From the X3 Empath Folders, Eventual New Healing System Info 12/07/2012 01:04 AM CST
In response to this post: http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/DragonRealms%203.0/Empaths/view/131

>>I would love to read details.

Right now I have approval for a slow group healing method, that would be start out healing sort of capriciously, with the capriciousness factor decreasing with skill. Right now this is slated to be 90th circle, ish.

As well as an instantaneous transfer of all wounds with no reduction in severity, that is slated for 80th circle, ish.

Wound redirection, slated for 70th circle, ish.

All of this (except redirection) is post healing rewrite, though. Post X3 I expect to mostly be putting out fires and dealing with bugs for a while, then once X3 is settled in, to finish the rewrite of the healing system, with these additions to follow "soon."

The healing rewrite is pretty massive so it will probably be tested in the test instance once X3 has well and truly settled down. It has been back burnered for a while, basically since I realized it would probably be a mistake to release the Empath shock rewrite, spell rewrite, everything rewrite...all at the same time. So once I can turn my attention to it, I'll have to refamiliarize myself with it, which will take a while. There are some insidious bugs that I haven't been able to track down that need to be fixed, and there are some engine changes that need to be made that I am still waiting on. But new healing is the next push for me after X3 is finally out the door. (No timeline, as ever.)

These healing methods are meant to teach better than the standard healing, since the healing curve for the standard healing actually begins to taper somewhat at around the empathy that you'd have at 90th circle.

I have more ideas but they have not yet been approved so I'll wait to talk about those until I actually have the green light from The Bosses.

Melete
Here as he walked by
On the 3rd month of Lirisa the Archer
In the year of the Iron Toad
A nameless Dwarf
In a flash of genius discovered
The fundamental formula for
THE BEARD INTEGER
& cut it on a stone of this bridge
Re: From the X3 Empath Folders, Eventual New Healing System Info 12/07/2012 07:46 AM CST
Is the plan with a healing system rewrite to focus solely on empathy (lore skill) feats, or do you think that some of these changes might involve the magic system as well?

I ask because when you say group healing, I picture healing while transfering to some degree. And moving a wound implies to me some magical misdirection.

Nikpack
Re: From the X3 Empath Folders, Eventual New Healing System Info 12/07/2012 11:19 AM CST
Me Likey!

Could you go into a little more detail about group healing? You mean like one empath healing multiple people?

The following also did not escape my attention:

>R>tou warr
>You reach out and lay your hand on the sedate alfar warrior's arm.

>You sense a successful empathic link has been forged between you and a sedate alfar warrior.
>You feel the burning fire of pain and suffering slowly building as you begin to draw out the truth of the warrior's injuries.

>The creature's life force is alien to you. Though you can empathize with a sedate alfar warrior in a sense, peculiar sensations begin to overwhelm you and you feel your control of the empathic link slip away.

My takeaway is that the backend support for critter healing is there, waiting... waiting...

~ Player of Farman et al.
Re: From the X3 Empath Folders, Eventual New Healing System Info 12/07/2012 11:22 AM CST
That sounds really cool. I especially like the group heal.

I just have a question about this part:

<<As well as an instantaneous transfer of all wounds with no reduction in severity, that is slated for 80th circle, ish.>>

Does this mean that the TAKE ALL syntax is no longer part of the new base healing system? When (a largely broken version of) it was in test for a couple days a few years back I thought that was pretty neat, and it was very nearly instantaneous. I'm just having trouble picturing a dedicated "instantaneous transfer of everything" ability being different from it in any noteworthy way.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: From the X3 Empath Folders, Eventual New Healing System Info 12/07/2012 09:06 PM CST
>>I picture healing while transfering to some degree.

Group healing in this context means transferring the wounds of multiple people, yes, slowly and automatically, not using magic to heal the wounds on a group. That's to say, healing in this context means "transferring to the Empath" and not just making the wound go away.

Empathy is a lore skill, not a magic skill, so the healing systems will be all Empathy.

>>group healing? You mean like one empath healing multiple people?

Yes, there will be a way for an Empath to create persistent transference links that don't require constant touching to be reinstated. So the empath will be able to perceive the health of people with whom they have these links, without having to touch, as well as heal through them, so long as the patient and the empath are still in the same room. So you'd create these persistent links then start the slow group healing, and it would work on whoever you had the persistent link with.

>>Does this mean that the TAKE ALL syntax is no longer part of the new base healing system

TAKE ALL will still be a thing in the new healing system, but it's not instantaneous, there is still a several-second delay. The instantaneous healing would really be instantaneous, and it would teach more. It's also needed for another system that I am cooking up, but am not yet ready to talk about.

>>My takeaway is that the backend support for critter healing is there, waiting... waiting...

Critter healing isn't really supported, I just added that bit because I knew people would try to heal their Alfar <g>. That's not to say it's not ever going to happen, just that no work on it has been done, nor have any proposals been written.

Melete
Here as he walked by
On the 3rd month of Lirisa the Archer
In the year of the Iron Toad
A nameless Dwarf
In a flash of genius discovered
The fundamental formula for
THE BEARD INTEGER
& cut it on a stone of this bridge
Re: Percieve health benefits? 12/07/2012 09:21 PM CST
While we're talking about sprucing up healing towards across the spectrum, I love the benefit of perceive health (since people use that so much to train) that occasionally you will sense someone drop to near-death. I love suddenly rushing in and saving someone in another room. I've noticed in 3.0 with the vitality changes, I tend to have a bit more of a window with near death in some situations as well.

I know perceive health has said to be a bit of a resource hog, but would it be possible to enhance this feature? It doesn't seem to happen very often currently, and I haven't notice this change as I've gotten more skill. Admittedly it is very hard to test.

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.
Re: Percieve health benefits? 12/08/2012 08:21 PM CST
>Yes, there will be a way for an Empath to create persistent transference links that don't require constant touching to be reinstated. So the empath will be able to perceive the health of people with whom they have these links, without having to touch, as well as heal through them, so long as the patient and the empath are still in the same room. So you'd create these persistent links then start the slow group healing, and it would work on whoever you had the persistent link with.

This is a great direction to take high level healing.. thank you for posting your thoughts on this as healing has been stale for such a long time.
Re: Percieve health benefits? 12/09/2012 02:38 PM CST
Good to see there are plans for some high-level perks for Empaths.
Re: From the X3 Empath Folders, Eventual New Healing System Info 01/24/2013 02:07 PM CST
Very much looking forward to seeing some of these changes (eventually) come to fruition now that 3.0 is out, pending more debugging of course.