Young Empaths 03/31/2008 04:34 PM CDT
I'm a newer empath. I don't think I've ever stollen anyone's patient. At least I hope not. But, I do miss conversation around me when I am healing sometimes. The reason is because I am new and SLOW. I am usually very focused on what I'm doing so I don't overheal and the last thing I'm paying attention to is who came in or whats going on elsewhere in the room. I feel bad making people wait so long also which makes me focus on on getting that person done quick (for me anyway).

If I did grab someone else's patient, a friendly "I had her/him first" would be something that I would definately expect and appreciate since the error was mine. But please be nice to us newbie empaths. Everything happens so fast and we're frustrated with our new spells, overhealing, and getting very confused, you remember being young right?

I am generally playing my empath in the evenings and so far I have met some really great people in there. Most everyone has been very helpful and in fact have gone out of their way to help me the 1,000 times I asked to have my internals checked and the 1,000 times I forgot how to heal my twitches! Without naming names....thanks guys!
Re: Young Empaths 03/31/2008 05:43 PM CDT
Don't worry about being slow. Don't apologize for being slow. Most new Empaths feel terrible about it, I know, but it does get MUCH easier in time. Good patients will realize that the speed thing is actually worse (and more frustrating) for you than it is for them.

A couple things I'd recommend to help see who's healing who:

1) Squelch the unnecessary healing scroll.
- "look better."
- "looks better."
- "cries out in pain."

2) Highlight all the TOUCH messaging.
- "arm with a soft smile."
- "his/her face revealing his/her distaste."
- "just touched"
- "lays his/her hand on"

3) Highlight potential trouble lines.
- "swooning from some incredible pain." (another Empath getting close to overhealing)

There's probably others, too. Highlights and squelches make things a lot easier.

- Ogoh

System Announcement: In order to simplify our mythology for newer players, all gods have been renamed after the Little Rascals. Henceforth, Urrem'tier will be known as "Spanky."
Re: Young Empaths 03/31/2008 06:23 PM CDT
Absolutely what Ogoh said. If a young empath is healing me, I'll sit down and talk with them, and perhaps teach a class. It's not like the critters are going to disappear while I'm relaxing a bit.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Young Empaths 03/31/2008 08:44 PM CDT
How new are you? I literally could not manage to overheal on purpose for a full 15 circles, and then after that it was frighteningly too easy for about 20 more circles given the combination of my empath skill and lack of a complete magic toolbox (ie, too little mana, not all the spells to buy me time, etc). After that, it got harder to die again.

Growing up I got lots of wide-eyed stares and impressed whistles from other empaths, and non-empaths just totally freaked out every time I fell.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Young Empaths 03/31/2008 11:41 PM CDT
i still find it humorous when the patients think your dying after losing an arm, a leg, or falling down. ;p

another thing you can do is open your familiar window so you don't have to keep rechecking what wounds the patient has, that'll cut down some scroll as well, providing you position it right.

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer.
--
If life doesn't need intelligence,
Then why should intelligence need life?
--
http://blog.myspace.com/57223313
Young Empaths 04/01/2008 10:10 AM CDT
Hi guys! Thanks for all the great advice!

You asked some questions. I'm 7th level now. Sometimes the scroll is out of control and I still have some problems keeping up with it. Thanks for the suggestion of the Familiar window! What a difference! And I highlighted some of the key words as suggested and that is working great too! Last night was much less confusing. :)

It was asked how I overhealed. By ignorantly taking a chest wound and then a neck wound without looking (lots of scroll)completely. Then I realized I was bleeding from 2 areas instead of one. I was bleeding so fast that I couldn't even tend it. The more I tried to heal it with spells, the more mana it sucked up and it still wasn't enough to stop the flow. Then to add to my chaos I accidentally cast the refresh instead of vitality healing with my last bit of mana. You live and learn and that's the story of my first overheal. Poor guy felt really bad.

Thanks again for your suggestions!
Re: Young Empaths 04/01/2008 10:28 AM CDT
There is another thing you'll want to watch out for: Hidden scarring. That killed my empath several times. Once she took a head scratch when she had a bunch already that she couldn't see- and her head just disintegrated.

Needless to say, she went down!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Young Empaths 04/01/2008 11:32 AM CDT
>>There is another thing you'll want to watch out for: Hidden scarring. That killed my empath several times. Once she took a head scratch when she had a bunch already that she couldn't see- and her head just disintegrated.

Another good one.

Basically, there are two ways for an Empath to die while healing:

1) Vitality deaths. Pretty easy to watch for.

2) Scarring. This only applies when a critical area hits "useless" on the damage scale. All you have to worry about is your head, neck, abdomen, chest and back. You can completely obliterate anything else without fear of death. If you're every worried about overhealing, focus on those core areas first and you'll be OK. In high-volume healing binges save your spells for your critical areas. In fact, once you can control your bleeding (with Blood Staunching and/or Heart Link) let your arms, legs and hands fall off -- only bother healing them when they get annoying (or you need to do something with them). Same with the eyes.

With severe hand and arm damage you won't be able to tend yourself (or others).
With really bad leg damage you'll fall down screaming whenever the wound begins bleeding (annoying, yeah).

Oh, also, don't forget about the BREAK command. It'll immediately stop transfering wounds. Use BREAK ALL, or just lie down (which'll accomplish the same thing).

- Ogoh

System Announcement: In order to simplify our mythology for newer players, all gods have been renamed after the Little Rascals. Henceforth, Urrem'tier will be known as "Spanky."
Re: Young Empaths 04/01/2008 04:18 PM CDT
I would suggest considering Blood Staunch for your next spell. It can be a life saver. You can also cast it ahead of time, but bear in mind it only lasts so long. It isn't stackable or replaceable so you have to recast when it runs out. It can give you that time to recover mana and heal at a more casual pace.

Asbhuan in Plat
Re: Young Empaths 04/01/2008 05:41 PM CDT
I completely understand the part about hating to make people wait when you are first starting out. I found that training in the field worked better for me. There are plenty of scuffs and wounds in rats and I particularly liked weaponless gobs near eels. The young adventurers there are usually grateful for the attention and don't care that it's taking you what feels like ages to fix their minor wounds. It's also great for some supplemental training, like hiding, armor, etc. It can be a lot of fun and you meet some great people who aren't there just to get a heal from you and leave.

Just my two cents.
Young Empaths 04/02/2008 08:23 AM CDT
Hello again! I am so getting the blood staunch next! I learned that the hard way. I could really have used that. I do often go in to rats and let them chew on me for armor and also to work on my evasion and parry.

Thanks everyone!

"Suffering knows no boundaries...neither should compassion."
Re: Young Empaths 04/02/2008 10:43 AM CDT
>Use BREAK ALL, or just lie down (which'll accomplish the same thing).

I remember when I was young, someone had told me to just use fall. I'm sure a lot of adventurers out there must've wondered why I was so clumsy.

I also echo that field healing is a good way to train. You can get good experience, and the tips tend to increase as you are able to move to harder hunting grounds. Many hunters appreciate not having to stop hunting to go get healed. If you need some armor or help out with training in the field, feel free to look me up!

~ Gwynfydedig

The frostweaver sobs piteously, "Help! I've fallen!"
Re: Young Empaths 04/02/2008 12:38 PM CDT
I use FALL/LIE simply because most of the time it was an emergency. If I needed help, people could tend me without whispering first that I needed to sit/lie down.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Young Empaths 04/03/2008 08:40 AM CDT
<<If I needed help, people could tend me without whispering first that I needed to sit/lie down.>>

That's a very double-edged sword, particularly if I'm not stable. I've died a few times to having people tend me and not having the vitality keeping pace with my bleeding.