefore I get tipped heavier. Just my guess for why you see this. I've also noticed the more flirty females do get tipped heavier than the more uptight ones.

Course I've also been totally done out of tips when the guy I was dealing with actually got into flirting back with me. <g> Yup, I'll trade a kiss for a tip. Kisses are harder to come by than crystals.

Dio
Re: just another tip story 02/03/2004 02:17 PM CST
<< haven't heard someone call that thing Jack Murphy in AGES. Heck, it was Qualcomm for about 3 years before I figured out who they were, even.>>

Same here. I grew up in SD.

Aaah, feeling nastalgic.

Woodcubb of Ilithi