Compel, I want to like you. 04/03/2017 07:59 PM CDT

But casting you gives me a 2 second roundtime and doesn't actually keep the target out of my room for any longer than it takes to type >w.

You have potential though.

If you'd keep targets out of the room for a short period based on my success in the contest, say 4-12 seconds, it would be enough time to recast a buff, or throw a heal on myself. Then you'd be very useful.

Compel, go forth, and better yourself.
Re: Compel, I want to like you. 04/03/2017 08:04 PM CDT
Compel does stick to the target for some duration and keep re-expelling them if they come back and try to reengage. Is that not happening for you?

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Compel, I want to like you. 04/03/2017 08:26 PM CDT

>>Compel does stick to the target for some duration and keep re-expelling them if they come back and try to reengage. Is that not happening for you?

Yes, but only if they try to advance, which does nothing against ranged attacks or spell effects. As far as defending against melee, innocence has that pretty well covered already IMO.
Re: Compel, I want to like you. 04/04/2017 02:51 PM CDT
I agree, compel or innocence is useless against ranged attacks and I've died once to that false sense of security before I realized their limitations. I have the same feeling for paralysis, which I just paid to remove from my spellbook. I've never found it useful because it wears off before I can attack again. I'd love to hear from proponents of paralysis and how they use it though. Maybe I was just using it wrong.
Re: Compel, I want to like you. 04/04/2017 04:03 PM CDT
>>I've never found it useful because it wears off before I can attack again. I'd love to hear from proponents of paralysis and how they use it though. Maybe I was just using it wrong.

I think the stronger you cast it, the longer it works. I know I've seen Empaths use it super-efficiently, and I'm super-envious over how it also includes knocking someone prone.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Compel, I want to like you. 04/04/2017 06:22 PM CDT

Paralysis and Innocence are both nice spells in our toolkit, but Compel as it's currently implemented has no use in pve that I've found, and VERY limited use in pvp.
Re: Compel, I want to like you. 04/05/2017 11:40 AM CDT
<< Compel as it's currently implemented has no use in pve that I've found>>

It's handy when you want to keep fewer than four creatures on you but more than zero. I often hunt things that are sufficiently challenging that I want three of them attacking me. Using Compel allows me to keep three engaged, one Manipulated, and one off somewhere else for HUNT purposes (in a 4-per-character spawn area with no other characters in it). Plus re-casting it if the extra one wanders back in after the spell has worn off (or more start coming in because someone else entered the area) provides Debilitation experience for actually using the debilitation effect (as opposed to just casting only for the sake of experience), which is sort of nice.

Some of this is probably pretty creature-specific though. Some of them kill each other so fast that it would be unnecessary, while others will literally never kill each other. It may be pretty situational, but I find Compel to be a useful thing to have at my disposal.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Compel, I want to like you. 04/05/2017 01:26 PM CDT

>>Some of this is probably pretty creature-specific though. Some of them kill each other so fast that it would be unnecessary, while others will literally never kill each other. It may be pretty situational, but I find Compel to be a useful thing to have at my disposal.

I find that it's intended pve use is VERY niche and could be expanded on, I'm at a loss as to what that could be though. In pvp it would be great if it just kept people out for a minimum amount of time, or could send people fleeing multiple rooms away.
Re: Compel, I want to like you. 04/05/2017 10:29 PM CDT

> I find that it's intended pve use is VERY niche and could be expanded on, I'm at a loss as to what that could be though. In pvp it would be great if it just kept people out for a minimum amount of time, or could send people fleeing multiple rooms away.

I would love a compel 2 or compel 3 to prevent the 2+ or 3+ creatures from entering or spawning in the room. If they enter, they're pushed out.
Re: Compel, I want to like you. 04/06/2017 05:06 AM CDT

>>I would love a compel 2 or compel 3 to prevent the 2+ or 3+ creatures from entering or spawning in the room. If they enter, they're pushed out.

That would be awesome.