Old Wounds 09/21/2010 03:35 AM CDT
I figure this has been asked before, but I've never seen it answered (most likely a failure on my part):

Why do people like Sir Robyn or the blind beggar exist? Why do their wounds persist in an age of empaths.

I can think of only three reasons:
1) Wounds older than some unknown age are no longer repairable by standard empathy.
2) They are considered to be slightly more important than, but still part of, the majority of faceless millions who cannot afford Empathic healing.
3) They're left over from the early days of the game and no one really thought about it. (I suspect this one, with maybe a dash of 1 or 2 as the updated reason).

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi, Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Old Wounds 09/21/2010 04:33 AM CDT
4) they don't want their wounds healed

--
If life doesn't need intelligence,
Then why should intelligence need life?
--
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Legeres
http://www.myspace.com/ledge_ear_us
http://legeres.deviantart.com
Re: Old Wounds 09/21/2010 10:45 AM CDT
If you look at Father Karjon in Tiger Clan, you'll see that he has some rather nasty scars too. I think he keeps them as reminders of why he guards the church and surrounds.

As for Sir Robyn and the Blind Beggar, they are extremely old NPCs. Perhaps there could be a mini-event or two to find out why they still have wounds?

Ryeka and the Brood

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Old Wounds 09/21/2010 10:54 AM CDT
I think it's also been stated before that some wounds (don't remember if there were specifics given) absolutely can't be healed by empaths, so that's an option too.
__
AIM: Ysselt
Re: Old Wounds 09/21/2010 05:31 PM CDT
Sebastienne Dane was wounded by that thing in the Red Jackal (umm am I recalling this right)... Dungeon, and it hasn't been able to be healed, its more of a look, then a true wound (but isn't that what the NPCs are mechanically).

So wounds that were made from something nastily, weren't healed in time...

And now that I am thinking about this, there was a Post somewhere by a red name some time ago, discussing this (but where oh where was that post).
Re: Old Wounds 09/23/2010 08:15 PM CDT
You just need to wave your hands, and it all makes sense.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/08/2011 04:28 PM CDT
The last post was 9/23/10, by JMF90, which followed oddly enough one of my own posts on 9/21/10. So just about a year ago this folder was used, hopefully I can revive it. Stat, revive, get this place alive!

I was getting into my empath recently, and trying to well figure out what is cool for an empath. Would a book be cool, a scroll, herbs, what is it that would be...

Let me try this a different way, most thieves would drool over an epic drop Stiletto [boy I would like a Whisper Thin Stiletto], but trying to get into my empath and really get a feel for what an awesome epic drop would be for her is another thing.

Their lore primary, but what does this mean, there are several guilds that are lore primary. There are a few that are Survival Primary, and they have a good deal of difference between each of them?

Planly I am just at a loss, I am trying to identify with what an empath should think is great, and I don't want to just go with oh, let them have their fluff (sure some like that, but I don't think its dynamically an Empath).

Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/08/2011 05:06 PM CDT
Empaths are a pretty diverse lot, so you'll probably get a wide variety of answers to something like that. Sticking to the subject of epic loot, I would have liked to see some armor and other defensive items, plus some useful magical devices. I'm not sure offhand what a "useful magical device" might do, except the obvious "something useful". I almost considered for half a moment getting the parry stick at the end of the dagger quest, but I wasn't about to take a chance on something that can't be appraised before being selected...I'd guess there's a nearly 100% chance it appraises the same as all other parry sticks anyway.

As for the lore primary thing, I'm also at a loss on that one. I guess there could be some sort of crafting related items that would be neat, but lore isn't just crafting. The problem is, there's not really anything other than crafting for lore right now, and even that's not complete yet. It's hard to put much stock in an identity driven by the lore skillset when it doesn't do much of anything. Anything academic is covered by Scholarship after the skill reorganization, but that pretty much just means the teaching system, which isn't at all interesting. Appraisal has something of a niche I guess, but it's not exactly something one would use as a point of identity (and an annoyingly large percentage of the things that rely on appraisal also take other skills into account). So that basically leaves Empathy, which also doesn't do much and doesn't involve items, but at least it seems like a sensible thing for Empaths to be using to derive their identity. Tactics seems like a strong choice for something that a combat-focused Empath could use to establish an identity, but then we come back to the diversity of the guild rendering that skill meaningless for a probably-not-insignificant percentage of members. There may or may not even be items involved in Tactics, anyway.

So...yeah, I'm not sure either :/

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor, who hopes that Life is actually Sustainable in Combat 3.0
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/08/2011 06:19 PM CDT
Thanks Karthor,

Despite the ending of 'So...yeah, I'm not sure either :/'

I feel like this actually helped identify a bit more then the real void I was feeling, not that it was totally awesome, and oh yes thats a straight direction.

Heck, you talk to twenty thieves, and you should get twenty different views, even if their all thiefly.

This is to say, I wasn't hoping for a CLEAR and PRESENT this is IT. I was hoping for something that gave me a little, ahh alright, that's what I'm missing, sure I'll go this way.

So next question, if you are an empath player, or have an empath character what would be your ahh, now that's an empathicy (SP?) epic drop?

For me I'm feeling like some type of magical semi-multi functional armor, maybe it's all time absorption, reduction of blows, but if you rub it, it can make some sort of magical bubble shield, or you tap it, and it sends an earth shaking crack to the ground? (We're talking epic here, so epic style defenses).

Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/08/2011 06:30 PM CDT
>>So next question, if you are an empath player, or have an empath character what would be your ahh, now that's an empathicy (SP?) epic drop?

A big metal helmet that enhances empathy to supernatural levels, and then you can reach out with your empathy and KILL SOMEONE WITH THE POWER OF YOUR MIND.
Malkien
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/08/2011 08:52 PM CDT
Malkien,

Where did that part of your signature go about your posts being 50% sarcastic, or rude, or snarky or what not go?

Unless something has changed killing is about as unempathic as it gets, just because it ruins the link, nothing to do with moral, or being good, or anything, just not empathic.
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/08/2011 10:36 PM CDT
>>Unless something has changed killing is about as unempathic as it gets, just because it ruins the link, nothing to do with moral, or being good, or anything, just not empathic.

It was still sarcastic.

Sadly, I can't think of any armor or weapons that are particularly "empathic." Your suggestions sound a lot like armor which functions like SoP, or like the various healing spells, which were I an Empath would make them somewhat redundant to me.

An Empath shield that could be invoked to auto-calm creatures in combat with you for a short period of time... now that would be annoying and useful.

Malkien
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/08/2011 11:17 PM CDT
For Lyathe, besides green cambrinth armor... her epic thing would be spells that actually work and abilities that actually teach. The change to empathy learning was a huge step in this direction. Having our skills that actually require quests and lots of dedication to develop, like shift, actually teach appropriate to the difficulity of the task being done and skill involved to get it would be awesome.
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/09/2011 12:00 AM CDT
>>So next question, if you are an empath player, or have an empath character what would be your ahh, now that's an empathicy (SP?) epic drop?

The things I think of for Empath epic drops:

1) Invulnerability bubble. You can't attack, they can't attack you -- or they simply act as if you aren't there. I realize that Innocence and GS fulfill this role but an item that took care of this similarly or just a little better -- with a higher level of consistency and less need for mana -- would be pretty neat.

2) Enhanced link. Link from a distance, perhaps, or have more control over how big the bonus is (or the range is boosted to the high end). Possibly the ability to create a link functioning something like Seer's Sense (keep tabs on a target from a distance). I feel like these should come with skill, but if not, an item would be cool.

3) Enhanced casting ability when wounded. (Maybe for healing spells only.)

4) Protection from overhealing. Something that gave you a warning when this was about to happen, or automatically stopped the process.

5) Weapons that work especially well vs. constructs.

6) Crafting tools you can link to to give a skill bonus.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/09/2011 01:22 AM CDT
A wound sink. Basically a magic device that you could tap to a body part and it would suck up all the damage.

Has a limited capacity, and you'd later have to link to it and pull the wounds back out to be healed.

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Combat Balance List:
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/balance2.xls
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/09/2011 03:22 AM CDT
>>So next question, if you are an empath player, or have an empath character what would be your ahh, now that's an empathicy (SP?) epic drop?<<

Some special trinket that would let me decide what my Guardian Spirit would look like, and name it.

Think Altered GS. How amazing would that be?

~Villya
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/09/2011 08:29 AM CDT
>>Some special trinket that would let me decide what my Guardian Spirit would look like, and name it.

Actually...

I'm surprised this hasn't been done yet.
Malkien
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/09/2011 04:13 PM CDT
I'm glad I asked this some of these are really cool, I don't think mine did a proper task of being truly epic, but didn't want to go over the top either. And was just testing the waters.

The G.S. Alteration, now that be a neat thing for an auction item, or at least for an alterer to come to a paid festival. I'm going to think some more and see if I can't come up with anything else.

Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/09/2011 04:29 PM CDT
>>I'm surprised this hasn't been done yet.<<

I'm not surprised it hasn't been done. A few years ago the idea was brought up, and was shot done since GS are just "helpers" or some stuff and they could not be just conformed to us. I don't even remember at this time the full story.

~Villya
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/09/2011 05:20 PM CDT
>>GS Alterations

Part of the thing with them, I think, is that it isn't a specific alfar that comes around each time, and they're sentient, willful, individual beings who might not be keen of having their appearances changed. We'll have to see what the GS code looks like after the rewrite. I'm not adverse to the idea if the code will support it without gymnastics, a decent lore reason can be dug up, and the Powers will approve the idea. Those are kinda big ifs though. I am not the one writing the GS code so I can't really predict exactly how it will fall out.

I like the idea, and I am reading this thread with interest.

I know anatomy charts get boring. I'd definitely like to see some cool Empath-geared quest and auction prizes. It might be a bit late for HE this year (somewhat due to my move) but there is always Chris' Mass, guildfest, quest prizes, and so on and so forth.

Melete
[Turmis] I'm about to shoot beards in the face
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/09/2011 05:40 PM CDT
>>Some special trinket that would let me decide what my Guardian Spirit would look like, and name it.<<

Guardian Spirits already have names when they're summoned, at least Alfar Avengers do. That's the only kind of GS I use.

Being able to equip a GS with limited storage capacity would be nice. Even though my empath is my primary character, I don't get a big charge out of fluff or items. Functional is what I look for, not fancy, fluffy, or otherwise. So there's nothing out there that is a "must have" empathic item for me. I'm kinda boring that way.

________________________________________________________________________________

We've decided that instead of spells Paladins will be a new arm of the Bard guild utilizing interpretive dance moves.

~GM Zeyurn
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/09/2011 06:48 PM CDT
>>Part of the thing with them, I think, is that it isn't a specific alfar that comes around each time, and they're sentient, willful, individual beings who might not be keen of having their >>appearances changed. We'll have to see what the GS code looks like after the rewrite. I'm not adverse to the idea if the code will support it without gymnastics, a decent lore reason can be >>dug up, and the Powers will approve the idea. Those are kinda big ifs though. I am not the one writing the GS code so I can't really predict exactly how it will fall out.

In terms of lore reasoning - if you created a unique guardian that looks how you want, is the race you want, etc, it could be something that you quest for or something that has lore that looks something like this: You went to the home of those sentient beings or met one in the streets somehow. Regardless, you befriended this particular guardian who now, whenever they hear your call, are certain to come running to your defense/aid. So, the reason they are there is BECAUSE they are sentient and willful. They bump away anyone who might want to try to respond instead of them, because they love their friend that much. Perhaps your charisma determines how consistently your custom GS shows up, at least up to relatively low levels of charisma? How good of a friend you really were, how loveable you were, would both be related to charisma.

Needless to say, I think this is an awesome idea.

In terms of other items I might want to see that are "Now THAT is what being an empath is all about..." Cambrinth armor comes to mind, because it is defensive and also works with our magic casting in combat. Or a cambrinth parry stick that isn't very impeded by the cambrinth aspect of it (I've been told many cambrinth combat items are weak because of the cambrinth). I think an item that lets you sense someone's wounds (and perhaps heal them) from a distance with enough skill would be great, but since touch is required for healing, I'm not sure how this would work lore-wise.

I know, not as helpful, but I do really like the idea of a "custom" guardian spirit (or a set of custom guardian spirits, as you'd only have befriended one "type.")

~Player of ChelmorAes
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/09/2011 06:55 PM CDT
I don't know if this would be off the charts, or just right in there at epic.

I'm feeling though that some type of mystical device that somehow extends the aura of the empath, so that they can touch things from range would be a cool epic item.

Not that I'm against this, just seems like something that is well, cool but, well it doesn't have that tint of awesome to me, maybe it just needs to be written up so that it sounds cooler.

Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/09/2011 08:33 PM CDT
>>Part of the thing with them, I think, is that it isn't a specific alfar that comes around each time, and they're sentient, willful, individual beings who might not be keen of having their appearances changed. We'll have to see what the GS code looks like after the rewrite. I'm not adverse to the idea if the code will support it without gymnastics, a decent lore reason can be dug up, and the Powers will approve the idea. Those are kinda big ifs though. I am not the one writing the GS code so I can't really predict exactly how it will fall out.

A Warrior Mage's familiar, which is a sentient creature from the plane of aether (IIRC), doesn't mind having the color of its fur changed, but a guardian spirit's above that nonsense, eh?
Malkien
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/09/2011 08:57 PM CDT
I agree I really love the idea of a specific look for a guardian spirit.

I think something else that would be really neat would be a item that while you were wearing it would let you teach classes in combat that you could normally only teach when not in combat.

Meadbh
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/09/2011 11:41 PM CDT
>>A Warrior Mage's familiar, which is a sentient creature from the plane of aether (IIRC), doesn't mind having the color of its fur changed, but a guardian spirit's above that nonsense, eh?

Yes, basically. The lore surrounding the two is completely different.

But as I said, that's not to say there isn't some lore way to make it work, just that such a way would be needed for anything like that to be implemented.

Melete
[Turmis] I'm about to shoot beards in the face
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/09/2011 11:57 PM CDT
I would also like to take tie time and say, I would like to see more HP and weapon options available for us during feastivals and quests.

Cambrinth armor also sounds pretty nice.

~Villya
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/10/2011 12:51 AM CDT
I'd love to see a wound hider. Works just like all the other hider items but hides your wounds from the public.

Even better, I'd love it to be a wearable voodoo doll that showed what your wounds really were when you LOOKed at it.

e.g.
<LOOK DOLL
The doll has minor abrasions across the chest and is bleeding lightly from it's right hand.

Another item I'd like to see is a voucher for a custom shift option. Whether it be for a predetermined special hair color, face shape, build type, etc or one that the owner customizes on his/her own with the GMs, I'd like there to be a way for there to be a limited number of empaths who could shift to that option.

Nikpack
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/10/2011 01:33 AM CDT
<<Even better, I'd love it to be a wearable voodoo doll that showed what your wounds really were when you LOOKed at it.

Even better... a voodoo doll that you can attune to a person and it shows THEIR wounds. And with enough skill you can heal them via the voodoo doll proxy at a distance. More skill is required the farther away the subject moves away from the voodoo doll. But whatever you do, don't let a necromancer get a hold of it...

-Evran

Moongate, Ressurection, and Fire Rain, Oh my!
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/10/2011 01:13 PM CDT
>>A Warrior Mage's familiar, which is a sentient creature from the plane of aether (IIRC), doesn't mind having the color of its fur changed, but a guardian spirit's above that nonsense, eh?

Warrior Mage's familiars are no longer sentient. They've been retconned and are now manifestations of the caster's will. They may develop their own sentience, but they don't start with any. Which makes the limitations on their appearance a bit less logical.
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/10/2011 02:46 PM CDT
>>Warrior Mage's familiars are no longer sentient. They've been retconned and are now manifestations of the caster's will. They may develop their own sentience, but they don't start with any. Which makes the limitations on their appearance a bit less logical.

I'm not sure it's totally right to say they're no longer sentient from the start...

From my understanding, the current [retconned] lore is that it can't hurt to think of them as AI, but at the same time everyone should feel free to ponder if familiars dream of aether sheep.
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/11/2011 03:16 AM CDT
Familiars can swing either way, from aether-puppet to willful intelligence. The default assumption is they sort of pick up a personality over time. Think the Doctor from Voyager or Death from Discworld and you're about there.
Guardian Spirits are willful, sentient creatures.
Shadow creatures are sentient, but are not willful in the way humans understand it.
Risen can have any sort of mental functioning, but are willful by default.

All of those forms except Risen are alive, even though familiars and Shadow creatures do not have what Elanthians would consider to be functional anatomy.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/11/2011 06:13 AM CDT
>Shadow creatures are sentient, but are not willful in the way humans understand it.

The cute fuzzy shadowlings that keep BITING ME would disagree with you.

Kaeta Airtag

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/11/2011 09:12 AM CDT
>>familiars and Shadow creatures do not have what Elanthians would consider to be functional anatomy.

I take that to mean this book would not be relevant in DR, then?

http://www.amazon.com/Everyone-Poops-My-Body-Science/dp/0916291456
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/11/2011 10:27 AM CDT
I want to altar my pet to a polka-dot Avenger and the lore shouldn't stop me, dangit.
Malkien
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/11/2011 10:36 AM CDT
i can see it now, having to form a bond with an alfar in order to get consent to shift her ;p
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 08/11/2011 11:48 AM CDT
>>The cute fuzzy shadowlings that keep BITING ME would disagree with you.

The Shadowling does not have free will, nor really does anything from the Plane of Probability. Its sentience is bound into its concept, and it cannot choose to be anything other than what it is (in contrast, Sartre famously opined that man is the creature who is what he is not yet).

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 09/19/2011 10:22 AM CDT
>>(in contrast, Sartre famously opined that man is the creature who is what he is not yet)
Armifer, out of curiosity, have you read the Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham?
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 09/19/2011 10:01 PM CDT
Hadn't heard of it until now.

-Armifer
Re: Freshen things up, and looking for some info. 09/20/2011 08:14 PM CDT
Based on your descriptions of the summoned creatures just there, you may REALLY enjoy the series. The 'magical' creatures are concepts bound to reality by poets, who in turn must forever hold the concept in mind or lose it forever, but in doing so, are able to control the concept as a God. The creatures, being ideas/abstracts bound to reality, want to return to their state of non-existence, and and the life of the poet is one of constantly battling their bound creations.

It's really a phenomenal series, and while I'm sure you get a billion and one book recommendations a day by the player base, the way you described pets just made me think of it.