Regarding nissa's binding 07/05/2009 05:22 PM CDT
I could swear I remembered reading a GM post a while back, that NB is no longer unresistable, provided the target passes a check and is standing, as sitting or lying down still made it unresistable.

However, the spell still seems unresistable. After a recent encounter with a hostile empath, I decided to test it with a friendly one who I knew was way below me in terms of skill and stats. There was no message about trying to resist it, no message about anything, it just goes off, and again, seems unresistable.

The only difference is in how long the duration is, apparantly. Is it supposed to be this way?
Re: Regarding nissa's binding 07/05/2009 05:26 PM CDT
Why is it whenever you get into a fight with one of my characters you run straight to the boards to complain about one of the abilities used?

NB was never totally unresistable. If you're anything but standing however there is no contest.

Rev. Reene

Reene: I WILL BECOME MINILYRAS!
Devan: ... I thought you already were.
Re: Regarding nissa's binding 07/05/2009 05:27 PM CDT
By the way, you may wish to note that removal is not consent before you go attacking random people who had you removed for being yourself.

You're lucky all of the people you do this to don't report.

Rev. Reene

Re: Regarding nissa's binding 07/05/2009 05:39 PM CDT
Nissa's can be resisted.

I tested it with Vaeyrin who was lying down, and he resisted it. I think that aspect of the spell is no more. I'm willing to test it again if anyone wants to.

Nissa's is an SvS spell, and people rarely train strength and stamina as much as they train the other stats commonly used in stat contests. This is why SvS spells seem crazy OP. The stats used for the attacker are commonly trained by Empaths and the stats used by the defender are commonly trained by... almost no one. At least rarely on par with the rest of their stats.

Hopefully the upcoming combat changes will give people reasons to keep stamina and strength on par with the rest of their stats, instead only getting enough to get minimum roundtime and the ability to swing constantly without tiring immediately.

-- Player of Szrael --
Re: Regarding nissa's binding 07/05/2009 05:46 PM CDT
I just hope NB gets rewritten to be a proper disabler.

The reason the no-contest bits were added originally was due to NB being intended as a beneficial spell. Someone always resisting it sort of defeats that point.

Right now it's still trapped in limbo with oodles of bugs that make it unpleasant to use.

Rev. Reene

Re: Regarding nissa's binding 07/05/2009 05:47 PM CDT
Quick question on NB.

Was reading through consent policy on spells, wondering what the ruling is on NB in a safe room. Either way, I'm still open so killing me doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but does anyone have a solid answer one way or the other to satisfy my curiousity?

(Below is consent policy from NEWS 5 25)

--- SPELLS (INCLUDING ENCHANTES, ROARS, PREDICTIONS AND "AREA EFFECTS") ---

* You cast a spell on me! Is it consent?
YES -- if it places me in imminent danger -- or COULD HAVE. That doesn't mean I have to die from it, or be injured. If you cast on me out in the badlands, it's consent, even if no critters get to me before I recover or get dragged out.
YES -- if you cast on me in town while an angry mob is chasing me down (even if it's justified), I DO have the right to retaliate (after I recover from the beating the mob gave me).
YES -- if it harms me (or could have) in and of itself. You Ice Patch me? I can clean your clock even if I didn't so much as stub my toe.
* But it wasn't harmful. I'm a Barbarian and I resisted. Is that still consent?
YES -- You intended, therefore, you're mine.

SEND[Bramoir] Okay, you are all set, just make sure you use your name for the powers of good okay?
Re: Regarding nissa's binding 07/05/2009 06:01 PM CDT
My interpretation of the policy is that if you cast any spell on anyone without their explicit permission (beneficial, non-, accidental, whatever) you have granted them consent.

They should have to act on this consent reasonably quickly though, especially in the case of a beneficial spell. So someone who you just attempt to sleep can't come hunt you down two days later just because. (Unless, of course, you're open and they're a toolbag).

Nissa's requires consent if you use it in a way that places someone in danger. So you can sleep them in a safe room all you want, but you can't sleep them while they're hunting without consent, or sleep them and then drag them into danger, or sleep them so your friend has an easier time killing them. This is why Szrael moves people into buildings if she sleeps them in town -- to avoid placing them in danger of being run over by caravans. (seriously)

But, as always, this all depends on the GM interpreting the policy as well.

-- Player of Szrael --
Re: Regarding nissa's binding 07/05/2009 07:41 PM CDT
<<Nissa's is an SvS spell, and people rarely train strength and stamina as much as they train the other stats commonly used in stat contests.>>

To add to that, one of the aforementioned oodles of bugs is that if the caster wins the contest by any amount, the result of the spell is the same as winning the contest by an overwhelmingly large margin. So having someone barely win the contest against you will end up feeling like there's no contest at all, because the result is the same as if they'd achieved the maximum possible success. As I'm sure is well-known by now, it's not especially difficult to achieve non-zero success with a stat contested spell unless there's something like large magic resistance or potent barriers involved in addition to a large stat differential.

But yeah, the spell's going to be changing in the (near?) future. A lot. It's going to be a pure disabler with no beneficial effects, and the requirement of having an active Heart Link with the target will be going away. It will also be properly marked as "offensive" so that it properly recognizes barriers and the like. Degree of success in the contest will matter. It will (probably) retain some capability to affect more than one target at a time, but exactly what that will end up looking like hasn't been revealed.

Thanks,
-Death's Nemesis Karthor
Re: Regarding nissa's binding 07/05/2009 11:17 PM CDT
>>To add to that, one of the aforementioned oodles of bugs is that if the caster wins the contest by any amount, the result of the spell is the same as winning the contest by an overwhelmingly large margin.

I believe this is the main issue with NB right now.

Let me add that I've never in my entire time playing DR successfully defend against NB. Either I resist it (BMR), or it puts me to sleep.

I've got to get the stats from Zaeylor, but she seems to be able to put me to sleep anytime I'm not dancing Dragon (and only because I actually resist with my BMR, not win the actual contest). I highly doubt she has more strength and stamina than me, and especially not when I dance Bear which probably gives me a 15 boost to strength and 10 to stamina.

I believe some SvS contests are just plain messed up, and not always a result of people not training strength or stamina.

Vinjince
Re: Regarding nissa's binding 07/06/2009 12:58 AM CDT
>I believe some SvS contests are just plain messed up, and not always a result of people not training strength or stamina.

The magic gurus claim this isn't the case, but I'm skeptical. I've recently trained strength and stamina up a bit, I should run another round of tests. The problem is, empaths tend to have really high discipline and stamina, and with charisma powering avengers and affecting teaching it's like the ideal trifecta.
Re: Regarding nissa's binding 07/06/2009 01:06 AM CDT
>>I believe some SvS contests are just plain messed up, and not always a result of people not training strength or stamina.

Forgive me for asking this, but isn't SvS Spell versus stamina? In that case, isn't it pitting the PM of the caster against your stamina? I know there are other factors, but its not just stamina versus stamina, and whoever has the higher stamina wins right?
Re: Regarding nissa's binding 07/06/2009 01:09 AM CDT
PM has no role in stat contests beyond determining how much mana you can put into the spell.

http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Contested_Spells

Rev. Reene

Re: Regarding nissa's binding 07/06/2009 02:35 AM CDT
I'm available for testing, if anyone wants to.

AIM:Zaeylor
Re: Regarding nissa's binding(troll derail) 07/06/2009 06:09 AM CDT
>>Why is it whenever you get into a fight with one of my characters you run straight to the boards to complain about one of the abilities used?

Unlike you and your stable of alts, I don't go around looking for fights. I don't encounter some aspects of pvp until I run into them. And this isn't 'running to the boards and complaining'. I knew damn well when this totally random person just started in on me for no reason one day, there was a high chance they were just some class-less alt. Thanks for proving me right.

That and the whole 'start a riot, run to the empath safe door, hide inside, log off' thing stank of alt-foolishness.

>>By the way, you may wish to note that removal is not consent before you go attacking random people who had you removed for being yourself.

"Being myself" huh? I was in the middle of crushing crystals to make nerve elixir to put on the shelf, and listening to a class. Pathological lying is always the worst. Hey, here's something else.

>>Any statement, emote or action used in a negative manner against another player has the potential to be considered consent, especially when it is deliberately used to goad the target into a physical encounter.

And I was perfectly fine to just wait out the stun, up and walk away and come back when two shared characters weren't deciding to spam remove on me for simply being there. But once I was outside and stunned, 1/2 of the people who caused it came to attack me. That's why the first half died, also because once the assaulter realized I was going to stand up eventually, they ran back inside the guild and logged off.

>>Advancing someone DOES give the other party consent. They should not have to wait until they have a blade in their chest to defend themselves. If you are advancing on someone, that is a direct threat to their person and they have to right to react in a reasonable and IC fashion.

And that's what'll run into the second half, once they stop hiding behind sanctuary wards. Also, the absolute worst kind of person is one who trolls the forums to start trouble, then brings it in game. I've had zero contact with you or any of your alts apart from a pair of duels, which you've managed to blow up into this massive spit-storm, all because you don't like me on the forums.

P.S. 4 minutes to fire off a reply? That's unusual, considering your others clock in under 90 seconds, and sometimes half that. Did the alert klaxons for someone posting on the forums get drowned out in some other noise?
Re: Regarding nissa's binding 07/06/2009 06:17 AM CDT
>>They should have to act on this consent reasonably quickly though, especially in the case of a beneficial spell. So someone who you just attempt to sleep can't come hunt you down two days later just because.

Unless you pathetically backfire the NB cast after heart linking them, and they tell you not to do it, but you do it anyway, twice . Also, if you're a griefing alt, two days or two weeks might be the same amount of time if you never log in. Of course, if you're talking about two days with both parties logged in around the same times, that's totally valid.
Re: Regarding nissa's binding(troll derail) 07/06/2009 06:25 AM CDT
I'll clarify a few things here for the unknowing:

Trazier gwethsmashed Mikiri a couple of weeks ago because she was attempting to charge for healing and proceeded to harass her and every other charging Empath in the guild via familiar after being removed. I guess you must have forgotten all about that little incident before you went on your little tirade here.

I remained logged on and even wandered around for about 45 minutes after you got removed. Don't blame your failure to kill me with two or three rapid-fire Dragon's Breaths right outside the guild on anyone but yourself.

And no, you didn't have consent to kill Sarkranis, which is what I was referring to. The stun came from you trying to sneak in through the Healerie by climbing the pole back into the main room; the normal removal doesn't and didn't stun you. Next time take a hint and don't go where you're not wanted.

I understand the whining (it's you, after all) but please don't grossly misrepresent the situation here. You started this fight with this character and it had nothing to do with either the boards or my other characters. You don't even know who the rest of my characters are. No one does.

You didn't even die because of avenger fail + NB bugginess on top of your use of avoids, so suck it up and stop complaining about everything that negatively affects your character in even the slightest way.

Rev. Reene

Re: Regarding nissa's binding(troll derail) 07/06/2009 08:22 AM CDT
Teehee, Trazier rage it must be my birthday.

~Arwinia

The Empath spellbook is a riddle trapped in an enigma hidden inside a lot of suck.-Armifer
Re: Regarding nissa's binding(troll derail) 07/06/2009 08:31 AM CDT
I'll clarify a few things just in case anyone was prone to believe your skewed take on things. This'll also be fairly long, as while it takes a paragraph or two to spit out some lies and damned lies, explaining the whole situation will take a bit more.

>>Trazier gwethsmashed Mikiri a couple of weeks ago because she was attempting to charge for healing and proceeded to harass her and every other charging Empath in the guild via familiar after being removed. I guess you must have forgotten all about that little incident before you went on your little tirade here.

Totally wrong. Here, if anyone cares, is the detailed version of events.

Some bleedy guy (Soloe) staggers into the guild, asking for healing. Mikiri nods to them (in gemstone, an empath nodding to an injured person is a way of going 'okay, i'm going to be the one who's going to heal you', mainly to other empaths, but I digress) and touches them. A few moments later, says "5 gold".

Soloe goes 'what?'.

Mikiri repeats, 'That'll be 5 gold'.

Soloe sighs.
Says "Any OTHER empaths healing?" At this point, another empath touches him and begins healing.

Mikiri says, 'You could say that less rudely'

Soloe says '5 gold' (score 1 in this guy's column)

Mikiri heart-links Soloe. Then NBs him. Drags him outside, total slap in the face to the person who was already healing him. I follow the trail of fail and find him asleep at the feet of Martyr and Kaiva.

I drag him back into the guild and say to the empath who was healing him, 'your patient has returned'.

A cleric who just happened to be observing (R name, Rorsch maybe?) off-handedly comments 'Well that was rude of her', since there was only two 'her's in this situation, and one was trying to help the guy, it's pretty easy to guess who he's mentioning.

Mikiri uses remove(#1) on Soloe, me, and the cleric. Then heart links me and the cleric, then hastily backfires NB. As I knew what was going to happen, I told her to rethink this course of action. She repreps and casts it anyway, sleeping me and the cleric. The cleric she dumps outside, but I knew well enough (and had about 2 minutes time) to set my avoids.

I wake up a short time later, heart-link still active, and say "That was not a wise decision". Mikiri's reply is to go "Shh" and do it again. Right about that time the decision to pay this back was set in my mind.

The sleep wears off again, so, I try to drag Mikiri outside for 'discipline'... of course the avoids are set. Then she thinks on the gweth for Zaeylor, but someone else says that person is in theren, then she gweths for 'other empaths' to come to the guild, because 'some people are being morons'.

At that point, I knew it was only a matter of time before one who cared more about doing whatever a 'friend' told them to, than doing what was right, showed up. So I thought about what I could do to Mikiri.... I decided to smash the gweth she called for harassment-reinforcements with, and then I left.

I decided to check up on Soloe, so I sent a pet, since I didn't care to give mikiri or her friends the satisfaction of removing me the second time and getting the 2 hour ban. What follows, is Szrael and Zaeylor showing up to basicly ridicule him for DARING to question an empath (Nice speed, Zaeylor), no matter how obnoxious they were. One of them, I forget which, sends the second remove to toss him out of the guild.

Then mikiri says, to Szrael "I'll be in the room if you need me" and since I already had my highlights set, I see this.

Mikiri goes west.
(2 seconds pass)
Mikiri heads home after a hard day of adventuring.... So there you have it. I think two weeks is enough time for such foolishness to pass, but apparantly not, because this takes place today, or yesterday, or 'a short while ago'.

>>I remained logged on and even wandered around for about 45 minutes after you got removed. Don't blame your failure to kill me with two or three rapid-fire Dragon's Breaths right outside the guild on anyone but yourself.

LIES LIES LIES You logged off from that first situation with such haste it made me think you weren't anybody's main, and just a trouble-making alt...

As for this recent one? Once a 2 minute stun, along with a sleep from binding, and a constant assault from mikiri's avenger failed to kill me, I got up and fired back.

Unfortunately, what should've been 6 or 7 shots, was 2, due to a stance I use when around town, JUST IN CASE SOME RANDOM ASSAULT TAKES PLACE.

You are currently using 100% of your evasion skill.
You are currently using 100% of your shield block skill.
You are currently using 0% of your weapon parry skill.
You are attacking with 20% of your offensive skill.

And that's probably the only thing that kept your stupid monster from killing me. But it also influences casts.

So, after the second spit hits mikiri (while the spell fades due to 20% offense), and momentarily stuns her, what happens?

Mikiri goes through some double doors.

Not 40 seconds later, as i'm observing the guild...

Mikiri returns home after a hard day of adventuring.

Followed by...

Sarkranis climbs up some stairs.
Sarkranis goes out.

I grew tired of the actions of what were obviously ONE person. Maybe I didn't make a right decision, but this is one of two people whos actions put me in danger, and the other one logged so fast i'd almost consider it combat logging were it not for the sanctuary ward to hide behind.

>>And no, you didn't have consent to kill Sarkranis, which is what I was referring to. The stun came from you trying to sneak in through the Healerie by climbing the pole back into the main room; the normal removal doesn't and didn't stun you. Next time take a hint and don't go where you're not wanted.

Her actions caused a 2 minute stun during which mikiri tried to kill me. And as for 'don't go where you're not wanted', nobody else in there ever seems to have a problem with me.

Just one random jerk, one random day, and then nearly 3 weeks later, the same person continuing the same actions.

And if anyone cares for the brief details on that, some guy was talking about afk scripting in the empath guild, but he did so by calling them 'zombies'. Mikiri/Reene/whoever-else in her omnipresent need to always be right, says 'There aren't any undead in here' then perceives health, then says 'None in hiding either'.

The guy didn't get it, and he indirectly calls Mikiri a helpless moron, who knows what he's talking about, but pretends not to.

"Here we go again" I start thinking to myself, and I wait to see the heart link fire off. But instead, I say out loud, while crushing my crystals to make elixir for the shelf 'Ain't the dead all outside the gates?'

I honestly thought hey, maybe this is a way to start up a conversation with someone I should hate, maybe they were just having a bad day that last day, since they aren't sleeping this guy who did so much more than the other guy.

Moments later, out of nowhere "Sarkranis reports you for violating guild hospitality". I think I manage to blink before "Mikiri reports you for violating guild hospitality, some togs throw you outside on the ground and ban you for 2 hours".

Seconds later "Mikiri just arrived" "Mikiri gestures at you" "You feel a heart link" "Mikiri just went through some double doors" and anyone who isn't an idiot can guess what transpired next.

So, it seems like this random aggressor was making some concerted efforts at being that way. And the rest is pretty much known.

>>I understand the whining (it's you, after all) but please don't grossly misrepresent the situation here.

That's what you did, honestly. I'm just setting the record straight since you care to air your dirty laundry to the world.

>>You started this fight with this character and it had nothing to do with either the boards or my other characters.

Again, lies, oh my GOD lies. Mikiri's totally unwaranted actions really had me baffled beyond belief. Then when you came here and posted it was one of your characters, it suddenly made a ton of sense. And that's a sad thing, knowing someone's just mistreating you in the game who also trolls 98% of all posts you make on the forums.

Maybe you RP with Cael, I don't know, but knowing how your 'other random characters I have no idea are you until you tell me' behave towards me, I don't even care to find out. That's why when you try to nitpick something I gweth because I used an improper definition or THE KNOWN GAME LORE happens to be slightly different, I totally ignore you.

I'm going to start doing that on the forums too, but when you come here and just spew lies, I simply cannot resist calling you out on your falsehoods. Makes me wonder what that "Rev. Reene" you sig with is supposed to mean. Surely it's not 'reverend', as i'm fairly certain those types lead a life of pious truth. Lying on a video game (that isn't even 'video' to be technical) is just silly.

I guess it could be 'revered', which is just more narcissistic self-adoration. I think that's a better guess.

P.S. I'm sure if any of the other people in this story read the boards and saw this and cared to confirm that's how things went down, it'd be pretty interesting. But seeing as most of them are your friends, some of them are your vicims, and half of them are your alts, I don't see that happening.

P.P.S. You know, I really had my heart set on killing mikiri for her actions, but now that I think about it, why give you the satisfaction? Now that I know it's you, and you just adore manipulating people, you'd probably be sitting back laughing at the murder fine you managed to draw out of me with your griefer-empath alt. I think i'll just ignore you on that char too, and if you want to continue, then maybe one of those 'no interaction' things would better serve to end your pestering.

...until you pull out another alt, i'm sure, but i'll burn that bridge when I come to it.
Re: Regarding nissa's binding(troll derail) 07/06/2009 08:35 AM CDT
>>Teehee, Trazier rage it must be my birthday.

Teehee, Mattsmomma trolling, it must be a day ending in 'y'.

You top Ragran's list, that's gotta be some powerful stupid from you right there. Congrats. :)
Re: Regarding nissa's binding(troll derail) 07/06/2009 09:04 AM CDT
Man, I was torn on which side to take on this one too.

>>You top Ragran's list, that's gotta be some powerful stupid from you right there.

I'm perfectly ok with being on a list of people that have at any time disagreed with Ragran on the forums, especially considering half the people on said list he praises endlessly because he doesn't know what their account names are. lol

~Arwinia

The Empath spellbook is a riddle trapped in an enigma hidden inside a lot of suck.-Armifer
Re: Regarding nissa's binding(troll derail) 07/06/2009 09:24 AM CDT
::Thread Closed:: Please take the arguement the Conflicts boards.

Board Monitor Tnegad

Please email questions or comments to MOD-Tnegad@play.net, Senior Board Monitor Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net, or Board Supervisor Cecco at DR-Cecco@play.net. Thank you.