Empathic shock and arc light 12/09/2008 01:02 PM CST
Currently, with arc light in it's current form, emapths receive shock for casting it at a target. I found this out the hard way by telling an empath that it isn't an offensive spell (which I whole heartedly believed), but apparently it is as we discovered after she used a runestone.

I can't see how this spell is offensive as it doesn't cause any physical harm to the target. It simply disorientates the target and gives them a loss to balance and position.

When consulting GM Averiss about this in an assist he said that it's an attack on balance, but I argued that so are shove and tackle in the brawling system, which empaths are allowed to use (not trying to get this trimmed, just trying to expland on what empaths should be able to do, combat wise, without physically causing harm)

He claimed that arc light also stuns the target and as such was an attack on intelligence. I had to take his word on this, but I've never seen arc light stun a target in my career of using it as a warrior mage primary.

I think it's wrong to classify this spell as offensive for empaths because not only if the mental attack, if present, so minute that it shouldn't count towards causing empathic shock. It was my understanding that empaths can't attack to cause physical harm, i.e., wound people, but I can't see any wounds being caused by this spell.
Re: Empathic shock and arc light 12/09/2008 01:03 PM CST
>>I can't see how this spell is offensive as it doesn't cause any physical harm to the target. It simply disorientates the target and gives them a loss to balance and position.

It's also used to ignite Naptha

~Arwinia

Thieves will continue to be dominated by the awesome power of the perceive health ability - that which causes rivers to dry up, babies to cry, and the earth to shake.
Stand back mortal, lest ye health be perceived.
-Ssra
Re: Empathic shock and arc light 12/09/2008 01:09 PM CST
Yeah, that GM was mistaken.

Arc Light causes shock because it can be used to ignite naphtha as Arwinia said.

There was some talk I think of making Arc Light flag for naphtha so it would only shock when the target was naphtha'd, but I haven't heard anything about that lately.

I would love to be able to use this spell, even if it wasn't to set people on fire.

Skills Needed for Kaith Partani
Need 294 (500) Empathy.
Have at least 200 in #1 Armor (Light Chain).
Have at least 240 Evasion.
Have at least 160 Shield Usage.
Re: Empathic shock and arc light 12/09/2008 01:16 PM CST
Having it flag for naptha would of course be a simple and effective answer. Does anyone know if there's any update on this and whether or not Wythor's plans to rewrite arc light are going to interfere with it?
Re: Empathic shock and arc light 12/09/2008 01:23 PM CST
I wasn't actually aware that there was a rewrite happening.

My preferred solution would be to just use FS for setting people on fire, taking that utility out of arc light entirely (it's so rarely used anyway ) and letting Empaths use Arc Light. But you know, that's an Empath-centric solution coming from an Empath, so I'm not sure how well received it would be among WMs.

Need 294 (500) Empathy.
Re: Empathic shock and arc light 12/09/2008 01:31 PM CST
Arc light is one of the most rarely used spells in mine, and most warrior mages, repertoire. It's effect is mild and is often countered/negated by the persons next combat manouevere and this apparent stun is non existent (to myself at least).

The only reason anyone has it is because it's a pre-requisite for lightning bolt.

Wythor said that arc light is going to be seeing lots of love because of it's currently useless state, and may happen to be en route to being a real offensive spell, and this could be the reason for AL not flagging for naptha
Re: Empathic shock and arc light 12/09/2008 02:07 PM CST
>>I can't see how this spell is offensive as it doesn't cause any physical harm to the target. It simply disorientates the target and gives them a loss to balance and position.

It's important to clear up some basic concepts, first.

Any spell that is detrimental to the recipient is (or should be -- there's still some exceptions we have not fixed yet) offensive. We do this because it drastically changes how the spell is handled and contested. A spell that is not flagged offensive ignores many checks that are vital for properly handling contesting a result between two characters or the caster and a creature.

That part is non-negotiable. Any spell that meets the criteria I laid out is, or will be turned into, an offensive spell. Without the Empath context, the GM you spoke to was completely correct: it's an offensive spell because it screws with the target.

>>I think it's wrong to classify this spell as offensive for empaths because not only if the mental attack, if present, so minute that it shouldn't count towards causing empathic shock. It was my understanding that empaths can't attack to cause physical harm, i.e., wound people, but I can't see any wounds being caused by this spell.

Earlier this year I made some additions to the magic system to, more or less, divorce Empathic Shock and the offensive flag. This is why you can cast Hypnotize (that's an offensive spell too) without frying yourself. Spells can now be set to avoid or deliver Empathic Shock regardless of that setting.

Unfortunately, that setting is binary at the moment, and cannot take into account all the permutations I'd like. For example, I currently cannot set a TM spell to "Shock only if it hits." This comes up in Arc Light because, as people have pointed out, it can be used to light people on fire.

If that feature is removed from Arc Light, or I get the time to make the Shock check more refined (unlikely in the near future), I have no problem with seeing it flipped into an Empath friendly spell. For now, though? No, you do not get to personally set people on fire and keep your powers.

-Armifer
"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms-- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."
-Viktor Frankl
Re: Empathic shock and arc light 12/09/2008 02:30 PM CST
>>For now, though? No, you do not get to personally set people on fire and keep your powers.

Yeah, I totally get this. I really just want ready access to a stunning spell, and those runestones are for sale in shard. Dazzle is great, but the devices are hard to find. I know when you rolled out the changes, you explained that just because we can use the spell doesn't mean we'll actually be able to find devices or scrolls of it, so I understand that part. I really don't want to set people on fire (heh, really) it would just be nice for the stunning aspect alone.

Need 294 (500) Empathy.
Re: Empathic shock and arc light 12/09/2009 03:52 AM CST
>I really don't want to set people on fire (heh, really) it would just be nice for the stunning aspect alone.

I didn't know Arc Light could stun.
Re: Empathic shock and arc light 12/09/2009 03:04 PM CST
>I didn't know Arc Light could stun.

It's stunningly terrible?

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer