Empath tipping 11/18/2005 12:30 PM CST
This subject has arrisen before, and is occuring in other threads. But it's worthwhile to cover again.

Now- My characters who can afford to tip do so, whether bundles or gems (the good onces, not the small crystals and so on). Those who can't apologize for the lack, and do give hugs and say thank you. My cleric who is fortunate enough to have the Glythtide's Gift spell memorized will conjure drinks, since many empaths refuse to accept gems or coins from her. The drinks usually go over very well indeed, unless the empath doesn't drink for whatever reason.

My empath doesn't ask for a tip up front, but she will accept them. However, there are people she will not heal. Let me give you an example:

Some years ago on the day she just gained her 13th circle, she got called to heal a couple of reaver-shaft victims. One of them was a favorless paladin. Needless to say, he got it from the other corpse, the rescue party, and the empath. Anyway, the empath was a mess after she finished with them, so she retired to the Unicorn to heal down a bit. But she hadn't gotten very far when I got a message over the IMs that a 'paladin' (I use the word loosely here) needed an emergency heal by crocs. So she went up and took care of it. Then this 'paladin' and his friends decided that it would be fun to spar. It wouldn't hurt them much, after all: The empath was there. However, the empath was closer to dead than alive. She got sick of that sheer stupidity, told them so, and left them there. She thinks twice about healing spar wounds now. And she never was tipped for the horrific risks she took there.

Even if a patient can't offer gems or coin or whatever, a little courtesy goes a long way.

The mind behind Ryeka and the brood

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Empath tipping 11/18/2005 01:02 PM CST
Why are we beating this dead horse again about tipping...its like the damn thing is just bones now..

Alright..Tipping is only relevent to whoever is recieving the tip. For younger Empaths a few stones and rock crystals are amazing since they aren't making alot of money to begin with anyways. Yes, as you get bigger, the stones and crystals don't add up and become little or really nothing.

This has always been, and it will never change. I've been kinda healing for a few days and I see some good tips and some bad tips. I had a guy give me a plat the other day for a few minor wounds and some other one bleeding everywhere and he gave me a few crappy gems. I smiled and thanked them anyways because maybe thats all they have. I have an older war mage who can't tip anymore then a few gems because she doesn't make that much hunting, but she tips as much as she can to show her appreciation. If you really don't like the tips, take up hunting and start manipulating gargs and cash in on your own skills.

*kicks the dead horse named "TIPPER" and walks off*

~Villya

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
-H. L. Mencken
Re: Empath tipping 11/18/2005 01:15 PM CST
>>*kicks the dead horse named "TIPPER" and walks off*

::grins:: poor dead horse. but yeah..how much longer can we debates this before it is all redundant? Tip what you can and don't be cheap if you can afford more. ::smiles and shoots the horse in the head to make sure it's dead::

~Sindea
Re: Empath tipping 11/18/2005 01:36 PM CST
>how much longer can we debates this before it is all redundant?

Eh, I've noticed that there are always a few different folks in here asking the questions. No harm in asking, even if it's been done a bajillion times before as long as new people get information. If we had a FAQ, this would be a great thing to put in it, but we don't.

There's a project, the empath FAQ.

1. Tipping. Tip a reasonable amount for what you earn, from a few copper to plats, don't care. Scar herbs are almost always great. Special treats, like food, weird gems, clothes, general random interesting stuff is good. Many empaths do like boxes or skins, so ask, you might be surprised. At a minimum, smile, say thank you and be polite. i.e. don't fall asleep and then act all startled when, ten minutes later, we're standing there poking you to wake you up because we wanna go play.

2. General respect. We're not zombies. If you want to be healed by one of them, go see the auto-puff. At least recognize we are alive and might not want to be talked over as if we were only so much code.

3. No, we can't hunt. Manipulation is a joke for killing lots of critters in a short period of time. Manipulate is a joke for killing even a small number of critters in a long period of time. It's about as exciting as watching grass grow. Get over it. Give us some of your loot in trade for healing and we'll all be happy.

4. Unless we're married to you, we don't have to do what you say, and even then we probably won't. What wife in all of history has actually obeyed her husband? Enough said. You can kill us but in DR that doesn't shut us up.

5. Yes, you can kill any empath you feel like. Killing someone who can't hurt you isn't brave, it's stupid. If the only charas you can pwnz are empaths you really are a pathetic looser.

6. The flip side of that is, yes, there are mouthy empaths. Dragging them into kra'hei, DS, Adan'f, Malchata, etc and leaving them there is likely to be far more entertaining than just killing them. Show a little creativity. Knock 'em over in the middle of the NTR for the caravans to chew up. Throw them down the reaver shaft. It's always sorta pathetic when you have the empath standing there with 16 bolts in their hide, you're reloading again, and they're just laughing at you.
Re: Empath tipping 11/18/2005 03:51 PM CST
One small thing I've always noticed is that people tended not to tip more than what they had on hand or easily accessible. Sometimes they'd have enough to provide at least a semi-decent tip and you merely took that, sometimes they'd give you a silly "down payment" and then anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours (or even days, or weeks!) later they'd appear out of the blue and give you the "proper amount". Most of the time, however, you'd never see them again.

I'm starting to get into the same situation with my non-empaths, and one thing I've taken to doing is to offer to give something to get a response. Most of the time they only insist on a hug and please/thankyou, but if they say otherwise then I at least have a target value to work towards and later get into the hands of the healer. You can really make a name for yourself among empaths if you keep your promises.

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Empath tipping 11/18/2005 07:42 PM CST
*burns the dead horse*

~Villya

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
-H. L. Mencken
Re: Empath tipping 11/18/2005 11:06 PM CST
*heals the dead and burnt horse*

---
-Clemency
---
"Put your head up to my heart, hear me live and follow suit, this will all be over soon, it's gonna hurt a little." -Emberghost
Re: Empath tipping 11/19/2005 12:18 AM CST
::Borrows someone's crossbow heedless of the shock and shoots the horse in the head. Repeats about 50 times, gets Villya to help her burn horse again and quickly scatters it's ashes to no one can heal it, ressurect it WHATEVER::
Re: Empath tipping 11/19/2005 12:20 AM CST
...but it's a good discussion. :(

Rev. Reene, player of a few

>
Clemency struggles with his clogged crevice.