Paladins and Clerics 06/26/2014 06:18 PM CDT
There has been an interesting conversation in the Paladin forums about the issues with Clerics and Paladins both trying to fit into many of the same niches.

I'm curious what clerics feel the cleric/paladin relationship should be, both RP and mechanical.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Paladins and Clerics 06/27/2014 05:04 PM CDT
I'll attempt to stay true to the question at hand, but my response will require some background information for context.

I recently (Within the last 3 months) got a very long time friend from another text based game (where RP was enforced strictly by both the staff and the player base) that went out of business to try playing DR. He chose a Paladin (eventually) for many reasons, two of which were a desire to be helpful in some way to other players and as a complementing character to my Cleric.

We discussed what it meant at that time to be a Cleric and Paladin team. I described Paladins as being the true martial arm of the faith, but beholden to the chivalric code which also happens to fall into Chadatru's specific wheelhouse.

I described Clerics as the voices of the Immortals to the faithful, and for mechanics purposes also trained in the militant arts but with a different focus. Magic versus Armor in this case, or Offense vs Defense in simplistic terms.

He chose to be a S'kra Mur and has patterned his roleplay according to the racial bias of Peri'el, Ushnish and Hav'roth. Shai is a traditionalist Prydaen, who if it wasn't for the RAILROAD mechanics of the Cleric's guild, would strictly worship the Three of Prydaen faith. However, since this is the world we live in, my character has to bow her head to the Thirteen. I typically try to justify this as simply thinking that Tenemlor is striking a bargin with Murrula about who is the caretaker of my character's soul, coming to harmonious terms which allows me to use Murrula's Flames, etc. Whatever.

Our religious philosophies don't come up very much. Well my character is mouthy about it, but his really isn't. We don't have too much in common really, although I'd like to think my character is becoming part of his Ru'at. Whatever, not what you inquired of.

The Paladins are the enforcers of the Church policy, the Clerics are the creators of said policy in my book. Both have a direct connection to the Immortals or whatever gods they bow their head to, but someone has to do the paperwork. If I had to organize a pilgrimage, I'd want Paladins for martial protection and Clerics to preach and lead in worship. Does this mean a Paladin can't get on the pulpit and orate? Of course not, but I'd think the thrust of the guilds should differ in that manner.

Hopefully somewhere in this rambling pile I gave a somewhat insightful response, big tog.

If you act like prey, do not blame me for acting like the predator I am.
DR_Shaidval @ AIM