An old title suggestion 08/13/2007 07:14 PM CDT
I still like that Fallen Empath title. Whoever suggested that.

~Not all things are meant to be.~
http://www.geocities.com/ladylani15/
Lanita
Re: An old title suggestion 08/15/2007 01:10 AM CDT
I would only support it for an empath under the new shock system who has recieved empathic shock to a degree that no longer allows support or forgiveness from the guild under any circumstances.
Re: An old title suggestion 08/15/2007 07:44 PM CDT
Agreed.

~Not all things are meant to be.~
Lanita
Re: An old title suggestion 08/16/2007 08:06 PM CDT
>> I would only support it for an empath under the new shock system who has recieved empathic shock to a degree that no longer allows support or forgiveness from the guild under any circumstances.

Shock isn't a guild issue.

Rev. Reene

[Jenealle] "What do you call a four-foot Moon Mage runnin' from the Town Guard?"
[Jenealle] "A small medium at large."
Re: An old title suggestion 08/16/2007 11:47 PM CDT
>Shock isn't a guild issue.

Ahh, good point.

-Desperado Clemency Apollonia, Journeyman Empath of Elanthia

>prod raccoon
It might be a bit safer if a young raccoon was dead first.

SEND[Reexa] :::whine::: go awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Re: An old title suggestion 08/17/2007 12:45 PM CDT
>> I would only support it for an empath under the new shock system who has recieved empathic shock to a degree that no longer allows support or forgiveness from the guild under any circumstances.

This condition does not exist, and I suspect never will. In other words, there will always be a procedure/quest to cure you of even the most severe shock.

It is something of a guild issue since if I recall correctly, you can't circle with shock. I could be wrong on that though.

~ Player of Farman et al.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Main_Page
Re: An old title suggestion 08/17/2007 12:59 PM CDT
You're right about not be able to circle Threephi. And shock certainly is a Guild issue. You can cast lower tier spells (EWH, ESH, IWH, ISH - don't have anything above that yet) while in shock and you can learn Empathy through classes and anatomy charts. Asbhuan isn't quite at the point of being able to Perc Health and I don't feel like shocking my Prime Empath to check that.

Asbhuan in Plat
Re: An old title suggestion 08/17/2007 11:31 PM CDT
You can't per health while shocked and when Shock gets rewritten you will probably lose your lower tier healing spells, eventually.

It really isn't a Guild issue. The guild or its leaders aren't the ones administering shock based on your actions.

A guildleader not letting you circle has nothing to do with it being a guild issue.

>prod raccoon

Re: An old title suggestion 08/18/2007 12:34 AM CDT
>> And shock certainly is a Guild issue.

The Empaths' Guild is a purely social construct, a political organization.

Empathy and abilities relating to Empathy are paranormal and/or supernatural.

While you must be an Empath to be in the Guild, you do not need to be in the Guild to be an Empath.

So no, shock is not really a Guild issue, insofar as it has no control over who gets it or how they get rid of it. While they may theoretically stop you from earning promotions if they sense your shock, that doesn't mean they can prevent you from going out and getting rid of it.

Rev. Reene

[Jenealle] "What do you call a four-foot Moon Mage runnin' from the Town Guard?"
[Jenealle] "A small medium at large."
Re: An old title suggestion 08/18/2007 06:12 PM CDT
>So no, shock is not really a Guild issue, insofar as it has no control over who gets it or how they get rid of it. While they may theoretically stop you from earning promotions if they sense your shock, that doesn't mean they can prevent you from going out and getting rid of it.

I agree with Reene :(

>prod raccoon

Re: An old title suggestion 08/18/2007 08:41 PM CDT
Maybe but the title "Fallen Empath _" was suggested for shock doused empaths. shrug
I just like how it sounds anyways.

~Shut up and sing already!~
Lanita
Re: An old title suggestion 08/20/2007 08:35 AM CDT
<<while in shock and you can learn Empathy through classes and anatomy charts>>

Can you actually get a link while in shock? When I've tried linking after sharing someone's shock, I get a cold sensation or something and I don't recall if I see the injuries or not.

Charts might work, but the learning there is pretty small, at least relatively since Empathy is so far ahead of scholarship and first aid.

PoKaeta

"Whatever, it's the end of the world. There's actually a Trader guild now. Bards are no longer useless. Empaths can finally stand up for themselves. We're all doomed."
- Vinjince
Re: An old title suggestion 08/20/2007 11:01 AM CDT
>Can you actually get a link while in shock? When I've tried linking after sharing someone's shock, I get a cold sensation or something and I don't recall if I see the injuries or not.

I'll try to get link learned on the current Asbhuan and let you know. I suspect the answer is negative though. I decided not to re-roll him again and just created various spelling versions to check some things as well as having mutliple Empaths spread across Elanthia. That way I don't need to rely on JJ to get around at a moments need given our small population and the fact that the right moon isn't always available.

Charts definitely work and yes, they are ponderously slow, even at low levels of Empathy.

Asbhuan in Plat
Re: An old title suggestion 08/20/2007 04:56 PM CDT
You can't link while shocked.

>prod raccoon

Re: An old title suggestion 08/20/2007 06:25 PM CDT
Correct Clem. I did confirm that you can be taught to link by another Empath and you can link to them if they initiate the link but you cannot be the link initiator.

Asbhuan
Re: An old title suggestion 08/20/2007 07:33 PM CDT
As long as you can accept a link from someone, then, you can learn Empathy while shocked.

Rev. Reene

Totenus says, "I am not Alfonso, quit throwing bacon at me."
Re: An old title suggestion 08/20/2007 08:48 PM CDT
>As long as you can accept a link from someone, then, you can learn Empathy while shocked.

Ah, that's true. Didn't think of that. Hmm...I could have sworn I tried learning Empathy while shocked though, and something about it wasn't working right. I don't really feel like getting shocked just to try it again, so maybe next time it happens, if it happens.

>prod raccoon

Re: An old title suggestion 08/20/2007 08:58 PM CDT
<<As long as you can accept a link from someone, then, you can learn Empathy while shocked.>>

I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion...I didn't think the recipient of a Link learned anything from it. To learn Empathy via teaching, it is the student who must form the Link, so that's out too. Were you referring to the miniscule amount of Empathy experience one would get from teaching it to someone else?

Thanks,
-Grand Master Empath Karthor
Re: An old title suggestion 08/20/2007 09:53 PM CDT
I'm not saying anymore until I can test it myself.

Rev. Reene

Totenus says, "I am not Alfonso, quit throwing bacon at me."
Re: An old title suggestion 08/21/2007 10:46 AM CDT
I'll try to chase down Sete or one of the other higher Empaths in Plat, but I seem to recall Sete's previous testing on teaching Empathy was that if the teacher initiated the link to a significantly lower circle Empath the teaching stopped after a short while due to the concentration issue whereas if the younger Empath initiated the link it could go on for quite a while. Since Asbhuan is still quite shocked (now over 6 hours IG after those casts) it should be an easy check to see if he can maintain the link for any length of time and learn some Empathy.

Asbhuan
Re: An old title suggestion 08/21/2007 01:19 PM CDT
>>Sete's previous testing on teaching Empathy was that if the teacher initiated the link to a significantly lower circle Empath the teaching stopped after a short while due to the concentration issue whereas if the younger Empath initiated the link it could go on for quite a while

In order for Sete to teach empathy, the younger Empath has to initiate the link asbhaun, Sete did teach a young Empath the first 20 ranks in Empathy, without the student getting exhausted, tanked concentration, or losing the Empathy link with Seteria. At 20 ranks the student went to circle to 5 then returned and could not maintain the Empathy Link with Seteria due to exhaustion, huge RT, and tanking concentration... We were going to try a follow-up test to see if Sete could teach over 20 ranks if the class was maintained without interruption, and if the class could be stopped and restarted if the student did not circle.

Got Body Parts?
Re: An old title suggestion 08/21/2007 03:10 PM CDT
Boy did I remember your post wrong. But I do have another Empath or four in the wings when you want to try that again.

Asbhuan et al
Re: An old title suggestion 08/21/2007 04:00 PM CDT
When empathy classes were first released, it actually was the case that over a large enough circle-spread (somewhere between 20-30 circles, I think, but all I tested with was a circle 30 and a circle 1) a younger empath just couldn't last long enough to learn anything. That got changed, umm, sometime last winter?, and now those affected by lack of concentration no longer have to worry about quickly losing the class.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html