A GS Idea 01/29/2008 03:56 PM CST
A simple idea with many many many applications:

>pre GS 30
>cast guardian
You summon your fairy guardian thing.

>LINK GUARDIAN
You create an Empathic Link with your fairy guardian thing. Wee!

Linking to your GS would provide a series of benefits, abilities and boosts based on the competency of the guardian and it's type. It would be concentration based, meaning it would require a minimum hit to concentration and also slowly drain concentration over time.

For instance,

AVENGER
An offensive, combat oriented guardian. You could receive a boost to Evasion, MO, other combat-related boosts.

You could command it to advance certain critters, be in offensive or defensive stances, retreat, etc. Basically a proxy to allow Empaths more control in combat.

WOODWISP
A utility, survival oriented guardian. Boosts Foraging, Perception, other survival skills.

You could command it to forage for certain herbs, search out hidden people/things, help you climb obstacles, etc.

COLEPLEXY
A magic/utility guardian. Boost magic skills.

Could command it to cast TM spells, cast buff spells on you, etc.

So you get the idea... I'm sure each of them could be fleshed out to make them all viable, useful guardians.

Thoughts?

GENT
Re: A GS Idea 01/29/2008 04:39 PM CST
>>Thoughts?

The boost, would that be all applicable skills all at once or one skill randomly selected (or merely a chosen skill from a restricted list)?

If it's all skills at once, what's the justification/explanation? This bonus sounds a lot like plain LINK, which as it currently stands is limited in some fashion.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: A GS Idea 01/29/2008 04:54 PM CST
Similar thoughts had crossed my mind at some point, too. I really like the idea of Empathizing with guardian spirits to obtain some beneficial effect. Rather than skill boosts, though, I was thinking in terms of some other sort of intrinsic bonuses, such as the ability to see in the dark or breathe underwater. Assuming that a narmorbreth can breathe underwater, for example, it seems perfectly reasonable that one could Empathize with it in such a way as to gain the "able to breathe underwater" property.

Thanks,
-Kaith Partani Karthor
Re: A GS Idea 01/29/2008 05:24 PM CST
I'd love me some narmorbreth kisses. Maybe empaths could link to theirs and get underwater breathing, but how about also making it so that narmobreths help avoid drowning (mermaid kisses, for instance)? A sort of anti-drowning autopath, if you will, which means you probably can't depend on them in an emergency. ;)

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: A GS Idea 01/29/2008 05:52 PM CST
There are things coming, but not likely utilizing Link at this point. They may come in the form of subsequent booster spells, but that has yet to be determined.

Stay tuned...

GM Reexa

Re: A GS Idea 01/29/2008 05:57 PM CST
>>Rather than skill boosts, though, I was thinking in terms of some other sort of intrinsic bonuses, such as the ability to see in the dark or breathe underwater. Assuming that a narmorbreth can breathe underwater, for example, it seems perfectly reasonable that one could Empathize with it in such a way as to gain the "able to breathe underwater" property.

I was trying to think more along these lines, but I couldn't really recall the various guardian types well enough to think of more creative ideas.

Good ideas!

I thought LINK would be a good candidate because to me, it seems kind of under used and under valued as it currently stands.

Glad to hear there is more on the way. Makes me wish I still played my Empath.

GENT