Requirement Tweaks 11/11/2009 10:34 AM CST
As someone whose cleric is approaching 90th circle, I cringe a little, because I think Flavius was almost to the point where Teaching would slow him down anyway. Any idea how many ranks of Teaching this will require as of 90th?

I understand why the tweak is happening- and we have already been told before that our basic Teaching requirement is going to stay so with that I would like to request some improvements for Clerical Teaching. I really don't want them so much as I want a way to make Teaching more practical, easier to learn and more fun.

I have said it before but Preaching should be changed. It shouldn't conflict with Teaching and should teach Teaching very well. I probably have used Preach once in the last 12 months because it just conflicts with Teaching and doesn't give much back.

Or another suggestion I have made was a cleric only teaching option for Preach- it would teach Teaching and Scholarship at a higher rate, with a small amount of vocals, but otherwise would work like Teaching.

Or increase the learning rates to both Student and Teacher for each Vigil link.

Increase the Teaching experience for each Pray.

Have reciting Prayer scrolls teach teaching.

Heck let clerics appraise altars work like appraising the art in Crossing- except have it teach Teaching and Scholarship instead.

I can certainly manage to learn Teaching with Flavius, but it doesn't seem natural, and there is a reason that Teaching lags far behind Scholarship and Appraisal- Flavius has more First Aid than teaching. Other ways to learn Teaching, especially ones that don't rely on quantities of skilled listeners would really help.
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/11/2009 10:42 AM CST
I'd like a lower teaching requirement with a higher pick your own primary lore requirement. For a long time my schol was ahead of my teaching. Now my mech is poised to surpass my teaching and scholarship.

To me, having one of the highest, if not the highest teaching requirements of all guilds is silly when the guild is lore secondary.

But that's just my two cents.
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/11/2009 11:44 AM CST
I'm well past the teaching reqs for 150 now so this change won't bother me much but why not lower both the 70-100 and 100-150 teaching reqs? IMO Clerics teaching reqs are ridiculously high, 10 ranks isn't going to change it much.
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/11/2009 12:49 PM CST
>>I'm well past the teaching reqs for 150 now so this change won't bother me much but why not lower both the 70-100 and 100-150 teaching reqs? IMO Clerics teaching reqs are ridiculously high, 10 ranks isn't going to change it much. >>

This was my initial thought as well. I still don't understand why we have such a high teaching requirement. Personally I'd rather have a new lore skill to train much like mm's did with astrology, and then have the teaching requirement lowered severely in lieu of the new skills requirements.

Either way, I don't really care. This is just more incentive for me not to circle, as teaching is probably my least favorite skill.

I'm very curious what the difference is between cleric's scholarship/teaching ranks. Maybe if enough of us can show the GM's how much easier scholarship is to train than teaching, they'll either:
1. Allow teaching to be trained through a compendium-like source.
2. Notice how absurd our teaching requirements actually are and swap them with scholarship.
3. Notice how many of us have higher scholarship than teaching, and change the reqs.

I'll start:
321 scholarship :: 211 teaching.
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/11/2009 02:23 PM CST
Thanks for the update Grejuva

Nikpack

The gods are jerks. No, really.
-Armifer
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/11/2009 02:32 PM CST
<<I'm very curious what the difference is between cleric's scholarship/teaching ranks.

Not even 50 ranks difference for me.
Teaching: 314 72.45% clear
Scholarship: 363 03.58% clear
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/11/2009 04:32 PM CST
My Scholarship is actually only 5 above my teaching 605 and 600. I would go for like a lore average over teaching req though.

Total Ranks Displayed: 2129
Lore Average: 304
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/11/2009 04:42 PM CST
Roughly 270 Teaching and 360 Scholarship- around 90 ranks.
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/11/2009 04:56 PM CST
In answer to your original question Flavius, you'd need 280 ranks for 90th.
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/11/2009 05:27 PM CST
Yay me- get to spend more time sitting around Teaching.
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/11/2009 05:36 PM CST
Not sure how many circles behind I am in teaching but even one more reason to keep on ignoring teaching.

Crory, da illiterate
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/11/2009 06:36 PM CST
>I'd like a lower teaching requirement with a higher pick your own primary lore requirement.

>why not lower both the 70-100 and 100-150 teaching reqs? IMO Clerics teaching reqs are ridiculously high

Agreed.

I think the real question is, why does the Bard guild have the teaching perk when it has zero teaching reqs?

For those that don't know, Bards can teach any skill in combat. I mean, even Warrior Mages can teach TM in combat, and what's their req?
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/11/2009 07:58 PM CST
Not everyone has more scholarship than teaching. Swapping from teaching to scholarship as a requirement is not really an option. It's only recently (and when I say recently I mean in the past 5-6 years) that scholarship was even remotely trainable. Those of us who did most of our teaching before that time would really suffer from such a change. Though admittedly, maybe I'm the only one :P

The best option is to make teaching more trainable, not to change the requirements. 520 for 150th is high for a secondary skill, but it's honestly not as absurd as people are making it out to be. I mean our weapon requirement is 620, as is the weapon requirement in pretty much every weapon secondary guild. Every other weapon secondary guild is required to learn at least 2 weapons, except us. Our teaching requirement is high because we only need 1 weapon.

Options which allow you to train teaching without relying on the quality of student would be a huge start.
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/11/2009 08:10 PM CST
Teaching: 377
Scholarship: 369

...so... negative eight? That's probably not proving anybody's point. Nevermind.
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/11/2009 08:25 PM CST
I agree with Terk, switching to scholarship would be just as bad.

I think the best idea is lowering 70-100 to 3 and 100-150 to 4. This would put the total ranks at 150 at 490 which is a much more reasonable lowering than 10 ranks and still a heafty amount.
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/11/2009 11:17 PM CST
Seg has 396 scholarship and 303 teaching

Basically, this leads me to make the push for 100th BEFORE this tweak happens. 320 is significantly higher than 305 for Seg, considering how rarely he trains it.

Segmere
Shadow Priest, Baron's Own Militia

"The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep." ~WC Fields
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/11/2009 11:51 PM CST
I don't foresee a real change happening to the Teaching requirement (as opposed to just eliminating fractional reqs as cleanly as possible like we are doing now) unless Theosophy comes to life along with its own requirement.

As for the suggestions related to Teaching itself, consider them noted. I too would like to do something more substantial with Preach.

GM Grejuva
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/11/2009 11:59 PM CST
Certainly I get your point Smegul, and I would imagine post 400 or so in Scholarship that Teaching in most ways becomes easier to learn than Scholarship.

I certainly am not advocating a switch to Scholarship though that would personally benefit me. I also recognize that skill requirements are as much a method of slowing down advancement as they are as some symbol of accomplishment. What has always been irritating to me is how opposite the two skills are that hold most clerics back from circling- primary weapon and teaching. It is rare that both can be learned effectively at the same time. Compare that to War Mages that can learn their primary circling skills all in combat, or Moon Mages who can learn them all out of combat.

So yes I think it would be reasonable for Teaching requirements to be lowered, but I recognize that isn't likely to happen. Instead I think there should be more 'clericky' ways of learning teaching, which would follow the trend of making more skills more readily trainable.
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/12/2009 12:03 AM CST
Grejuva

One of my favorite items I would like to point out- the slab. I don't know if every cleric has even experienced it but I love the slab. But I think it both needs to be updated and perhaps expanded upon. I think the RT should go down, at a minimum or the experience increased.

And then I would like to see slabs or slab like devices in some other locations. I think Temple of Darkness would be a nice place for one.
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/12/2009 06:16 AM CST
>>I think the real question is, why does the Bard guild have the teaching perk when it has zero teaching reqs?

I mean I guess I can see it because they're lore prime, but I don't know why non-WM magic primes can't teach TM as well. Keep most of the current combat teaching options (adding in TM and Perception), but expand it like so:

Lore Prime: Can teach primary-tertiary noncombat skills in combat
Lore Secondary: Can teach primary-secondary noncombat skills in combat
Lore Tertiary: Can teach primary noncombat skills in combat

At the very least those guilds with hard teaching reqs should have their in-combat teaching options expanded.

~Thilan
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/12/2009 08:35 AM CST
Teaching doesn't matter much to Ryeka since she was pretty much a teacher's pet as a baby cleric- Much to the chagrin of a few of the older clerics who had trained teaching only to level! ;)

But I have a couple of clerics that I'm training up as warriors rather than scholars. This change will be a little hard on them- but no worries. Adapt and overcome!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/12/2009 11:15 AM CST
<<Instead I think there should be more 'clericky' ways of learning teaching, which would follow the trend of making more skills more readily trainable.>>

I just want to pop in and point out that the issues with learning Teaching extend beyond the Cleric guild, so they should probably be addressed more globally. While Cleric-specific methods are certainly encouraged, everyone needs ways to gain experience at a decent rate and independently of other characters. Like textbook writing.

Since technical reasons were cited as the motivation for the adjustment, should other guilds with similar fractional requirements expect to see similar adjustments, or is this specifically a Clerical technicality?

Thanks,
-Death's Nemesis Karthor
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/12/2009 12:15 PM CST
>but I don't know why non-WM magic primes can't teach TM as well.

It's both from the era before anyone thought of skillset perks (which I almost miss, some skillset perks get very "meta"), and the era when warmages were the orphans of DR design and consequently got thrown a lot of bones.

WMs really don't need this particular bone anymore.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/12/2009 12:18 PM CST
>>It's both from the era before anyone thought of skillset perks (which I almost miss, some skillset perks get very "meta"), and the era when warmages were the orphans of DR design and consequently got thrown a lot of bones.

Except teaching was completely rewritten yet this stayed the same.
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/12/2009 12:36 PM CST
>>Since technical reasons were cited as the motivation for the adjustment, should other guilds with similar fractional requirements expect to see similar adjustments, or is this specifically a Clerical technicality?

They should, yes, although not in the immediate future.

GM Grejuva
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/24/2009 10:18 AM CST
Just a heads-up that the aforementioned requirement tweak is live in Platinum. ETA for Prime/TF is mid-December.

GM Grejuva
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/24/2009 10:25 AM CST
No need to rush those out Grejuva. July would be fine.
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/24/2009 11:33 PM CST
>No need to rush those out Grejuva. July would be fine.

Seconded.. though at this point I should really stop being a lazy dwarf and bang out the last 6 or 8 ranks of ME I need for 100th

Segmere
Shadow Priest, Baron's Own Militia

"The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep." ~WC Fields
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/24/2009 11:56 PM CST
stop being a lazy dwarf

Hey I resemble that remark!
Re: Requirement Tweaks 11/25/2009 04:46 PM CST
We're not lazy just more efficient.

Crory
Re: Requirement Tweaks 12/01/2009 01:15 PM CST
I am a fan of all tweaks thus far. Harsaah.

Except HULP. I still want to be able to cast it in a safe room. </3 WM's can vertigo me. I want to HULP them.

Hulp me hulp them.

- Tyrun
Re: Requirement Tweaks 12/01/2009 02:02 PM CST
Welcome back Tyrun (sung to the music of 'Welcome back Cotter')