Question re. an Overheard Gweth Conversation... 01/14/2004 05:14 AM CST
[EmpathX] "any empaths around willing to teach me to Manipulate?"
[Non-Empath] "You may wish to keep that request far quieter, EmpathX, as in a whisper to a empath you trust."
[AnotherEmpath] "Why do you say that, Non-Empath?"
[EmpathX] "Why? the gods approved it's discussion in the town forum. many months ago in fact."

Greetings, all!

The above was heard on the gweth tonight, and it got me wondering...

My questions is this....is shifting or anything 'related' to it (as in manipulation, asking if any empath is available to 'change my eye color', etc) still considered "wrong" by most in the empath guild? Or still immoral, illegal, whatever--to talk about in a public setting, and not in whispers?

Want to know for RP reasons, as well as for later reasons when I can afford the shifts I want to eventually get! (Don't want to be running into the empath guild and requesting something outloud or to an empath that I don't know well that will offend the empaths there!)

Thanks much.
Re: Question re. an Overheard Gweth Conversation... 01/14/2004 05:37 AM CST
I was involved, albeit a little, in that conversation. After speaking briefly with th empath she said that the non-empath was complaining about a skill that empaths use with mind-numbing repetitiveness. The non-empath person felt that it was bad rping. That argument aside....

The use of manipulation is not illegal, and I believe the only connection it has with shift was the timing of the releases. Feel free to correct me on that anyone. Manipulation is a guild sanctioned ability and there should be no problem discussing it in the open. I personally have discussed it in the presence of guild Hierarchy.

Shift is still illegal and has been since the days of the empire. To speak of it in the open has always been "a bad thing". However, I have never witnessed anything in the form of punishment or repercussion from mentioning it but, I would guess it is better to err on the side of discretion. Usually if someone mentions it on the gweths, or speaks of it, I try to politely remind them of the ability's status and ask them not to speak of it. Even so, there are some empaths and non-empaths who choose to ignore the guild ruling on this matter and continue to openly discuss shifting.

Mendorin Sythariensalos
Re: Question re. an Overheard Gweth Conversation... 01/14/2004 06:01 AM CST

Yeah..where someone would get that Manipulate was a game secret is beyond me.

In the game..the near demi-god chicky gave it to us, she wanted us to go forth and spread the knowledge.

The GM's just didn't want us giving away hard numbers and things like that on the boards.

Talking about it in the game was always fine, though.

And now, even the boards are opened up to hard information.

Yep, Manipulate = completely Guild supported ability.

Unlike Link...where the Guild Elders locked up a guy to prevent information leaking.

Such a compassionate Guild!

Tee hee.

Regards,
player of Syrath

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
www.stone-clan.com
Re: Question re. an Overheard Gweth Conversation... 01/14/2004 08:08 AM CST
Ah, thanks for the replys, all!

That conversation on the gweth confused me, too...thanks for help clearing that up!
Re: Question re. an Overheard Gweth Conversation... 01/14/2004 11:23 AM CST
Manipulate is open for discussion and teaching, in game or out.

Shift is open for discussion on the boards. In game, the request was made during the introduction of the ability that those who chose to use the ability be discreet about it (chat with those who were around for that event to get the full scoop on the whys of this). Since the ability was released, some have been very conscious of the request made of them, and some have chosen not to be. There weren't any repercussions implemented with the release of the ability, so violations haven't been enforced much, even though we are aware of them. It's not fair to do so without a policy/guideline in place, even in an IC manner.

That having been said, know that we are working on something that will directly impact this. Information on this something will be provided in both an IC manner (via events and RP), and an OOC manner (posts to the boards when the time comes). Stay tuned.

GM Reexa

Re: Question re. an Overheard Gweth Conversation... 01/14/2004 08:37 PM CST
<<That having been said, know that we are working on something that will directly impact this. Information on this something will be provided in both an IC manner (via events and RP), and an OOC manner (posts to the boards when the time comes). Stay tuned.>>

At least you didn't say soon, Reexa. I know that you GMs are working hard. The word "Soon" just provokes a now ingrained response in which I start twitching and my roommate has to tranq me ;)

Atha
Re: Question re. an Overheard Gweth Conversation... 01/15/2004 08:24 AM CST
<<At least you didn't say soon, Reexa. I know that you GMs are working hard. The word "Soon" just provokes a now ingrained response in which I start twitching and my roommate has to tranq me ;)>>

soon. SOON SOOON SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

:::cackles madly and dances over the twitching form of Atha:::

No, but seriously. I meant soon.

GM Reexa

Re: Question re. an Overheard Gweth Conversation... 01/15/2004 08:43 AM CST
>><<At least you didn't say soon, Reexa. I know that you GMs are working hard. The word "Soon" just provokes a now >>ingrained response in which I start twitching and my roommate has to tranq me ;)>>
>>
>>soon. SOON SOOON SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!
>>
>>:::cackles madly and dances over the twitching form of Atha:::

Do you get shock for that?
::smiles::

Rogtos - The fast and (not so) cheep empath

Love is a chemical imbalance and life is a sexually transmitted disease.
Re: Question re. an Overheard Gweth Conversation... 01/15/2004 08:50 AM CST
<<Do you get shock for that?>>

No, it's kind of like manipulate in that respect. I only said the word, Atha is the one who reacted to it.

GM Reexa

Re: Question re. an Overheard Gweth Conversation... 01/15/2004 03:40 PM CST
>>No, it's kind of like manipulate in that respect. I only said the word, Atha is the one who reacted to it.

We get shocked for missing. So you'd get shock for intentionally evoking a twitch in Atha (intentional in that you immediately responded with a humorously spiteful action to her revelation), right?
Re: Question re. an Overheard Gweth Conversation... 01/15/2004 03:48 PM CST
<<soon. SOON SOOON SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!
:::cackles madly and dances over the twitching form of Atha:::
No, but seriously. I meant soon.>>

::Twitches. Over and over and over again::

(three hours later)

Sorry. My roommate had to tranquilize me and shove me into my bunk bed.

Oh. And Annael spoke to me. She says that she wants to see you. Something about "deliberately inflicting suffering upon an Empath".

::snicker::

Atha
Re: Question re. an Overheard Gweth Conversation... 01/15/2004 04:14 PM CST
<<Annael spoke to me. She says that she wants to see you. Something about "deliberately inflicting suffering upon an Empath".>>

What, she's looking for pointers? Just goes to show, no matter how big you might be, there's always room for improvement.
Re: Question re. an Overheard Gweth Conversation... 01/15/2004 04:32 PM CST
<<What, she's looking for pointers? Just goes to show, no matter how big you might be, there's always room for improvement.>>

Ha!

I was almost sad when I heard that she stopped stabbing new Empaths -- that was a warning, people! I might have been foolish enough to disregard that act of violence and circle to 2nd anyway, but those intelligent enough to properly take note of her madness deserve the chance to get away.

And I'm sure the change gave her the opportunity to redirect her efforts into inflicting emotional suffering on the fools who stuck around. :(

Look at poor Vinny, for Hodierna's sake.

~Laril
Re: Question re. an Overheard Gweth Conversation... 01/30/2004 06:41 AM CST
(Re the overt use of Shift.)

>That having been said, know that we are working on something that will directly impact this. Information on this something will be provided in both an IC manner (via events and RP), and an OOC manner (posts to the boards when the time comes). Stay tuned.

>GM Reexa

Thank you for investing time, energy, and creativity into something meaningful, useful, and desireable. It is apodeictic that this is just the development the members of the guild desire, and they could not be more pleased with the wisdom of the powers that be. Since I'm in a helpful mood, how about this penalty be a RL year's worth of shock, a hundred, fifty platinum Kronar fine, and a kick in the groin?

Love,

Father Ainandil

A group of INTJs is an argument.

"Chemicals wear me down in your summertime Bacchanalian." -- Stephan Jenkins
Re: Question re. an Overheard Gweth Conversation... 01/30/2004 06:47 AM CST
(Re the overt use of Shift.)

>That having been said, know that we are working on something that will directly impact this. Information on this something will be provided in both an IC manner (via events and RP), and an OOC manner (posts to the boards when the time comes). Stay tuned.

>GM Reexa

>Thank you for investing time, energy, and creativity into something meaningful, useful, and desireable. It is apodeictic that this is just the development the members of the guild desire, and they could not be more pleased with the wisdom of the powers that be. Since I'm in a helpful mood, how about this penalty be a RL year's worth of shock, a hundred, fifty platinum Kronar fine, and a kick in the groin?

>Love,

>Father Ainandil

Sigh.

I'll troll with greater subtlety next time, I promise, kids. Sorry. The post on the Holy Magic board was much better, I'll be the first to admit.

By the way, you can transfer disease with seventy-five ranks of Transference, possibly seventy, but definitely seventy-five. Expect it to take half an hour.

Father Ainandil

A group of INTJs is an argument.

"Chemicals wear me down in your summertime Bacchanalian." -- Stephan Jenkins
Re: Question re. an Overheard Gweth Conversation... 01/30/2004 09:52 PM CST
>>>By the way, you can transfer disease with seventy-five ranks of Transference, possibly seventy, but definitely seventy-five. Expect it to take half an hour.

Trust me, those of us with younger characters already know this one. When I first discovered I could take disease, my first patient took about an hour and, in the end, killed me. Which was a good thing, as I didn't even have CD at the time. (I know. Dumb move.) And yes, it was at around 75 in Trans/Empathy.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled ethics lesson. Whenever that happens, let me know. It's been missing around here recently.

Amagaim: the player of,

Insanity not required
We provide training.

-SGD Danalae T'Aliesan