The 'Cult' of so-and-so 03/06/2010 07:56 AM CST
Is it correct to speak in-game of the 'cult of Rutilor' and so forth? In terms of, groups of worshippers who primarily worship a certain god?

Is this term used in-game anywhere?

Dermott, player of

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

- Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
Re: The 'Cult' of so-and-so 03/06/2010 02:08 PM CST
Not exactly your question, I know, but...

The 'Cult' of something or someone means the practice itself, not just the group doing it. Which is to say, 'the cult of Rutilor' is synonymous with 'the worship of Rutilor.' Perfectly legitimate term to use even if there is no such organized group.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: The 'Cult' of so-and-so 03/06/2010 02:37 PM CST
I can't recall anyone using the term before but I encourage you to start a new tradition.
Re: The 'Cult' of so-and-so 03/06/2010 10:39 PM CST
>>I can't recall anyone using the term before but I encourage you to start a new tradition.

The only time I have noticed the word cult used alongside DR religion are the Cult of the World Dragon and the Cult of Dergati. Both seem to fit well enough, because I don't think I'm alone in typically associating the word cult with a 'bad' group of people. The word cult does not MEAN that, it's just kind of the way society uses it. But that's an entirely different story. Anyway, here's where it stands out to me IG

You get a slim hammered bronze sistrum in a bloodwood frame from inside a salt-stained duffel bag studded with fish skulls which is in a secure vault.
>l sist
The sistrum has a shady history, being known for its use in the rites of the cult of Dergati. Legend holds that it was originally created by the Bone Elves plotting to assassinate Queen Morganae, who used the rattle to signal each other under the guise of music. It consists of an oval frame on a slender handle, with metal cross pieces on which are threaded rings or cymbals. The musicians shake the instrument to produce a rhythmic jangling beat.

- Terra
Re: The 'Cult' of so-and-so 03/07/2010 12:37 AM CST
What was Luceano promoting again? My memory is just terrible with this stuff nowadays, but he did a good job of developing his own perverse cult.
Re: The 'Cult' of so-and-so 03/07/2010 12:47 AM CST
Church of Aldauth.

Cult is a perfectly IC term.

Rev. Reene

"Oh, I'm not omniscient -- but I know a lot."
- Mephistopheles, Faust