Babby Cleric Q's 09/29/2016 01:40 AM CDT
I was pretty unhappy with my former Cleric's skill allocations so I have decided to start from scratch, but a lot has changed.

1) I remember POM being baller, but difficult. It's a ritual spell now. Is it worth picking up ASAP or should I wait till I have longer duration on it? Can ritual spells be cast in combat?

2) Osrel Meraud immediately at 30 still or hold off till later?

3) IIRC Rezz is better held off till you can float more mana. Same? Is rezz still in high demand or do people mostly depart these days?

4) Best/easiest/least painful scroll spells for training sorcery as a Cleric?

5) Mandatory magical feats for Clerical pvp, if any?
Re: Babby Cleric Q's 09/29/2016 08:41 AM CDT

1) You can cast ritual spells in combat, but you'll need to retreat first so the long roundtime doesn't get you injured. As for when to get it, are you having trouble running out of mana? If so, it'll help quite a bit. If not, I would say it is a lower priority.

2) I got it immediately at 30 and couldn't cast it, even with an alignment bonus to Utility. It's invaluable, but hard to cast.

3) I think, in general, people prefer a res to departing, so it's a valuable spell. As for demand, while there are many people that can cast Res, it never hurts to have one more!

4) As a Cleric, Lunar magic is the least risky of the Sorcery magic types, so I recommend Clear Vision or Shadows.

5) Sorry, I don't PVP.
Re: Babby Cleric Q's 09/29/2016 09:44 AM CDT

> 1) I remember POM being baller, but difficult. It's a ritual spell now. Is it worth picking up ASAP or should I wait till I have longer duration on it?

Ritual spells have very good durations out the gate. I'd recommend this to any new clerics.

> Can ritual spells be cast in combat?

Yes, but you may not want to depending on how much you're over-hunting.

> Osrel Meraud immediately at 30 still or hold off till later?

I picked up OM, and I have yet to use it. It feels like a spell we outgrow when we can keep durations above 20 minutes fairly easily. They're overall less energy to replace than to keep the orb charged.

> 3) IIRC Rezz is better held off till you can float more mana. Same?

They recently made a change with res that makes it much better. The pulses count towards your infusion total, and you pre-charge cambrinth if you're concerned about supplying mana for the spell.

> Is rezz still in high demand or do people mostly depart these days?

Not really. It's still some of the most requested utility, especially around the crossings, but people seem to die a lot less than they used it.

> Mandatory magical feats for Clerical pvp, if any?

I'm not a PvP'r, but I'll give you the mandatory feats (IMO):

- Raw channeling
- Efficient channeling
- Efficient harnessing (free)
- Injured Casting
- Deep attunement
- Dedicated cambrinth use (for utility and PVE)

Those that I really like:
- Cautious casting
- Improved rituals
- All of the mastery feats, especially while leveling. It makes it so easy to learn magics when you can cast at higher ranks, and it helps offset the alignment penalty. It also helps you bridge gaps when you're trying to cast harder spells.
Re: Babby Cleric Q's 09/29/2016 10:02 AM CDT
>>I picked up OM, and I have yet to use it. It feels like a spell we outgrow when we can keep durations above 20 minutes fairly easily. They're overall less energy to replace than to keep the orb charged.

It is a well known fact that you can ask several Clerics the same question, and you will get a different response from each. :)

That being said........personally, I find OM invaluable. Even at an early circle I used it 100% of the time. Later on, with enough skill, you can keep multiple spells in it and only have to infuse to replenish ALL OF THEM at once.

I would highly recommend utilizing OM and placing PoM into the orb as soon as you are able. Especially if your intent is to be a Cleric who raises the dead. Takes a lot of mana for a young Cleric to rezz.....and the dead are impatient.

Just one Cleric's opinion....

~Gab
Re: Babby Cleric Q's 09/29/2016 04:44 PM CDT
1. POM is great, and with new mana changes you will probably want it before circle 30. Making sure you have high Attunement is key. Attunement needs to always be your #1 magic skill as a cleric. It's up to you whether you want to spend on the Improvised Rituals feat or stock up on inkwells.

2. Most clerics say OM is mandatory and sing its praises. I still don't use it. It just depends, do you mind casting buff spells all the time?

3. Resurrection is in demand, and it can require upwards of 1000 mana to resurrect someone early on if they only have 1 or 2 favors. Dedicated cambrinth use and a large cambrinth will make REZZ manageable. POM is a borderline requirement, unless you have really high Attunement for your level.

4. If you're going to learn scrolls you're going to want the Sorcerous Patterns feat. Clear Vision is a great intro spell, and available on runestones. Learn what you can first by focusing on a runestone and classes, then you can start invoking them after 100 ranks.

5. I don't think doing PvP or not will have much impact on your feat selection. Whether or not you PvP would certainly influence your spell selection.

It's also highly suggested to keep working your Attunement (circle 25 quest), Athletics (circle 30 quest), and Targeted Magic (circle 50 quest)?