Prev_page Previous 1
Healing 03/01/2003 10:56 PM CST
So, will characters be able to self heal minor wounds and bleeders that are tended after a long time?
Naw...didn't think so.

This heart stopping moment has been brought to you by the numbers 2 and 0 and the letter 7

Dark Angel Crusinix

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
Re: Healing 03/01/2003 11:29 PM CST
>Naw...didn't think so.

One of the three things that Towint wanted to work on was 'natural healing.' Now what exactly that is is up for interpretation, but since he got the other two things done (I think. One was infections on wounds, the other I can't remember but I feel like he finished it.) I'd keep an eye out for it.

~Y

*Your witty comment here.* http://www.coalition.fairmont.nu
Re: Healing 03/02/2003 06:55 AM CST
<<One of the three things that Towint wanted to work on was 'natural healing.'>>

I think that's when we heal people without our clothes on.

Illcram the Evil Empath

Make me rich!
http://www.coalition.fairmount.nu
Re: Healing 03/02/2003 03:23 PM CST
<<One of the three things that Towint wanted to work on was 'natural healing.'>>

<<I think that's when we heal people without our clothes on.>>

This made me laugh out loud... It is a rare post that has that ability. Illcram, you are far from evil... You're just wicked.

-Life Mage Oasa Lambentenebrous the Interminordinate, Rakash Empath of Forfedhdar
Re: Healing 03/02/2003 03:27 PM CST
>This heart stopping moment has been brought to you by the numbers 2 and 0 and the letter 7

Letter 7? Illcram's been slipping you some juice, hasn't he?

~Xoine

"Too often we...enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
-- John F. Kennedy
Re: Healing 03/02/2003 10:53 PM CST
<<One of the three things that Towint wanted to work on...>>

Wow. I'm trying to remember when I only had three things to work on at once... Heck, I even submitted proposals for more SimuCon seminars than that! <g>

GameMaster Towint B'niyvyl
Re: Healing 03/03/2003 02:56 AM CST
<<I think that's when we heal people without our clothes on.>>

I was under the impression you did that already, Illcram? grin

(Don't usually post here, but couldn't resist)

-Laelia JS
Re: Healing 03/03/2003 06:03 AM CST
> Wow. I'm trying to remember when I only had three things to work on at once...

Bah. Fine, I'll correct myself. "One of the three things Towint posted that he wanted to work on..."

<raspberries>

~Y

*Your witty comment here.* http://www.coalition.fairmont.nu
Re: Healing in DR2 07/23/2003 12:16 AM CDT
Folks,

The DR2 conversations don't really belong here. They belong in the DR2 category... although I haven't yet requested a topic set up there for the healing system changes. Honestly, I'm not ready for it, yet.

I did review thoughts and plans for DR2 Healing Systems at SimuCon - no, I'm not going to review them again here, now! <g> - but those were just that. Nothing is yet set in stone for DR2, and, per Solomon's announcement at SimuCon, we're not supposed to start - at least, I am not! <g> - until September.

So, while I appreciate your enthusiasm, please try not to flood me with DR2 ideas for healing system changes right now. If you really want to discuss it, we can ask the BMs to create a topic for it over in the DR2 category, and I'll get to it when I finish off my current list of projects for this summer.

Please realize that I'm not trying to stifle anyone's creativity. I am interested, and I will be working on it, but I don't have time to read all the posts that should be discussing this topic. When we're ready to begin work on it, I'll definitely be posting more. For the moment, however, I want to make sure that this topic remains available for current issues, without overflowing to the point where I don't have time to keep up on it.

Thank you for your understanding.

GameMaster Towint B'niyvyl
Healing Programs 05/16/2005 06:24 AM CDT
Anyone know where I can get Kitrinx Crutch? The site seems to be down?
Re: Healing Programs 05/16/2005 01:06 PM CDT
I think I have the program saved. IM me at Fnordia if you see me online later, and I'll check.

I love the crutch so much. It makes me very sad that I can't use it on my macs.
Re: Healing Programs 05/16/2005 04:25 PM CDT
macs... Apple's solution to make money by charging you for fixing stuff that was broken in the last version

Souv

You sense (N, S) from your current position:
A relatively healthy presence nearby.
Roundtime: 6 seconds
Re: Healing Programs 05/16/2005 06:47 PM CDT
<<macs... Apple's solution to make money by charging you for fixing stuff that was broken in the last version>>

Hey now.

- Ogoh

(Mac user and proud)
Re: Healing Programs 05/16/2005 07:37 PM CDT
>macs... Apple's solution to make money by charging you for fixing stuff that was broken in the last version

Yeah, and those Ipods never impressed me either. The price and how they fooled everyone into buying them sure did though.

~Purehand
Re: Healing Programs 05/17/2005 08:06 AM CDT
>>Yeah, and those Ipods never impressed me either

You ever use one Purehand or are you speaking from simply seeing them exist?
Re: Healing Programs 05/17/2005 09:42 AM CDT
As long as it does what its supposed to do to a point at which you're happy using them, who cares? :)

~ Britia
Re: Healing Programs 05/17/2005 09:55 AM CDT
Unto that Britia, I would say...

I care...

Something can do a task well, but it doesn't mean that it has other undesirable effects. For the Record... I've seen and used Ipods... I'll take my MP3 player and my winamp playlist any day of the week

Souv

You sense (N, S) from your current position:
A relatively healthy presence nearby.
Roundtime: 6 seconds
Re: Healing Programs 05/17/2005 01:16 PM CDT
Ah, friends, you've strayed from the point.

Which was, of course, that I'm both very lazy and need the crutch, but also very lazy and want to use the Mac laptop instead of the PC desktop.

The world is conspiring against me!
Re: Healing Programs 05/18/2005 12:09 AM CDT
>You ever use one Purehand or are you speaking from simply seeing them exist?

Used one. Gave it a chance. Gave it away.

>I'll take my MP3 player and my winamp playlist any day of the week

Yep.

~Purehand
Re: Healing Programs 06/07/2005 07:26 AM CDT
Actually...I thought the PSP was pretty badass...

I bought the extra memory stick, and the graphics are amazing, not to mention that you can DL your favorite music videos, watch DVDs and listen to music along with playing Lumies.

BEST PORTIABLE ENTERTAINMENT DEVICE EVER!

~Villya, Proud Owner of a PSP

"Somehow We'll Make It Back..To the Place Where We Jumped Track..All the Roads Either Way Are Twisted..."~Atticus
Re: Healing Programs 06/07/2005 08:23 AM CDT
PSP sales have been horrible because the screens keep getting ruined. I had a japanese one when they came out there and went through 4 each with a different screen defect before I gave up and got a refund.

Seems like the same thing is happening in North America and Europe now.

Plus the controls are just so sloppy!

I must say that the Nintendo DS is a much much better system.
Re: Healing Programs ::Nudge:: 06/07/2005 12:03 PM CDT
Gang,

This folder is for Healing Systems discussion.

Back on topic please.

Annwyl
Senior Board Monitor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing Senior Board Monitor DR-Annwyl@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor DR-Cecco@play.net.
Healing Tricks 03/15/2006 07:17 PM CST
So, my ranger gets killed, and there are 3 bodies waiting for a heal, and Rapid is the only empath who is around. Thanks again btw Rapidonia. You were being seriously overworked there. Appreciate the patience and the help.

Anyway, I noticed that all 3 of us corpses had Devastating, injuries in critical spots. IE Chest, Abdomen, Back...

Rapid healed everything else, then got the criticals last. And I was thinking, I tend to do it the other way around. And it got me wondering, how everyone else heals these injuries.

Myself, I get the critical spots first, taking em in halves, and healing myself in order to reduce them until they are survivable if I take the whole thing. Then once the critical spots are all survivable, I just take everything all at once. Then set about healing and tending myself before moving on to the next patient.

So how does everyone else go about it?

Mole
_______
When it crosses my mind to do something, I don't ask why, I ask why not. And usually theres no reason not to, so I just go ahead. Its given me the strangest collection of hats.
Re: Healing Tricks 03/15/2006 07:21 PM CST
I take the criticals first, healing myself as I go (and healing the scarring as well- sneaky stuff, that!) Then I go back after the rest and heal myself at my leissure. That's how I managed to clean-heal a disintegrated moon mage for a raise.

Doryaa

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Healing Tricks 03/15/2006 08:44 PM CST
First, you are welcome.

Now, typically I would take the criticals first. In a situation where there were three deaders I had to think fast and change my tactics a bit. My intent was to get all the minors and heal them on myself. I knew they would add up on me (three of the same wound can equal one bad one) and I wanted get that out of the way first.

Anyway, to answer the question, Yes on a deader, taking the criticals slowly at first seems to work best. Just not three deaders. :)
Re: Healing Tricks 03/15/2006 09:03 PM CST
I tend to triage in the same manor that Rapidonia does. I tend to take the little stuff last, but I'll heal all the massive wounds to non-vital spots first (arms, legs, hands, eyes). Once I'm sufficiently oozing I'll staunch it and start taking torso/head/neck stuff (in halves/most until I know I can handle it all, like you mentioned).

My reasoning here? (1) I don't need legs to heal. (2) If I do happen to get help from another Empath they'll help gang up on the vitals, because I've already handled the limb stuff. (3) It seems to be faster for the patient.

I heal my own critical areas first, fresh and scars, then polish off the little stuff on the corpse. Then I find myself some new limbs.

Rinse and repeat.

- Ogoh

>appraise horse
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with no weapon, you estimate that the black horse is something that'd kill you quickly.
Re: Healing Tricks 03/15/2006 09:11 PM CST
Heh...

Transfer half (or part if I'm really wounded myself) of the critical wounds. Then start transferring all the little ones quickly. As those are transferring, heal down the big ones and the scars, then finish the rest of the big ones, which should be down enough to make them not a big deal.

Gets my skills moving better and it's pretty efficient.

But then I don't use this method on corpses obviously...mostly spar losers.

Rev. Reene, player of a few

Niaura asks, "wat happen?"
>
You say to Niaura, "Someone set you up the bomb."
Re: Healing Tricks 03/15/2006 09:53 PM CST
>>So how does everyone else go about it?

Symphaena works generally like this (it should be noted that she works under a self-imposed limit of 1 patient at a time):

1)patient comes in, asks for heal, Symph claims victim

2)Symph does an initial touch
a)make note of major injuries (severe+ wounds or scars, dangerously-low vitality, and disease; everything else, including poison, can be ignored)
b)if dead or patient not dying/bleeding out/etc, continue to 3
c)if patient can't wait, stabilize or pad vitality (sometimes people come in and think they are much worse off than they are)

3)Once/if patient is stable, check HEALTH
a)heal self as needed so I can take full wounds from 2a
b)put up BS and Refresh

4)take everything as fast as I can, knowing I'm not going to die from overhealing

Most of the time I can knock out a dozen or more patients before even reaching the point where I have to start healing myself or even worrying about overhealing and it is usually another hour or two of raw healing and spellslinging before I have to fully stop healing to tend to myself.

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Healing Tricks 03/15/2006 11:18 PM CST
i take wounds that wont' kill me first limbs eyes nerves, scars as well, heal off internals and what i can't tend, and then i work on the biggies with a 25 prep hw in storage and i cast it when i get a certain message (i have em all highlighted different)(i haven't died from overhealing in a long time so i must be doing something right)

and once i get in too bad of shape i work on healing myself until mostly healed (i might gweth for another puff) and then go back to work on the deaders

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer
--
http://people.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5198137
Re: Healing Tricks 03/16/2006 06:17 PM CST
I tend to follow a pattern similar to Reene. I still hand type all of my healing stuff (why mess with what's familiar?), so if there are lots o' wounds, I tend to only take one or two of the critical locations at a time, prep to heal myself of those, and then grab smaller wounds as the larger ones are transferring and I cast on them.

GM Reexa
Re: Healing Tricks 03/16/2006 06:37 PM CST
>> I tend to follow a pattern similar to Reene.

Does that mean I win DragonRealms?

>
Re: Healing Tricks 03/16/2006 06:40 PM CST
I suppose the reason I heal the way I do, has to do with how I actually heal. A lot of people use the crutch to heal. And I admit, I used to as well. However when I switched to Genie from the Wizard, I couldn't take it with me. So instead, I wrote a simple healing script that quickly grabs every injury, then every scar.

Its worked out much better then I thought originally. I'm much more concious of my own injuries, and what I can and cannot take, then I was when I used the crutch. As a consequence, I'm much more careful and have yet to die from overhealing since making the switch. I also don't get Carpal Tunnel from typing out each individual wound and scar. Merely typing out the vital ones if I need to reduce them before taking them. And of course the Heal spells.

Mole
_______
When it crosses my mind to do something, I don't ask why, I ask why not. And usually theres no reason not to, so I just go ahead. Its given me the strangest collection of hats.
Re: Healing Tricks 03/16/2006 06:51 PM CST
>> I'm much more concious of my own injuries, and what I can and cannot take, then I was when I used the crutch. As a consequence, I'm much more careful and have yet to die from overhealing since making the switch.

This is part of the reason I encourage people to use scripts instead of the Crutch or utilities like it. I believe it contributes to making lazy, unskilled healers. There's more to being a good Empath than ranks.

By using scripts (a heal all script and a heal one part script are the ones in my arsenal) you still don't strain yourself by typing everything but you still get a good feel for what you're capable of as well as your limits. Critical injuries are so rare unless you work with bodies mostly that it's not going to kill you to type 'transfer person quick half part'...or if you work with bodies a lot, you can write a takehalf script or something for it. No big deal.

>
Re: Healing Tricks 03/16/2006 07:53 PM CST
I habitually keep pet bleeders on a few critical areas (neck, chest, back, abdomen) so when healing a deader I typically will take all the non-lethal wounds first (arms, hands, legs, eyes) because they are easy and won't kill me. Then assuming the head isn't useless, I'll take all of that. Next I'll do the areas where I have bleeders, slowly and carefully, making sure not to overheal. Usually in halves but sometimes by parts to make doubly sure I don't kill myself. I usually end up casting HS a few more times than I really need to, just to make sure I don't unexpectedly build up a nasty internal scar.

It's basically the reverse with a live patient. If I'm doing extended guild duty (which does still happen, sometimes), I'll have first dumped my bleeders because it's too much work keeping them going while healing a lot of patients. When working on a live patient I take the life-threatening wounds first and mop up the rest. When on duty I try to keep GOL, Refresh, and BS constantly going.

I use the crutch for several reasons. I find it very useful in triage or when healing a patient with serious wounds because the compact, color-coded display lets you instantly judge the severity of all the wounds at once. When you become familiar with the color scheme, you can judge by the colors alone whether a wound is too serious for you to take in one go or not. And the point-and-click interface is fast and convenient, which saves my fingerbones from stress. However, having said all that, I agree that it is best not to use it when you are first starting out in the guild. It's easy to overheal with the crutch when you are still learning how healing works and what your physical limits are. Once you have mastered that, however, it is a very useful tool.
Re: Healing Tricks 03/16/2006 07:54 PM CST
I also use a homemade healing script. If I find someone with wounds that I feel would kill me then I will reduce them to something I can handle first, and then run two scripts. The first rips all wounds, I then assess myself, and then rip all scars. It works great, and teaches nicely on top of that (not to mention is easier on my hands).
Re: Healing Tricks 03/16/2006 10:04 PM CST
i also use a custom healing script, i was lucky enough to make friends with someone who makes really good scripts, he's a great friend

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer
--
http://people.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5198137
Re: Healing Tricks 03/17/2006 07:44 AM CST
I have 3 different scripts.

One is basically an autoempath script I got during my time in TF. I of course made it so only specific people get the messaging, not everyone. I generally run this if I'm chatting with friends or bored, and just don't want to have to type anything. It basically has a whole bunch of action setvariables in it, so when someone wants a healing, they trigger me into on-duty mode, and then when I touch them, the script sets all variables for whatever wounds need to be healed. Doesn't stop healing until the patient disappears, is fully healed, or the like, then begins the self-healing process, before going into off-duty mode. This script is completely amazing...and I will never say I wrote this myself.

My most frequently used script is my healall script, which basically heals everything as quickly as possible. I use this when I'm either wanting to see if I won't die, I'm healing in snoblins and know that most of the wounds are from the goblins ripping off limbs, or am doing minor healing work.

My third, and not so frequently used script, is when I have bleeders. I've removed the chest, abdomen, and back from this script, and don't heal them at all so as to make sure I don't make my chest/abdomen/back disappear.

I used to us the crutch, and did become very adept at healing with it, since it does have the color coding and what not. When I transferred over to Genie, like Mole, I had to leave it behind. Sad. But now I just heal less, perceive health more, and run around causing general mayhem.

Yup...that's my healing trick. Cause as much trouble as possible, and make sure Reexa doesn't steal your lantern while doing it.

Renegade Empath Raudhan just arrived.

Souv says, "Annael should have been commended for her knifing empaths"

When birds fly in the right formation, they need only exert half the effort. Even in nature, teamwork results in collective laziness.
Re: Healing Tricks 03/17/2006 09:29 AM CST
I hated how the crutch acted in SF - So I also built a healing script. I will never use crutch again. Its a great thing - But its not for me. Since the script I wrote takes everything - I have become much more aware of what I can/can't handle. I do the initial touch make sure their vital organs aren't missing - and role with the script. I love doing it that way.
Re: Healing Tricks 03/17/2006 03:31 PM CST
Die crutch!

---
-Clemency
---
"Put your head up to my heart, hear me live and follow suit, this will all be over soon, it's gonna hurt a little." -Emberghost
Re: Healing Tricks 03/17/2006 04:03 PM CST
Hm, am I the only one who uses macros to heal anymore? Sure, it takes up every letter of the keyboard twice and then some, but with Stormfront's macro capabilities (and the setvariable script function) it's not a big deal at all. Using macros provides the speed and ease-of-use of a script with the precision of manually entering each command, while eliminating tedious typing. It just takes a little while to get used to which button corresponds to which injury.

As far as order of wound taking goes, I'd be in the "take half of the fatal critical-area wounds, remove them and the resulting scars from myself, and then go back and get the rest real quick" camp.

Thanks,
-Healer Adept Karthor
Prev_page Previous 1