Prev_page Previous 1
Strata and Crutch? 12/29/2006 01:36 PM CST
Heeelp! I am back from a long hiatus, and would like to be able to use Strata and Crutch, but can't seem to find them ANYWHERE. I found one link, downloaded and installed it but the program doesn't see the plugins. All of the plugins are in a plugin folder, but when I open strata, there are no plugins.

Any help would be appreciated.
Re: Strata and Crutch? 12/29/2006 01:49 PM CST
It's just buggy. Keep trying to open it and close it, they'll pop in there most of the time.

~Purehand
Re: Strata and Crutch? 12/29/2006 04:32 PM CST
Right-click on the Strata taskbar icon, select plugin manager. Then right-click on the upper-left corner blue button and rescan plugins, etc. etc. It will take a bit of playing around to get the hang of it. As Pure said, it's buggy.
Re: Strata and Crutch? 12/29/2006 09:14 PM CST
Should I rescan plugins while Stormfront is open? I have uninstalled and reinstalled this sucker like 10 times, and it still won't find the plugins.

Any suggestions? Empathing without crutch sucks.
Re: Strata and Crutch? 12/29/2006 09:36 PM CST
It also wont find the plugins if you're on windows 98 from what I've seen. I had delete my win98 virtual machine and set up an XP one to get it to work for me.

- Player of Foresee

Wait, if there are actual dragons it won't be a joke anymore. Then we'll have to rename the game Necrorealms.
Re: Strata and Crutch? 12/29/2006 10:03 PM CST
>> Any suggestions? Empathing without crutch sucks.

Write better healing scripts. The Crutch is a piece of crap.

Rev. Reene

You are Caelumia Y'laeth, an Elf.
Holy Smoke, you're ugly! Who is your hairdresser? Medusa?

Get involved!
http://reene.euphoricsoup.com/text/roleplaying.html
Re: Strata and Crutch? 12/29/2006 10:06 PM CST
Ive never used The Crutch once in my life. Never had a problem healing by hand or healing with a script. Played many empaths from novice to 30+ without any difficulty.

-Master Ndin
Re: Strata and Crutch? 12/30/2006 11:37 AM CST
>Should I rescan plugins while Stormfront is open? I have uninstalled and reinstalled this sucker like 10 times, and it still won't find the plugins.

Stormfront has to be running for Strata to work, so yes. One thing you should also do if you haven't already is switch your SF location settings to local. Strata causes problems if you have it set to server.

I don't know what else to say... as long as the plugins are in the proper place (program files/strata/plugins) it should work.
Re: Strata and Crutch? 12/30/2006 12:06 PM CST
>Write better healing scripts. The Crutch is a piece of crap.

How do you really feel? ;)

That's going a bit far I would say. It is a very very useful program for a lot of people.

The crutch does some critical things that no script can--the GUI interface gives you very fine control on what wounds you take and which ones you do not take. It's been a while since I've used Wizard, but the Strata version for SF makes it very easy to take all of some wounds, half of others, parts of others, etc etc. Plus the auto-tend feature is extremely useful for those of us who don't have a trigger-enabled FE.

You may personally not like it or use it, but that doesn't make it crap. A lot of people use it and like it.
Re: Strata and Crutch? 12/30/2006 12:48 PM CST
<<You may personally not like it or use it, but that doesn't make it crap. A lot of people use it and like it.>>

To be perfectly fair, though, a lot of people use AOL and like it.

Drongol's Player

PC also stands for "Paying Customer."
Re: Strata and Crutch? 12/31/2006 02:39 PM CST
>To be perfectly fair, though, a lot of people use AOL and like it.

True. There's even a thread today about how many people love the wizard and can't stand stormfront. Some people just can't deal with change.
Re: Strata and Crutch? 12/31/2006 03:41 PM CST
>To be perfectly fair, though, a lot of people use AOL and like it.

Yeah, but AOL is crap and the Crutch isn't ;)
Re: Strata and Crutch? 12/31/2006 05:33 PM CST
It's poorly coded and runs badly. That's enough for me.

Wizard and SF run equally poor for me, except Wizard doesn't crash randomly or screw with my display drivers like SF does, so I stick with the Wizard when I'm in Windows.

Rev. Reene

Get involved!
Re: Strata and Crutch? 12/31/2006 07:04 PM CST
There are scripts for healing that are much more efficient and safer to use than the crutch.

~Arwinia

Your mind hears Netherlich thinking "Actually i was asking to buy....movin up to 50Pk for Limb Disruption and 40 for Blackfire."
Re: Strata and Crutch? 12/31/2006 11:23 PM CST
>It's poorly coded and runs badly. That's enough for me.

>Wizard and SF run equally poor for me, except Wizard doesn't crash randomly or screw with my display drivers like SF does, so I stick with the Wizard when I'm in Windows.

Fair points. Although after six or seven years of using the crutch I haven't ever experienced anything relating to 'running badly'. It might not be the most elegantly coded program, but it works. Strata is essentially early beta abandonware, and the Crutch does have a few significant bugs (the biggest IMO being that it does not shut itself down after closing SF so you have to kill it from the task manager). But in my experience there have never been any bugs that I couldn't easily either avoid or work around.

I personally have never had any random crashes, or any conflicts or issues with SF and my display drivers. SF runs flawlessly on my XP box, and on my girlfriend's laptop. YMMV. The big bugs in the Wizard are its memory leak, and 100% CPU usage when a script is running, so it's no great shakes either. When it comes to scripting however, having access to more than ten or fifteen variables makes a big difference so SF gets the nod in my book.

>There are scripts for healing that are much more efficient and safer to use than the crutch.

As far as the efficiency of scripts goes, you might be talking about the spell-casting part, and the crutch has never been an Empath spell-casting tool. It deals solely with the taking wounds from a patient part. Show me a script that lets you click on a little diagram of your patient, selecting exactly how much of which wounds you want to take. One mouse click will take all of a patient's wounds, or a couple of mouse clicks on the body map and you can take wounds in exactly the manner that suits you for that particular situation. Pretty efficient in my book.

And safer? In what way is the crutch unsafe?
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/01/2007 12:04 AM CST
>> Show me a script that lets you click on a little diagram of your patient, selecting exactly how much of which wounds you want to take.

I'm a much faster typist than I am a clicker. Perhaps for the "point and click" generation of computer users the crutch is nice, but as far as healing efficiently goes (and by healing I mean taking wounds as quickly as possible while ensuring death won't occur) there are scripts that are much better than that than the Crutch.

I admittedly only use a very simple healing script. I don't play my Empath very often anymore so I'm not terribly motivated to write a better one. So as far as examples would go you'd have to ask Arwinia.

Rev. Reene

Get involved!
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/01/2007 02:26 AM CST
When I play my PC Empath (and I actually fired him up for a while last week), I use a healing script. Now, the funny part is, knowing what I know now compared to what I knew when I first started writing Wizard scripts, I was able to make my transfer script in about 10 minutes. Mind you, it's very user-dependent, but that's how I like it.

My heal-down script is a work in progress, as I'm only writing a bit at a time as needed.

-GM Obseden
"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven."
"Anything's possible. Especially since I'm rewriting the system."
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/01/2007 01:05 PM CST
>>As far as the efficiency of scripts goes, you might be talking about the spell-casting part, and the crutch has never been an Empath spell-casting tool. It deals solely with the taking wounds from a patient part. Show me a script that lets you click on a little diagram of your patient, selecting exactly how much of which wounds you want to take. One mouse click will take all of a patient's wounds, or a couple of mouse clicks on the body map and you can take wounds in exactly the manner that suits you for that particular situation. Pretty efficient in my book.

Not necessary when you have a script that matches wound levels/disease/poison and takes part/half/quick as needed to keep you safe and maximize learning. i can type .script <person> and know i'm perfectly safe and the person will be completely healed in less than a minute unless it's something extreme like a rogue gate death, then I may need to run it twice. That is much quicker than clicking on all the various parts or clicking take all and hoping you don't die if you don't break the link in time.

~Arwinia

Your mind hears Netherlich thinking "Actually i was asking to buy....movin up to 50Pk for Limb Disruption and 40 for Blackfire."
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/01/2007 06:28 PM CST

<<Not necessary when you have a script that matches wound levels/disease/poison and takes part/half/quick as needed to keep you safe and maximize learning. i can type .script <person> and know i'm perfectly safe and the person will be completely healed in less than a minute unless it's something extreme like a rogue gate death, then I may need to run it twice. That is much quicker than clicking on all the various parts or clicking take all and hoping you don't die if you don't break the link in time.

I'd be interested in seeing that script if you share. ;)

My empath is young, so even if he can't use it, it'd be fun to pick it apart.

-Nyseth (and others)
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/01/2007 09:34 PM CST
>Not necessary when you have a script that matches wound levels/disease/poison and takes part/half/quick as needed to keep you safe and maximize learning. i can type .script <person> and know i'm perfectly safe and the person will be completely healed in less than a minute unless it's something extreme like a rogue gate death, then I may need to run it twice. That is much quicker than clicking on all the various parts or clicking take all and hoping you don't die if you don't break the link in time.

That does sound like an awesome script indeed. But if you are talking about a Wizard or SF script, there's no way it can have all of that knowledge (complete, accurate health status of both the empath and the patient) without issuing the HEALTH and TOUCH PATIENT commands many, many times each. Sounds like a lot of screen scroll, and a significantly less efficient approach than the Crutch employs.

FWIW using the Crutch on average I take all of a patients wounds in about 20 seconds, maybe less. Admittedly my Empath is fairly high circle and always uses the QUICK option, so most wounds transfer over in one pulse. In any event if I'm protecting a few bleeders on my body and thus need to avoid taking certain body parts, it only takes two or three seconds to click across the body map.

Whether you type commands manually, use a script, or employ a separate healing program such as the Crutch, if you don't know your limits you are going to die. That's just Empath 101 in my opinion.
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/02/2007 01:20 AM CST
i like clems' scripts best it's more like .script <person> <wound location1> <wound location2> ect.

i can tranfer the wounds i want to take and leave the ones i don't (he made like 6 scripts external, external scars, internal, internal scars, (both external and internal) wounds, and scars))

(i posted both the wounds and the scars one in my blog if you want to look)

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer
--
http://blog.myspace.com/57223313
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/02/2007 02:04 PM CST
>That does sound like an awesome script indeed. But if you are talking about a Wizard or SF script, there's no way it can have all of that knowledge (complete, accurate health status of both the empath and the patient) without issuing the HEALTH and TOUCH PATIENT commands many, many times each. Sounds like a lot of screen scroll, and a significantly less efficient approach than the Crutch employs.

That's what I was thinking. It would have to check the 5 vital areas on the empath and the patient for external and internal fresh wounds and scarring. That's 20 touches and 20 health checks with a TON of match strings crosschecking each other or variables being changed and rechanged. 40 commands with massive scroll per patient would be prohibitive for my use. Add in having to to that twice sometimes and having the script trying to take or check unwounded body parts, and a 'smart-script' in SF and Wizard becomes a behemoth.

Or the script works off of the supposition that the empath is woundless or nearly woundless to begin with which is not always a luxury afforded to us.

I'll switch to Genie if those checks can be programed in without massive screen scroll. I really don't know much about it.

Aside from hiccups setting up strata and compatability issues with 98, I think the crutch is the most powerful tool. There would be some features I would add - such has healing fast and a button that doesn't take the vital areas so I can heal them with more control, but other than that I don't think I could write a script that could out-perform the crutch.

Controling, down to the millisecond, how fast wounds are taken.
Keeping notes on patients - tipping patterns, rp history together etc.
Visual interface for at-a-glance diagnosis.
Ability to process multiple patients at one time and queuing up commands if there is a back-log. (okay, you can do a patient in under a minute, crutch can do 4 in under a minute)
Ability to program a lower level of healing (take all wounds below x level) on the fly.
Point and click interface for custom healings or healing around or healing down dangerous wounds.
Self tending, tending others.
A few independently progamable buttons.

I'm sure I'm missing some things. In my practical use crutch has been stable. I could care less if it looks like a mess behind the scenes. There's nothing wrong with writing your own script and using that, but don't discount crutch's obvious strengths.

~Purehand
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/02/2007 04:00 PM CST
>>Aside from hiccups setting up strata and compatability issues with 98, I think the crutch is the most powerful tool.

Not by a long shot. Definitely the most widely available one able to be called a "power tool", but definitely not the most powerful.

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/02/2007 04:05 PM CST
What tool offers more for empaths?

~Purehand
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/02/2007 06:03 PM CST
Yay! Another Crutch advocate! I was starting to think I was the only one ;)

>There would be some features I would add - such has healing fast

Pure, my copy of the Crutch Strata plugin lets you choose quick/normal/careful. I think that was one of the last things Sukair worked on before abandoning it. Need a copy of that version?
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/02/2007 06:15 PM CST
>I'll switch to Genie if those checks can be programed in without massive screen scroll. I really don't know much about it.

From what I understand of how triggers work, you could accomplish this in a fairly straightforward manner. Set some triggers to watch for the wound messaging when you touch someone, and then use that to set some variables. I don't use Genie because A) I already spend enough money on DR and I don't need to spend any more, and B) it doesn't currently permit the use of background colors for highlights. Other than that it's supposed to be awesome, a scripter's dream. You still wouldn't get the graphical interface of the Crutch though.
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/02/2007 06:39 PM CST
>I'll switch to Genie if those checks can be programed in without massive screen scroll. I really don't know much about it.

Well, I haven't finished the whole script yet, but I've started one that basically does this. Every possible wound location is given a value from 0 to 13 depending on the severity of the wound. If a wound to a vital part is about 10 (or whatever value you select) it transfers half instead. It gets all this information in a single touch, btw.
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/02/2007 06:56 PM CST
>From what I understand of how triggers work, you could accomplish this in a fairly straightforward manner. Set some triggers to watch for the wound messaging when you touch someone, and then use that to set some variables.

Well, it isn't quite so simple because of the way the text is displayed. You can only capture one line of text at a time, and the relevant info is on two lines. However, I realized I could do it with 2 variables. I don't think anyone else has even tried because no one actively heals people in TF. But the method does work. Pretty cool, IMO.
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/02/2007 06:57 PM CST
Sorry for the triple post. Anyway,

>You still wouldn't get the graphical interface of the Crutch though.

True. However, genie3 will be released soon and it will have built in support for plugins.
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/02/2007 07:31 PM CST
>I don't think anyone else has even tried because no one actively heals people in TF.

When TF was still relatively new (and I still played there) Mali ran an auto healer script. Getting healed by her when she was AFK wasn't exactly fast though, but I also don't recall her having to touch a ton of times either. Then again it's been a long time.

Norm
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/02/2007 07:50 PM CST
You only have to touch once

~Arwinia

Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/02/2007 08:20 PM CST
>When TF was still relatively new (and I still played there) Mali ran an auto healer script. Getting healed by her when she was AFK wasn't exactly fast though, but I also don't recall her having to touch a ton of times either. Then again it's been a long time.

You misunderstood me. Many people run healing scripts AFK 24/7. No one actively heals ATK. And you don't need a complicated script to heal all wounds without much touching, just try to take wounds whether they exist or not. Every healing script I've seen does this. The more advanced ones take every wound at half if any single wound is devestating. What I am talking about is more complicated.
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/03/2007 07:41 AM CST
>And you don't need a complicated script to heal all wounds without much touching, just try to take wounds whether they exist or not.

Oh, I know. I'm still saying that's less effecient than crutch, especially if you have to run it twice. Also if you want to implement the wound and health matching in Wizard or SF like Arwinia is talking about, I don't know off the top of my head how to do it without touching multiple times or having the script work off of the premise that I am relatively unwounded, which would also be relatively worthless in situations where I am healing anyway.

The script Zonkar is talking about integrating into Genie is the only thing that I have heard of that offers, in one respect, a superior feature to crutch but only in the full-healing and afk-healing aspect. Crutch's abilities to address multiple patients, keep notes, custom heal etc keep it at the top of my list. Everytime this conversation comes up, people come out guns blazing against crutch, but never back it up with something that offers nearly as many features or its flexibility.

>Need a copy of that version?

I would love that version. My e-mail is Dozer12345@aol.com. Thanks Farman!

~Purehand
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/03/2007 08:14 AM CST
" >Need a copy of that version? "

While your at I would love to see this script that outdoes the Crutch

E-mail: TIMSNYDR@yahoo.com

-Miir
-Banisad
-Winterangel
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/03/2007 09:16 AM CST
Mail's away to you both. If anyone else is interested I will upload it to my ISP webspace and post a link.
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/03/2007 12:57 PM CST
If I had the energy to be a real empath and to actually heal, I would actually sit down and write an indepth script to heal someone. That said, matching wound levels/health levels could be something like this:

I don't actually know if this would work, but it's what I have in my mind currently [excuse messaging, but i'm at work and pulling this off the top of my head].

action setvariable self.level.chest 2 when ^You have.*faint scuffing rah rah rah along the chest area
action setvariable self.level.chest 4 when ^You have.*cuts and bruises
action setvariable self.level.chest 9 when ^You have.*gaping holes in the chest
[and this ad nauseum for all self wound levels]

action setvariable patient.chest 2 when External Wounds: some faint scuffing rah rah rah along the chest area
action setvariable patient.level 9 when External Wounds: gaping holes in the chest area
[and this ad nauseum for all patient wound messaging]

Start:
pause .5
put touch $1
pause
if %self.level.chest + %patient.level.chest <= 13 then put take $1 chest quick
if %self.level.chest + %patient.level.chest > 13 then gosub HEAL.CHEST
if %self.level.chest + %patient.level.head <= 13 then put take $1 chest quick
if %self.level.chest + %patient.level.head > 13 then gosub HEAL.HEAD
[again, ad nauseum]

HEAL.CHEST:
pause .5
put prep hw
pause .5
put harn 5
gosub rt.wait
put cast chest
pause .5
put prep hs
pause .5
put harn 5
gosub rt.wait
put cast chest
pause .5
return

Yeah...something like that. I'm sure if you put that into a script as is, you would get errors up the wazoo. But making a script to trump crutch can be done, it's just a matter of someone caring enough to actually do it that is key. I'm not going to bash on the crutch, because seriously, Kitrinx put in a lot of work to make that program and then offered it to the general population for free. Don't bash it if you can't do it. And if you can do it, then why not just do it instead of bashing it? And for an AFK empath script, there are currently 2 out there that are awesome. One is Gret's empath.bot script and the other is Gwyd's auto-healing script that doesn't let the empath die (generally).

Renegade Empath Raudhan just arrived.

A cutthroat gasps, "I can't get UP!"

You begin to lecture Reexa on the proper use of the brawling skill.
You cackle!
You strike a heroic pose.
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/03/2007 05:43 PM CST
Yup, I have a lot of respect for Genie's capabilities... but you have to pay for Genie. The Crutch is free.
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/03/2007 08:00 PM CST
The problem with that method is that you can't see some internal injuries or external scars that way. You need to start out clean and then track what you heal for maximum precision. Like this:

action instant (wound.grabber) setvariable bodypart $1 when ^Wounds to the (\w+):
action instant (wound.grabber) setvariable bodypart $1.$2 when ^Wounds to the (\w+)\s(\w+):
action instant (wound.grabber) setvariable patient.%bodypart.$1.$2 1 when ^\s\s(\w+) (\w+): [\w ]+ -- insignificant
action instant (wound.grabber) setvariable patient.%bodypart.$1.$2 2 when ^\s\s(\w+) (\w+): [\w ]+ -- negligible
action instant (wound.grabber) setvariable patient.%bodypart.$1.$2 3 when ^\s\s(\w+) (\w+): [\w ]+ -- minor
action instant (wound.grabber) setvariable patient.%bodypart.$1.$2 4 when ^\s\s(\w+) (\w+): [\w ]+ -- more than minor
action instant (wound.grabber) setvariable patient.%bodypart.$1.$2 5 when ^\s\s(\w+) (\w+): [\w ]+ -- harmful
action instant (wound.grabber) setvariable patient.%bodypart.$1.$2 6 when ^\s\s(\w+) (\w+): [\w ]+ -- very harmful
action instant (wound.grabber) setvariable patient.%bodypart.$1.$2 7 when ^\s\s(\w+) (\w+): [\w ]+ -- damaging
action instant (wound.grabber) setvariable patient.%bodypart.$1.$2 8 when ^\s\s(\w+) (\w+): [\w ]+ -- very damaging
action instant (wound.grabber) setvariable patient.%bodypart.$1.$2 9 when ^\s\s(\w+) (\w+): [\w ]+ -- severe
action instant (wound.grabber) setvariable patient.%bodypart.$1.$2 10 when ^\s\s(\w+) (\w+): [\w ]+ -- very severe
action instant (wound.grabber) setvariable patient.%bodypart.$1.$2 11 when ^\s\s(\w+) (\w+): [\w ]+ -- devastating
action instant (wound.grabber) setvariable patient.%bodypart.$1.$2 12 when ^\s\s(\w+) (\w+): [\w ]+ -- very devastating
action instant (wound.grabber) setvariable patient.%bodypart.$1.$2 13 when ^\s\s(\w+) (\w+): [\w ]+ -- useless
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/04/2007 02:48 AM CST
Cool... you guys are making me want Genie now!

Actually each woundstate as shown in the touch readout really represents a range of three or four wound 'bits' so there'll still be a little bit of a fudge factor there. But that's good stuff. I can see using triggers to set variables to match all kinds of stuff like which weapon is in hand, what armors I'm wearing, when the weather changes, etc etc.

If you've got a large number of triggers set, does it slow things down much?
Re: Strata and Crutch? 01/04/2007 05:53 AM CST
> If you've got a large number of triggers set, does it slow things down much?

If Genie doesn't have to show you what the triggers are, it speeds right through them. If you have on the "debug" aspect which shows you all the information going on behind the screen, the SET.ACTIONS part can take a long time. So generally, it does not slow you down, unless you are trying to fix something.

My typical SET.ACTIONS piece has about 120-130 lines for a combat script.

Renegade Empath Raudhan just arrived.

A cutthroat gasps, "I can't get UP!"

You begin to lecture Reexa on the proper use of the brawling skill.
You cackle!
You strike a heroic pose.
Prev_page Previous 1