Fae, and us. 09/27/2006 10:03 PM CDT
So, I know the fae are cursed; I've also read book(s?) that say Huldah created some breeds.

So, how do we really stand on them? Cause I'd like to be able to summon one of these, for harness regen or something:

>A tiny fae creature no bigger than a child's hand zips up in front of your face on irridescent wings. It stares into your eyes, practically nose-to-nose with you for just a heartbeat, and then vanishes back to the place from whence it came, wherever that might be.
Re: Fae, and us. 09/28/2006 01:43 AM CDT
Not all Fae are cursed.in the desc. for faenella it says she created nyads and dryads.I am thinking the blood one near leth are just having a bad day.I also know that they dont app as cursed or evil.I dont think we should have anything prevent us from summoning fae .
Re: Fae, and us. 09/28/2006 03:34 AM CDT
>I dont think we should have anything prevent us from summoning fae .

I'd much prefer summoning something a little more terrifying than a dryad, though.

And Aetherie would shoot me if I didn't mention just how cool it would be if we could summon jinni (the orginal Fae, createad from smokeless flame), specifically an afreet (or Ifrit, depending on the source).

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

Take these chances
Place them in a box until a quieter time
Lights down, you up and die
Re: Fae, and us. 09/28/2006 11:21 AM CDT
>And Aetherie would shoot me if I didn't mention just how cool it would be if we could summon jinni (the orginal Fae, createad from smokeless flame), specifically an afreet (or Ifrit, depending on the source).

I know they're evil spirits, but they're also tied strongly to fire; wouldn't that make them more WM inclined summonables? And, in all the stuff I've read, they're evil, or at least malignant.

Personally, I like the random atmosphere messages for the pixies in the fallow fields.
Re: Fae, and us. 09/28/2006 04:02 PM CDT
>I know they're evil spirits, but they're also tied strongly to fire; wouldn't that make them more WM inclined summonables?

War Mages can't summon spirits, period. If they get a summoning spell/ability, it would be from elemental planes, not spirit planes. As a Jinn, efreet fall solidly into the spirit reals, not elemental.

>And, in all the stuff I've read, they're evil, or at least malignant.

So is 30% of the Elanthian pantheon...

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

Take these chances
Re: Fae, and us. 09/28/2006 05:02 PM CDT
>So is 30% of the Elanthian pantheon...

Technically it would be 33.3, unless you're factoring in the non-13 deities and the all-father as well, which I don't.

>War Mages can't summon spirits, period. If they get a summoning spell/ability, it would be from elemental planes, not spirit planes. As a Jinn, efreet fall solidly into the spirit reals, not elemental.

Answered the question though.
Re: Fae, and us. 09/28/2006 05:10 PM CDT
>Technically it would be 33.3, unless you're factoring in the non-13 deities and the all-father as well, which I don't.

30% was a rough rounding, since not all the dark dieties are malignant, while some of the neutral ones (Damaris and Meraud) can be. And yes, I was counting all of the elanthian pantheon, including all-father (which is the combination of the 39, so not really a diety of itself, but a faith) the racial gods, and the world dragon (malignant? no, just plain evil).

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

Take these chances
Re: Fae, and us. 09/28/2006 06:40 PM CDT
Geni, Jhinn, and Efreet all manifest from the Plane of Fire in near every other fantasy mythos I've come across.

Re: Fae, and us. 09/28/2006 07:24 PM CDT
>>War Mages can't summon spirits, period. If they get a summoning spell/ability, it would be from elemental planes, not spirit planes. As a Jinn, efreet fall solidly into the spirit reals, not elemental.

I wouldn't split hairs so much on terminology, especially when we're talking about extraplanar critters. Spirit as the immaterial agency of a person and spirit as a supernatural being are entirely different concepts.

A Warrior Mage could be said to conjure spirits from the Elemental Plane of Fire, just as the Nomads of the Arid Steppe talk a whole lot about the "spirits of the steppe." Bards have a funky relationship with the Naga, which are spirits of sound, and so on.

-Armifer
"...and we shall be able to see the heavens more clearly, the heavens which, though they still may be cruel, nonetheless will not deny to us their eternal beauties." -Giovanni Boccaccio
Re: Fae, and us. 09/28/2006 10:44 PM CDT
>I wouldn't split hairs so much on terminology, especially when we're talking about extraplanar critters. Spirit as the immaterial agency of a person and spirit as a supernatural being are entirely different concepts.
>A Warrior Mage could be said to conjure spirits from the Elemental Plane of Fire, just as the Nomads of the Arid Steppe talk a whole lot about the "spirits of the steppe." Bards have a funky relationship with the Naga, which are spirits of sound, and so on.

I have to disagree. "Of Spirits and Spirituality" book makes a clear distinction between elementals and true spirits.

"A thousand definitions exist for the word "spirit," most of them simply incorrect and used by commoners to explain away that which they do not understand. It is used to reference true spirits, certainly, but also broadly categorizes such separate entities as elementals and familiars, and in extreme cases those shadows from the Plane of Probability."

"The first and arguably most important classes within Insubstantial Fauna are those from the elemental realms of Air and Aether. These creatures are most often confused with spirits, and until the last century, even the most learned scholars used the words interchangeably."

"Aether creatures most especially should not be confused with spirits, though being thought of as spirits is a common misconception. It is also unofficially used as a gauge as to whether the speaker is one of the ignorant masses or a learned individual. To impress scholars in conversations on the issue -- or to at least prevent personal embarrassment -- it would be best to avoid referring to classification aetherium creatures as even remotely being spiritual."

"Of the other elements, Fire beings are occasionally confused for spirits by ignorant woodsmen or druidic travelers as a way of explaining nature's courses."

As for the efreeti and such... When I think of efreet, I think of "demon" and "malignant spirit", not "fire elemental". Yes, a lot of mythological beings are classified as elemental in other places, but that's only because the Divine and the Elements are often intertwined in those. In DR's setting, however; creatures like jinn, efreeti and even marids would fall under the "true spirit" category. A demon made of fire does not have to be elemental, just as Murrula's Flames and Aesrela Everild are not elemental.

>>Geni, Jhinn, and Efreet all manifest from the Plane of Fire in near every other fantasy mythos I've come across.

And in the original mythos, Jinn are as much fire elementals as humans are earth elementals.

~Aeth
Re: Fae, and us. 09/28/2006 10:49 PM CDT
>I wouldn't split hairs so much on terminology, especially when we're talking about extraplanar critters. Spirit as the immaterial agency of a person and spirit as a supernatural being are entirely different concepts.
>A Warrior Mage could be said to conjure spirits from the Elemental Plane of Fire, just as the Nomads of the Arid Steppe talk a whole lot about the "spirits of the steppe." Bards have a funky relationship with the Naga, which are spirits of sound, and so on.

Love your work Censored, but I have to strongly disagree on this point. I'm not splitting hairs... Jinn are spirits, supernatural spirits, not extraplanar beings.

The original mythology of Jinn (singular and plural spelling) were spirits of vanished ancient peoples who acted during the night and disappeared with the first light of dawn...

The Arabic Efreeti (or Ifrit) in common mythology are jinn spirits that embody fire.

We aren't talking planes of existance, unless it's the void, we are talking spirits of our ancestors. This is clerical domain...

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

Take these chances
Re: Fae, and us. 09/29/2006 12:20 AM CDT
>>I have to disagree. "Of Spirits and Spirituality" book makes a clear distinction between elementals and true spirits.

There's absolutely a distinction between Holy based spirits and Elementals, which the esteemed Professor Ermale goes on at length about. If I gave off the impression I was saying there are no such thing as "True Spirits," then I miscommunicated my point. To put it another way: While there are Holy based spirits, not everything that is called "a spirit," either in real life or in the messaging of DragonRealms, is considered a Holy based spirit.

I won't argue whether or not this specific case should be in DR a Fire Elemental, "True Spirit," or something to spread on toast. I simply wished to point out with my original post that such arguments need to be more elaborate than, "it's a spirit." Neither all NPCs in DragonRealms nor real world writers pay heed to Professor Ermale's professional jargon.

-Armifer
"...and we shall be able to see the heavens more clearly, the heavens which, though they still may be cruel, nonetheless will not deny to us their eternal beauties." -Giovanni Boccaccio
Re: Fae, and us. 09/29/2006 12:43 AM CDT
I should tack on to the end of my bit about them being fire elementals. instead it should read "in nearly every fantasy mythos i've come across."

But yes, wikipedia is our friend.

Re: Fae, and us. 09/29/2006 02:59 AM CDT
>But yes, wikipedia is our friend.

On the contrary, wikipedia will lie, as there is no official researcher verifying the entries. I prefer the hard covers on the bookshelf... you know, the ones with bibliographies and actual research. Show some sense and quit trolling.

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

Take these chances
Re: Fae, and us. 09/29/2006 05:42 AM CDT
I posted an Idea a long time ago about us being able to summon ancestor spirits. i will see if i can dig out my notes and post again.I do hoowever believe we should be able to summon the fae if we could come up with useful things that they actually did for us.
Re: Fae, and us. 09/29/2006 07:37 PM CDT
>>On the contrary, wikipedia will lie, as there is no official researcher verifying the entries. I prefer the hard covers on the bookshelf... you know, the ones with bibliographies and actual research. Show some sense and quit trolling.<<

Keep your snarky comments to yourself, I had no malice in my previous post. Had I wanted there to be, I would have left no uncertainties.

Wikipedia has some great generalities provided you don't delve too deeply and take the messages as gospel. If I was majoring in a PhD in mythology, I wouldn't look to wikipedia as my primary study material, and neither would anyone else with an iota of sense. Had I realized we were going to be having a mensa conversation revolving around a text based game, I would have brought my hat.

Re: Fae, and us. 09/29/2006 09:50 PM CDT
>Had I realized we were going to be having a mensa conversation revolving around a text based game, I would have brought my hat.

Is it tin foil? Mine broke, I need a replacement.
Re: Fae, and us. 09/29/2006 10:26 PM CDT
>Is it tin foil? Mine broke, I need a replacement.

That explains a lot... aliens are possessing Ucu, obviously. We should all go visit him and exorcise the demons. I'll bring the tequila, I hear aliens hate the stuff.

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

Take these chances
Re: Fae, and us. 09/29/2006 10:27 PM CDT
>Keep your snarky comments to yourself, I had no malice in my previous post. Had I wanted there to be, I would have left no uncertainties.

My bad, I thought you were intuiting I used a non-verifiable source. Not sure how I made that mistake...

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

Take these chances
Re: Fae, and us. 09/29/2006 10:45 PM CDT
>>I know they're evil spirits, but they're also tied strongly to fire; wouldn't that make them more WM inclined summonables? And, in all the stuff I've read, they're evil, or at least malignant.

You would be too if some total stranger yahoo kidnapped you, yanked you across the Planes, and enslaved you to their will for a few hours. I mean, the poor guy could've been with a smoking-hot Efreet hottie and having a good time and here you come killing his game.

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Fae, and us. 09/29/2006 10:50 PM CDT
>You would be too if some total stranger yahoo kidnapped you, yanked you across the Planes, and enslaved you to their will for a few hours. I mean, the poor guy could've been with a smoking-hot Efreet hottie and having a good time and here you come killing his game.

Cute, but I'd doubt holy summoning would include enslavement so much as a bargain.

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

Take these chances
Re: Fae, and us. 09/29/2006 10:50 PM CDT
>>I posted an Idea a long time ago about us being able to summon ancestor spirits. i will see if i can dig out my notes and post again.I do hoowever believe we should be able to summon the fae if we could come up with useful things that they actually did for us.

Empaths can summon the Fae, but they're sort of like walking pop quizzes. If you don't pass the test, they don't help you.

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Fae, and us. 09/30/2006 12:11 AM CDT
>That explains a lot... aliens are possessing Ucu, obviously. We should all go visit him and exorcise the demons. I'll bring the tequila, I hear aliens hate the stuff.

In all honesty, lately I preffer the cheapest beer I can find. Cause I'm cheap, and I'm not looking for A) burning, B) flavor.

Naty light: 7.53 / 12 pack
Anything else: not .50 cents per beer (before tax and liquor tax).
Re: Fae, and us. 10/02/2006 07:32 PM CDT
>But yes, wikipedia is our friend.

>On the contrary, wikipedia will lie, as there is no official researcher verifying the entries. I prefer the hard covers on the bookshelf... you know, the ones with bibliographies and actual research. Show some sense and quit trolling.

>Thrall of Dergati,
>Heroiklim Zortal

Wikipedia is perhaps the finest example of stupidity in action since MTV.

Love,

Father Ainandil, Cleric of Saemaus

>Korsik says, "OMG. Morons on the gweth."
>Nickels says, "They're hiding. They're in their magical boxes."
>Ainandil cackles!
>Gridaksma says, "Can't explain, won't apologize."
Re: Fae, and us. 10/02/2006 10:55 PM CDT
>>Wikipedia is perhaps the finest example of stupidity in action since MTV.

LOL

Oh my...I guess my irony tuner is really honed in today.

-Teeklin

"You take people, you put them on a journey, you give them peril, you find out who they really are. If there's any kind of fiction better than that, I don't know what it is." -Joss Whedon