Toying with a concept of a AOE spell 09/28/2009 06:00 PM CDT
Curious if anyone cares for an idea I had rolling around in my head for a new concept for an AOE- basically something along the idea of a magic minefield(oh we would have a better name- I like Havroth for this one), that a cleric would cast on an area, and trigger when desired. Would be an AOE TM spell.

This wouldn't be necessarily the go to spell for regular TM learning or even regular mobs, but what I am thinking it would be useful for planning ahead:
a) During a lull in creatures, being able to pre-cast it on the room for when there is a big influx
b) similarly to using Halo, but another escape key if getting overwhelmed.
c) being able to invoke it if blocked by HULP or EM.

Just trying to flesh the concept out.
Re: Toying with a concept of a AOE spell 09/28/2009 06:13 PM CDT
I'm not clear on what the spell is actually supposed to do.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/huldahspal/flyingcompany.png
Re: Toying with a concept of a AOE spell 09/28/2009 06:14 PM CDT
I think some 'minefield' type of spells that could be triggered at any time would be awesome.

Vinjince Rexem'lor
Re: Toying with a concept of a AOE spell 09/28/2009 06:15 PM CDT
>I think some 'minefield' type of spells that could be triggered at any time would be awesome.

I would choose it in a heart beat.
Re: Toying with a concept of a AOE spell 10/02/2009 12:36 AM CDT
Sort of like Dragon's Breath, but you buff the area rather than yourself and you use up all the charges at once?

That would be fun, depending on how much damage the spell did or if it had any useful side effects. I would propose knocking things down or rooting things in place since clerics don't really have any spells that do those two things effectively (does Mal still make things kneel?).
Re: Toying with a concept of a AOE spell 10/02/2009 04:02 PM CDT
>(does Mal still make things kneel?).

No.

As to knocking things down or rooting them in place...
See SICK & PS -- not, not AOE; yes easy to cast very quickly and with no stress on mana

Segmere
Shadow Priest, Baron's Own Militia

"The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep." ~WC Fields
Re: Toying with a concept of a AOE spell 10/02/2009 09:38 PM CDT
>See SICK & PS -- not, not AOE; yes easy to cast very quickly and with no stress on mana

Except Sick can't be cast on undead!

I dunno, I find I can't really spam them out very super fast on at-level critters, I generally have to go up to 15ish mana for PS to be useful on resuscitants, but I think that's mostly because my disc / charisma are lower than they "should" be. Resuscitants also just have reasonably high magic resistance I suppose.
Re: Toying with a concept of a AOE spell 10/03/2009 04:20 AM CDT
>Except Sick can't be cast on undead!

No, but PS = immobilization; last I checked that's probably just as effective/more effective than kneeling

In general, I find that it's very easy to land a vicious stun with a min-prep PS at-level, and take a little longer for a second cast and can immobilize. In fact, this works perfectly well because stunning has a worse unbalancing effect than immobile at the moment (could we get that looked at? heh).

FYI: 50 disc/50 char, usually Vigil up when I know I'm going to be needing PS, hunt shadowbeasts/basilisks/greater sluaghs/greater hounds as far as undead go for now.

Segmere
Shadow Priest, Baron's Own Militia

"The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep." ~WC Fields
Re: Toying with a concept of a AOE spell 10/03/2009 04:23 AM CDT
Y'all should pick up some glowing fragments for PS. :D

Rev. Reene

"Shard by shard she rearranges the world.
It looks the same, she says, but it is not.
It looks as they expect, but it is not."
Re: Toying with a concept of a AOE spell 10/03/2009 01:52 PM CDT
Why would you have to worry about a 15 mana spell if you can hunt resuscitants?
Re: Toying with a concept of a AOE spell 10/04/2009 02:48 PM CDT
Use an OM orb.

Cast bobs fiery death.

>A ghostly image of your orb shoots into the ground

Trigger bfd (well that was a poor choice of spell name).

>Multiple blasts erupt spewing holy fire across the entire room.

Could have spell strength determined by cast power, and number of blasts determined by orbs cast power or current mana pool. Don't lose the orb, but it drains the mana out of it. Prefferably it could blast a critter multiple times (have 5 charges and 2 critters? Blast 'em both twice, only losing 1 charge rather than 3).

I'm hoping that by basing it on an item in your possesion the GMs could make it move rooms with you, rather than you having to recast it any time you moved, given the new emphasis on mobile hunting.

Though aside from the remote trigger aspect, it's basically FoU; perhaps you're better off asking for an OM based version of FoU?
Re: Toying with a concept of a AOE spell 10/04/2009 04:03 PM CDT
Thanks for the tweak to the concept Ucu. I just have doubts we are going to get any real offensive capability for our OM orb.
Re: Toying with a concept of a AOE spell 10/04/2009 05:09 PM CDT
>Thanks for the tweak to the concept Ucu. I just have doubts we are going to get any real offensive capability for our OM orb.

A shame, I love the thing.
Re: Toying with a concept of a AOE spell 10/04/2009 05:32 PM CDT
>Thanks for the tweak to the concept Ucu. I just have doubts we are going to get any real offensive capability for our OM orb.

For the most part, it was flavor idea, other than tieing the effect to an item on your person; it could just as easily be tied to your person ala DB.

Prep Invoke wrath of Havroshy, cast, and plead havroshy or something to invoke.

Although halo is, technically, an offensive application.
Re: Toying with a concept of a AOE spell 10/04/2009 09:03 PM CDT
a thought. why wouldnt favor orbs from differnt gods have different abilities? shot in the dark!

Verbal
Re: Toying with a concept of a AOE spell 10/04/2009 09:24 PM CDT
>a thought. why wouldnt favor orbs from differnt gods have different abilities? shot in the dark!

Mostly because the GMs have way too much on thier plates as is developing 'simple' spells.

One that had 40 different effects depending on who you orbed last (not including the non 39) would, simply, be impossible.

I like the idea of a spell that works differently depending on which god you cast it at, but very frankly, it's impossible in the current DR. Partially because we have, I think 50+ dieties, and partially because all of those dieties are so compartmentalized and different that one would be a defensive bonus while another would be a combat bonus while a third would be a magic bonus, a fourth armor bonus, a fifth stealth, and so on and so on.
Re: Toying with a concept of a AOE spell 10/04/2009 09:34 PM CDT
<<One that had 40 different effects depending on who you orbed last (not including the non 39) would, simply, be impossible.
<<I like the idea of a spell that works differently depending on which god you cast it at, but very frankly, it's impossible in the current DR.

Just to play devil's advocate with respect to impossibility...

-Starlight Sphere has variable effects depending on which of the 40+ constellations is used for the cast. Granted, the effects are not hugely variable from constellation to constellation, but there is a noticable difference between them.
-The God Totems already provide a large variability for stats and skills bonused.
-Invocation of Energy provides different effects depending on which moons are used.
-The spell wouldn't necesarily need to have 39+ different effects. Just 3 or so and which god you used might alter the balance of the 3 effects one way or another.

I don't see this as 'impossible in the current DR' at all.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: Toying with a concept of a AOE spell 10/04/2009 09:35 PM CDT
<it's impossible in the current DR>

yeah. i certainly understand that. i wasnt suggesting a 50 tier spell. :)

i like to get things one piece at a time myself.

Verbal
Re: Toying with a concept of a AOE spell 10/05/2009 11:35 AM CDT
Some good points Evran. I agree with Ucu that adding a god personalized direction would add a large degree of complexity that would likely complicate development and release of any such spell, but at the same time, if a GM with good coding skills decided it was a cool thing to do it certainly is possible.

It has been my experience though that overly ambitious projects- sometimes spells but things like communes and what was that proposed for Paladins? tend to drag on and on and often never make it into the game. Therefore, I tend to favor spell proposals with more bang and less bling.