Guardian Spirits 08/23/2010 10:08 PM CDT
>app colep quick
But you just appraised the fungus colepexy. Did you forget already?

Yo... NOT COOL.

~ Purehand

>collect coin
You manage to collect a pile of coin.
Roundtime: 30 sec.

... Jackpot.
Re: Guardian Spirits 08/23/2010 10:58 PM CDT
>Yo... NOT COOL.

You had to know it was coming :) I do like the messaging, though. Basically "Hey stupid, you just did that!" lol
Re: Guardian Spirits 08/23/2010 11:22 PM CDT
>>But you just appraised the fungus colepexy. Did you forget already?

I'm sorry for the lack of notice about this.

The relatively risk-free, unlimited appraisal experience that guardian spirits allowed was an unintended feature. Normally, any creature that will teach you appraisal will also pose some risk to you, which wasn't the case with the guardian spirits.

Accordingly, a timer was added to the appraisal of guardian spirits to take into account the relative safety of appraising them.

Melete
Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.
Re: Guardian Spirits 08/24/2010 12:14 AM CDT
I think there's a major disconnect when we're taking time to address 'the relative safety' of learning appraisal.

Ah well, it was a good compromise to the absurdity of learning appraisal while it lasted.

~ Purehand

>collect coin

... Jackpot.
Re: Guardian Spirits 08/24/2010 10:46 AM CDT
> app pouch quick
The gem pouch is a container, and can be opened and closed.
The gem pouch is moderately soft.
It appears that the gem pouch can be worn attached to a belt.
You are certain that the gem pouch weighs exactly 55 stones.
You sort through the gems and finally decide that they're worth a total of about 174693 Lirums.
Roundtime: 5 seconds.

Appraisal: 1071 48% rapt (30/34)

Appraisal pouches still are the best way to learn. Just find a MM to CG as many high priced gems as you can. Slipping more then 75 gems into a pouch doesn't increase experience though. When you appraise the pouch it only takes into count the last 75 gems you put in.

I'm on a Motor-boat!!
Re: Guardian Spirits 08/24/2010 10:54 AM CDT
Good to know. Thanks. Is there a timer?

~ Purehand

>collect coin

... Jackpot.
Re: Guardian Spirits 08/24/2010 11:18 AM CDT
Wow, yes, inquiring minds want to know what the timer is for appraising gem pouches. Any suggestions on where to get the gems from since it only takes into account 75 of them?

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Guardian Spirits 08/24/2010 11:48 AM CDT
No timer that I know of, I just appraise the pouch every couple of minutes and always stay locked. The best gems that I have found are Large Rubies from Dobek Moruryns.

I'm on a Motor-boat!!
Re: Guardian Spirits 08/24/2010 12:36 PM CDT
>>No timer that I know of, I just appraise the pouch every couple of minutes and always stay locked. The best gems that I have found are Large Rubies from Dobek Moruryns.

The fact that you can't appraise the gem pouch again right after appraising it for more experience is a timer. I believe it is around 90 seconds, but I've never tried to time it myself. Though I was unware of only the last 75 items being placed in the pouch to be accounted for. I am curious as to where you picked up that bit of knowledge?

Khorgar ~ Always carrying appraisal pouches
Re: Guardian Spirits 08/24/2010 02:50 PM CDT
err wait I lied, 70 items. Since an untied pouch can only hold 70 Items. When you slip more items in the pouch to raise the amount past 70 the appraisal can go down if you slip in lower quality gems.

You sort through the contents of the gem pouch and find 83 gems in it.
You sort through the gems and finally decide that they're worth a total of about 122693 Lirums.

You sort through the contents of the gem pouch and find 70 gems in it.
You sort through the gems and finally decide that they're worth a total of about 174087 Lirums.

I'm on a Motor-boat!!
Re: Guardian Spirits 08/24/2010 02:51 PM CDT
And apparently it looks like the slip bug got fixed so I cant go above 70 items again

I'm on a Motor-boat!!
Re: Guardian Spirits 08/26/2010 09:33 AM CDT
>There's two timers with appraisal, one global and one item specific. The item-specific timer can be avoided entirely by changing the contents of the gem pouch. The global timer is short. Now that I've posted this, it may be changed as well. I have to say, I share the bewilderment about the risk vs reward analysis for the appraisal skill.

>I mean, traders can swap their carving knife/shaper dealies over and over again, and that item teaches over 1000 ranks. Pretty sure there's no risk there. (I did this for about 100 ranks.)

Thanks for the additional info JMF; always insightful. I really think it would have been more appropriate to provide us with a trader-like appraisal learning system before taking away GS appraisal. 90 second timers/shifting contents is just silly.

Marginal utilty + pain in the butt to train = history of lore skill. Hopefully that changes with the lore rewrites, but this change was negative and unnecessary IMO.

~ Purehand

>collect coin

... Jackpot.
Re: Guardian Spirits 08/26/2010 10:05 AM CDT
>Marginal utilty + pain in the butt to train = history of lore skill. Hopefully that changes with the lore rewrites, but this change was negative and unnecessary IMO.

Also, it was a stealth nerf, there's no reason for that.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.