Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/10/2005 08:49 AM CST
Last night Davidofh and I did triage for the Gruge Matches in Theren. I had a lot of fun, and there were a lot of good nasty wounds to heal. Missing heads, chests, necks, abdomens and limbs. We healed for about an hour straight during that time. I made 1% experience in Empathy. (Pre wall rank)

If we ever have a skill added to include Adventure healing as well as perc health to circle, the rate at which wounds teach needs to be seriously looked at. I'd forgotten how little experience we make doing what our Guild is actually here for, healing adventurers. It's really no wonder that later on so few prefer not to heal. It seems like it should be just the opposite, that actual healing should teach better than perc health.

Not a rant - Just an observation.

~~~
..player of Xochi
Sometimes you have to get mad-dog mean... - The Outlaw Josie Wales
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/10/2005 01:54 PM CST
>> It seems like it should be just the opposite, that actual healing should teach better than perc health.

It's supposed to, but right now it really doesn't seem to be the case. I can't remember the last time I locked Empathy since moving and losing all my perceive health scripts. That's with healing several rather wounded patients...I wonder how healing a botched teleport like the old days would work for me now.

As an aside, I was going to go to that fight night myself as well and woul have probably locked Empathy there several times over (or come very close) but I thought it was pretty bogus that they offered the winner 30% of the entry pool (or thereabouts) but wanted "volunteer" healers. But that's a whole other thread I suppose. I just wanted to throw that in somewhere I guess...

Rev. Reene, player of a few

Reene: hey you should play this with me
Zairius: last time I fell for that line
Zairius: I ended up in DR
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/10/2005 02:33 PM CST
>but wanted "volunteer" healers. But that's a whole other thread I suppose. I just wanted to throw that in somewhere I guess...

Just a quick note - we did volunteer. Patients were kind enough to give us extremely nice tips anyway, which we decided to donate.

~~~
..player of Xochi
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/10/2005 04:08 PM CST
I was healing for the first two fight nights and I know that Maulem offered to pay us for the second one. I wasn't healing in the main triage room for the first one though (they still hadn't adjusted the mana in the room and I just couldn't cast enough there), so it's possible he offered to pay the empaths for that one too.

Harik
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/10/2005 04:16 PM CST
Good deal then.

Pity he didn't advertise it that way...oh well.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/10/2005 08:44 PM CST
The hard part about wound-transference teaching more is getting locked up too quickly on anything but post-wall ranks. We might have to move to a system like trading where we get learning pulses in chunks...

---
-Clemency
---
"Put your head up to my heart, hear me live and follow suit, this will all be over soon, it's gonna hurt a little." -Emberghost
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/10/2005 10:43 PM CST
>The hard part about wound-transference teaching more is getting locked up too quickly on anything but post-wall ranks.

Ooo I can wish! <g> I know there is problem with wounds vs difficulty. There are only so many types of wounds, and we can't wish for the entire realms to be afflicted with some major.. err yes we can!

Your empathy getting locked up too easy is just a temporary issue. It will disappear as your empathy ranks / mentals get higher.

The delay absorbtion like Trader's get is pretty nice, though I'm not sure they really want to divide up difficulty. It's easier to heal the patient and yourself with 10 people with all limbs injuries than one or two people with missing heads. But, if there is a different exp for healing a head or missing eyes etc, I haven't noticed it.

Perhaps perc health came to being because they understood this would be a problem later one. <g>

~~~
..player of Xochi
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/11/2005 02:17 AM CST
Actually I have a hard time keeping empathy locked on anything but a wall rank, heh. Curse of the Elothean I guess.

I think, arguably, there is a lot of downtime between healing patients/healing self and also a wait depending on the time of night. So higher exp awarded over time in chunks seems like it'd be really nice.

Trader travel time = empath downtime

Unless you get a constant stream of near-deadly wounds, it is fairly hard to learn; and the kicker for that is that you can't heal a constant stream of near-deadly wounds without a little self-healing downtime.

I'd like to see actual hands-on healing of patients teach a good deal better than perc health...but I dunno :\

---
-Clemency
---
"Put your head up to my heart, hear me live and follow suit, this will all be over soon, it's gonna hurt a little." -Emberghost
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/11/2005 09:31 AM CST
I think the empathy absorbtion rate needs to be taken into context with the job we perform. It does seem at all levels, but especially at high ones, that we can get locked easily by healing someone who has light bleeders all over, but that the skill is down to learning and we've only gained .4% by the time we get healed up again to take another mess.
I feel this is why percieve health, not healing, has become the accepted standard for learning empathy. we can get ourselves up to mindlocked in a power-walk type script and keep it there for long periods of time and do other things at the same time. It's just far more efficient than healing. I'd love to see Obseden look at this in general and give his opinions on a revamp

Souv

You sense (N, S) from your current position:
A relatively healthy presence nearby.
Roundtime: 6 seconds
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/11/2005 03:31 PM CST
Wasn't there a bug with trans/empathy learning along these lines? That circling makes it harder and harder to learn. Was that ever fixed?

Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/11/2005 06:01 PM CST
If I remember right, it was like a bonus for the younger levels that for some reason made it harder for the higher level empaths to learn. To fix it I believe they just took away the bonus all together.

Whatever it was, I do remember hearing about it getting fixed. Right around the time Obseden joined the team, I think it was one of his first projects with us (that we knew about).

Hawaiian Word of the Week: Winter

Ho'oilo (Hoe oh eelow)
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/12/2005 11:24 AM CST
>I know there is problem with wounds vs difficulty. There are only so many types of wounds

Actually, what I'd love to see is that as you get more empathy skill, the wounds you take drop in severity. So, when you get way up there, a blown up moon mage might get you to scratches, if that. This way you can heal more and more people without having to recast. It would also be an advantage for higher skilled empaths.

It seems silly that a 100th circle empath and a 10th circle empath, if somehow they could have the same magic, would take just about as long to heal as many patients, because the wounds are the same. If you scale back wounds, so that the 100th circle empath could take 10 times as many wounds to end up in the same state as the 10th, then we'd actually have something to work for.

And before you scream, the reason this wasn't done was so that we'd get the maximum transferance per wound, no matter what circle. With empathy, we don't need it.

This would also give the advantage at lower circles to healing and let the upper circle empaths move on to other means to learn empathy, such as perc health. The upper circle empaths learn more from perc health as it stands, so why not make it easier for them to heal even if it meant they'd learn less per patient? They're less needful of those bits.

I'd love to be able, with great skill, to heal lots more people without having to heal up myself. Maybe its just a non-logic thing, but there would just be something cool to my demented mind to be able to walk into a mass disaster, like a blown concussion box in a full room, and just heal everyone with enough skill.

Ok, yes, a moderately skilled empath can keep up an 80 mana regen indefinately, but until that point, this would be a way to actually look like you have more skill. And even regen doesn't work real well on heads or nerves, even with high skill.
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/12/2005 11:33 AM CST
I am all for this. Would have come in handy during the wars. It seems like the next logical step for empaths.

>the reason this wasn't done was so that we'd get the maximum transferance per wound, no matter what circle.

I don't think the exp gained should be reduced at all. It should increase since reducing wound severity during transference would a much more advanced, taxing and complicated process. It might even attract some higher empath's back to healing.

>And even regen doesn't work real well on heads or nerves, even with high skill.

Completely untrue.

~Purehand
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/12/2005 11:44 AM CST
>I don't think the exp gained should be reduced at all.

Um, yeah, but this would mean rewriting the whole code for wound transference. Right now, we get bits based on wounds put on our bodies. <shrug> I'll take the far easier coding trick of just chopping percentages off the wound we're taking, like we do when we're taking scars, but based on skill, than having to come up with a whole complex system of greater bits for wound reduction plus what we get from the wound itself and ...

The more complex the code, the harder it is to implement and QC. If you keep it simple, you're a lot more likely to get it. Look at 'undead healing', for example.

>>And even regen doesn't work real well on heads or nerves, even with high skill.

>Completely untrue.

Yeah, well, I don't have any characters beyond novice PM/Harn. I was just extrapolating past the first few hundred ranks. Sorry.
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/12/2005 01:27 PM CST
<<Actually, what I'd love to see is that as you get more empathy skill, the wounds you take drop in severity. So, when you get way up there, a blown up moon mage might get you to scratches, if that. This way you can heal more and more people without having to recast. It would also be an advantage for higher skilled empaths.

Holy Hodierna, Batman! I think you're onto something. What is the single biggest problem for Empaths (in reference to their innate abilities)? Healing up!

Man. That's great. I'm not even an Empath, but I'm going to be preaching the gospel of Higher Empathy=less wounds now.

You say, "I don't think moon mages would like being dipped in boiling tar just to learn astrology much."
Sadeia says, "More reason to dip em."

Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/12/2005 01:54 PM CST
>Um, yeah, but this would mean rewriting the whole code for wound transference.

Um, yeah, but... the big rewrite has to do with reducing the severity of wounds in the first place. Or in other words:

>Actually, creating a spell to reduce the severity of wounds transferred would entail modifications to the transference system anyway. - Obseden

So even if the exp gain calculation, for some reason, couldn't be modified when you do 'transfer <wound> reduce' just like it has been modified for 'transfer quick', the major rewrite is the reducing of wound severity itself.

I don't have the code handy to speak with authority, but I would think the experience calculation would be, by far, the easier of the two things to code and a logical extention of system. Why would you ever, ever, ever do that large rewrite and not implement proper experience calculations. Everyone knows how well a partially implemented system is received in DR.

This suggestion is old enough that I'm sure it has received a lot of consideration by the empath team that they won't just whip something together as a quick fix.

>Yeah, well, I don't have any characters beyond novice PM/Harn. I was just extrapolating past the first few hundred ranks. Sorry.

Why would you state a criticism as fact if you really don't know? I was getting frustrated with the spell myself. So I asked some questions... Criticism pending.

Almost forgot: <shrug>

~Purehand
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/12/2005 02:54 PM CST
>Actually, creating a spell to reduce the severity of wounds transferred would entail modifications to the transference system anyway. - Obseden

Yes, I can certainly see this. Becuase you have to check if the spell is on, how strong it is, etc. A reduction in severty by skill is always on. The only tricky bit is in scaling it with skill.

>So even if the exp gain calculation, for some reason, couldn't be modified when you do 'transfer <wound> reduce' just like it has been modified for 'transfer quick', the major rewrite is the reducing of wound severity itself.

Because it wouldn't be a case of transfer <wound> reduce it would be automatic, just like the reduction in severety of scars when they're transfered. If scars can be reduced, then why not wounds?

>but I would think the experience calculation would be, by far, the easier of the two things to code and a logical extention of system.

Ok, when coding. Changing one thing is always easier than changing two things. If you reduce the severety of wounds on transferance that is fewer changes than reducing the severity and changing the experience for wounds recieved.

>This suggestion is old enough that I'm sure it has received a lot of consideration by the empath team

Actually it's not that old and every time it's come up it's been rejected on the basis of reduced experience for the wounds recieved, not the difficulty of the change.

>Why would you state a criticism as fact if you really don't know?

From extrapolation. At 250 PM/Harness there is no signifigant increase in ability to deal with head and nerve wounds from 200 or even 150 PM/Harness. From, that, I'm guessing the start of being able to signifigantly affect those areas before they totally fry out your ability to harness mana is somewhere at least in the 400+ range. That and the majority of empaths have magic in the 400-500 range, so it makes sense for the spell to start being seriously useful up in the 750-800 range, since it's supposed to be a moderately difficult spell to use.
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/12/2005 03:30 PM CST
>>Because it wouldn't be a case of transfer <wound> reduce it would be automatic, just like the reduction in severety of scars when they're transfered. If scars can be reduced, then why not wounds?

Neither wounds nor scars reduce in transfer. Scars will reduce bleeders, however, and scars seem to be on a much, much lower scale of progression (ie, taking a harmful wound might only leave a minor/more than minor scar instead of fully translating into a harmful scar).

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/12/2005 03:32 PM CST
Huh. I guess they stopped. I remember taking a death scar on an empty spot and having it be smaller on me than on my patient. Must have changed fairly recently.
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/12/2005 03:35 PM CST
I recall something like that too (although I only noticed it on the other end of the scale), but everyone's insisted I was crazy ever since I mentioned it.

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/12/2005 03:40 PM CST
<<That and the majority of empaths have magic in the 400-500 range, so it makes sense for the spell to start being seriously useful up in the 750-800 range, since it's supposed to be a moderately difficult spell to use.>>

Just so no one is confused, the above is an opinion of the poster and does not necessarily reflect facts of overall empathic stats.

Carry on.

~Chris
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/12/2005 04:00 PM CST
>That and the majority of empaths have magic in the 400-500 range

Way, way WAY off, at least in Prime. 400 in magic represents an 88th circle empath, 500 is circle 107. That is an elite level of skill, to say the least. I doubt if there are even 20 empaths that high in Prime.
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/12/2005 04:45 PM CST
- I would not want it to be automatic. There are situations where this would be a disservice to the empath. There are times where I want bleeders.

- Spell or ability, it requires an overhaul of transference and appropriate experience should be given for the skill in my opinion. In the string Obseden responded to, a spell was suggested as a work-around for difficulties of implementing a natural ability. Both have been stated to require a reworking of transference. Once again, I don't have the code, so I have no idea how difficult it would be to scale experience along with the core wound reduction system, but I imagine over the years and new systems the Dev GMs have become pretty good at scaling experience to core systems. Why would you go to the trouble of overhauling a major system and not reflect any of the changes in experience? Bad things come when you do something half way. I'm not a fan of that. I guess we differ personally in that regard.

>Actually it's not that old and every time it's come up it's been rejected on the basis of reduced experience for the wounds recieved, not the difficulty of the change.

- When it was first coming up there wasn't even discussion of extra exp gain because that wasn't as big of problem at the time. It was stated then as it is stated now (and quoted even moments ago) that the difficulty lies in implementing the actual wound reduction. Without going to the archives and pulling posts from the 90's here's a snippet from mid 2002:

>Will wounds ever reduce on transfer? Either with high stamina or high transference.
>If the problem is transference learning, is there a way to alter the learning so that this problem is bypassed?
>Ythik

In this string the idea was already a very bruised and beaten horse and the reality of wounds reducing with skill/stamina a long standing myth.

- Regen will not heal your nerves if you have less than 300 PM and will not heal certain body parts unless you are harnessing enough mana. I would harness 40-50 mana and try to keep it around that level if you want to make sure it gets everything. You could go from 150 to 350 without seeing internal head wounds healed if you are only harnessing 30 mana.

>the majority of empaths have magic in the 400-500 range

- I'm not so sure there are even 50 empaths with 400 PM/harness.

~Purehand
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/12/2005 05:42 PM CST
Wounds do reduce in severity when healed, but not by much, and I'm not sure what causes it but it happens.

I've taken someone's bleeding wound ON TOP of wounds I already have and ended up with no bleeding. I've taken death wounds on top of wounds I already have and ended up with less.

I don't think its intentional, I think it probably has something to do with the rounding of wound levels somewhere along the line.

---

Wound reduction via transference would be nice, though I am not sure what the reasoning would be. Where does the lost energy go? Dissipates into the air as heat?

I agree with Purehand, it would be annoying if it were an "always on" thing.

---

I am not really gung-ho about wound reduction during transference, I've healed dead body after dead body and been able to keep up fairly fine even with my meager skill. It just takes some careful utilization of what skills we already have. I am not against it, however, and in some cases would find it very advantageous (ten patients with missing chests is really annoying).

Death wounds to tiny scratches seems a little excessive though.

---
-Clemency
---
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/12/2005 06:45 PM CST
>Wound reduction via transference would be nice, though I am not sure what the reasoning would be. Where does the lost energy go? Dissipates into the air as heat?

Not sure what lost energy you're referring to, if anything it'd require MORE energy/concentration onthe empaths part to reduce the patients wounds during transfer. The reasoning would be simply to give higher levels empaths something to show/use for their higher skill level. Currently a circle 30 empath can heal just as fast and just as well as a circle 75 empath. That circle 75 should be able to do something that the level 25 can't with transfering wounds, whether it be transfer a back wound to the right leg, or make the wound lessen by a couple degree's, there needs to be something .

>it would be annoying if it were an "always on" thing.

Why? It makes sense for a higher level empath to always reduce the wounds they transfer. Having the choice would be nice, sure...but what would be the point? The only time I can see it being "annoying" is when you're trying to get a bleeder by healing the same body part on everyone in the room.

>Death wounds to tiny scratches seems a little excessive though.

I agree here, thats a bit drastic. There should probably be a cap on it of some sort, just to keep it somewhat realistic. Perhaps at the highest level skill being able to reduce a death wound by 3 degree's.

Hawaiian Word of the Week: Winter

Ho'oilo (Hoe oh eelow)
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/12/2005 06:54 PM CST
Lost energy meaning 1:1 ratio in taking wounds makes sense, as you are literally TRANSFERRING the pain from them to you.

To alter that ratio the lost energy has to go somewhere, into the aether, into the form of a wound on another body part, etc. It makes no sense for levels of a wound to just disappear into nothingness. This is why we can't heal wounds/scars onto areas which already have maximum wounds/scars.

I really want that ability that has been "in the works" for Hodierna's lifetime that allows us to redirect the transfer of a wound (say chest) to another body part (say my hand). This would greatly ease the healing of death wounds during invasions.

I learn a good deal of my magic healing myself and if I wasn't able to transfer woudns 1:1 anymore, I'd lose a big chunk of my constant magic learning.

---
-Clemency
---
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/12/2005 07:20 PM CST
It's magic.

~Purehand
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/12/2005 08:32 PM CST
>I am all for this. Would have come in handy during the wars. It seems like the next logical step for empaths.

I like it, too. A lot.

~~~
..player of Xochi
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/13/2005 06:38 AM CST
>I agree with Purehand, it would be annoying if it were an "always on" thing.

Hmmm, two things. One, much harder to code. But also, to not have it be 100% a benefit. I'm thinking of whatshername who was part of the opening of Shift, who wasn't really entirely sane because of her empathy. Not all of empathy is a benefit. Possibly with so much more use, a side effect is that the empath's body just rejects the additional wounds and so we need to take more to get a bleeder, if we want one.

>Death wounds to tiny scratches seems a little excessive though.

I was thinking at the Biomancer level. Someone with I think it's something like 1050 empathy should be able to knock a wound down that far. Not your garden variety empath with empathy in the 400-500 range. There, yeah, a few levels would be far more appropriate.

Was just thinking of the cool factor, like a big cleric being able to walk in and rejuve a whole room full of people in one or two casts. Would be awesome at say the Biomancer level to link 5-6 corpses and heal them to clean in no more than a minute or two. Now that would be worth all the time and effort to get to that point.
Re: Everything about Perc Health Reaffirmed 12/13/2005 10:15 AM CST
I do see a small amount of scaling as well with wounds, in my opinion, it's not high enough. If it is barely noticable and you have to setup specific circumstances to see it, it's not worth it. I agree that scaling wounds should be implemented, and that to solve the EXP problem, the exp should be calculated from the wounds that are on the patient, not what they look like when they get to the empath. In this way at any level, if you heal someone completely toasted by a disintegrate or a naptha trap, you get maximum experience. The bonus to this would be that higher empaths would not recieve as grievous of wounds and therefore can heal more people, giving them XP gain over a starting empath.
I feel this would provide a bonus for high level empaths that would satisfy them, and something for the lower empaths to work towards

Souv

You sense (N, S) from your current position:
A relatively healthy presence nearby.
Roundtime: 6 seconds