To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/03/2007 11:33 AM CDT
Alright, I want to know why the younger Empaths that I encountered today found it absolutely neccessary to randomly touch my character and try to heal them. I get that you want to be helpful, want the empathy ranks, whatever, but as a player of an Empath and another character, if find it rude, and out of line. I would understand if I was almost dying, but I had no significant wounds, plus this puts my character into a weird situation. Due to the Roleplaying of the character, I have to tip out of honor, even though I DIDN'T NEED/WANT THE HEAL IN THE FIRST PLACE!

I'm almost tempted to stick on a Protector or a weapons title on my Empath and see if I can get the same people to randomly heal me and gain nothing out of it.

In closing, don't just randomly heal people unless they are dead/near dead/or ask. Not all of us like being randomly touched and healed.

~Villya

Empath Menus of Elanthia:

Termian says, "I'm too wirey"
>
Termian says, "wouldn't make a good meal"
>
You ponder.
>
Farman says, "gnome legs in bechamel sauce"
>
Farman licks his lips.
>
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/03/2007 01:11 PM CDT
Even though I wear a "Wound Thief" button, I would agree.

Unless its just to make Kaeta mad, I ask.

I don't know why, but you're right, there's an increase in the number of people who will just touch and start to heal you as soon as you walk into the Empath guild. They are usually <10th circle.

Since I don't wear an Empath title its mildly amusing/mean to just let them...heh.

-Desperado Clemency Apollonia, Vagrant of Elanthia

SEND[Reexa] :::whine::: go awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/03/2007 01:28 PM CDT
Yes, my non empath character was in the guild listening to a teaching class. She had gained a bleeder from hunting rats. (I was thrilled!) It didn't last long though. :( An empath took it upon themselves to heal her. I was somewhat discouraged and ended up logging her off and found something else to play around with. (I was just so happy to have gained that bleeder the honest way and then to have lost it.. blah!!!)

It is good practice to ask if someone wants to be healed.

~ Leissl and $0.02

'When someone pushes your buttons, you're acknowledging what you have disowned.' -Dr. John Martini
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/03/2007 01:38 PM CDT
>It is good practice to ask if someone wants to be healed.

Very true. It is also good practice to ask if someone will heal you if you want to be healed, as well. I think with all the touch-as-you-enter Empaths healing everyone, people are forgetting to ask when they want healed - they just assume that someone will heal them as soon as they walk through the door and if they don't - then no one is willing to heal them.

rant

Case in point: For the past few days - I've been sitting in the Infirmary - I've seen more people come in, stand there for a few minutes, eat everything in the cabinet and leave, or worse - if there's not much in the cabinet - I'm asked if I could spare a bite of an herb. This is with an empath title up. I find that more insulting, I think. Just because I don't touch you the second you walk in, doesn't mean I'm not healing, just say something!

/rant

~Chris
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/03/2007 02:07 PM CDT
>or worse - if there's not much in the cabinet - I'm asked if I could spare a bite of an herb. This is with an empath title up.

I hate passive-aggressive patients.

~Purehand
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/03/2007 03:09 PM CDT
I agree with the new way patients are dealing with the new Empaths. It is because alot of older Empaths have gone the way of power walking, which to us was a blessing way back but in a way has semi-backfired on us. Now when I sit in the Main hall, I'll be sitting there with five Empath students, and every one of them will sometimes zombie out. I've had people come in, ask for a heal, and then I've whispered to them to wait five minutes so I can see if any of the other empaths will jump (unless it is critical). Nothing. Zombie Empaths all listening to me rant about teaching. Then I jump on another character and I get Empaths touching me and trying to heal me when I haven't even asked.

There is no happy medium, and from both stand points, it disgusts me. Call me old fashioned, but think of being an Empath like being a Nurse/Doctor/Paramedic-Neither of them can actually help you unless you A. Give consent, or B. Are too hurt to make that decision on your own. On the same token any person would be pissed off if they went to get help from a Nurse/Doctor/Paramedic and when they looked like they were working, they just fell asleep with their eyes open.

>>I've seen more people come in, stand there for a few minutes, eat everything in the cabinet and leave, or worse - if there's not much in the cabinet<<

Tha cabinet since I've been back, has been another pet peeve I've developed. Don't even get me started on that rant.

~Villya

>
>
You ponder.
>
>
Farman licks his lips.
>
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/03/2007 03:54 PM CDT
The youngins only do it because they don't know better, Villy... time to open a big can of whuparse in there.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/03/2007 04:08 PM CDT
I'm not sure that titles matter much to wound thieves. I have had my Empath healed without permission, even though he always wears his Empath title. If people are going to be rude enough to heal without asking they generally don't bother looking at the patient, either.

In my experience boats are the most common place for this to happen. Bleed on a boat and an Empath will jump out of hiding and grab the bleeder. The last time it happened I let the empath completely heal me up, including scars. Then I touched her and took the bleeder back leaving the scars and non-bleeders for her to deal with.
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/03/2007 04:09 PM CDT
Playing a blunt character comes in handy.

"Do I know you? No? Then don't touch me again."

And you all know what happens if they do it again.

Rev. Reene

http://reene.euphoricsoup.com/ainghazal.jpeg

Idon: "Hey, is it just me, or does this new dock here look a little off?"
Me: "I built it."
Idon: "Oh. Heh. That explains it."
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/03/2007 04:18 PM CDT
>>Playing a blunt character comes in handy.

What we need is a DRAG synonym verb that messages you yanking on the person's ear. That way, everyone knows the empath is in trouble but isn't going to get hacked down. For grins and giggles, maybe everyone else sees the empath doing the whole "ow, ow, ow, ow!" thing as they leave/enter.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/03/2007 04:47 PM CDT
Demeanor is your friend.
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/03/2007 04:55 PM CDT
<<Demeanor is your friend.>>

I was definitely thinking, huh, how come my non-Empath characters don't get randomly healed?

And realized that it was because the majority of them have a reserved demeanor. :)

~Laril, who just kind of hates the fuzzy-wuzzy positive demeanor messaging.
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/03/2007 05:35 PM CDT
For those younger empaths, you should be wary of doing this. It grants consent for killing you. and before you argue, read the rules of consent.
Mant people will get upset if anyone actively kills an empath. I personally will kill those who do this to me, specifically for RP reasons.

My bonded spouse is an empath. She is very very jealous of the wounds and has granted onlt specific people "wound rights".

So, before you argue about consent, or do the I will bring out my other character hunt you down and kill you for doing that, read the rules on consent. doing so is listed as abuse and is reportable, Taking wounds without consent is killable, as is casting magic on anyone without permission.
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/03/2007 05:36 PM CDT
It's only consent if you tell them to stop and they don't.

Rev. Reene

Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/03/2007 05:46 PM CDT
Sorry reene, I may be incorrect.Unfortunately I am unable to read the news in game that I have already read. But I swear I saw something upon those lines.

Because by then it is at times to late, its like a barbarian having to say its not consent the first time you cast a spell on em... It is consent automatically.some of the consent rules have been changes in the past few weeks

and its on par with stealing, you catch em you can kill em. they Stole the wounds. same thing
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/03/2007 05:47 PM CDT
I would personally equate healing someone's bleeder without asking first a form of stealing. If they took the time to get one and want to keep it it is most annoying to have it taken away.
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/03/2007 05:56 PM CDT
>> and its on par with stealing, you catch em you can kill em. they Stole the wounds. same thing

No, not really.

I feel confident in my assertions here considering how many GMs I've had to have that little talk with.

Rev. Reene

Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/03/2007 07:00 PM CDT
<< So, before you argue about consent, or do the I will bring out my other character hunt you down and kill you for doing that, read the rules on consent. doing so is listed as abuse and is reportable,

Wouldn't bringing out another character to hunt down someone and kill them be a policy violation?
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/03/2007 07:04 PM CDT
>> Wouldn't bringing out another character to hunt down someone and kill them be a policy violation?

yes, thats why I said it.
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/03/2007 09:57 PM CDT
Good point Villya. I've noticed plenty of Empaths getting discouraged from the get-go. It's tough. I should know, starting over as an Empath 3-4 times now.

I try to do what I can to let them heal the externals of a patient, and I'll grab everything else, but people are so bloody impatient nowadays. If you don't speed-heal them, they get discouraged and leave. Ugh.

I've found teaching young empaths empathy is really helpful in getting it moving for them.

I am still up in the air about the repercussions of LINK though? Someone told me once that it has unknown consequences.

-Desperado Clemency Apollonia, Vagrant of Elanthia

SEND[Reexa] :::whine::: go awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/03/2007 10:59 PM CDT
>>Someone told me once that it has unknown consequences.

It doesn't. All it does is add to your experience, and give you the tiniest bit of learning. If you are the person who accepted the link, the only experience you get is via the TEACH mechanics.

I think at one point it could penalize your ranks in certain situations, but I'm fairly confident that got changed to being a strict bonus (ie, +0 to +n, like the new power perception bonus for everyone).

Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/03/2007 11:36 PM CDT
Link has negative repercussions stemming back to its initial release, which was about as scandalous as the shift release. And, like shift, there are no negative repercussions that are hard coded into the system.

Shaunn
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/04/2007 12:23 AM CDT
>It's only consent if you tell them to stop and they don't.

This is pretty much the golden rule of consent. Anything can be consent if it follows that sequence. On the other hand, for most non-violent actions, consent is not automatic without this original warning being issued beforehand at some point.

Regarding theft, PvP stealing is on the level of unprovoked physical attack. It's understood to grant consent at all times without any warnings needing to be given beforehand.

Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/04/2007 10:12 AM CDT
Sorry the reply has been a little delayed. OOC: Just got off a Fire Station shift yay!

>>The youngins only do it because they don't know better, Villy... time to open a big can of whuparse in there.<<

If I'm on my Empath and I see it, I definately say something. However, when I'm on another character the RP is different, and their story is different, which is why I choose not you use demeanor changes unless I absolutely have too. But if I'm on Vill, and I see them doing that, I do wipe some arse.

>>I would personally equate healing someone's bleeder without asking first a form of stealing.<<

I wouldn't call it stealing, but it is really rude.

And another thing...I don't know who/what/or why, but is there any way we can change the cabinet in the Empath guild so that a person can only put so much of ONE thing in there? I have cleaned out that cabinet three times of rediculous amounts of Georin grass that leaves no room for any other herbs, and then I go ahead and fill it with whatever I can forage. It is just retarded, the cabinet in there is becoming what the shelf use to be; a trash bin.

~Villya

>
>
You ponder.
>
>
Farman licks his lips.
>
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/04/2007 05:59 PM CDT
Well, I love healing. No, really, I do.

Assuming no unusual situations, if I see someone injured, I'll ask at least 90% of the time, probably 95% of the time. Very rarely, I don't feeel like asking, or if they're someone I'm on very good terms with, I won't usually ask. If there's a bleeding wound, I DEFINATELY ask.

That gets tossed in an invasion or corpses coming into the clerics guild, I free-for-all that with some small restraint if there's other empaths around.

Or in other words, executing my personal judgement on healing.

PoKaeta

"Whatever, it's the end of the world. There's actually a Trader guild now. Bards are no longer useless. Empaths can finally stand up for themselves. We're all doomed."
- Vinjince
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/06/2007 09:14 AM CDT
>>I'm almost tempted to stick on a Protector or a weapons title on my Empath and see if I can get the same people to randomly heal me and gain nothing out of it.

Happens to me all the time. I don't tell them until they're finished and trying to figure out why their empathy wasn't moving.

~Arwinia

Thieves will continue to be dominated by the awesome power of the perceive health ability - that which causes rivers to dry up, babies to cry, and the earth to shake.
Stand back mortal, lest ye health be perceived.
-Ssra
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 07/07/2007 01:10 PM CDT
>>I'm almost tempted to stick on a Protector or a weapons title on my Empath and see if I can get the same people to randomly heal me and gain nothing out of it.

>Happens to me all the time.

Me too. I just let them do it, saves me the trouble of healing myself. What gets me is when I've been in the room for several minutes casting healing spells, perc healthing, being perc healthed by them, they touch me and see the shock scar, and they still don't notice.

Want to feel pretty, oh so pretty?
http://enchantress.leika.googlepages.com/home
Character customization through shifts, alterations, and custom enchantments!
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 08/21/2007 06:13 AM CDT
I will say first of all that my empath isn't very old training wise, but I've always made a point of asking a patient before taking their wounds. It's generally just rude not to.

One of the things that I've encountered is people stealing patients, I don't know if this is because they don't know any better or not but it is done by empaths of a variety of ages and is very, very annoying. Has anyone else encountered this regularly?

It's also awkward because (especially if they are older than me) I feel some what out of place saying anything about it because the aim is to heal the patient, and it gets the job done quicker, but it's my empathy experiance and tips they're taking, as well as it being very dis-heartening when you need empathy heavily to circle and it makes gaining the ranks so much harder.
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 08/21/2007 09:28 AM CDT
>>It's also awkward because (especially if they are older than me) I feel some what out of place saying anything about it because the aim is to heal the patient, and it gets the job done quicker, but it's my empathy experiance and tips they're taking, as well as it being very dis-heartening when you need empathy heavily to circle and it makes gaining the ranks so much harder.<<

You shouldn't be, if it happens again, tell them that you touched the patient first, and you will do your job in healing them. Only time stealing a patient is really okay is in critical times, and triage. But just because the Empath is a higher circle then you, let them know. I know sometimes myself I miss seeing the first person touch the patient, and when I find out I apologize and have the person tip them.

Sometimes it isn't out of being mean that Empaths do that, sometimes we just don't see the other person helping out.

Speak up!

~Villya

Obseden says, "Sorry, the Shift system is my nemesis."
(Villya wackes Vukasin in the head several times with her coffee mug for sleeping on the job. Gottcha!)
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 08/21/2007 06:12 PM CDT
I've always hated the term "stealing patients". In all my years I've never encountered an Empath that willingly and purposefully pounced on patients one right after the other. What I have seen are Empaths that honestly haven't seen another Empath touch the patient first, especially in a triage situation.

There will always be more patients. If someone accidentally heals someone you touched first, let it go. If they do it repeatedly, then you have a problem and should certainly say something.

Doctor Kerrian Runegazer
Citizen of Ilithi
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 08/21/2007 06:53 PM CDT
The rule of first touch is still correct, even though there may be some ignoramus youngins who haven't been trained properly.

That being said, highlights are your friend. It really doesn't take much effort to catch the various touch messages (which are dependent on demeanor settings) and put them in a distinct color.

~ Player of Farman et al.

Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 08/21/2007 08:05 PM CDT
There is at least one empath who will take everyone's wounds without asking, though an announcement is at least made beforehand. It won't matter if you have first-touch rights or not, either.

Then there are a bunch of empaths who are probably using some sort of superscript or the Crutch and completely disregard the conversations happening. I can nod at someone and announce to the room at large I'll help this person, but if one of these people gets a touch in during that time they claim I'm stealing patients.

Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 08/22/2007 07:11 AM CDT
>>I've always hated the term "stealing patients". In all my years I've never encountered an Empath that willingly and purposefully pounced on patients one right after the other.<<

Yeah, obviously again you don't hang around the Crossing Main Hall that much, I've seen a few Empaths do that and make sure NO ONE ELSE gets any patients.

>>There will always be more patients. If someone accidentally heals someone you touched first, let it go.<<

That is such a passive stance on that, I say let them know. First of all if they did it by accident and aren't realizing they did it, just nicely point it out. Most of the time they will apologize, ect, ect. However if you don't vocalize the incident, they might not learn and do the same mistake again. Healing overall has changed from what it use to be, and like J'Lo said, some people even when you announce you are taking someone, will still go ahead and touch the patient anyways.

Again, speak up! Let them know that they accidently did something and if they are any kind of competent human being behind that character they play, they should understand that they overstepped their bounds and it is less likely to happen again.

It's like with kids, would you keep letting a kid take a small piece of candy from a store because there are so many other pieces of candy still there, or would you make them bring it back and explain that what they did isn't acceptable?

Or would you be like be and whoop them then pay for the piece of candy?

~Beth, player of Villya

Obseden says, "Sorry, the Shift system is my nemesis."
(Villya wackes Vukasin in the head several times with her coffee mug for sleeping on the job. Gottcha!)
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 08/22/2007 01:01 PM CDT
<<Yeah, obviously again you don't hang around the Crossing Main Hall that much, I've seen a few Empaths do that and make sure NO ONE ELSE gets any patients.>>

Villya, that's because Kerrian is one of them who steals patients!
JK!!! But Kerrian, you remember Peachez (the original player of)? She would do that, and was quite blatantly nasty about it if she were pointed out for it. She was one who just didn't care.

'Lint

Spotlight:
Sapphyr throws a grilled T-bone steak at Lorzelophia. The steak lands a light hit to her back!
The T-bone steak falls to the ground!
Ranaar exclaims, "Death by steak!"
Re: To The Younger Empaths I encountered on my other character.. 08/22/2007 05:50 PM CDT
>That is such a passive stance on that, I say let them know. First of all if they did it by accident and aren't realizing they did it, just nicely point it out.

Last thing folks who know me would say is that I'm "passive". Be that as it may, life is much more enjoyable and less stressful if you give a person the benefit of the doubt. Again, if you see it become a pattern then by all means, speak up. If not, don't sweat it.

Doctor Kerrian Runegazer
Citizen of Ilithi