Shock check? 01/31/2015 06:43 PM CST
Is there any way to check our own level of shock? I accidentally attacked living critters twice while playing with the new spell and have minor shock. I've noticed some of my spell caps were lowered in the process. How can I check to know when my shock is gone? Also, would it be worth trying to do that shock quest to lower it faster? Thanks.
Re: Shock check? 01/31/2015 07:58 PM CST
>>Mage-Warrior: Is there any way to check our own level of shock?

"I don't plan for this to be something that the empath can assess for him or herself, but it's possible that there might be an NPC that can tell you, or maybe a sufficiently skilled PC empath." --GM Melete (7/22/2012)

>>Mage-Warrior: How can I check to know when my shock is gone?

Try to cast a spell that is affected by shock. If you're shocked, it will tell you.

According to GM Melete, these abilities will not work if you are completely insensitive (perma-shocked): healing others, link, perceive health, manipulate, shift, Fountain of Creation, Regenerate, Gift of Life, Heart Link, Innocence, and Guardian Spirit.

For playability reasons, the bread-and-butter healing spells, even though they require empathy, will still work, but they will be severely penalized. These spells are: Heal Wounds, Heal Scars, Heal, Vitality Healing, Flush Poisons, and Cure Disease.

"Empathy doesn't make people nice." --GM Armifer

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Shock check? 01/31/2015 09:19 PM CST
Ok, I can't check it myself. Any word on an NPC that can tell me?

And I don't get any notifications that I have shock, other than other empaths saying I do. And the fact that the Discern on most of my spells is 1-2 points lower than it was yesterday.
Re: Shock check? 01/31/2015 11:54 PM CST
Forgot to also add, will shock just wear off by itself eventually? Or do I need to find empaths to share it with and/or quest it off? I might go try that quest when I get time if it doesn't seem to fade on its own.
Re: Shock check? 02/01/2015 12:22 AM CST
Shock will wear off if you are not completely insensitive. You may want to look over the wiki article on shock: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Empathic_shock

As previously stated, the only way to check the amount of shock you have is to cast spells which are effected by shock. If you are afflicted by shock you can tell by casting a spell like GOL. If it says "As you begin to cast the spell, you feel the weight of your empathic shock dampening your efforts." you have shock.

You can also have another empath try to take some of your shock. If they can, you have shock. If they can't, what they may be seeing is a shock scar.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Shock check? 02/01/2015 01:52 PM CST
>>Mage-Warrior: Ok, I can't check it myself. Any word on an NPC that can tell me?

There isn't one yet.

>>Mage-Warrior: And I don't get any notifications that I have shock, other than other empaths saying I do.

If you're not getting a warning message when you cast those spells, you don't have shock.

An inexperienced Empath might mistake a shock scar for actual shock. If you've ever gotten empathic shock, you will have a shock scar, even if your senses have completely recovered.

"Empathy doesn't make people nice." --GM Armifer

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Shock check? 02/04/2015 06:26 AM CST
There was a tool available in initial testing that gave the following limited output:

[OOC: You are 74 percent shocked. 100 means no abilities, 0 means all abilities (no shock).]

Perhaps as an interim QoL they would be willing to make it available with a limited number of uses, a cool down timer and even a limit on how often you could purchase it.

Asbhuan
Re: Shock check? 02/07/2015 06:52 PM CST
I had a quick question about shock and empaths detecting the shock scar--

That message about the other empath recoiling when they touch a shocked/previously shocked empath, does that ever not happen? E.g., if Joebob has no shock and touches Shockedpath, then Joebob will recoil a bit. If Joebob has lots of shock of his own and touches Shockedpath, does the recoil still happen?
Re: Shock check? 02/08/2015 06:16 AM CST
Yes. The Empath checking and taking the shock has been perma-shocked multiple times in the past and had already taken some of Xosur's shock.

You touch Xosur.
You sense a successful empathic link has been forged between you and Xosur.
You feel the burning fire of pain and suffering building slowly as you instinctively draw out the truth behind Xosur's injuries.
You sense Xosur's Empathic abilities have darkened due to empathic shock. You involuntarily draw back as a shiver of fear and disgust pierces your soul.
You sense nothing wrong with Xosur.

Asbhuan
Re: Shock check? 02/11/2015 10:06 PM CST
Belated thanks for that response, Abshuan. Pretty interesting to me, philosophically.
Re: Shock check? 04/22/2015 05:32 PM CDT
Kinda amusing that the two times Empaths seem to recoil are when checking shocked Empaths and when checking a Necromancer with a certain level of DO.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Shock check? 04/22/2015 07:43 PM CDT
Splitting hairs Tev it's three, active shock, shock scar and Necro.

We've talked about shock recovery numbers Plat-side. They've also been posted before. Those numbers have neither been confirmed or refuted by a Prime or TF centric Empath player or a GM for that matter. While it's not a challenging exercise it's not a fun PAFO exercise.

Asbhuan