Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 09:17 AM CST
In the WM thread complaining about EE, it was mentioned clerics were being looked at for possible nerfs. SA was the spell that was pointed out as OP. Besides that, what else would be something that would need to be reviewed? AE was nerfed last year so I hope that was tweaked enough to be inline with other abilities. Barrier spells are being looked at overall for all MUs so I was just curious what were other parts that would need possible adjustments.
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 10:37 AM CST

Spirit hitting spells have never really found a niche. They have been a problem in the past, currently there is not really much a person can do to defend against them. finding the balance for the spells was always the issue. If they make them powerful enough to be useful, then no one else really has a defense against them. If they make them weaken them down much, they become useless. Spirit combat as a niche for clerics sounds great as a concept but has never really had a balanced application that i know of. The whole forced depart thing now is over the top. As long as they are going for balance, really hope they take a look at two of our other spells as well. Rev and PS.... The massive undead stunning spell that don't stun undead...
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 11:02 AM CST
Hmmm.

Some things are just too good on their own and need to be redesigned, for instance the below:

Soul Attrition.

Stacking barriers - not just a cleric problem but clerics have a bunch of them.

Sanyu Lyba - The way the watchsoul works, if the defender can't win the stat contest (and most likely they can't if the cleric isn't outclassed by a lot) they basically can't use magic against the cleric at all. Being able to shut down casting is a really strong advantage in PvP. Having one of your spells passively do that for you while you're free to do whatever you want is too good.

Some things are really good, but maybe not OP, except that Clerics can be good at SO MUCH at the same time:

Debilitation that isn't subject to diminishing returns and can be Hydra Hexed so it's always applied.

Ability to boost almost all stats simultaneously with help from a couple of Paladin spells.

Mazrian
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 02:15 PM CST
>>Debilitation that isn't subject to diminishing returns and can be Hydra Hexed so it's always applied.

>>Ability to boost almost all stats simultaneously with help from a couple of Paladin spells.

Diminishing returns only apply to Crowd Control which none of the spells that are put into Hydra Hex (Male, CoZ, Uncurse) actually do. Also if using Hydra Hex they can't use SA since they're both cyclic.

Sure with Paladin spells on us 7/8 stat buffs but using paladin spells on say a War Mage can have 6/8. Requires a paladin for either case and they're heavy to carry around.
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 02:22 PM CST
Fixing OM to not take Paladin spells is probably a big one.

SA was mentioned (due to how it follows a person) but AE as well, for partially the same problem but also doing too much damage for a multistrike in general IIRC.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 02:56 PM CST

>>Fixing OM to not take Paladin spells is probably a big one.

Yeah that is broken and should be fixed but at least that just leads to a duration issue for non Cleric spells, most of them you can't put in the orb though.

>>AE as well, for partially the same problem but also doing too much damage for a multistrike in general IIRC.

AE isn't a multistrike its a pulsing spell and I believe the damage and spirit cost was already lowered quite a bit already in the past.
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 04:44 PM CST

<<AE isn't a multistrike its a pulsing spell and I believe the damage and spirit cost was already lowered quite a bit already in the past.>>

The trade off with this spell when it came out was the delay, it didn't hit as fast as TM spells plus it had the <normal at the time> feature of a drawback because it worked on living. The spirit hit. This spell has already taken a huge nerf bat. If your out long enough for a cleric to get this spell in PvP against you, don't complain about it dragging you out of hiding or following you if you run. The time delay plus not getting the damage on the first pulse coupled with the spirit hit are more than enough. The biggest nerf to this spell was it is no longer DFA.
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 04:45 PM CST

as far as fixing OM to only take cleric spells.... I can see that if the Gm's decide to for balance.

The feeble old swamp shaman
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 04:51 PM CST
>> If your out long enough for a cleric to get this spell in PvP against you,

The delay is like, a few seconds. It's really not that long.

I'm just saying AE has been mentioned before as due for another glance-over.

Thayet

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 04:54 PM CST
>>>> The biggest nerf to this spell was it is no longer DFA.

I can't say this enough, but I am fairly certain that in many circumstances being DFA is a drawback. DFA spells now give an Evasion bonus in addition to bypassing shield defence. This means that if the target has more evasion than shield it is possible that they are actually harder to hit with a DFA spell. Paladins are the only guild that learn shield faster than evasion. Many creatures don't even have a shield defence. I would test this with Cleric spells, but my cleric doesn't have HE so I can't do that comparison. HE, in addition, only affects cursed and creatures and does bonus damage against them so it would not be a fair comparison. I have tested this on my Moon Mage with Burn vs PD at comparable mana against non shield using creatures. Based on the damage done, I would use PD pretty much every time. The fact that PD only does physical damage actually puts it at a disadvantage and it still comes out ahead.
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 05:01 PM CST
HE is absolutely absurd in PvP, trust me. So is SA, albeit in different ways. Both are DFA too.

Thayet

Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 05:05 PM CST
>>>> HE is absolutely absurd in PvP, trust me. So is SA, albeit in different ways. Both are DFA too.

Oh, I believe you. I just don't think that it is the fact that they are DFA that makes them powerful. HE, for example, ignores amour and does extra damage against forsaken necros. SA is a cyclic spirit attack that cannot be dispelled, uses a non evasion/shield defence and continues to attack when you leave the room. On top of that it pits the clerics' spirit against their foes, which probably puts their target at a disadvantage, and the cleric can cast auspice and improve their spirit regeneration. Once again, being DFA isn't they key factor here.
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 05:08 PM CST
I don't think it does extra damage on its own but I may be wrong. It's just that ignoring armor AND shield is a huge deal.

SA ignores shield but still contests evasion AFAIK. It's really a standard DFA in that respect. The main thing is that it follows you and is attacking a resource not a lot of people will have a ton of due to Charisma not being a super desirable stat.

Thayet

Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 06:05 PM CST

Not really sure about how HE currently works but i will test it some. Used to be the bread and butter spell for clerics. It ignored armor and shield and basically hit corporal undead with a bonus something like a blessed weapon would have over a regular weapon. basically it was designed to be <big hammer> spell vs undead that assured clerics and clerical magic was top dog vs undead that could be hit with regular weapons. Not sure if that idea has carried over and the spell still gets the big bang for the buck effect.... considering it's limitations I just don't see a solid case for this spell being OP vs anyone but a necro. Considering the lore and everything behind it, I am good with cleric's being the strongest vs necro.
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 06:16 PM CST
>>>> SA ignores shield but still contests evasion AFAIK. It's really a standard DFA in that respect.

Oops, that makes sense. I think I was confused about the messaging. Either way though, it sounds like you agree that it is not the DFA aspect that makes it so powerful.
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 06:23 PM CST
>> Considering the lore and everything behind it, I am good with cleric's being the strongest vs necro.

Not complaining about that at all (really), just saying that DFA does not take away from this aspect in any way. If you can hit a mob or Necromancer with it, you can murder the hell out of them.

Same with SA, but again, for different reasons. Specifically because even a small hit will let the spell stick to them and at that point you're whittling down a resource you are likely to have way, way more of.

Thayet

Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 07:56 PM CST

we are on the same page with SA......
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 09:41 PM CST

>>Same with SA, but again, for different reasons. Specifically because even a small hit will let the spell stick to them and at that point you're whittling down a resource you are likely to have way, way more of.

That's not a particularly reasonable line of thought. That's like saying nerf backstab because I can't beat the stealth/perception contest as a survival tert guild. Sure I can, maybe not fully but enough that its not a full detriment, with enough work. You can too by upping your Charisma and defenses. You might not think it's viable to do so but its still an option.
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 09:53 PM CST
Those two scenarios aren't really comparable for several reasons.

Note that I wasn't even saying "nerf SA because spirit damage is OP" (even if spirit damage is disproportionately potent right now) but rather because even a brushing hit will allow SA to hit you and follow you around doing damage even if you leave the room for as long as the caster holds the cyclic. You might have a comparison there if even a brushing strike with backstab allowed me to then continue backstabbing you repeatedly even after you have left the room I was in.

Thayet

Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 09:54 PM CST
Normally one forgets there's a spirit attribute until a cleric reminds you it exists. Does it actually do anything besides interact with the depart timer and kill you?

Your search-fu is pig dung!
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 09:58 PM CST
Death by spirit damage makes you unrezzable.

I want to say its level affects some contests but I don't remember.

Thayet

Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 10:12 PM CST

>>even if spirit damage is disproportionately potent right now

If you don't train Charisma because you feel its lackluster then yes it certainly will be that way.

> because even a brushing hit will allow SA to hit you and follow you around doing damage

If the spell is cast on you then its cast on you, same is if you're 1st or 200th, barring wards or barriers that will make the spell fail. Just the nature of the spell (It being TM and all). Also the brushing hits are more detrimental to the cleric then the person its cast on, regardless of whether it works or not we still take the spirit hit.

Your spirit lashes out at XXXX!
The essences collide harmlessly with each other. The exertion leaves your spirit feeling slightly weaker.
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 10:20 PM CST
<<Also the brushing hits are more detrimental to the cleric then the person its cast on, regardless of whether it works or not we still take the spirit hit.

I laughed.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 10:20 PM CST
Spirit damage is out of whack at the moment and one of the things we need to assess. It's always been a problem, frankly, but it's one that's difficult to solve short of removing it entirely (which, while it'd be better than the current situation, is probably a bit more extreme than I'd like).

We have a change for the OM orb incoming to limit it to Cleric spells only.

I am aware of AE and need to spend some quality time tuning it in the future. It's a fine concept and we want to do more DoTs, but this may not be a good model for it.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 10:24 PM CST
Sort of related, but I do wish the spirit strength messaging had more "levels" to it. It seems like past a certain point, every creature and every player has an incredible spirit unless they've been recently hit by a spirit attack or something of that nature.

(I mainly just want to scare small clerics with my 100 charisma.)

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/25/2016 10:46 PM CST

>(I mainly just want to scare small clerics with my 100 charisma.)
Hah!
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/27/2016 09:01 AM CST

<<Spirit damage is out of whack at the moment and one of the things we need to assess. It's always been a problem, frankly, but it's one that's difficult to solve short of removing it entirely (which, while it'd be better than the current situation, is probably a bit more extreme than I'd like).

We have a change for the OM orb incoming to limit it to Cleric spells only.

I am aware of AE and need to spend some quality time tuning it in the future. It's a fine concept and we want to do more DoTs, but this may not be a good model for it.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvin>>

Hey - if you think AE needs to be fixed thats fine, but I hope if you do decide to do that, that you take a look at our other Direct damage TM spells, because they kind of stink at level and dont do a whole lot of damage. Just dont want to be left with nothing left in the books to use at the end of the day because people are sad that they got killed by an AE.
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/27/2016 09:09 AM CST
>>Hey - if you think AE needs to be fixed thats fine, but I hope if you do decide to do that, that you take a look at our other Direct damage TM spells, because they kind of stink at level and dont do a whole lot of damage.

FF and Horn are standard TM spells. TM as a whole needs some TLC, but that's not a Cleric specific issue.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/27/2016 10:21 AM CST

<<
FF and Horn are standard TM spells. TM as a whole needs some TLC, but that's not a Cleric specific issue.>>

No I am with you that it isnt cleric specific - its just if one gets nerfed before the other options get the TLC they need, what you are left with is...a sad state of affairs. I am just begging you to be mindful of that before making changes. pleeease.
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/27/2016 02:00 PM CST

FIRST... THANK YOU for the work on PS...

second the stun duration seems to be capping easy. granted i just tested on fiends and DS and i could get the same stun for min prep as i could for 70 mana. not saying that is bad just early testing. I will test more in a bit. I want to see if it works vs hiding creatures like lachs and also make sure it works vs hiding necro's that it should work on.
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/27/2016 07:57 PM CST
Honestly, I don't think it'll be all that bad. It strikes me as something like the BG nerf for Warrior Mages. It'll suck that it loses power, but Clerics are still and will still be in a very good place.
Re: Cleric nerfs incoming? 01/27/2016 09:04 PM CST

I really enjoying messing around testing this stuff. PS is a very effective spell. However when you mix it with Halo in a hunting area is like playing golf. seeing what direction you can knock them into....

>cast
You gesture.
Glimmering cracks of silver spiderweb the walls, leaking a misty light that collects overhead. For but a single instant, the light floods through the area like a cascade of holy water, casting the night into a dreamscape astir with shadowed silhouettes and heavenly blaze.
A Maelshyvean shadow beast is moderately stunned!
A lesser dusky-scaled basilisk is moderately stunned!
Roundtime: 3 sec.
>
Fractals of pale light materialize in a cascading pattern around you, outlining the faint beginnings of a complex gyre. With a bestial moan, shafts of brilliant white light erupt from the ether, illuminating the pattern as if it were lifeblood sustaining the vein. The wall of light echoes outward rapidly, leaving a misty white halo to shroud you in its wake.

The ring of light smashes into a Maelshyvean shadow beast, forcefully pushing it from melee to missile range, away from you.
Radiation lightly abrades its flesh.
It is hammered brutally by the lucent force as it is sent flying to the northeast!

The ring of light smashes into a Maelshyvean shadow beast, forcefully pushing it from melee to missile range, away from you.
Radiation heavily abrades its flesh.
It is hammered brutally by the lucent force as it is sent flying to the southwest!

It is hammered brutally by the lucent force as it is sent flying to the northeast!

The ring of light smashes into a lesser dusky-scaled basilisk, forcefully pushing it from melee to missile range, away from you.
It is hammered brutally by the lucent force as it is sent flying to the east!