Link Potency 12/21/2016 08:17 PM CST
In light of the recent update to EXP MODS, I've noticed that the Link ability seems to be woefully weak even when conditions are favorable. I had an opportunity to form a couple of Scholarship links. The first one gave me about a 6% boost (+41 ranks), and adding a second one brought it up to about an 11% boost (+75 ranks). I don't know how skilled the first recipient was, but the second one had somewhere around 138% as much Scholarship as I do (277ish more ranks than me). I would expect that the second person alone should have been producing a larger boost, but even with the two of them combined it wasn't even close to a standard-strength boost. I should mention that I'm not sure whether the second Link added to the first or replaced it with a more potent one; I didn't try dropping the first Link after the second was established.

I know the ability is three days older than the game itself, but it seems like it really needs to be improved if it's intended to be useful. I just figured I'd mention it since it's actually possible to tell now.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Link Potency 01/01/2017 10:31 PM CST
If I remember right, how much Link boosts a skill is random with RT being a "tell" of how strong of a boost it is. It's been a very very very long time since I played with it.

With just the numbers you posted it almost looks like you have a 6%ish boost on the first link then a 5%ish boost on the second. I bet you get another 4%ish boost on the third link taking you to 15 over all. It would take linking to 5 people to hit 20% if the pattern is true.

OR

So this is kind of interesting. If the first and second link added together and it added 12%ish of difference between your ranks. If it's a bit random I'd bet you could swing between 10% - 15% of the difference or more!

OR

It gave you 3%ish of his TOTAL ranks. Again with the random bit I'd say it could swing between 1% - 5%

You'd need to do a bunch more links with solid numbers before we can figure out exactly how it works.

But, all that said, as far as making the ability better...I don't think that's on anyone's to-do list. The thing is Link is either going to be kinda useless or super op. There is not a lot of wiggle room with how it currently works. Only one other guild can boost every skill in the game. Prediction takes some work to build up a decent sized pool(outside of luckstones) and comes with the chance of cursing the skill. Empaths just need a warm body in the room. It costs nothing really. Honestly with all the other things Empathy allows for I'm kind of surprised Link is even still around.

P.S. I wonder what happens if you link to a guild only skill like trading or scouting. You probably can't link to skills that you don't have...But if you can I wonder what happens if you try to link to Thano.