Manipulate levels 09/28/2012 11:24 AM CDT
I have been searching for something withing my hunting range that will allow me to manipulate and learn empathy. I know that there is supposedly a large buffer between the level of empathy and combat ranks you may have, but I am confused by the seemingly inconsistencies between creatures.

Shield Usage: 230
Leather Armor: 180
Bone Armor: 213
Parry Ability: 176
Multi Opponent: 216
Evasion: 243
Empathy: 448

I can hunt Oshu in Aesry and lock Empathy using manipulate - but in crossing the giant black leucros, which are noted on elanthipedia to be a tad harder my empathy doesnt move at all. How can two creatures that are similiar in level show such a difference in the ability?
Re: Manipulate levels 09/28/2012 11:34 AM CDT
Their abilities in combat could be different than their ability to be manipulated. It's possible that Oshu have higher mentals/resistances to manipulate, and that makes them teach better. It's similar to learning hiding in combat. Some creatures have higher perception than others, even if their combats are the same. Critters with more perception teach hiding better.
Re: Manipulate levels 09/28/2012 08:00 PM CDT
Second and third tier Oshu are tougher than black leucros imo, but to answer your question...

The following should work well for you:

Elder brocket deer (If you can't handle elders, try the second tier ones)
Red Leucros
Fens/Peccs
Warcats/Orc Scouts

Aside from Empathy.. if you're training weapons most of those creatures in are in the Lang area and Grey Clays are right down the road in the 150-225 weapons range. (Can't manipulate there though)