Soul Attrition idea 01/19/2016 08:07 PM CST
To put it bluntly, lots of people hate this spell. They think its dirty or cheap, an I win button, it following you around unless you get into a safe room or the caster moves, and the inability to be raised if you die from it stinks. At the high end I can see their point if its used against someone weaker and rips their soul out in two-three pulses. I know it has let me win plenty of spars when the footing was too equal and just be a whiff fest but have never seen it completely annihilate somebody.

That being said in my mind its going to be one of the top offenders that GMs would want to look at when they ever decide to "nerf" clerics.

If that did happen that would leave us being the only magic prime guild without a dfa spell that can be used on living things/people.

My suggestion is if they do rip the guts out of the spell then instead make soul attrition a meta-spell for harm horde.

In essence causing Harm Horde to detect the "spirit" of an entity and letting the cleric manipulate the waves of holy energy being released in a way to cause physical damage on everyday living things. Would also be a reason to actually get Harm Horde for when you fight undead/cursed but doesn't pigeonhole you into that specific caveat of hunting.

Just a random thought that sounded fun in my head.
Re: Soul Attrition idea 02/21/2016 09:08 AM CST
My go to AoE is FoU. HH is already costs 4 slots, and I wouldn't pick up a metaspell to let me use it on the living.

I'd rather see Soul Attrition reworked to altogether new. I don't think Clerics are suffering for a lack of cool toys to play with, but agree that this one should just go.
Re: Soul Attrition idea 02/21/2016 03:07 PM CST

I agree with you on FoU, it's good for training and main reason I wouldn't spend the four slots on HH since its a niche spell even though I like the mechanics of it.