Link Troubles 02/16/2013 01:59 PM CST
I have a new empath, just joined the guild, and I'm trying to get another empath to teach me empathy, but I have to be taught how to link. I'm trying to learn how to link, and I can't. Any thoughts or suggestions on this? They've touched me, I've touched them, they've offered the link, but for whatever reason, I can't accept it. It's very frustrating.

"Nope, I decided parry will remain completely and utterly useless. Try something else."
Re: Link Troubles 02/16/2013 03:20 PM CST
>>Bluesuedeshoes: I have a new empath, just joined the guild, and I'm trying to get another empath to teach me empathy, but I have to be taught how to link. I'm trying to learn how to link, and I can't. Any thoughts or suggestions on this? They've touched me, I've touched them, they've offered the link, but for whatever reason, I can't accept it.

The procedure to learn the link ability is:

Teacher: TOUCH [STUDENT]
Teacher: LINK [STUDENT] EMPATHY
Student: LINK TEACHER

When you are using the link ability, you will want the less skilled person to initiate the link, because the initiating Empath gains the skill bonus.

To teach an Empathy class:

Student: TOUCH [TEACHER]
Student: LINK [TEACHER] EMPATHY
Teacher: LINK [STUDENT]
Teacher: TEACH EMPATHY TO [STUDENT]
Student: LISTEN TO [TEACHER]

Note: If the link breaks for any reason, the empathy class will drop. Therefore, both teacher and student must be mindful of concentration.

Moreover, empathy classes are limited to one student. This, combined with the aforementioned concentration restrictions, is why few Empaths are willing to teach empathy. (If you're trying to learn scholarship, you're better off having a larger class.)

You feel your Heart Link with a mug of zombie's revenge fade away.
Re: Link Troubles 02/16/2013 04:06 PM CST
While we're on the topic, isn't it time for Link to receive the seer's sense treatment? If the person accepts, it goes through. If the person rejects then it's a contest with chance to succeed.
Re: Link Troubles 02/16/2013 09:36 PM CST
Thanks Sarkranis, it actually worked once I had learned a single rank of empathy from healing wounds.

"Nope, I decided parry will remain completely and utterly useless. Try something else."
Re: Link Troubles 02/17/2013 12:18 AM CST
>While we're on the topic, isn't it time for Link to receive the seer's sense treatment? If the person accepts, it goes through. If the person rejects then it's a contest with chance to succeed.

Why?

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Link Troubles 02/17/2013 10:58 AM CST
>> Why?

To boost your own skills without trying to explain what's going on to everyone around you. Personal pet peeve, but ignore me if no one else seems to be bothered by it.
Re: Link Troubles 02/17/2013 01:11 PM CST
I don't agree with this at all. To me, the link is personal. If I don't want to link with someone, all I should have to do is reject it and not allow them into my mind. If it turns into a stat contest where someone can force the link to occur on another, then that person should be locked open and consent should be granted. I see it as a violation of my personal space.

Re: Link Troubles 02/17/2013 04:58 PM CST
>>I see it as a violation of my personal space.

AVOID !TOUCH could possibly still block LINKs, in the theoretical scenario where a stat contest is added.

I too hate explaining the link thing all the time.

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.

http://i.imgur.com/fBq8R.jpg
Re: Link Troubles 02/23/2013 01:34 AM CST
I've personally found link about as useful as the Sprout spell. Can I still use Sprout as a reference? In fact, it's been more of a nuisance (empathy teaching) than a benefit but perhaps others have had different experiences.
Re: Link Troubles 02/25/2013 10:36 AM CST
I think that LINK could benefit with a little help text. When you initiate a link, there's no clear indication that the recipient needs to do anything to accept or reject the link.

When it comes to using the skill, I always use it in classes and feel there's a good teaching/learning boost, but have no evidence to prove it. Faith alone. However, I've used the ability in the past to do some little things: linking climbing or swimming while exploring with a ranger; magical devices in order to use some difficult items; scholarship to read & learn from scrolls.