Prev_page Previous 1 3
Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 06:55 AM CST
I was recently in a situation where someone I knew contracted a disease in an isolated location from someone springing a trap. All three of us gwethed for assistance and finally got a response after many minutes of nasty peeling skin. When an empath arrived they demanded 3 plat up front, or would not save him from sure death. As he did not have the money someone else gave it to him so he could be healed, after much heated discussion where I said some things I probably should not have. I am just wondering... Is this type of behavior socially acceptable for most empaths? I am all for tipping and have nothing for respect for all of your guild, but this situation really disappointed me. Any thoughts?

~Petal~
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 06:59 AM CST
Eh...it happens...it's annoying, but it happens.

By chance, was one of your friends a thief? :grin: This Empath was probably more interested in money than helping out, so perhaps the next time there's a pickpocket friend around ya, enlist his/her assistance.

Just an idea...

~Brady, player of Bounty Hunter Samus, Wayne Brady and M. Baiter of The Fallen

The shadowling exclaims, "Bogo!"
Looks like someone has BOGO on the brain...
~~~
Join The Fallen!
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 07:18 AM CST
So, that's just wrong. I don't ask for tips unless it's 'cause people have been sparring like idiots. And even then I tend to not ask and fume later when they say, "thanks" and walk out without tipping me at all. I feel that if they CHOOSE to harm themselves by sparring then yes, they should be tipping at least a plat for my troubles in healing them. I mean, face it, most of the time when someone spars and then drags to the empath the person's vitality is almost gone, they've probably got three or four bleeders 'cause they can't stop at first hit. They have to make sure they've proven they're the bigger badder person. shrugs As far as the whole asking for three plat up front I somehow feel there's more to it than what was said. I don't think I've ever met an empath who has asked for payment up front. Though sometimes I seems like we should considering how many people tend to just walk off without so much as a thank you, though that's mostly in crossing.

~Sindea
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 07:27 AM CST
>>As far as the whole asking for three plat up front I somehow feel there's more to it than what was said.

You don't know the half of it... I've the interesting perspective of getting to see unvarneshed logs of the empath in question(walking the 10 steps to her computer helps hee) and to say that the originial goof left a bit out would be a slight understatement. If I were in her shoes, I would have let the little meathead die, snickering the while time. Additionally, if I'd've had the fortune of being there, at least one of that little party of dipsticks would have needed a cleric too.

Way to bash someone for having a backbone and standing up for themselves dispite you being a jerk, sucks when it goes in the favor of the 'lil guy' for once eh?

P.S. Petal, I'll keep an eye out for your lil gang now, sense you didn't have the brass tacks to take your lumps and drop it, I guess I won't either.

Paragon Samsaren Remlane, Guardian Lord of Therengia, beloved partner of the Battle Empath Nimmi Arkent.
I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man, target practice on the other hand, is another matter entirely.
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 07:34 AM CST
I did ask for some background information from the empath several times so I could better understand her seemingly selfish motives but got nothing. As to the said people being my "little gang" I hadn't spoken to any of them for over a month so I'd hardly consider them that. Was just hitching a ride up to Muspari to do some shopping and found myself in an awkward situation. I guess it is hard to be idealistic when the people you are trying to defend aren't and if that was indeed the case, I apologize.

~Petal~
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 07:51 AM CST
It really all depends on the situation. I have in many instances asked for a set amount up front. The usual reason is that if someone gweths for a path, and I have to inturupt my training to come help. Other reasons would be if it was someone I know is high circle who didn't bother to tip last time, or someone who I caught stealing from me.

As I said, it all depends. If I'm healing though, tips tend not to be important, and I just take what I'm given.

Mole
_______
At 1.0000001 with the Universe
I...just wants to go around killing people - Souv
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 08:08 AM CST
LOL...I knew that as soon as I said something that it would have been someone I knew...lol

I highly doubt the situation was as originally presented...I've even had some of my close friends change a story when they're telling me about some drama that went down...really annoys me sometimes.

<3 Nimmi! She uses good judgement...I know she doesn't need the coin, so there had to be a logical reason for her to demand the charge up-front.

~~~
Join The Fallen!
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 08:22 AM CST
Nimmi has always been a quality empath in my experience. Aside from my doubts that she would put someone in that situation without them doing a good deal to put themselves there, I think it's perfectly in the empath's rights to demand payment for a service. When the patients' lives are in danger I think the empath does have a certain degree of obligation to stabilize them. If they are being jerks, I think they also have a certain degree of obligation to watch them die.

~Purehand
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 08:30 AM CST
*cheers for Purehand* Thank you! I swear, whenever I say anything about asking for payment I'm told, it's your duty to heal everyone and never dare ask for payment up front. scoffs Is it the empaths who feel that way or those who get healed by the empaths? I've always wondered where the members of our guild stand on this subject.
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 08:38 AM CST
>I've always wondered where the members of our guild stand on this subject.

I've never supported mandatory healing for empaths, but I wouldn't report someone who killed Dio for not healing, either. Being OOC is consent. <shrug> Unfortunately, in the case of an empath refusing to heal, the person not being healed is the victim. To stay in charcter, the empath must heal since it is the defining function of the guild.

That said, I don't think it's right when someone kills an empath for not healing when there is no reasonable sign the character is an empath. Using a piece of equipment such as the unicorn shield or the steel tower with the empath crest isn't enough, it has to be something only an empath would wear, such as a ring or epaulet.

The reason for this is that I think if someone isn't advertising their guild, then they shouldn't be required under policy to fulfill the role of that guild.
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 08:49 AM CST
Yeah, people who are aghast when an empath actually asks for payment for services are simply not in touch with reality.

I find the people that honestly feel empaths 'owe' them something simply by virtue of their guild to be morally reprehensible.

A few years ago there were several very strongly Rp'ed empaths that demanded payment up front. I know she rubbed some people the wrong way and something occurred when she left the realms, but I always looked up to Mady.

~Purehand
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 08:51 AM CST
Also, don't listen to Sakhara on these matters.

(Or me for that matter, but definitely not Sakhara, heh)

~Purehand
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 09:17 AM CST
As a former empath and current cleric, I fully support anyone who charges up front for their skills.

Not only is it perfectly within their rights to do so, the inevitable conversations that spring up from people being aghast that someone dare ask compensation are generally quite amusing.

Empaths/Clerics have the right to charge up front. Patients/Corpses have the right to refuse to pay and not get helped as a result. The only reason it becomes an issue is that many people have a sense of entitlement, and that they're special and shouldn't be charged anything to receive the treatment they want from others.

Charge away if so inclined. Just be aware that many people vilify it to a degree comparable to, say, graverobbing.

Syralon
Cleric of Ushnish
"We desire information more than battle. You may choose...satisfy our minds or our hunger."
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 09:21 AM CST
>>I've never supported mandatory healing for empaths, but I wouldn't report someone who killed Dio for not healing, either. Being OOC is consent. <shrug> Unfortunately, in the case of an empath refusing to heal, the person not being healed is the victim. To stay in charcter, the empath must heal since it is the defining function of the guild.

I strongly disagree with that. Just because an empath refuses to heal doesn't mean they're being OOC. I stay in character just fine and I barely heal anymore unless I'm just that bored. People who think like that annoy me. "Healing is the defining function of the guild" It's our SOLE purpose in elanthia, to heal people and if we don't get tipped then that's just ok. Who cares?

I have heard so many arguments lately about empaths.

1. People shouldn't HAVE to tip because just by allowing us to heal them we are getting experience. I say people like that should just be left to die.

2. The other reason people see no reason to tip, "Empaths can hunt and make their own monies." Yes...if that is ALL I do for 3 days i may have earned 1 plat. MAYBE. I'm training to be a battle empath but it's slow work and I can't handle anything higher then a grendel yet.

3. The fact that the guild is divided by the whole to accept tips or not to accept tips. Yes, it may be your choice to not accept tips but I hate it when empaths simply decline and don't give a reason why they are declining or say, "I don't believe in charging for my gift. However we have plenty of young ones who don't get many tips, if you like you could leave the gem on the shelf" or something. Sometimes when we don't accept tips that makes the person feel as though all empaths heal out of the kindess of their hearts because of their gift. Truth is when I stop and start healing people it's because I'm broke.

4. The whole you shouldn't attack empaths. Yes, I can see where an empath is soo threatening that you must kill them! I can understand if the empath in question has been rudely insulting you all day and then begins to try and cast lethargy or nissa's binding or some other such spell, then they have taken action against you. But I have seen empaths killed for simply disagreeing with someone. What that says to me is some can't win a sparring match or something so to make himself feel bigger and better he kills the first empath who has an attitude.

If anyone should be questioning our ethics I think it should be the empaths. It seems like we just roll over and let people walk all over us. I'm sick of it. I don't think our guild gets that much respect, when face it, how many of you who aren't empaths would have died if not for an empath at some point or other. But, whatever, these are just my opinions and I'm entitled to them just as any of you are entitled to your own. Take them or leave them as you please, i just think that the empaths, as a guild, should think about the way things are. As far as i'm concerned guilds are supposed to be united, share common cause, whatever. Sindea may be an empath, might sit in the guild to heal but I don't think that the guild, as in the people who form it, really exists because of the fact we are so divded on so many subjects.

~Sindea
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 09:27 AM CST
3. The fact that the guild is divided by the whole to accept tips or not to accept tips. Yes, it may be your choice to not accept tips but I hate it when empaths simply decline and don't give a reason why they are declining or say, "I don't believe in charging for my gift. However we have plenty of young ones who don't get many tips, if you like you could leave the gem on the shelf" or something. Sometimes when we don't accept tips that makes the person feel as though all empaths heal out of the kindess of their hearts because of their gift. Truth is when I stop and start healing people it's because I'm broke.

Ok, I'm exhausted and just re read this and it kinda didn't make sense to me and I was the one who wrote it... what I meant to say, Yes, it may be your choice to not accept tips but I hate it when empaths simply decline and don't give a reason why they are declining. They should give a reason and maybe even say, "I don't believe in charging for my gift. However we have plenty of young ones who don't get many tips, if you like you could leave the gem on the shelf" or something.

yeah...I need to take a nap...I can't hardly process thoughts.

~Sindea
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 09:46 AM CST
>Just because an empath refuses to heal doesn't mean they're being OOC.

Oh, I hate it like poison, but that doesn't mean it's not right. If you are playing Glinda in the Wizard of Oz, it is OOC to cackle and cheer when the Wicked Witch sends her monkeys after Dorothy.

>It's our SOLE purpose in elanthia, to heal people and if we don't get tipped

Ask any guild leader. Guilds have definitions. Empaths happen to have the narrowest, particularly in relation to other characters. Ask any other charcter of any other guild in Elanthia what the purpose of an empath is and they'll say healing unless they're lying through their teeth to keep their empath spouse from beating up on them. Flat out, what other purpose do we have? The occasional beauty salon? That's not even officially sanctioned.

>I say people like that should just be left to die.

Yup, Dio does. And then if they come back and try to kill him, he takes it.

From News 5 24

Any statement, emote or action used in a negative manner against another player has the potential to be considered consent, especially when it is deliberately used to goad the target into a physical encounter. There should be evidence of provocation strong enough to warrant a reasonable person to respond in a negative manner. A single taunt, slap, kick, etc., alone may not be sufficient. However, if a player is repeatedly and openly insulting another player, or kicking, punching, slapping, etc. -- then that person is operating under implied consent.

In other words, if their target gets tired of the abuse and chooses to react in a more physical manner, they have the ability to do so. If the abuser has been reasonably warned to cease their behavior, and they continue with said actions, then they are giving their target consent. "Hit me again and I will kill you." Abuser does it again, bingo -- he just consented. Interpretation: Don't write checks your player won't cash. *Do not expect staff intervention in situations that you have provoked, exacerbated or kept deliberately ongoing.* You will be expected to deal with the repercussions of your actions.

Letting someone die is certainly behaving in a negative manner toward another player and most definately consent, since you just killed them through your behavior. Refusing to heal is deliberate provocation by threating another character's life. That looks pretty straight forward to me.

>But I have seen empaths killed for simply disagreeing with someone.

See above. That is also a deliberate provocation and consent. The empath can strike back. Just because the penalties for striking back are the most severe for any action in game doesn't mean anything under consent and policy. It's back to "Live on your knees or die on your feet." That is a choice.

>It seems like we just roll over and let people walk all over us.

Because we have that above choice. We can either stand up for ourselves and take the shock, possibly never healing or circling again, or we can live on our knees.
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 10:49 AM CST
<<Letting someone die is certainly behaving in a negative manner toward another player and most definately consent, since you just killed them through your behavior. Refusing to heal is deliberate provocation by threating another character's life. That looks pretty straight forward to me.

Funny, I thought it was their actions that killed them. They chose to hunt, spar, open the box, etc. Perhaps they were attacked by someone for no reason, but that still doesn't make it MY fault, as the Empath, that they died. Regardless of how you feel about tipping, you can't blame the Empath for the person's death. What if the only Empath sitting at the guild was a very low circle one, or someone who already had multiple dangerous wounds, or low vitality and no Vitality Healing spell? Under that reasoning, are they expected to kill themselves in order to save the patient? Those who respond to house calls are in the same situation - you tend not to know what you're getting into with a gweth for help and are often responding to someone who can't come to you for whatever reason.

Life is pain, is it not? Every action carries a risk of death. Some carry a higher risk. Foraging outside the NE gate typically carries a very low risk of death, but that changes when an invasion comes to town. Sitting in an inn chatting quietly carries a low risk of death, until a crazed person comes in and starts killing people for no reason. I refuse to take that risk away from anyone.

Before I started playing an Empath, my Trader always looked at Empaths as those capable of performing a very special and unique service, and tipped accordingly. Since I started playing an Empath, the Trader's become even more patient (honestly, folks, a simple "We'll be right with you" does a lot for patient patience; they know they're not being ignored) and tipped even more generously, because I as the player am aware of all the "behind the scenes" effort that goes into self-healing.

As for tipping, I've had several people suggest the half 'n half method: Half of the loot from the hunt goes to the healing Empath(s), since without the Empath the hunter would be unable to hunt. Whether that's a single rat pelt or multiple plats, the hunter is tipping in accordance with their abilities. As for those who get hurt due to sparring...that's a whole other ball of wax.

Sorry for rambling - trying to write grad school applications and discuss my future research has put me in a wordy mood!

--Kate
player of a Trader and an Empath
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 12:05 PM CST
<<I did ask for some background information from the empath several times so I could better understand her seemingly selfish motives but got nothing. >>

Actually, if you had paid attention, I told your pal exactly why I was charging up front. Since he agreed to pay, he either understood why or really, really didn't want to die. Did I feel the need to respond to your whispers? Nope. I was busy and had already stated why I did what I did.

As for the patient in question, he understood why and accepted that. The whole little ordeal was quite amusing for me, and I was proud of myself for standing up for my own ethics. I don't feel people should just be rude or even indifferent in passing, because, well, let's face it - as you can see - you never know when you might run into that person again and under what circumstances. It was my ethics of politeness towards me and mine that inspired me. (Yes, there was an "incidence" that sparked this ordeal. It was talked out and all is well between me and the guy as far as I'm concerned.)

I will say that your remarks and those of your other friend almost got the original guy left to die. I didn't feel the abuse was necessary especially since the infected guy didn't feel the need to harrass me, and some of those comments by the peanut gallery - not even worth the 3 plat. As has been stated, I don't need the money, it was not out of greed, but out of the desire to have a backbone and stand for something I believe in. I've seen that guy in Rossman's, so I really doubt the 3 plat is hurting his wallet and if it is, he has the potential to remedy that in a rather short time. If he was that concerned about it, he'd have said no thank you, I'd have went on my merry way, and he'd either made it to help elsewhere or died trying.

On another note, you may think less of me. You may say that I shame my guild, but remember, if I had been your friend prior, and was telling you about the situation and you weren't involved, you'd be applauding for me having made 3 plat in 5 minutes. It's all in what side of the fence you're on.

~Chris
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 12:33 PM CST
>>If they are being jerks, I think they also have a certain degree of obligation to watch them die.

So true...heh...and, honestly, I've had many kind tourney contestants that have paid me nicely for my services after senselessly beating each other up right outside the guild..hehe It doesn't bother me whether or not I get paid, but after seeing the same face and recognizing it to a particular situation, that will change. If they're being nice, then I'll be nice, but I'm not going to heal someone that's making themselves resemble the south side of a north-bound mule.

I can understand Empaths requesting money up front for their services. I wouldn't ever do it to someone that I didn't know, but I would expect it from someone that I've seen in the past and had a good experience with. Everyone creates their own stance on it, and I don't think anyone is right or wrong....you know what they say about opinions ;-)

~~~
Join The Fallen!
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 12:45 PM CST
First thing I disagree with is the 'purpose' statement which always seems to come up during the discussion of empaths, or any other guild for that matter. A well roleplayed character in DR becomes an individual, a person. People do not have a narrowly defined 'purpose'. That would be similar to saying the 'purpose' of Fred the janitor is to sweep the hall. No, its his job. Just like Fred, and empath's job is to heal. But, also like Fred, an empath can choose not to do the job, if the money or some other factor doesnt suit him.

The case of empaths being able to just decline service is strained because of the possibility for death on the part of the patient. Unlike most services in the realms, healing critical injuries is not one where a person can seek alternate 'sellers'. Granted, in town there are autopuffs, but cases where folks cant make it into town before death, or trauma situations, most empaths are willing to at least stabilize the patient. Even if the patient does die, people can come back to life!

I have no problem with empaths demanding payment, and at times my empath will goad some extra cash out of patients. I do have a problem with defining a 'purpose' to empaths. I roleplay my character as a person with much more going on than my affiliation to the Empath guild, and I know many other players RP the same way. Purpose is intended for machines and tools, not people.

-Player of Davidovf
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 01:08 PM CST
>People do not have a narrowly defined 'purpose'.

No, people do not, however, characters do. That is one of the things that makes the difference between a fictional character and real human being. A well crafted character has a well defined purpose with an actor implementing that character showing the character performing his/her purpose in the plot accurately without extraneous cues that don't support the character's purpose.
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 01:43 PM CST
Oh My god...

First off..any Empath who asks for money for services up front can do so. Basically they are the one that are healing you, if you don't like it, die and pay the cleric.

Secondly Nimmi as quirky as she is, I've always seen as a good Empath on both my characters, so I don't find it odd or anything that she would ask for payment up front. I know a few Empaths who ask for payments up front, since now a days as we get higher, we don't need to heal people anymore. I rarely heal anyone unless they ask nicely.

Third..its a ROLE PLAYING game. If they want to Role play their Empath in such a manner so be it. Realize that the screen you are looking at is not real, you don't have control...Now turn it off, and go cry outside.

People are getting crazier these days...

~Villya

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
-H. L. Mencken
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 02:03 PM CST
Don't feed the trolls.

SAKHARA doesn't seriously believe half of what he posts, anyway...

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

"Is glas iad na cnoic i bhfad uainn."
-Distant hills look green.
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 03:10 PM CST
Unless they'd done something to deserve it, I wouldn't even demand payment from someone who was actually seriously dying.

I would save their life THEN ask for some 'motivation' to finish, or walk away and let someone else do it.

Priorities, people!

>> As far as the whole asking for three plat up front I somehow feel there's more to it than what was said.

Yeah this sure does sound like it. They probably had some history or something and she might not have wanted to talk about it with a stranger. I would have done the same thing if it was someone I didn't like or that I'd blacklisted (and most people go on the blacklist for being cheap anyway).

I would have laughed very hard when they refused, died, and got pissed off. All part of the magic of being an Empath.

>> But I have seen empaths killed for simply disagreeing with someone.

Beats the old days in which killing any Empath for any reason would get you hunted down and killed multiple times, possibly walked.

At least now we're starting to be independant and held accountable for what we do and say, even if that's taken to extremes sometimes (just like with every other guild).

Rev. Reene, player of a few

>
Clemency struggles with his clogged crevice.
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 03:13 PM CST
Posting to add this:

>> On another note, you may think less of me. You may say that I shame my guild, but remember, if I had been your friend prior, and was telling you about the situation and you weren't involved, you'd be applauding for me having made 3 plat in 5 minutes. It's all in what side of the fence you're on.

You've just created a perfect summary of why most people in DR act the way they do. Good show, even if I get caught in this trap myself from time to time.

>
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 06:12 PM CST
This thread is a perfect example of why when an empath can use percieve health to gain empathy ranks effectively, they prefer that to healing people.

Killing an empath because you won't pay for the service of being healed for a condition you introduced to yourself and could have avoided is illogical.

- The Player of Holdenn, a bad empath

Not liking an answer you're given doesn't mean one wasn't given. - Painbringer Skiori
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 09:43 PM CST
My Cleric pretty much always demands payment up front.

My Empath has a few times in the past, but does not anymore.

What I find kind of funny is that healing a patient, for an Empath, is generally MUCH more difficult and time-intensive than rejuving a corpse for a Cleric (particularly if the Cleric is any good), and fewer people seem to have a problem with my Cleric's refusals to assist than my Empath's few-and-far-between requests for payment. I'm not sure if that's because my Cleric is more likely to be able to splatter them if they attack her, or what, but it's definitely something I've noticed.

Many people do have sort of an irrational sense of entitlement, and attempting to get through to them can be anywhere from frustrating to hilarious. It's worth it to demand payment up front once or twice, just to see what happens. If it's in your character's character to do so, of course. :)

I applaud any Empath who is successful in her requests for payment up front. Selfishness is awesome! Ask Ayn Rand if you don't believe me. Honestly, the average tip amounts are pretty appalling, and those Empaths who don't do resale or have spouses/family/"brothers and sisters" that make money are pretty screwed, financially.

~Laril
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 09:56 PM CST
Ayn Rand also thought hypocritical adultery and homophobia was awesome, too. She wasn't all new, anyways. She was like a poorly thought out Nietzsche that was deluded into thinking she could write literature.

Why would I pay an empath upfront when, in most cases an herb will do a job faster (in terms of time lost/gained off the battle field)? ::ponder::

I look forwards to the day we can create disease curing herbs...

(This Is Not) Mrrar

Out of Context Theatre
"Shaved head, but in a good way."--Ragran
"Their number is negligible and they are stupid."--Eisenhower
~~Join The Fallen!~~ (So you don't bother me >:o )
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 10:10 PM CST
>>I look forwards to the day we can create disease curing herbs...

I look forward to that too, so then I never have to hear anyone complain that they are going to die of disease if we do not heal them. It will be a good day for hunters and Empaths all around.

~Villya

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
-H. L. Mencken
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 10:22 PM CST
>> I'm not sure if that's because my Cleric is more likely to be able to splatter them if they attack her, or what, but it's definitely something I've noticed.

Not just the splatter, but the fact that Empaths for years and years have cultivated an image of themselves as being wound slaves under everyone's heel for the experience to advance in their guild. Even now you see young(ish) Empaths begging for wounds, asking for someone to go get hurt so they can be healed, healing people no matter how appalling their behavior and acting happy about bleeding from six brand new orfices. Roleplaying as someone without self-respect is fine but it gets old after you see the same thing time after time.

>> Honestly, the average tip amounts are pretty appalling, and those Empaths who don't do resale or have spouses/family/"brothers and sisters" that make money are pretty screwed, financially.

Extremely true.

It's also why I get really bothered when an Empath gets tipped a topaz/crystal/diopside or two and gushes over it, or (heaven forbid) calls it a good tip. Mind, I'm talking about people I know can afford better, because I see them in decent level hunting grounds hacking away.

Passively reinforcing someone's bad habits are one thing...But actively telling them that their pittiance is good? No. I'm getting more vocal about it now, and I won't accept tips of the topaz, crystal or diopside variety. Tell them why too. How mean I am about it tends to vary based on how much expensive fluff I see them wearing (though I've never accepted tips from obvious novices so that's never an issue with me).

>
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/17/2005 10:25 PM CST
>> Why would I pay an empath upfront when, in most cases an herb will do a job faster (in terms of time lost/gained off the battle field)? ::ponder::

You're right in one thing: Most Empaths suck at what they do. It makes me wince every time I see an Empath beyond 5th circle talking about overhealing like it's the inevitable consequence of being an Empath.

It IS funny, however, to say in no uncertain terms that overhealing occurs from irresponsibility or outright incompetence and watch people take it as a personal insult.

>
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/18/2005 02:47 AM CST
<<Even now you see young(ish) Empaths begging for wounds, asking for someone to go get hurt so they can be healed, healing people no matter how appalling their behavior and acting happy about bleeding from six brand new orfices.>>

I think a lot of these idiots are slave characters.

On the other hand, perhaps I just tell myself that because I prefer to believe that no REAL Empath would behave that way.

<<It's also why I get really bothered when an Empath gets tipped a topaz/crystal/diopside or two and gushes over it, or (heaven forbid) calls it a good tip. Mind, I'm talking about people I know can afford better, because I see them in decent level hunting grounds hacking away.>>

It's just pathetic.

My least favorite method of tipping, ever, is when someone clearly just empties their pockets on you, and it totals maybe 2 silver.

Soandso gives you 20 copper dokoras.
Soandso gives you 8 bronze lirums.
Soandso gives you 1 silver kronar.
Soandso gives you 10 copper kronars.

Aren't they embarrassed? Do they think if they give me a lot of small coins in different denominations I won't notice how pathetic the tip is?

What's worst about this whole "tip" vs. "payment" situation, though, is that it is often other Empaths and Clerics who are the most abusive of their guildmates for attempting to take a stand and require payment rather than merely accepting a tip.

I have had several unfortunate experiences where my Cleric was the only Cleric in her guildhall, and upon her refusal to touch a corpse without monetary incentive, another Cleric was gwethed for. When these Clerics arrived and were apprised of the situation, they usually got downright infuriated, and proceeded to sit there and rejuve any corpse that arrived with self-righteous alacrity, in a furor to prove how self-abasing "real" Clerics can be.

My Cleric didn't care. It gave her more time and mana with which to cast Benediction. :) But for me, it's sort of depressing. I'm sure Empaths can be just as bad, I just have less personal experience with it because my Empath is more generally a pleasant person and rarely attempts to secure up front payment for her services.

~Laril, and some Cleric.
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/18/2005 08:34 AM CST
That looks like they were giving you everything they had.

Don't you find it sorta hypocritical to be annoyed at the healing behaviour/choices of another, and then in turn offended when they get annoyed/angry at you, by your choices?

(This Is Not) Mrrar

Out of Context Theatre
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/18/2005 08:38 AM CST
>and upon her refusal to touch a corpse without monetary incentive

My empath pretty much hates healing corpses and generally will pawn the job off on anyone else slow enough to not get caught. Oh, he'll do it, complaining and moaning and fussing the whole time ... slowly, very slowly, in hopes another empath will show up.

Again, bad role playing, but he grew up without raise. He's seen it now. His husband has done it and has even raised him. He still hates touching corpses. If the corpse is nice enough and really, really works at it, yeah, he'll heal them with reasonable speed. (This isn't counting friends, who will get healed when dead.) But he just doesn't like it. Of course it helps that a corpse can't get up and chase him down to kill him. He can get away with mouthing off to a corpse, which I think is also part of it.

Speaking of which, can a corpse really get consent for an empath refusing to heal them? Dio's opinion is that since they're already dead, he's not harming them by not touching them. He has a very vague concept of consent, that being what the gods will punish him for violating, just like the voices from heaven came down when he said a banned word. Sorta something like sin. So, he does understand he's not allowed to let people die no matter how obnoxious they are, unless he can do it without getting caught. He can have very selective hearing, something like a cat.
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/18/2005 09:07 AM CST
>Even now you see young(ish) Empaths begging for wounds, asking for someone to go get hurt so they can be healed, healing people no matter how appalling their behavior and acting happy about bleeding from six brand new orfices.

This is why I was really disappointed with the way teaching empathy was implemented. No young empath could maintain an empathy link with a teacher that could really help them out. I would much rather have seen normal teaching mechanics put in for it and maybe a circle or skill cap at which you could no longer listen to an empathy class. With so many empaths starting out, and healing people being the only real way to learn their primary skill, it definitely perpetuates the perception that the patients are doing empaths a favor.

> Honestly, the average tip amounts are pretty appalling, and those Empaths who don't do resale or have spouses/family/"brothers and sisters" that make money are pretty screwed, financially.

About 75% of the tips that are offered to me aren't worth the effort of accepting and putting in my gem pouch, so I don't accept them. My laziness is a huge contributer to this and it pretty much shapes my tip accepting policy. If not for shifting, I would be destitute. If i'm in the guild I just ask they put it on the shelf (and because I'm lazy, that whisper is on button #3 on the crutch). I agree with the 'family' connection too. I don't transfer funds around too much, but I definitely never have to worry about buying scar herbs or origami.

> Why would I pay an empath upfront when, in most cases an herb will do a job faster (in terms of time lost/gained off the battle field)? ::ponder::

I heal you long time. Heal you gud. Make forget herbs. Long time!

~Purehand
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/18/2005 09:16 AM CST
>Speaking of which, can a corpse really get consent for an empath refusing to heal them?

No. And if refusing to help another is consent, I expect battle royale to ensue in my vicinity, because I hardly ever bother with deaders.

Reporting is futile, you will be assimilated.
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/18/2005 09:37 AM CST
lol Purehand...

Also, if we have herbal remedies to poison, maybe Tinctures will finally be worthwhile.

Then I will have transcended the empath in life!

::steeple fingers:: Eeeexcellent..

(This Is Not) Mrrar

Out of Context Theatre
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/18/2005 09:38 AM CST
>My empath pretty much hates healing corpses and generally will pawn the job off on anyone else slow enough to not get caught. Oh, he'll do it, complaining and moaning and fussing the whole time ... slowly, very slowly, in hopes another empath will show up.

>Again, bad role playing

This is actually good roleplaying and makes sense IC.

~Purehand
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/18/2005 09:58 AM CST
Well, time for my 2 bronze, I've shaved off the 10 plat version. I go by my lists.

If you on my 3 good ones, I'd literally die for you. Especially the box giving list, and the friend list.

2 bad lists. Bad tipping, and the NO-Heal. Bad tipping, I might stabilize you, but I'm not doing more than that. You have to struggle to be obviously wealthy enough that you can afford to tip SOMETHING, be rude enough to not, and then be even ruder by not even offering something freely given in appreciation. How difficult is it to say "Thank you", give a hug, tip less than one monster gives you, and be on your way? (Not that I condone that small of a tip, but if you're 40th circle, you can give. Unless you just kill stuff, skin it, and drop the skin, and let the corpse rot.)

That's the bad tipper list, it's small, and actually harder to get on that list than my worst list. Anyone on my no heal list I don't even consider worth touching to heal, flat out. The reasons for getting on this list vary, but they're not on it for merely not tipping me. They're on it for threats, murder without justification, repeated foul language beyond what is even remotely acceptable, and the like, against anyone, not even me usually, when I'm a witness to their actions.

I don't require payment for healing, but a tip (If I can tell you can afford it), and a hug and kind words get me a lot more sympathetic to you than 'Any empaths availiable to heal me?', no tip, and scarcely a word spoken TO me.

>>You're right in one thing: Most Empaths suck at what they do. It makes me wince every time I see an Empath beyond 5th circle talking about overhealing like it's the inevitable consequence of being an Empath.<<

I've got to admit, I have rarely been more proud than the time that you complimented me about being a good empath in the cleric's guild.

It's unfortunate that the better I am at healing people, the less willing I am to heal people. It's people's choice for how they choose to act to the people that heal them. When I'm not playing my empath, I guarantee you that I treat empaths and clerics with respect until they prove worthy otherwise.
Re: Empath Ethics? 11/18/2005 10:41 AM CST
>>I heal you long time. Heal you gud. Make forget herbs. Long time! ~ Purehand

Hahahah! Damn you!! Now how do you get coffee out of a keyboard? :-D

--
Ranger Hanryu _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _, Sword of House Calibanor
(Don't drink and post, kids)
Prev_page Previous 1 3