shock questions 06/30/2015 05:12 PM CDT
Howdy,

I've tried scouring the forums and reading Elanthipedia, but still have some questions. I'm coming back to Empaths after a very long break, and am not sure from posts/epedia what is currently the case (many posts seem out of date).

If you are permashocked, can you hunt normally without incurring stuns? i.e., if I wanted to train weapons for a bit and foresake healing, is that feasible?

If you are permashocked, are you completely locked out of learning Empathy by any means? (I'm assuming yes, but it's been awhile).

Can you actually just circle/learn Empathy from hunting alone? I've only dabbled in the field, but manipulate never seemed to be feasible as a means of training. Any tips?

Thanks,
Not GENT
Re: shock questions 06/30/2015 06:00 PM CDT
>>Slhubbard: I'm coming back to Empaths after a very long break, and am not sure from posts/epedia what is currently the case (many posts seem out of date).

To catch up on Empaths, see the Empath new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_new_player_guide

The shock article is current: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empathic_Shock

Shock is no longer a binary (on/off) system. Instead, your empathic sensitivity is a range, from 100% (not shocked at all) to 0% (the state we call "permashock"). According to GM Melete, a "permashocked empath is just an empath who has violently crushed his empathy out of existence and turned himself into a normal person."

Ramifications of complete insensitivity:
• You no longer experience empathic shock from causing harm, allowing you to hunt any creature.
• You can no longer use most empathy-dependent abilities: healing others, link, perceive health, manipulate, shift, Fountain of Creation, Gift of Life, Guardian Spirit, Heart Link, Innocence, and Regenerate.
• For playability reasons, a shocked Empath can still use the following empathy-dependent spells, though not as effectively: Cure Disease, Flush Poisons, Heal Scars, Heal Wounds, Heal, and Vitality Healing.
• You cannot teach or listen to empathy classes.

>>Slhubbard: If you are permashocked, can you hunt normally without incurring stuns? i.e., if I wanted to train weapons for a bit and foresake healing, is that feasible?

Yes, but keep in mind that with constructs and Absolution (the spell that allows you to hunt the undead), you no longer really need to go this route.

See https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empath_hunting_ladder

>>Slhubbard: If you are permashocked, are you completely locked out of learning Empathy by any means? (I'm assuming yes, but it's been awhile).

All of the best ways to train empathy are unavailable, so you won't be making much progress with empathy during permashock. (You can still get a token amount of empathy experience from compendiums.)

>>Slhubbard: Can you actually just circle/learn Empathy from hunting alone? I've only dabbled in the field, but manipulate never seemed to be feasible as a means of training. Any tips?

Yes. Once you're able to manipulate (learn from a PC Empath at 50 ranks), it is a moderately effective way to train empathy (less experience than healing but more than health-walking). There is a catch, however: the creature must pose a challenge to your empathy. (That is, your empathy cannot grossly exceed the combats of what you're hunting.) The range is generous but not infinite.

"Empathy doesn't make people nice." --GM Armifer

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: shock questions 06/30/2015 06:22 PM CDT

>Yes. Once you're able to manipulate (learn from a PC Empath at 50 ranks), it is a moderately effective way to train empathy (less experience than healing but more than health-walking). There is a catch, however: the creature must pose a challenge to your empathy. (That is, your empathy cannot grossly exceed the combats of what you're hunting.) The range is generous but not infinite.

Just want to second this - hunting is my Empaths principal method of earning Empathy. Healing works faster, of course, but patients are not a reliable source.

The range is EXTREMELY generous. With ~430 ranks of Empathy, baby gryphons are starting to slow down.
Re: shock questions 06/30/2015 06:52 PM CDT
+1 Manipulate teaches great.

Also keep in mind it's 50 effective ranks to learn manipulate, buffs count! A moon mage prediction or LINK to another empath can help you do it earlier if you're on a newish empath character.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: shock questions 07/03/2015 01:41 PM CDT
Thanks for the info!

I've always been drawn to Empaths for the healing (because I prefer playing "helping" professions -- go figure, I'm a teacher and social worker IRL), but I also miss all the TDPs to be gained from hunting!

I'll play catch up for a bit and see how I can better incorporate Manipulate into my hunting routines.

Not GENT