Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/12/2011 11:06 PM CDT
While I have your attention, how would you guys like to see transferred wound reduction work? That is, when an empath with higher empathy skills transfers a wound, the wound the empath 'receives' is smaller than the wound that the patient had in the first place.

I know the challenge is what is important to a lot of you, so if the wound reduction is too great I can see that somewhat removing the challenge. At the same time, reducing wounds with increased empathy skill is yet again one of those elusive "uses for empathy" that I have been trying to come up with.

This is just a general brainstorming sort of thing. Wound reduction on transfer is already built into the new healing system, but I can monkey with the parameters quite a lot.

The idea of a Transcendent Empath healing a totally obliterated person and having only small scratches and the odd twitching is attractive, but I don't want to do that at the expense of any sort of challenge for high level empaths.

Melete
[Turmis] I'm about to shoot beards in the face
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/12/2011 11:28 PM CDT
>>The idea of a Transcendent Empath healing a totally obliterated person and having only small scratches and the odd twitching is attractive, but I don't want to do that at the expense of any sort of challenge for high level empaths.

One way to cull this seemingly 'invincible' state is to scale the amount of wound transference reduction based on something like concentration and have healing over time drain it. So healing one person at 100% concentration yields hardly any wounds and takes you down to 90%. Healing a second person gives you slightly more wounds than the first and takes you down to 80%. Now that your concentration is at 80% your transference reduction isn't as potent as it was and it keeps getting worse the lower in concentration you go, until you're back at a 1:1 ratio at maybe 50% concentration?

Anyway, just an idea. I have no idea if healing people drains concentration to begin with :P

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/12/2011 11:46 PM CDT
I would definitely like to see some type of reduction based upon skill but I think the idea of going from totally obliterated to some scratches may be a bit much. I'm thinking that there should be a set cap, a wound can only be reduced by a certain percent when healing it. I know there are some wounds that I would love to be able to transfer in one go instead of having to take part of it, healing then taking the rest. As long as the outcome is that a body part that is completely gone can result in a lesser wound on the empath taking it based on skill I would be very happy.

Meadbh
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/13/2011 12:36 AM CDT
Honestly I'm on the fance about wound reduction. It's been on the wish list for years and it has awesome potential if it's done right. What 'right' would be, I'm not certain.

Bottom line wound reduction would just make the amount of wounds until critical on a body part go up at a rate dependant upon how small they can be made onto that part. I can see this being a problem in triage where basically the large empaths can just wick away wounds and the younger empaths are just left twiddling their thumbs. In a normal healing situation, it'd just be worse to the point that you will have to add something to allow young empaths to learn healing. Or to make reduction teach so much older empaths will not need to heal patient after patient to train.

Is this planned to be a feat or just a skill any empath can do once they have the skill? For example would like the transfer: TAKE person WOUND small fast part? With danger of it going rogue, of course, when they're first learning it. Or would you have to take a quest or something before you could use the ability? I can see it both ways and I'm not sure which I prefer. It makes sense to be just a natural extension...but then it also might potentially have ties to shift, so it'd make sense as a quest.

I'm already worried with the new combat that big wounds will be going away for the most part, so wound reduction on top of it has me more than a bit concerned. I'm hoping there is some thought going on for the overall system to make sure there are still ways to learn by healing for all empaths and not forcing most of the empaths into power walking just to level again. Basically this is what I'm on the fence about... Just because it's been on the list for years and is a obvious ability for transferance.... Will the system support it, however?
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/13/2011 12:59 AM CDT
>>I'm hoping there is some thought going on for the overall system to make sure there are still ways to learn by healing for all empaths and not forcing most of the empaths into power walking just to level again. Basically this is what I'm on the fence about... Just because it's been on the list for years and is a obvious ability for transferance.... Will the system support it, however?

Definitely; I'm very aware of how delicately the situation must be handled, which is why I'm trying to get tons and tons of feedback before I go mucking around in a system that is so integral to the empath experience. I don't want to release an awesome healing system that has the side effect of making healing too easy or just boring, or imbalances it in some other hard-to-foresee way. In the new system's current state I feel like it's a bit too far towards EZ-MODE but I don't want to remove features or tone things down too much without some feedback from you guys.

Also, don't despair about the new combat system. If it ends up causing a dearth of wounds to heal, I can almost certainly tweak the EXP up for you guys. This would require a lot of careful research on my part, so it might not be something that happened right away. But it's certainly something I will be keeping an eye on.

Melete
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/13/2011 01:15 AM CDT
That's great to hear! I really am excited about the potential in the new systems and am very glad you're coming to us for feedback so we love the system coming out rather than immediately reject it because it is a view most of us don't want. Thank you!
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/13/2011 01:47 AM CDT
>>DR-Melete: The idea of a Transcendent Empath healing a totally obliterated person and having only small scratches and the odd twitching is attractive

I like the idea of empathy-based wound reduction, but game balance probably requires something less than this -- not only to maintain some "challenge" for Empaths but to make sure that there is work for all levels of Empaths. (I'm already at the point where I can handle the workload of several younger Empaths.) It would certainly be nice to be able to transfer all of a level-13 wound (to a vital area) in one pulse without killing myself.

Is wound redirection (the ability to transfer the patient's wound to a different part of the Empath's body) still planned for Healing 2.0?

"PHA = Healer Union. They charge for healing based on your injuries. We will now pause while everyone gives their opinion on this." -- Teilan
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/13/2011 02:15 AM CDT
>>Is wound redirection (the ability to transfer the patient's wound to a different part of the Empath's body) still planned for Healing 2.0?

Yes, it is. Wound redirection will be an empathy feat. The syntax nightmare is avoided by a REDIRECT verb. It's something the empath has to concentrate on, so you get a finite number of redirects. The ultimate redirect will be to redirect ALL wounds to one body part. So wound reduction factors in here, too. If I make the wound reduction too awesome, then an uber empath could theoretically redirect an entire disintegrated moon mage to their left hand, heal it, and be ready to go again. (That won't be possible, in reality, but it illustrates how the two might be used together.)

Redirecting wounds does teach more than a typical transfer does.

Melete
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/13/2011 08:56 AM CDT
I've been trying to decide how I feel about this, but I think I'm another on the fence. Some thoughts:

Pros:
There definitely need to be more uses for higher empathy, and this is something.

It makes logical sense that skill in healing would result in doing it "better" somehow.

It would be nice to have more "ooo, that's nifty" skills and maybe even a quest to go along with it.

Cons:
As many have already stated, this would reduce much of the risk, therefore removing the "challenge" of Empathy.

Empaths will have a tough time getting bleeders to practice first aid with - I know, this seems like an odd complaint, but it's nice to take a bleeder from a patient and get to play with it for a while before healing it up. If you automatically reduce the severity of the wound, you lose this and need pulpy moonies to get a good set going (or multiple patients). We already lack patients in general.

I actually think "making it easier on high level empaths to get back into the fray faster" is a con, not a pro, of this skill. I can get back into the fray rather quickly after cleaning up even the bloodiest of patients already, it's technique, not empathy skill, but still. If you make it more based on my empathy skill, I would never have had the motivation to develop the technique, but it has been fun doing so.

And as an "aside"
>>Additionally, maybe it could just be an ability that you activate and it lasts so long and has a cool down.

If wound reduction were something I had to activate, or do intentionally, I'd fall off the fence and land slightly on the "pro" side of this. I'm not sure, however, how it would be an "empathy feat" at this point though, versus a spell. Perhaps through using syntax like "transfer wound reduce" and having a limited number of them that I can do at once? When I was a young empath, I could only maintain one empathic link at a time. Now I haven't been able to find enough people to test on to see what my limit is (I know it's greater than 9 as I have gone on quests as the only empath and linked with every member of my quest group at once to check their wounds). Perhaps there are a limited number of wounds (total, on a single patient, etc) that you can reduce at once, thus giving high level empaths not only something more to do, but something to strive for (it takes that transcendent empath to do it for a pulpy moon mage).

~Player of ChelmorAes
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/13/2011 09:29 AM CDT
I'll agree with many of the people so far and say I'm not sure how I feel. I like the idea that there is something for higher empathy ranks to actually do instead of it feeling like it caps so low (with exception to getting new shifts). But at the same time I can see how this would make it much harder for lower empaths to actually get patients and that reducing it when you don't want to (trying to get a bleeder) would be disadvantageous.

>>If wound reduction were something I had to activate, or do intentionally, I'd fall off the fence and land slightly on the "pro" side of this. I'm not sure, however, how it would be an "empathy feat" at this point though, versus a spell. Perhaps through using syntax like "transfer wound reduce" and having a limited number of them that I can do at once? When I was a young empath, I could only maintain one empathic link at a time. Now I haven't been able to find enough people to test on to see what my limit is (I know it's greater than 9 as I have gone on quests as the only empath and linked with every member of my quest group at once to check their wounds). Perhaps there are a limited number of wounds (total, on a single patient, etc) that you can reduce at once, thus giving high level empaths not only something more to do, but something to strive for (it takes that transcendent empath to do it for a pulpy moon mage).

Perhaps something like Speculate Finesse with the traders? An ability that we can activate that lasts a certain period of time and has a cooldown that are based off empathy ranks. This way I can activate it when I really want/need it but it isn't necessarily something I would or could always use. It would make my empathy ranks help but not in a flat all the time way.
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/13/2011 09:38 AM CDT
>>Perhaps something like Speculate Finesse with the traders? An ability that we can activate that lasts a certain period of time and has a cooldown that are based off empathy ranks. This way I >>can activate it when I really want/need it but it isn't necessarily something I would or could always use. It would make my empathy ranks help but not in a flat all the time way.

The thing about these is they also require concentration, and it makes sense that they do, you have to maintain your enhanced state. However, since concentration also takes a hit when we establish connections and heal, we'd probably lose it before the pulse. I think doing it this way might actually make it HARDER for empaths to heal without dying, rather than easier, since you have the risk of dropping your concentration to the point where you lose the "speculate" mid pulse and end up dead. Now, I'm not necessarily against something like that (another thing I'd have to think in depth about), but I'm not sure that was the intention of this particular skill tweak either.

~Player of ChelmorAes
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/13/2011 10:11 AM CDT
I really like the idea transferred wound reduction. It appears to be a great middle ground between getting rid of overhealing and provides upper-level uses for empathy without removing all of the risk.

Nikpack
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/13/2011 11:56 AM CDT
As I've said before, I'm pretty excited about this one. I don't share the concerns of others that it would make things too easy or somehow trivialize the healing process. To me, the "cool factor" greatly outweighs any reduction to the challenge of healing. I don't feel it should be an activated ability, but rather an always-on sort of thing that just simply happens with skill. I also don't think that it'll somehow create a shortage of injuries to heal with higher level Empaths able to handle more (we're already at approximately zero, so there's nowhere to go but up). On the contrary, with the expectation that people will have to fight things that can actually hurt them in order to learn, it may very well be necessary to have a tool like this to manage several patients at once (such as in a group combat situation).

I'm sort of up in the air about just how much should be the maximum possible reduction, but I'm tending to lean toward somewhere in the 50%-75% range. So maybe it would be possible to heal our good ol' ash pile of a Moon Mage and end up just barely bleeding all over. That's at the high end, of course...this should obviously be something that one grows into.

The one thing that the ability needs to be is consistent. At a given skill level, you should be able to count on always getting the same level of reduction whenever you transfer anything. Making the art of knowing how much you can handle dynamic is a good thing, but adding inconsistencies into the mix would just end up with people having to leave a huge safety margin and make the whole thing a lot less fun.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor, who is at this point becoming increasingly optimistic about the future sustainability of life.
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/13/2011 02:48 PM CDT
>>Lambl: I don't feel it should be an activated ability, but rather an always-on sort of thing that just simply happens with skill.

I'd prefer alternate syntax, such as what Dymphna posted, so that high-level Empaths would still have the option of taking the wound without reducing the severity.

"PHA = Healer Union. They charge for healing based on your injuries. We will now pause while everyone gives their opinion on this." -- Teilan
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/13/2011 07:47 PM CDT
>The idea of a Transcendent Empath healing a totally obliterated person and having only small scratches and the odd twitching is attractive, but I don't want to do that at the expense of any sort of challenge for high level empaths.

Wasn't going to chime in, pretty much in agreement with what seems like the majority to keep the prospect to overheal in the system.

However, I do think it would be nice that the more advanced you get, you have a natural ability to extend the time it takes you to get to that overheal, as in the above example. I think it is safe to say that while overhealing should still be something each empath should be aware of, as you get more advanced you should also be able to push your body to do more for you (in this case, take more wounds safely). It fits into my understanding of our (current) Empathy skill at least.

Really, all the above example means to me is that instead of 1 pulpy body pushing a transcendent empath to overheal, it would take 5 or 6. Still would be possible, but would just take more carnage to get you there.

Kythryn
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/13/2011 07:57 PM CDT
>>However, I do think it would be nice that the more advanced you get, you have a natural ability to extend the time it takes you to get to that overheal, as in the above example. I think it >>is safe to say that while overhealing should still be something each empath should be aware of, as you get more advanced you should also be able to push your body to do more for you (in this >>case, take more wounds safely). It fits into my understanding of our (current) Empathy skill at least.

I thought more stamina did this already (and therefore by extension, Gift of Life)?

~Player of ChelmorAes
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/13/2011 08:02 PM CDT
>>Dymphna: I thought more stamina did this already (and therefore by extension, Gift of Life)?

The amount of damage that the body can take is static. Training stamina doesn't give your chest any more "HP," though it does increase your vitality (how long it takes you to bleed to death).

Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/14/2011 02:22 AM CDT
>>The idea of a Transcendent Empath healing a totally obliterated person and having only small scratches and the odd twitching is attractive, but I don't want to do that at the expense of any sort of challenge for high level empaths.

You're right, this is exactly the problem with this kind of feat.

What I suggest is upping the "reward" for high Empathy but also upping the risk. That is to say, higher Empathy should unlock the ability to try riskier moves that also have high reward (transferred wound reduction).

Just how to implement said risk, well, I have no idea. It could be something like backfiring, where there's a chance of failure that could explode multiple body parts. Or maybe the wounds seep back in later at random times. Or maybe you have to perform just the right sequence of events (unique to the patient) or risk making things worse.

You might also want to consider having a bit of both -- they naturally get (a little) better at wound reduction with Empathy, but they have the potential to be really good if they accept the risky option.

In any case, yeah. Some kind of risk always makes things interesting.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/14/2011 05:28 AM CDT
<<I'd prefer alternate syntax, such as what Dymphna posted, so that high-level Empaths would still have the option of taking the wound without reducing the severity.>>

This stance confuses me. It's always worse to be more injured as opposed to less injured (because injuries are bad for you), so there's really no reason to want to let yourself get more injured when you could otherwise be less injured. This is really a no brainer to me; any part of the game that encourages a player to want to be more injured (most likely First Aid experience gain) should be considered horribly broken beyond all recognition and in need of serious revision.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/14/2011 08:19 AM CDT
>>It's always worse to be more injured as opposed to less injured (because injuries are bad for you), so there's really no reason to want to let yourself get more injured when you could >>otherwise be less injured. This is really a no brainer to me; any part of the game that encourages a player to want to be more injured (most likely First Aid experience gain) should be >>considered horribly broken beyond all recognition and in need of serious revision.

This ^^ is an opinion.

Let me give you some reasons (not an all inclusive list) why it is BETTER to be more injured than not for some folks:

1) RP - Some Empaths, me at times, take pride in their injured status. If we could heal someone completely and not SHOW a single injury, that would take away from this opportunity.
2) First Aid - the system of first aid is not broken simply because it's better to be bleeding than not to learn first aid. Let's think of real life. Sure, you can go to medical school and learn all the things you need to "know" about healing, first aid, etc. But until you get into the field and practice it for yourself, you're not a doctor, you're a wanna be. That's why we have rotations in our medical school system (and many countries do as well). Even after that, you're not considered the expert on First Aid. You need to go out and have more wounded people to heal and fix and practice on. You need the hand's on. Learning from a book (in DR's case, a compendium) should never be nearly as good as learning from actually attending to wounds. And for those who don't want to sit around waiting for someone else to show up with a bleeder for them to work on, having one of your own is "better."
3) Make other tasks harder - Sometimes having an injury helps you with learning other things because it makes them more difficult. For example, I don't do a lot of my own hunting, so I rely on my lockpicking and disarming learning to come from those boxes that folks give me. My IG sister gets lots of dusk ogre boxes and brings them to me. They are below my skill level, but if I do them with injured hands, I can learn more from them because I've made my task harder. Again, a time when more injured is better than less injured.
4) Magic training - I've seen a lot of complaints about folks who say they can't train their magic while healing. I've honestly not encountered this problem yet. If I take a full set of injuries from someone and then heal myself up location by location, I get my magic moving just as nicely as when I sit and run my magic script casting a useless spell over and over again. I also get the fun RP of being an empath and getting to heal myself up. Sure, I could cast FOC, but why? And there are times when I just don't want to be falling down stunned but don't mind using my magic to heal myself up.
5) The fun of testing thresholds - Yep, that's right, sometimes, I want to see exactly how hurt I can get before I fall down. It would take that much longer if I had to find even more patients to run this test (I already cannot do it on most single patients). How injured can I be and still braid grass? How do the different levels of hand injuries affect my smelting? Do I have to fully heal to be able to do these things or can some injuries remain?

~Player of ChelmorAes
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/14/2011 11:47 AM CDT
<<Let me give you some reasons (not an all inclusive list) why it is BETTER to be more injured than not for some folks:>>

I don't want to go too far off on this tangent, so I'll just remind you that we're talking about injuries here. Wounds. Physical bodily damage. Pain. Suffering. Misery. A believable character does not want to be in this state, nor does s/he enjoy it (unless you're pointedly playing a character with a particular lack of sanity or something). It hurts and is miserable, no matter how good s/he may be at bearing it.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/14/2011 11:58 AM CDT
>>I don't want to go too far off on this tangent, so I'll just remind you that we're talking about injuries here. Wounds. Physical bodily damage. Pain. Suffering. Misery.

Injury does not equal pain. Pain is not objective. Pain does not necessitate suffering or misery. It's fine not to go off on the tangent, but if you are going to remind me of things, they should be true things.

>>A believable character does not want to be in this state, nor does s/he enjoy it

Perhaps you don't know the same empaths I know. Or maybe you just don't believe in them. We could get into a detailed discussion of the human state, psychology, and injury (including disability) but it would take us off topic. Ultimately your logic doesn't negate the general point, the system is as it is and it makes sense for empaths to want wounds. I think we should move to a "is the first aid system broken" sort of topic if you're interested in going farther on this.

~Player of ChelmorAes
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/14/2011 03:36 PM CDT
>>Lambl: I don't want to go too far off on this tangent, so I'll just remind you that we're talking about injuries here. Wounds. Physical bodily damage. Pain. Suffering. Misery. A believable character does not want to be in this state, nor does s/he enjoy it (unless you're pointedly playing a character with a particular lack of sanity or something). It hurts and is miserable, no matter how good s/he may be at bearing it.

That is a fair point. My character doesn't like being wounded (and often scoffs at Empaths who complain about being healthy). However, as long as that's the best way to train first aid, many players are going to find that the first aid experience from nursing bleeders outweighs non-mechanical considerations (such as the reduction in believability).

>>Dymphna: Injury does not equal pain. Pain is not objective. Pain does not necessitate suffering or misery.

Although Empaths most likely have a higher-than-average tolerance of pain, empathic healing is depicted as an intensely painful act. (You can see evidence of this when healing pulses are accompanied by messaging like, "You fall screaming to the ground grasping your mangled right leg!")

Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/14/2011 03:46 PM CDT
>>unless you're pointedly playing a character with a particular lack of sanity or something

This is why my Empath is a follower of Be'Ort. Gotta be at least a little crazy to even consider taking wounds all the time.

Really, I just wanted to throw my vote into the 'keep overhealing' party. It's a fun challenge and like most of the others who have posted here, I feel like I'm at my best when I'm in triage with 7 bodies and 2 about-to-be-bodies and trying to heal myself enough to keep someone alive.

Wound reduction would be nice but what I would like to see it implemented as is another modifier like quick/slow/half/most. Let it be a tech; it should be one available early in an Empath's career, maybe 20th circle and should give reduced experience but to offset that a bit, could give a small bit of xp in primary magic. This way, people can use it as they please and a younger empath can use it to help out in a triage situation a bit more.

Player of Nithhogr
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/14/2011 04:39 PM CDT
>>Although Empaths most likely have a higher-than-average tolerance of pain, empathic healing is depicted as an intensely painful act. (You can see evidence of this when healing pulses are >>accompanied by messaging like, "You fall screaming to the ground grasping your mangled right leg!")

I haven't fallen down in pain in what feels like forever. I fall down when I literally have no leg left to stand on. The way the brain works as well (IRL), continued existence of the same pain over time will reduce in perception of pain. I'd have to summarize a pain an analgesia course to fully explain it, but if you want some information on it, visit boards on folks who suffer from chronic disabilities and how much actual suffering they experienced at first versus how much those who have had the condition for years experience.

Is this true for everyone? Nope, but it doesn't require insanity to be true. I have cuts and scratches on my body at all times (IRL, not IG). I don't notice them.

Then again, a lot of empaths also roleplay masochists. So it's a distinct possibility that I'm in the minority in thinking that empaths who like to have wounds may very well be those empaths with higher pain thresholds (notice it's not tolerance, it's a threshold, they literally don't notice pain, versus grinning and bearing it).

~Player of ChelmorAes
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/14/2011 11:52 PM CDT
>I'd have to summarize a pain an analgesia course to fully explain it, but if you want some information on it, visit boards on folks who suffer from chronic disabilities and how much actual suffering they experienced at first versus how much those who have had the condition for years experience.

As someone who is constantly in severe pain, I agree with Karthor.

You learn to tolerate pain, but it never gets better. There's an incredibly huge difference. Paper cuts still bother me, stubbing my toe still bothers me, despite the much more severe and constant elsewhere.

All successful animals learn to avoid pain and work towards reducing it. It's innate and one of the most basic drives.

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/15/2011 05:53 AM CDT
I'm with Karthor on this one. I used to be interested in training FA beyond 400 ranks, but as a combat empath, I found that keeping bleeders was hazardous to my health. Occasionally, one light hit from a critter and BAM. I was dead. I take pride in how quickly I can heal others and then heal myself. Completely.

If you want to RP that you like to carry wounds and bleeders and live with the pain, etc. Go ahead. But you're in the minority, and my character would scoff at such nonsense and silliness.

________________________________________________________________________________

We've decided that instead of spells Paladins will be a new arm of the Bard guild utilizing interpretive dance moves.

~GM Zeyurn
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/15/2011 10:00 AM CDT
>>As someone who is constantly in severe pain, I agree with Karthor.

It is a distinct possibility that I and my friends are freaks. I am not in constant pain, however, I am in a constant state of injury. I don't notice the pain unless I think about the injury and focus on whether or not it hurts (typically only when the doctor wants to assess where the pain is, if it's gotten better, etc). It's not constant suffering, or even constant pain in the subjective sense. It is, however, constant injury. That is the distinction I was making. If you are constantly experiencing PAIN, yea, you're probably not happy about it. But if you are injured but not experiencing pain, then it's not suffering and misery at that point. (the friends I refer to include one with fibromayalgia and a partially quadriplegic friend. Both are in constant states of what could be considered injury, neither are in constant pain. Then there's the one I call a freak to her face, she went through the entirety of childbirth without experiencing pain once despite no drugs. That's superhuman in my mind). PS - I'm sorry you are in constant pain. I hope it has a prospect of getting better.

>>If you want to RP that you like to carry wounds and bleeders and live with the pain, etc. Go ahead. But you're in the minority, and my character would scoff at such nonsense and silliness.

I'm cool with that. It's clear I'm in the minority, both with my RP and with my division between injury and pain. I've been scoffed for worse things.

~Player of ChelmorAes
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/15/2011 02:03 PM CDT
>I am not in constant pain, however, I am in a constant state of injury. I don't notice the pain unless I think about the injury and focus on whether or not it hurts (typically only when the doctor wants to assess where the pain is, if it's gotten better, etc). It's not constant suffering, or even constant pain in the subjective sense. It is, however, constant injury. That is the distinction I was making.

I think, when you consider the extremes of damage that empaths go through on a regular basis, this is probably not applicable. You're talking about variable location, variable intensity pains, which would prevent the body from tuning it out.

Weapons for Sale:
Combat Balance List:
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/15/2011 02:06 PM CDT
>>I think, when you consider the extremes of damage that empaths go through on a regular basis, this is probably not applicable. You're talking about variable location, variable intensity >>pains, which would prevent the body from tuning it out.

The original discussion wasn't about the act of healing something new, it was about having a pet bleeder and the fact that one should never want to do that because it would equate to constant pain and suffering, so it would be the sort that would be a constant state of injury but not necessarily have to be a constant state of pain.

~Player of ChelmorAes
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/15/2011 02:21 PM CDT
>The original discussion wasn't about the act of healing something new, it was about having a pet bleeder and the fact that one should never want to do that because it would equate to constant pain and suffering,

You still have to transition through that state of "new wound + easy ability to heal it" before you can get to the long term pet bleeder stage. And then every time you bump, use, or tend the injured body part, you're constantly reminded of how you could fix it in 30 seconds flat...

I don't deny that it's probably required for mechanical reasons currently, but from a pure RP standpoint, it's indefensible for the vast majority of people.

Weapons for Sale:
Combat Balance List:
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/15/2011 02:53 PM CDT
>>but from a pure RP standpoint, it's indefensible for the vast majority of people.<<

^This.

________________________________________________________________________________

We've decided that instead of spells Paladins will be a new arm of the Bard guild utilizing interpretive dance moves.

~GM Zeyurn
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/18/2011 06:55 PM CDT
Over all I like the idea of wound reduction. Its always been one of those things thats annoyed me that we learn more empathy and all it did was make it more likely that we'd die. So I see this as a good thing. Having said that, I think this would be a 100th circle quest or feat (personally I'd vote quest but thats just me). Up until you reach 100th you would use take part/half/most. I'd say maxing reduction at around 50% or 60% seems reasonable. Maybe at 100th you reduce it by 5%, 110th by 10%, 120th by 20% and so on or something like that.

I love the concept of combining this with wound redirection as well.

Mordibar
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/19/2011 03:00 PM CDT

I hope you don't think empathy should only do something at extremely high levels. we have TWO abilities. count em. TWO. manipulate and shift. and they are both within the first 30 circles. what drive do new players have to keep playing empaths as their main? from 30th circle, there is absolutely nothing to look forward to for the next 120 circles, with the exception of spells (which run out at 60th) and possibly faster transfer (as well as benefits every person gets for circling). I'd like to see empathy (and the guild in general) have abilities and benefits spread across all circles and not have those reserved for the uber high skill/circles.
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/19/2011 04:44 PM CDT
>>Moobear80: I hope you don't think empathy should only do something at extremely high levels. we have TWO abilities. count em. TWO. manipulate and shift. and they are both within the first 30 circles. what drive do new players have to keep playing empaths as their main? from 30th circle, there is absolutely nothing to look forward to for the next 120 circles

No offense, but have you ever trained a high-circle Empath? The empathy experience caps early, but not that early. At 30th circle, shifting is lackluster. (A typical 30th circle Empath only has access to a few hair shifts.) Empaths don't have access to every shift until around 80th circle (depending on their ranks in mechanical lore, scholarship, and appraisal).

No one is suggesting that empathy-based abilities be reserved for high-circle Empaths but merely that high-circle Empaths be given some mechanical incentive (besides circling/TDPs) to keep training empathy. Some of these incentives could be additional abilities that can be learned early but keep growing with empathy (such as manipulation). However, I think most of the high-circle Empaths want at least one advanced ability. (Several guilds have 100th circle abilities.)

Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/19/2011 06:30 PM CDT
depends on what you mean when you say high circle. 75+? 100+? 150? I have a 77th empath.

Oh I completely agree that there needs to be 100+ abilities. But I was also stating that lower circle empaths really don't have anything much to look forward to either. the difference between a 20th circle empath and a 100th circle empath are a handful of shifts and healing a bit (not a lot) faster. My friend is 24th circle, and with both of us using crutch, there is very little noticible difference in speed. You bring up that lower levels can look forward to a higher variety of shifts. My point was that shifts are very seldomly used, especially with the upgraded creation options in character creation. We have an ability that needs to be marketed OOC on webpages or boards in order to not get shunned in game. I understand that it is guild lore, but people hide behind lore for justification that it is a subpar ability.

My point was all empaths should feel the love, not just limit it to the super elite of the 100+
Re: Healing 2.0: Transferred Wound Reduction 09/19/2011 09:43 PM CDT
>>I hope you don't think empathy should only do something at extremely high levels.

Right now the high end is the most neglected. So if I seem to be concentrating my brainstorming on the high end, that's why. I certainly don't object to mid level abilities; I have a few ideas for the mid level. But I do think every guild needs cool things at the high end to make people feel like circling is good for more than TDPs, which is something the empath guild decidedly lacks.

Melete