Spells and abilities 08/25/2010 07:56 PM CDT
Thank you for reading this post.

I just attained 11th circle and gained the ability to take poison. I've had the flush poison spells for 6 circles I believe. I didn't know until now that I couldn't take poison from a patient. Why was I able to learn a spell that I, in nearly all probability, would never use unless a patient had poison to heal? I also have the cure disease spell and have no idea when I'll be granted the ability to take disease.

If I had known I couldn't even transfer these ailments I wouldn't have wasted the spell slots beforehand. I want to be the best healer possible and structured my spell selections as such. In 11 circles I've never used either but I took them on the off-chance that someone would need my help, which I could never have given.

I'm irked, though I love the profession. I'd just like to understand the reason behind the offering.

Thanks.
Re: Spells and abilities 08/25/2010 08:06 PM CDT
There's two timers with appraisal, one global and one item specific. The item-specific timer can be avoided entirely by changing the contents of the gem pouch. The global timer is short. Now that I've posted this, it may be changed as well. I have to say, I share the bewilderment about the risk vs reward analysis for the appraisal skill.

I mean, traders can swap their carving knife/shaper dealies over and over again, and that item teaches over 1000 ranks. Pretty sure there's no risk there. (I did this for about 100 ranks.)

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Spells and abilities 08/25/2010 08:31 PM CDT
Cure poison gives you a free pass if you decide to train disarm traps, and cure disease can still be useful if you get infected wounds from bleeders, esp at lower circles where you can't fully stop bleeding.

How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads, to whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams. -Bram Stoker's Dracula
Re: Spells and abilities 08/25/2010 08:40 PM CDT
<<Cure poison gives you a free pass if you decide to train disarm traps, and cure disease can still be useful if you get infected wounds from bleeders, esp at lower circles where you can't fully stop bleeding.>>

In addition to that, the ability to transfer poison and disease is actually skill-based rather than being something you acquire at a specific circle. They just mention it at certain circles to let you know that you can do it by then. If you've trained Empathy beyond the requirement you can do it sooner, so it's possible to have the obvious use for the spells before you're "taught" how to transfer the respective ailments.

Thanks,
-Death's Nemesis Karthor
Re: Spells and abilities 08/25/2010 08:41 PM CDT
Responsibly, at what level can't you stop a bleeder in two casts? Also, I've popped 100's of boxes with another character and I have yet to see a single poison needle box.

The ability to flush poisons or cure disease, as an empath, shouldn't even be a spell option until you have the technical ability to transfer the wounds.

I want to know the empathic guild reason why I can get these spells 5 circles, for flush poisons and how many for cure disease I don't know, before I can transfer the wounds.
Re: Spells and abilities 08/25/2010 08:43 PM CDT
It takes 45 ranks to transfer poisons then, the 11th circle empathy requirement. I can get flush poisons as a spell at around 20 ranks of empathy, please don't quote me as I'm remembering from when I chose the spell.
Re: Spells and abilities 08/25/2010 09:45 PM CDT
when you are a lower circle empath, cure diseases does come in handy in case you end up infected from trying to hold on to a bleeder for too long. flush poisons can come in handy with boxes, because the poison ones are out there so you never know really.

the thing is, there are empaths a plenty that are more than willing to help out younger empaths with advice on spell selection IG, there is the forum, that you obviously know about, elanthipedia... lots of resources to help. if the goal is to be the best healer possible, use these resources, most people really do like to help.
Re: Spells and abilities 08/25/2010 09:48 PM CDT
>>I want to know the empathic guild reason why I can get these spells 5 circles, for flush poisons and how many for cure disease I don't know, before I can transfer the wounds.

Recently a number of redundant low-level healing spells were combined, leaving the spell tree much sparser than it was, especially toward the bottom. Before this happened, you'd spend most of your early spell slots on those redundant spells. So most empaths wouldn't bother with flush poison until around the circle when they'd be pretty likely to be able to transfer poisons anyway. Despite this, changes to the spell tree are quite unlikely for the time being due to the upcoming magic rewrite. I'm pretty sure that a lot of things magic are waiting on that.

Further, as other have pointed out, there are Empaths who open boxes or go exploring in areas which can net them poison or disease before they are actually able to transfer it. I personally don't see a reason for barring those Empaths from learning these spells, despite the fact that they can't transfer the maladies in question yet. A warning from the guildleader might not be amiss, but right now it would be very, very low on the to-do list, especially since the magic rewrite is coming down and so on and so forth.

More options, not fewer, etc..

Melete
Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.
Re: Spells and abilities 08/26/2010 06:35 AM CDT
Thanks for the response.