Guess Who 09/05/2006 11:15 PM CDT
I'm back again for a month, maybe more, WOW is getting a little boring. But then again, when I woke up today I knew absolutely no one in the Crossing, or mostly no one.
Except for Purehand. Bah.

~Villya,
Re: Guess Who 09/05/2006 11:25 PM CDT
Welcome back, Kotter!

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Guess Who 09/07/2006 03:27 AM CDT
Villya! Howdy. Glad to see you back. And I'm in Crossings these days (for the time being...having a big auction/sale..bleh). So you know me. I'm hiding as much as I can, though. Find me?

Lis

GET SHIFTED: http://home.earthlink.net/~empathicshifting
Re: Guess Who 09/07/2006 09:41 AM CDT
If you are around, you will more then likely see me :)

~The Highly Explosive Miss V at your Service~
Re: Guess Who 09/22/2006 07:28 AM CDT
I just got tired of the daily morning reboots of WoW... Thus, I decided... DR in the morning, WoW in the evening

Souv
Re: Guess Who 09/22/2006 09:11 AM CDT
I did WoW for a few months. It's pretty but I got really really bored.

~Purehand
Re: Guess Who 09/23/2006 10:53 AM CDT
I'll be going back to WOW probably within the next few months. For me WOW was much more fun to play and I have a blast when I PVP and what not. I also wasn't a crappy alliance, and I wasn't a crappy Paladin who whines about the one tuesday upgrade they do every week. Unless you are on one of those crappy servers that just can't hold its own due to population increases.

My time back is limited with the expansion possibly coming out shortly. From there, I'll just be back full time in WOW.

Beth, player of teh Villya

Your mind hears Slaris thinking, "Villya is the last person I'd ever think would need to play more cow bell."
>
Your mind hears Villya thinking, "Haha."
>
Your mind hears Villya thinking, "I gotta have more cow bell Slaris!
Re: Guess Who 09/23/2006 06:08 PM CDT
I've been playing more WoW over the last year too. I like it as much as DR, just for different reasons. I'm coming back to DR right now though (not just for P5, which rocks by the way!) because DR is, hands down, the better 'social' game. What I liked about WoW was the 'solo' factor. You would get a quest, do what you needed to do (kill x-number of critters, gather x-number of things, etc.), turn in said quest and voila! Experience towards your next level. Which, by the way, would be sooooo nice to see in DR too, more things that give exp from 'doing' rather than 'training'.

Unfortunately though, WoW currently only goes to 60th, so although there are some repeatable quests you can do, for the most part the 'new stuff' now is going on group hunts, or the CvC stuffs. I've enjoyed doing them for a bit, but at the end of the day, if I want to be interacting with other people that closely, I'd rather do that with the higher caliber folks of DR. All the OOC chatter in WoW aside, people in DR as a rule a much more respectful of your personal privacy. I've never been too keen on answering the 'where you from, what do you do?' nonsence (see Small Talk) that many folks fill conversations with, and I like that in DR, you can keep the game at arm's length, as it should be...:)

Social interaction without the stalking factor FTW!
hehe

Kythryn
Re: Guess Who 09/23/2006 06:12 PM CDT
>>I've never been too keen on answering the 'where you from, what do you do?' nonsence (see Small Talk) that many folks fill conversations with, and I like that in DR, you can keep the game at arm's length, as it should be...:)

>>Social interaction without the stalking factor FTW!

Not to mention the "nah, you can't be a real chick! Real chicks don't play video games!" Or the "OMG YOU'RE A CHICK WANNA CYBER!1?!!1!" that insues when they find out you have a female voice.
Re: Guess Who 09/23/2006 06:52 PM CDT
I like the fact that I get the right to call someone a "noobcake", as more social as DR is, if there were a few changes made, I'd probably come back full time. It just ends up I am not satisfied as a whole with this game, and only come back on occasion to say hi to friends.

And depending on what you do in WOW, it can be very social. I run end-game content raids with my guild and we all get on ventrilo (for those of you who don't know ventrilo is a voice chat thing most guilds use during big raids) and we talk about college, joke around with eachother, and basically have a blast.

Either way how you cut it, I just enjoy WOW more due to the fact it gives me what I think is worth it for my money, were DR does not (Sorry my lovely GMs, its not against you guys personally). So instead pouting about why certain things aren't changed, I just go to another game that I enjoy more.

Its that simple.
~Beth, player of Villya

Your mind hears Slaris thinking, "Villya is the last person I'd ever think would need to play more cow bell."
>
Your mind hears Villya thinking, "Haha."
>
Your mind hears Villya thinking, "I gotta have more cow bell Slaris!
Re: Guess Who 09/23/2006 07:41 PM CDT
<< I'm coming back to DR right now though (not just for P5, which rocks by the way!) because DR is, hands down, the better 'social' game.

As another person who's given WoW a try but always returns to DR, I couldn't agree more.

<< What I liked about WoW was the 'solo' factor. You would get a quest, do what you needed to do (kill x-number of critters, gather x-number of things, etc.), turn in said quest and voila! Experience towards your next level.

Aaaaaaand...I can't agree anymore. WoW by yourself is boring to me. "Kill some hogs." Okay. Cast-cast-cast and turn it in. "Kill some bears." Okay. Cast-cast-cast and turn it in. Yay.

Both games have their best potential in group situations. The difference is in what kind of situations. In WoW, you can have a truly awesome level of interaction and teamwork, allowing to you accomplish (or survive) stuff that would be downright suicidal alone. I've lost track of the amount of times that I've been in a fight in WoW (either intentional or not) and at the end either thought 1) "Man, that was AWESOME!" or 2) "Man, that was almost SO awesome!"

My opinion of DR group combat is pretty low, but I've had great times in DR doing the most ridiculously mundane stuff. Getting skins for a tanner, trying to find some fine smokeables, exploring a new (or old) area, comparing musical instruments, etc. Most of that is not even a "feature" of DR (aside from being able to move from room to room) but rather a matter of DR having such depth of IC development, available variety in almost all matters, and a playerbase devoted to a certain "feel".

Arcelebor

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
PSA - Sakhara's definition of RP (like many things) is erroneous
Re: Guess Who 09/23/2006 07:55 PM CDT
>Aaaaaaand...I can't agree anymore. WoW by yourself is boring to me. "Kill some hogs." Okay. Cast-cast-cast and turn it in. "Kill some bears." Okay. Cast-cast-cast and turn it in. Yay.

I guess I wasn't clear so much on that. Going out and doing the actual killing, DR or WoW, is boring. At least with WoW though, there is a goal/purpose. A quest objective. DR, you kill until you can kill no more, then wait some time and kill some more...:P And, with WoW you earn skills by doing the killing/gathering, but even more of a 'chunk' of exp when you turn the quest in. For me anyhow, makes it easier to trudge through experience gain when I have some small task that might be part of a larger chain of story-lines, to keep me at least marginally interested in what I'm doing...heh.

And on the social front, talking about 'college, work, etc.' is really not what I want to be doing. I am also in a WoW guild, do 20 and 40 man raids with them, do the whole vent chat thing. If I want to be chatting about RL stuff, I'll chat with my RL friends about it. When I am playing a game, I want to be chatting about that...not listening to someone whine about having homework to do...:P

Kythryn
Re: Guess Who 09/23/2006 08:00 PM CDT
BUT WHAT ABOUT MY 30 PAGE PAPER ON ASTRO-PHYSICS DUE TOMMORROW. OH NO!

- Simon
Re: Guess Who 09/23/2006 08:07 PM CDT
<<(Sorry my lovely GMs, its not against you guys personally)>>

No offense taken...games have different purposes for different people, and if DR isn't where you're happy, find where you are.

The nice thing about DR, though, is we're always happy to have you back, and not just as customer number 423. I'm glad to see it when Helga stops in to say hello.

GM Reexa

Re: Guess Who 09/23/2006 11:10 PM CDT
I agree with you, Kyth. Which is why I'm so glad I got to chat with you ig again. Hope you stick around more now : )

Lis

GET SHIFTED: http://home.earthlink.net/~empathicshifting
Re: Guess Who 09/24/2006 07:19 AM CDT
I think everyone can play however they want to play. Kyth, if you like the more Rping social interaction, more power to you. I prefer talking to my work buddies RL friends, and guildies on ventrilo abour random stuff. As fun as DR can get sometimes, just some stuff still irks. I'm proud that our guild has some fantastic GMs that listen to us and respond, and the promise of new adventures keeps me coming back to say hi, but the pull just isn't strong enough anymore. I guess after nine years you can call it a burnout.

~Beth, player of Villya

How my Mind Works: http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
Re: Guess Who 09/26/2006 07:06 AM CDT
no no, I'm a good alliance paladin that complains about the DAILY restarts in the morning on his servers who just recently got a hardware upgrade and still sucks. Thereby telling me that if I was in charge of keeping that network running... I'd be fired for being inept at my job

Souv
Re: Guess Who 09/26/2006 07:10 AM CDT
meh, I just like em both... When my eyes are bad and I can't read (usually after work) I go play WoW, which doesn't really require seeing anything more than big shapes. When I can see, I'll play something I have to read (or when the servers are down without warning early for "scheduled maintenace") I like both, I just don't have enough time to play both... so I play a lot of one and not enough of the other

Souv