Growing Pains 07/30/2008 07:45 AM CDT
This probably is the wrong topic to post this in but it seemed to be the best fit.

(OOC: After more then two RL years in game) I have finally reached the 30th circle. Prior to this point I was actually good at field healing, a bit slower then those that rely on the various crutches available as I do most every thing by hand, but I was good, and I was proud of my ability to heal, and not over heal or die due to the complications brought about by doing just that. Now how ever it seems like ever time I touch a person with more serious wounds than a scuff, I am down for the count.

After dying during a Unit Hunt, I know that my style of healing needs to be changed, and I have spoken with one of my mentors, Lyathe regarding how to go about doing this. She had many wonderful suggestions, and I will be sitting down with her again in the very near future, but would love to learn more about how I might better be the Field Medic, which is and has always been my goal. I am asking for advice, and suggestions from those that do field healing. How might I go about relearning my healing style so I might continue to work towards being able to support myself, and stand side by side with the defenders in battle, and not worry that I am going to die because of stupidity or a lack of concentration.

Sincerely,

Francelia VanRieverhart ~eleven empath~ Citizen of Therengia ~Member of the Northern Watch 2nd Combat Squad~
Re: Growing Pains 07/30/2008 07:56 AM CDT
Take half, heal, take the other half
Re: Growing Pains 07/30/2008 08:33 AM CDT
Thanks, tried that but seems like I am not able to do that with any degree of accuracy.

Francelia VanRieverhart~elven empath~ Citizen of Therengia ~Member of the Northern Watch, Second Combat Squad.
Re: Growing Pains 07/30/2008 09:27 AM CDT
I use a healing script for quick healing on lots of small wounds, it is fast and effective, but I always touch first to see what I am dealing with. When it comes to larger and death type wounds I finally figured out a system that works really well for me with out being super noisy.

patient with internal and external chest bleeder I will typically heal it this way:

Take xxx chest
Take xxx chest int
Prep heal wounds 15
Har 5

wait until I start bleeding

Cast chest

Prep heal scars 20
Har 5

wait until spell fully prepared

Cast chest

Then I start taking the chest scars and prep and cast heal scars on my chest again.

I can take the other small wounds at the same time and if there is more that one of the bigger wounds I will heal small externals while I clean up the first big one and then use the same system on the next big wound.

When all is said and done there would prolly be some indsignifcant to minor wounds left on my chest but for the most part it works well for me.

I have used this in the field a couple times and it worked pretty well there too, instead of taking the small wounds I focused on defending myself as best I could and keep the person I was hunting with safe from larger injuries.

I used to die, A LOT, but this seems to be a good system and it has reduced the pesky death thing quite a bit. Cleaning up big wounds this way then running my healing script works really well on deaders to and helps me heal people so that they are raisable faster then I can finish cleaning them up while I take care of thier vitality.
Re: Growing Pains 07/30/2008 09:44 AM CDT
I don't know if this will help you or not- But what my empath does is look at the patient to see which wound is most serious. Then she starts taking that, and heals herself part of the way through so the remainder of the wound won't kill her.

You may also want to use Heart Link: Most people only see that in terms of Nissa's Binding, but I have successfully used that as an emergency life-support. It has saved my hide and that of at least one patient who had been thoroughly scorched by boiling oil during the last war.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Growing Pains 07/30/2008 12:27 PM CDT
IIRC you can use extra TOUCH options to only show you wounds at or above a certain severity/bleeding wounds, which might come in handy. I forget the syntax though.

Using a familiar window to catch the output would definitely help too.

Rev. Reene

SEND[Averiss] what were you recently doing with the mirror and the horse?

Idon: Is there something I should know about?
Me: I'm not even talking to you.
Re: Growing Pains 07/30/2008 05:53 PM CDT
1. Always have Refresh up.
2. Always have Gift of Life up.
3. Pour tdp's into stats that build concentration like stamina, discipline, and intel, for me stamina and discipline being the two I spend tdp's on most often.
4. Use a script or some other way to stand if you collapse, and rest a bit before continuing to heal and pause a bit before trying to use magic to heal yourself, using herbs helps a lot.
5. Do not ever try to use manipulate to keep critters off of you, let the people you are healing protect you instead.

Just a few tips I've used and learned over the years, and had to relearn #3 because of the changes to concentration.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: Growing Pains 07/30/2008 05:56 PM CDT
I highlight all the wounds, then with the familiar window open, I touch the patient. My hightlights are as follows: yellow for non-lethal, pink for semi-lethal, red for lethal.

Yellow are abrasions and scratches.
Pink is bruising just before bleeding, minor scarring.
Red is anything bleeding, severe scaring, twitching, or nervous system wounds.

Helps me find the critical wounds first then heal downwards towards pink etc if I have the time.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Growing Pains 07/30/2008 09:45 PM CDT
I do the same as a few before have posted. I start taking all the little wounds and after ive started healing them I focus on one bad wound. I start to take it and pause a few seconds then prep a spell to heal myself just as i start to bleed and continue to heal myself until thier wound is gone.

If its an external wound thats rough, i can take 2 or 3 at a time due to EWH being very low mana and quick. But if its a bad internal I just heal them one at a time.

Warzen
Re: Growing Pains 07/31/2008 06:38 AM CDT
>>I start taking all the little wounds and after ive started healing them I focus on one bad wound. I start to take it and pause a few seconds then prep a spell to heal myself just as i start to bleed and continue to heal myself until thier wound is gone<<

You may also prefer to prep the spell first then start to draw the bad wound so it has more time to prepare
Re: Growing Pains 07/31/2008 12:53 PM CDT
No one has yet mentioned Blood Staunch, but it sure comes in handy. It has allowed me to stay in the fray mass healing and heal the worst I have taken at a more leisurely pace. Also allowed me to survive many a burning naptha/oil/scalding water dump from a barricade and the piles of rocks tossed by a catapult (except for the ones that killed me instantly).

Asbhuan
Re: Growing Pains 07/31/2008 01:21 PM CDT
>>I do most every thing by hand, but I was good, and I was proud of my ability to heal, and not over heal or die due to the complications brought about by doing just that. Now how ever it seems like ever time I touch a person with more serious wounds than a scuff, I am down for the count.

You didn't really say what was causing you to die. Overhealing? Bleeding to death? Creatures? Too many concentration hits causing you to be unable to cast spells?

>>No one has yet mentioned Blood Staunch, but it sure comes in handy. It has allowed me to stay in the fray mass healing and heal the worst I have taken at a more leisurely pace. Also allowed me to survive many a burning naptha/oil/scalding water dump from a barricade and the piles of rocks tossed by a catapult (except for the ones that killed me instantly).

Yep, in my opinion Blood Staunch is the best tool a field healer has available. If you cast it before the hunt starts, you can stack to the casts so that your blood staunch will last for a real life hour. It's also important to have a nice beefy refresh up, of course.

At 33rd Szrael can use "take half," so you might be pretty close to being able to use it.

When field healing or doing triage, I basically just keep that huge blood staunch up, then I just concentrate on keeping vital areas ready for more healing. With a blood staunch going, you can walk around with completely destroyed arms, legs, hands and eyes, so then you only have to worry about keeping your vital areas in good shape.

You also need to make sure you have enough Empaths available. Five hunters, hunting a little above their skill levels will generate wounds much, much faster than an Empath can hope to heal them. At least a 30th circle empath -- maybe things are different once you get regenerate. Szrael is 33rd, so I'm speaking from much the same experience level I imagine.

I also feel that there's no shame in dying in the "line of duty" every once in a while. Empaths always seem so down on themselves when they overheal, but to me (and Szrael) it's just one of those things that happen sometimes, just just how sometimes you die hunting. Not a big deal. Just get a ward, depart, and boom, a cast of refresh, a few casts of vitality healing, and you're once again ready for anything.

Dragonrealms Tourney Calendar: http://tourneydr.com
Upcoming Tournies:
40 and Under, Thu Jul 31st: http://tourneydr.com/index.php?option=com_view&id=16
60 and Under, Sun Aug 3rd: http://www.tourneydr.com/index.php?option=com_view&id=36
Re: Growing Pains 07/31/2008 01:55 PM CDT
Thank you all for your suggestions and comments.

My style of healing has always been to have my familiar window open, and as soon as I was able to start determining the major damage from the minor, I would "touch xxxx minor" to start with those things that were the most deadly. This gave me the ability in the field, hopefully, to keep xxxx alive to get to a safer spot, or to continue to do battle with the big drooling critter trying to do away with us.

If I am in the field, I try and keep myself "refreshed" all the time, I cast blood staunch anytime I am I am going to take bleeders in the field, this gives me time to heal the wounded, and then heal myself with out bleeding out.

Per a conversation I had with one of my mentors I believe the issues is that I circled to 32nd and suddenly my concentration has tanked, I can't seem to cast spells I was able to before going to 30th. This is causing me to be very ineffective in the one place I need to be the most effective. I am going to implement a number of changes to the way I heal, based on what I have read here, and my conversation with my Mentor Lyathe, especially the "highlighting" certain healing messages.

I thank you for any other suggestions.

Francelia VanRiveirhart ~elven empath~ Citizen of Therengia ~Member of the Northern Watch, Combat Unit, Second Squad.
Re: Growing Pains 07/31/2008 03:38 PM CDT
>>At least a 30th circle empath -- maybe things are different once you get regenerate. Szrael is 33rd, so I'm speaking from much the same experience level I imagine.

Regenerate is nice if you know/figure that you generally won't be casting spells for a while. If you've gotta heal down quickly or refresh your utility spells, Regenerate just gets in the way.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Growing Pains 07/31/2008 03:45 PM CDT
break all is your friend as well, if the wound is really bad, break the links after a partial transfer

--
Treat empaths with respect, you'll live longer.
--
If life doesn't need intelligence,
Then why should intelligence need life?
--
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Legeres
http://www.myspace.com/ledge_ear_us
http://legeres.deviantart.com