empath questions 10/08/2010 02:26 PM CDT
Im back after a long layoff, are there other ways to train empathy other than listening to someone teach it and healing someone?

I recently learned about the hunt command and that helped my barbarian learn perception and stalking while hunting, anything like that for us empaths?

Im a little lost here, and have noticed I cant get empathy moving for the life of me. Thanks in advance!

Trauma
Re: empath questions 10/08/2010 02:46 PM CDT
The most reliable source of empathy for us is 'perceive health' right now. It's apt that you mention 'Hunt' because perc health senses the presence of people and critters in your room, and in adjacent rooms growing with skill. It can even sense disease, poison, severe vitality loss, a presense in hiding and whether or not someone is an empath.

It looks like:

>perc health

You close your eyes, drawing all your thoughts inward, and then slowly reach out to sense the life essences of those around you...

You sense:
The presence of XXXX.
You sense (W) from your current position:
The presence of a town guard.
You sense (S, E) from your current position:
The presence of XXXX, a fellow Empath.

It teaches, and is based on, empathy and power perception. There is a usage timer (~25 seconds or so) during which you can not perceive health again, and there is a longer timer before you can learn from the same room again(recent testing was really wonky on the timer). The best way to learn is to walk around in areas that you will sense a person or an NPC and perceive health.

There is also manipulation, under which we can befriend a critter and it will fight for us (provided it isn't evil). There is an initial concentration hit, depending on how hard the critter is to manipulate, and an upkeep cost of maintaining the manipulation. If your combats are close to your empathy, this can be a good way to learn, although the static cost of manipulating escalates faster than your concentration pool tends to, so it's hard to control mobs of large critters, even with high concentration.

~ Purehand

>collect coin
You manage to collect a pile of coin.
Roundtime: 30 sec.

... Jackpot.
Re: empath questions 10/08/2010 02:51 PM CDT
Don't know why I typed all of that. Just go here:

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Empathy

It's the best resource for getting caught up.

~ Purehand

>collect coin
You manage to collect a pile of coin.
Roundtime: 30 sec.

... Jackpot.