Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/16/2005 01:20 AM CDT
hi Folks,

When I transfer a bad wound from a patient, a nearly fatal wound for them, it kills me. I'm wondering two things--if this is happening to others and if it is supposed to be this way.

An example might help. A patient walks into the infirmary, very alive, but with a chest bleeder that is one step short of immediately fatal for them. I transfer the wound with the quick option to my wound-free chest. It transfers to me in one pulse and I die, apparently of fright, because the wound I end up with doesn't grow when it transfers and wouldn't otherwise be fatal. My vitality remains full the whole time and I'm not exhausted from it.

I haven't played around with the slower transfer options to see if that helps. For now, I've just been doing partial transfers to work around it. If I take most in one pulse then the rest in another, these wounds don't kill me.

So does this happen to other folks? Can we train our way out of it with strength, stamina or discipline? I'm getting kinda tired of turning over a furrow in my way to the clerics...

~ Nausi
Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/16/2005 01:24 AM CDT
This happened to me once with a neck wound. Nothing critical. None of the wounds or scars on my neck were above 'severe' IIRC, and one of my friends checked seconds after I died to make sure.

I assisted and the host claimed it was working as intended. I have no idea what is meant by this. Personally I think it's buggy...hopefully it'll go away when the new healing system gets rolled in.

This was some time ago, though...And I haven't really had problems with wounds of that level since, even with very bad scars. It's a total mystery to me.

Rev. Reene, player of a few
"Goodness had nothing to do with it, dearie." - Mae West
Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/16/2005 06:23 AM CDT
Been gone for a bit....

Er.. what new healing system?

Damthban Thalkyr
The Infernal Dwarf
Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/16/2005 06:39 AM CDT
The planned one.

You know, back when they announced DR2...They said they were revamping all the healing systems...

I have no idea what happened to that, but it was supposed to be a big improvement on the current one.

Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/16/2005 07:00 AM CDT
It would be really nice if you posted a log of your "fatal" injuries so that we can point out the problem. I've never had any problems with dying without cause and I heal to the brink of death just about every time

Souv

You sense (N, S) from your current position:
A relatively healthy presence nearby.
Roundtime: 6 seconds
Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/16/2005 11:14 AM CDT
<<I have no idea what happened to that, but it was supposed to be a big improvement on the current one.>>

I'm pretty sure it's not even on the burners anymore, it's on a shelf somewhere in a closet in the unused part of the house, covered with dust.

There was a post about the healing system revamp being put on hold about a year and a half ago. It's somewhere back there when there was the big "How to make healing more fun for high circle empaths" debate.

There are supposed to be some healing system changes for Necromancers that are going to also benefit us in someway...at least I'm pretty sure that was what was said at Simucon, but I wasn't at Simucon so I may be misreading a players post.

~Nexty
Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/22/2005 10:25 AM CDT
hi Souv,

Here's the log, sorry it is kinda long. Just to recap a bit, Rubix was alive with a bad neck wound. When the wound transfered to me I died. It doesn't look fatal, but I guess it might be. I've had the same thing happen with chest wounds that I know aren't fatal.

Please notice that I had the decency to stop teaching before I died, not like my last geometry teacher!

K>heaYour body feels at full strength.
Your spirit feels full of life.
You are strangely full of extra energy.

Bleeding
Area Rate
right arm (tended)
You have no significant injuries.

K>Tikoro just arrived, dragging Rubix behind him.
K>Tikoro says, "Someone mind healin Rubix please?? He is nearly dead"
K>touch rub
K>You rest your hand on Rubix's arm with a soft smile.

You sense a successful empathic link has been forged between you and Rubix.
You feel the burning fire of pain and suffering building slowly as you instinctively draw out the truth behind Rubix's injuries.

Rubix's injuries include...
Wounds to the NECK:
Fresh External: a shattered neck with gaping wounds -- very devastating
Fresh Internal: a severely swollen and deeply bruised neck with bones protruding out from the skin -- very devastating

Rubix is suffering from an extreme loss of vitality (87%).
K>.t rub vtouch rub
[Script]K>You rest your hand on Rubix's arm with a soft smile.
You concentrate on renewing the link.

You feel the burning fire of pain and suffering building slowly as you instinctively draw out the truth behind Rubix's injuries.

Wounds to the NECK:
Fresh Internal: a severely swollen and deeply bruised neck with bones protruding out from the skin -- very devastating

Rubix is suffering from an extreme loss of vitality (87%).
[Script]K>take rub vitality quick
[Script]K>You touch Rubix.
You feel the transfer beginning as a cold stillness settles in the center of your being and you steel yourself for the impending explosion of pain.
[Script]K>smile rub
You smile at Rubix, revealing the dimples in your cheeks.
K>Tikoro hugs you, and you wrap your arms around him with a warm smile.
K>You feel your vitality transferring to Rubix.
K>.t rub n
touch rub
[Script]K>You rest your hand on Rubix's arm with a soft smile.
You concentrate on renewing the link.

Wounds to the NECK:

Rubix is suffering from a serious loss of vitality (43%).
[Script]K>take rub neck quick
You touch Rubix.
You feel the transfer beginning as a cold stillness settles in the center of your being and you steel yourself for the impending explosion of pain.
[Script]K>take rub neck int quick
[Script]K>You touch Rubix.
[Script]K>You feel your vitality transferring to Rubix.
[Script]K>hea
[Script]K>Your body feels battered.
Your spirit feels full of life.
You are strangely full of extra energy.

Bleeding
Area Rate
right arm (tended)
You have no significant injuries.

[Script]K>take rub neck scar quick
You touch Rubix.
[Script]K>take rub neck int scar quick
You touch Rubix.
[Script]K>You feel a burning pain in your neck as Rubix's wound transfers to you.
You sense that Rubix's neck bruises are fully healed.
!K>The bandages binding Rubix's neck become useless and fall apart.
You feel a burning pain in your neck as Rubix's wound transfers to you.
You sense that Rubix's neck wounds are fully healed.
!K>You stop teaching.
* Nausikaa was just struck down!
You feel the surge of energy within you ebb away.
Your death cry echoes in your brain as it quickly dawns on you that you have just died! Already, you feel the tug of eternity upon your spirit and you struggle to remain tied to this world.

You are somewhat comforted that you have gained favor with your God and are in no danger of walking the Starry Road, never to return.

Your body will decay beyond its ability to hold your soul in 488 minutes.
You feel a burning pain in your neck as Rubix's wound transfers to you.
You sense that Rubix's neck scars are fully healed.
You feel a swirling sensation as the world takes on a slightly different appearance. It is as if a great struggle has ended and you now rest in peaceful repose contemplating your release from the fight.
DEAD>Rubix looks healthier and Lale appears to weaken.
DEAD>Rubix looks healthier and Myrie appears to weaken.
DEAD>Clemency says, "Um"
DEAD>Tikoro says, "Well"
DEAD>Tikoro says, "That doesnt happen every day"
DEAD>"That is just not rightYou say, "That is just not right"

~ Nausi
Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/22/2005 11:05 PM CDT
Only thing I can really think of is maybe if you were under the effects of georin salve. It could have pulsed after you got the neck wound, leaving you with a slight scar, before the scar transfer pulsed. Cause it was the scars that killed you...

But, there was no messaging about you feel an itching sensation, so... I dunno. :(

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

"Is glas iad na cnoic i bhfad uainn."
-Distant hills look green.
Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/23/2005 12:06 AM CDT
Nausi never got the scar transfer going. She was about to when the pale goth axe-murderer dropped her like a bad habit.

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/23/2005 01:57 AM CDT
<<Nausi never got the scar transfer going. She was about to when the pale goth axe-murderer dropped her like a bad habit.>>

Actually it was the scar pulse that killed her.

>>You feel a burning pain in your neck as Rubix's wound transfers to you.
>>You sense that Rubix's neck scars are fully healed.
>>You feel a swirling sensation as the world takes on a slightly different appearance. It is as if a great struggle has ended and you now rest in peaceful repose contemplating your release from the fight.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/23/2005 03:16 AM CDT
<<Actually it was the scar pulse that killed her.

Yeah, was what I was thinking too. The scar got her, not the wound itself. Those scars can be deadly. While you might have had an invisible internal scar, that shouldn't have been enough to tip you to the next level. I've taken to doing half transfers on extreme scars and wounds, and healing them as I go. Its a serious pain in the neck, pardon the pun, but I've died too many times from a 1 pulse crit.

Mole
_______
At 1.0000001 with the Universe
I...just wants to go around killing people - Souv
Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/23/2005 03:24 AM CDT
hi folks,

I was using the quick transfer. Does anyone know if this still happens with the careful method?

~ Nausi
Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/23/2005 03:28 AM CDT
hi again,

I'm thinking I had a regen spell on me. I suppose it is possible it pulsed in there somewhere and created a neck scar. I'll have to turn on that messaging and see. I kinda doubt it, since it all happens pretty quickly, but it could explain it.

~ Nausi
Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/23/2005 03:35 AM CDT
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but if it had been a hidden internal, it would have been "bruises" or "twitches" that killed her, not "wounds" or "scars".

Maybe it was a regen. Seems to be the only logical thing. But I know when I died in such a manner, I didn't even know the spell.

Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/23/2005 09:30 AM CDT
I thought it might have been regen, but supposedly regen doesn't work on bleeding wounds. Since you took the whole neck wound on one pulse, even if regen had pulsed after that but before the scar transfer, it wouldn't (or, shouldn't) have created a scar.

Also, I figured I was wrong about Regen because I didn't see the messaging. Not fair keeping it squelched but not saying so. :(

It was external scars, not internal, that killed her, so it couldn't have been invisible twitching.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/23/2005 09:32 AM CDT
>but supposedly regen doesn't work on bleeding wounds.

Does now ... nerves too with enough skill. I suppose if you're a biomancer you could probably keep it up indefinately.
Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/23/2005 09:39 AM CDT
<<Does now ... nerves too with enough skill. I suppose if you're a biomancer you could probably keep it up indefinately.>>

Then I suppose regen's probably the cause... At least for Naus's case.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/23/2005 05:29 PM CDT
I don't suppose you have heal from before the transfer and a look after the transfer Nausi? I'm in agreement that it was the scar that killed you, but I'd want to see for sure

Souv

You sense (N, S) from your current position:
A relatively healthy presence nearby.
Roundtime: 6 seconds
Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/23/2005 05:48 PM CDT
With a wound that bad, a scar might not show up in the 'health' or the 'look'.

A touch, however, would be very useful...

Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/24/2005 09:43 PM CDT
Also that level of scar combined with that level of wound on the neck could be considered fatal. Meaning you'd have to heal the neck wound down a bit before stacking a scar on it.

'Slimy Yet Satisfying' - Miko Mido

Supreme Bunny Overlord Zairius
Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/25/2005 03:42 PM CDT
Nausi, it happened to be even before the transference rewrite... there is something about overall number of wounds or something crazy. Frankly, I still think it's bull but the GM at the time (this was a couple years ago) also claimed it was intended.

Hopefully when the new healing comes out, unless they're going to scale wounds as they do critters, there should be nothing healing related to kill an advanced-skill empath.

Meanwhile, I suppose we're supposed to consider it the empaths' version of snake-eyes. At least it's not quite as often as the thieves', eh?

: )

I hope everything is going great for you, by the way!

Lis
Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/27/2005 12:20 AM CDT
hi again folks,

Okies, I've looked into it more closely. I didn't have a regen going at the time and my neck was completely healed before I started on the wound. 'Cause of this, I don't think it had anything to do with old wounds already on my neck.

I'm not exactly sure about the timing of some of the events in the log. It seems like some things happen out of order when we die. The * Nausikaa was struck down! message came out right after the external fresh wound was finished and the messages about the scars being healed came out later.

I guess we'll have to experiment some more with this, but it seems to me like the fresh wound killed me and the scars just kept coming 'cause they were already on the way.

I know this has happened to me with head, abdomen and chest wounds. Does it happen with backs too?

Thanks for helping my figure this out, I appreciate it.

~nausi
Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/27/2005 01:14 AM CDT
It was the scar that killed you. The timing of the * <name> was just struck down! messaging has always been a little bit premature. For instance, during the Outcast War I happened upon some archers, and saw...

>sw

* Ahmir was just struck down!

[Ilithi, somewhere]
Room description. You also see lots of Outcasts. Obvious paths: etc.
* Outcast moonie zapping me]
* [Outcast archer shooting me]
* [Another Outcast archer shooting me]

Your death cry echoes ... etc. !

DEAD>

In your case, you got the scar transfer messaging, then the you've-just-overhealed messaging, then the DEAD> prompt... Doesn't necessarily matter that the death message preceeded that in the log.

Possible you had even a tiny neck scar left over from a previous heal? If you didn't have a regen up and no herbs, all I can think of would be previous scars.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/27/2005 01:33 AM CDT
try to make it happen again.

It's regretful that the most common type of person in this world is someone small, in a big chair.
Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/27/2005 01:44 AM CDT
>> try to make it happen again.

Probably the best way to go about it, honestly.

If anyone wants to set up a test, I'm up for it, either as the empath or the one getting healed.

Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/27/2005 08:52 AM CDT
I wonder, if you're healing an injury and the scar at the same time, won't healing the injury generate more scar to be taken? Since whenever you take a wound, it leaves a scar. Maybe taking the big wound left just a bit more scar to be taken than could be handled? I'm not quite sure how that works, so have always been careful about taking wounds and scars.
Re: Being killed by non-fatal wound transfer 09/27/2005 04:24 PM CDT
>>I wonder, if you're healing an injury and the scar at the same time, won't healing the injury generate more scar to be taken?

Good catch.

J'Lo, no that other one