empath title misspelled 01/26/2007 04:53 PM CST
Your title "compellor" is misspelled. the dictionary says there's no such word but suggested "compeller" which means:

com?pel /kəmˈpɛl/
?verb (used with object)
1. to force or drive, esp. to a course of action: His disregard of the rules compels us to dismiss him.
2. to secure or bring about by force.
3. to force to submit; subdue.
4. to overpower.
5. Archaic. to drive together; unite by force; herd.
?verb (used without object)
6. to use force.
7. to have a powerful and irresistible effect, influence, etc.

?Related forms
com?pel?la?ble, adjective
com?pel?la?bly, adverb
com?pel?lent, adjective
com?pel?ler, noun
com?pel?ling?ly, adverb

Druid Wheller Herbmaster, Con Artist of Elanthia

http://robertdell.dyndns.org/DR_Scripts/
click YASSE.dmg
http://sourceforge.net/projects/yasse/

P.S. no good deed goes un-punished!

When in doubt, reinvent the wheel!
Re: empath title misspelled 01/26/2007 06:07 PM CST
>com?pel /kəmˈpɛl/

/cry

-Durnil
Re: empath title misspelled 01/27/2007 02:41 PM CST
>Your title "compellor" is misspelled. the dictionary says there's no such word but suggested "compeller"

I disagree. Compellor might not be in dictionary but I like the emphasis of the suffix "-or" to designate that the word refers to a sentient actor, as opposed to "-er" which could refer to an inanimate object.

>-or

>Function: noun suffix
>Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French -ur, -our, -eour & Latin -or; Anglo-French -ur, -our, from Latin -or; Anglo-French -eour, from Latin -ator, from -a-, verb stem + -tor, agent suffix; akin to Greek -tOr, agent suffix, Sanskrit -tA

>: one that does a (specified) thing <grantor>
Re: empath title misspelled 01/27/2007 03:26 PM CST
I like Compellor better for the aforementioned reasons.

~Purehand
Re: empath title misspelled 01/27/2007 03:36 PM CST
How do you explain away Barber threephi? Like it or not we do have to follow the rules of the english language, and I'm fairly sure I remember being taught one or two governing the use of -er, -or, and -ir. ;)

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: empath title misspelled 01/27/2007 04:27 PM CST
>How do you explain away Barber threephi? Like it or not we do have to follow the rules of the english language, and I'm fairly sure I remember being taught one or two governing the use of -er, -or, and -ir. ;)

I don't purport, or intend, to explain it away in the slightest. Did I imply that -er can never be used in a title? My point was only that sometimes it is permissible or even preferable to use -or. "Barber" is a very old and firmly established English word with a highly familiar usage when referring to a sentient actor.

Compellor/Compeller has no common RL usage in the way we are talking about, therefore there is a certain amount of license in how it can be spelled. The rules of English usage permit flexibility when coining new terms. I take the title 'Compellor' to be a new word, meaning 'he/she who compels'.

Additionally the root 'compel' is from the Latin so the -or suffix is appropriate. cf Ameliorator and Counselor.
Re: empath title misspelled 01/27/2007 08:32 PM CST
>-or .... Function: noun suffix

>How do you explain away Barber

Barber isn't derived from the english verb 'barb' so it really wouldn't make sense to compare Barb, Barber and Barbor to Compel, Compeller and Compellor anyway. I agree with Farman's analysis of the appropriate use of -or in this instance. Also I feel 'Compellor' carries a little more gravitas.

This discussion is so lame.

~Purehand
Re: empath title misspelled 01/29/2007 04:47 PM CST
<Barber isn't derived from the english verb 'barb' so it really wouldn't make sense to compare Barb, Barber and Barbor to Compel, Compeller and Compellor anyway. I agree with Farman's analysis of the appropriate use of -or in this instance. Also I feel 'Compellor' carries a little more gravitas.

This discussion is so lame.>

convince webster to include "compellor" as an appropiate spelling of the word and i'll agree with you, otherwise, this IS an english spelled game.

Druid Wheller Herbmaster, Con Artist of Elanthia

http://robertdell.dyndns.org/DR_Scripts/
click YASSE.dmg
http://sourceforge.net/projects/yasse/

P.S. no good deed goes un-punished!

When in doubt, reinvent the wheel!
Re: empath title misspelled 01/29/2007 05:45 PM CST
>convince webster to include "compellor"

Perhaps I should convince them to include 'compeller' too, as it is omitted in the current unabridged version.

Fortunately language is not as linear as a merriam-webster.

~Purehand
Re: empath title misspelled 01/30/2007 04:45 AM CST
<<convince webster to include "compellor" as an appropiate spelling of the word and i'll agree with you, otherwise, this IS an english spelled game.>>

I personally think this is just being narrow on putting a maximum on what can be used in a fantasy game. Lots of titles aren't in English unless, I'm in the twilight zone and elves really do exist.

The Dragon priest hisses, "We'd have won, too, if it weren't for thossse meddling kidsss."
>
Re: empath title misspelled 01/30/2007 03:25 PM CST
>convince webster to include "compellor" as an appropiate spelling of the word and i'll agree with you, otherwise, this IS an english spelled game.

Point #1: Show me where heartlink (one word), Kaith Partani, jadice, yelith, cebi, or gwethdesuan appear in the dictionary and it's a deal.

Point #2: Dictionary /= Language. Language is a living, fluid, evolving thing which changes over time. A dictionary is only a snapshot of that organism, not the organism itself. New words come into common (and correct) usage constantly, just as old words drop out of the lexicon.
Re: empath title misspelled 01/30/2007 03:28 PM CST
this is still a stupid discussion

~Arwinia

Your mind hears Netherlich thinking "Actually i was asking to buy....movin up to 50Pk for Limb Disruption and 40 for Blackfire."
Re: empath title misspelled 01/30/2007 03:57 PM CST
STOP FARMAN

~Arwinia

Your mind hears Netherlich thinking "Actually i was asking to buy....movin up to 50Pk for Limb Disruption and 40 for Blackfire."
Re: empath title misspelled 01/30/2007 03:59 PM CST
gah... mobile browser trouble, deleting repeats.

Yeah I agree it's kind of stupid, but I paid for a ten minute argument and that's only been three minutes!
Re: empath title misspelled 01/30/2007 04:17 PM CST
>>(in RL) elves really do exist.

Elf is not a strictly fantasy-based word. They exist in the scientific world as well, and are closely related to sprites. Sprites also exist in the digital world, but are just as unrelated to the scientific version as they are to the fantasy version.

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: empath title misspelled 01/30/2007 07:34 PM CST
Compellor is fine as it is. It will be staying as it is.

-GM Obseden
"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven."
"Anything's possible. Especially since I'm rewriting the system."