Murulla's flames 02/08/2017 06:02 AM CST
So I wanted to do this quest. I tried talking to Karjon before and he said something about not being ready for it yet. I noticed there was a 30 charisma requirement, ok so I bring my charisma up to 30. Now when I ask he says its to dangerous and i'd surely perish. This leads to my real question, which is, is there another requirement skillwise, or statwise to start it? I read a few other forum posts and the walkthrough on epedia and seen comments about folks doing it with 150 TM. I have over 200 TM so not sure what I would need to bring up that might be lacking.

I did notice that on the epedia walkthrough it had 35 discipline as recommended, could this actually be a required amount and not just recommended? I currently have 30.
Re: Murulla's flames 02/08/2017 08:35 AM CST

I think that's just part of the messaging. Without giving away too much, once you start the quest you'll be periodically attacked until you finish or complete it. To complete it, you have to be able to kill 30 creatures within the 250-400 skill range within 4 hours completely naked. Failure to do so, or abandoning the quests, means you can't restart it for a few months (RL time).
Re: Murulla's flames 02/08/2017 09:23 AM CST

<is there another requirement skillwise, or statwise to start it?

Yes, but it isn't clear to me what it is. I had the same problem as you about six months ago or so when I did it. Unfortunately, I didn't check often enough to determine when I cleared whatever hurdle I had left to clear, so I can't give you any advice. I will say that it was incredibly difficult for me and I did it relatively close to the suggested stats/requirements from epedia. It literally took me all day as the end part relies almost exclusively on your TM and fighting without any armor, so waiting would have been smarter for me in hindsight. I could also just be terrible at this game.
Re: Murulla's flames 02/08/2017 09:35 AM CST
I haven't heard of anyone doing it post DR 3.0 with less than 250 blended TM/PM, 35 discipline, a Targeted alignment, and the Targeted Mastery feat. Of course if you have more than the requirement in one area another can be lower than that. If you have low discipline, make sure to have the TM feat and change your alignment. An ornate ring will also give you +2 discipline getting you closer. The rest you just need to make up with TM skill.

I would strongly recommend picking up Harm Horde and Time of the Red Spiral, you can forget them over the next 2 months in Throne City if you don't like them. These two spells make the quest so much easier.

Once you have your egg, bony fylgia will randomly ambush you. These are a good gauge to see if you're ready to go fight them. If you aren't, find a bigger player to buddy up with to protect you and teach you some TM.

When it's time to kill fylgia, remember to RETREAT, RETREAT, RETREAT. As long as nothing hits you it doesn't matter what your defenses are. You just need to be able to retreat and kill.

If you get stuck, please don't hesitate to ask for help in game. Either on the Cleric gweth channel or reach out to Padhg directly.
Re: Murulla's flames 02/08/2017 09:43 AM CST
>I read a few other forum posts and the walkthrough on epedia and seen comments about folks doing it with 150 TM.

I might be wrong, but I think that piece of information was true when the quest was originally written. With the changes to combat/magic since the quest's inception, I believe the TM requirement is closer to 250.

~Gab
Re: Murulla's flames 02/08/2017 09:47 AM CST

I'm working furiously on my TM so I can do both this quest and FoU... Currently I have 35 disc, 352 PM, and 190 TM, I have the TM feat and am aligned TM. Any thoughts on how close I am to being able to do either? I have Harm Horde and TotRS if that helps in determining.
Re: Murulla's flames 02/08/2017 10:32 AM CST
For what it's worth I had 215 TM, 400+ PM, 35+ discipline, the Targeted Mastery feat, and an alignment to Firulf (+TM, +Warding). I was able to DISCERN HE and cast it at 57 mana, and had POM. For 3.5 hours, I manually spammed RETreat, TAR HE 57, and CAST.

With Magic 3.2, I think HE and HH both became slightly easier to cast. So those numbers maybe slightly lower now. Harm Horde with Time of the Red Spiral will completely obliterate an entire room of fylgja in 2 or 3 casts.

During the last part, I had an empath heal me outside when I got hit once. In addition to Persistence of Mana, I kept Shield of Light (stance evasion/shield), Protection from Evil, and Minor Physical Protection up.

My defenses were abysmal, around 150 Shield/Evasion.
Re: Murulla's flames 02/08/2017 02:27 PM CST
>>RY4NPW: I was able to DISCERN HE and cast it at 47 mana.

Minor correction, it was 47 mana and 35 discipline to hit.
Re: Murulla's flames 02/08/2017 03:50 PM CST

Just finished the Quest... Here were my stats when I started:
Circle 50, 35 Disc, 192 TM, 353 PM, TM feat, TM aligned god Took me about 3 hours.
Probably would have been done a good hour faster if I had POM lol.
I used Harm Horde at 45 mana, and have Time of the Red Spiral to augment it.
I used a retreat script, and a Harm Horde script I wrote.

I had no trouble at all hitting them with Horde, and did decent damage with casts at 45. Only thing that slowed me down was waiting on mana so I highly recommend keeping POM up if you have it. Naturally if you can cast Horde at higher than 45 I'd do that as well.

If you are interested in either script just hit me up on AIM. GnickiaDR
Re: Murulla's flames 02/08/2017 05:40 PM CST
>I haven't heard of anyone doing it post DR 3.0 with less than 250 blended TM/PM, 35 discipline, a Targeted alignment, and the Targeted Mastery feat.

My cleric post-3.0 had considerably more skill than that, with the feats, and was unable to start the quest. I might have lacked the discipline.

I was able to do FOU though.
Re: Murulla's flames 02/08/2017 05:54 PM CST
I'm thinking it might be likely a discipline req after all since I have about 210 TM, and 190-200ish defenses. I also only have around 300 holy magic which seems a little lower than some of the folks around here, but if i'm around I'm usually always in combat so I may need to bring a blended average up. I do however have the TM Mastery feat, and i'm aligned to Everild (TM/Aug)

I'll grind some tdp's out and bring disc up to 35. I've only 30 now but it shouldn't take long. I'll keep folks updated and maybe somebody can update the epedia if need be.
Re: Murulla's flames 02/09/2017 12:47 PM CST
A post was hidden

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator
FoU - Minimum TM To Cast 02/24/2017 05:12 PM CST
Anyone able to share how low their TM was when they could successfully cast FoU? I have the PM and other requirements to finish the quest but my TM is only 180, so I have considered holding off.

If anyone picked it up prior to 200/220 ranks, I would be curious when you were able to cast.

Thanks!
Re: FoU - Minimum TM To Cast 02/24/2017 05:56 PM CST
Mine was 192 I believe. I did have TM mastery feat, and aligned to a god which grants TM bonus. That still put me just a little below 250, but having Holy Magic skill higher grants a boost to the lower magic skills slightly. Mine was just under 300. I also had 33 Disc with a stat boosting ring adding 2 which equaled 35 just to add a data point.
Re: FoU - Minimum TM To Cast 02/24/2017 06:04 PM CST

Picked it up right when I had 200 tm for the quest requirement, was aligned for tm but no tm mastery, was able to cast just fine from the get go.
Re: FoU - Minimum TM To Cast 02/24/2017 10:28 PM CST
Thanks for the feedback. I'll hit the 200 mark as a goal and then go for it.

Thanks!
Re: FoU - Minimum TM To Cast 02/25/2017 01:12 AM CST
http://epicrapbattlesofhistory.wikia.com/wiki/File:Arnold_Schwarzenegger_do_it_now_meme.jpg

But yeah really, TM training is like night and day. I got this and hydra hex at the same time pretty much and was a very happy camper.