Speaking Of Alignment (Devotion Question) 02/27/2017 07:29 PM CST
So, speaking of alignment changes; I had an unexpected result after recently changing from Light aligned to Dark aligned and would appreciate any feedback.

After I recently changed my alignment from Divyaush to Ushnish, I noticed I went from near capped devotion to near the bottom of the scale. This in itself did not concern me, but what I did find was that my existing methods of devotion gains did not appear to be working as well as they did previously. I use nearly entirely in town devotion rituals (altar cleaning, prayer to immortal, dancing, reciting, prayer badge, meditation room, pouring wine, tithing and incense for the altars).

My guess is being aligned to a dark god means those types of rituals give less devotion and that is certainly logical, but I wanted to confirm as it would have a large impact on my Theurgy training.

Being able to gain steady devotion (for Meraud and other communes) is the only way I have found Theurgy bearable, so understanding this would be very helpful.

Thanks for any assistance!
Re: Speaking Of Alignment (Devotion Question) 02/27/2017 07:49 PM CST

I've never heard of getting reduced devotion regardless of being Light/Neutral/Dark aligned. Some give more, some less...dark aligned rituals tend to give more.

Devotion gains/losses don't always instantly show up through checking with commune. I've had numerous occasions where I'd use truffenyi and it shows a gain of devotion or have prayed on my badge and actually showed a decrease in devotion simply from other things I had done before that. For you, who does a lot of rituals in town, the whole I've run the gamut of altar rituals and see no change whatsoever in devotion does crop up. A lot of this would be cleared up if they made gains/losses instant for sanity reasons.
Re: Speaking Of Alignment (Devotion Question) 02/27/2017 07:50 PM CST

To my knowledge (which may not be completely accurate), your current alignment has no bearing on devotion gains by ritual. Some rituals grant higher amounts of devotion than others by alignment (dark incense compared to standard incense).
Re: Speaking Of Alignment (Devotion Question) 02/27/2017 07:55 PM CST
Very helpful feedback and thank you both.

I'll give it a few days and see how it goes. I'd be thrilled if that's the case and I'm just impatient with my devotion or checking it too often and assuming lack of gains when I don't see it move up the scale quickly.
Re: Speaking Of Alignment (Devotion Question) 02/27/2017 09:44 PM CST
>Being able to gain steady devotion (for Meraud and other communes) is the only way I have found Theurgy bearable

You said you gain a lot of your devotion via rituals, do you use sacrifice or last rites in combat, Yan?
Re: Speaking Of Alignment (Devotion Question) 02/27/2017 10:02 PM CST
>>You said you gain a lot of your devotion via rituals, do you use sacrifice or last rites in combat, Yan?

I do not. Perhaps I need to check into them.

I am familiar with Last Rites, but would love to know the cooldown on devotion gain so I can add it properly to my hunting trips to test out.

As for sacrifice, I did not see it on the cleric ritual page (https://elanthipedia.play.net/Clerical_rituals), is this what you are referring to: https://elanthipedia.play.net/Sacrifice_command

If so, I can give it a shot. Is the cooldown for this one known?

Thanks!
Re: Speaking Of Alignment (Devotion Question) 02/27/2017 10:43 PM CST
Pretty sure it's 10 min.

So if you have the room consecrated with Meraud's commune:

pray immortal every ~10 minutes
dance ~10 minutes
pray slain critter (if you're hunting creatures who aren't cursed) ~10 minutes
sacrifice (as a killing blow) ~10 minutes

Of course if you're lucky enough to own a prayer mat or you carve beads that gives you more options.
Re: Speaking Of Alignment (Devotion Question) 02/27/2017 10:51 PM CST

I'd stay away from sacrifice, nothing like losing devotion cause you decide that feinting is the best option to go for the kill.
Re: Speaking Of Alignment (Devotion Question) 02/28/2017 01:38 AM CST
>>My guess is being aligned to a dark god means those types of rituals give less devotion and that is certainly logical, but I wanted to confirm as it would have a large impact on my Theurgy training.

Fun fact: This has been in the code since before my time on staff, but never switched on. At this point it's not realistic to expect a balanced number of aligned rituals, so we can consider that scrapped.

>>Devotion gains/losses don't always instantly show up through checking with commune. I've had numerous occasions where I'd use truffenyi and it shows a gain of devotion or have prayed on my badge and actually showed a decrease in devotion simply from other things I had done before that. For you, who does a lot of rituals in town, the whole I've run the gamut of altar rituals and see no change whatsoever in devotion does crop up. A lot of this would be cleared up if they made gains/losses instant for sanity reasons.

I'm not aware of any rituals or communes that behave in this manner. In fact, delayed devotion awards will be one of the effects of antinomic corruption. What you noticed may have been the devotion drift.

>>sacrifice (as a killing blow) ~10 minutes

Sacrifice has no timer!

>>I'd stay away from sacrifice, nothing like losing devotion cause you decide that feinting is the best option to go for the kill.

I've been meaning to address this, but it's low priority and Combat is scary... To offset the risk, though, the devotion award is pretty generous.

GM Grejuva
Re: Speaking Of Alignment (Devotion Question) 02/28/2017 03:10 AM CST

>I'm not aware of any rituals or communes that behave in this manner. In fact, delayed devotion awards will be one of the effects of antinomic corruption. What you noticed may have been the devotion drift.

If it can drift up as well as down then I suppose you're right, just found it weird. Tested it a few times the other day and got devotion from doing truffenyi commune and lost devotion each time I prayed on my badge. Was probably just specifically good (bad) timing on my part. Here's one of the tests.

> commune
After a moment, you sense that your god knows your name. (9/16)

You lift your voice in praise of the gods, feeling the burning warmth of faith flowing all through your veins.

"Insatiable Aldauth give me strength so that I may rip the flesh from mine enemies.
Let me pummel upon the heathen's skulls in praise of Idon's cacophonous tune.
Crafty Zachriedek plague upon the works and wonders of the unbelievers.
Bless me Mistress Kerenhappuch with a glimpse of your beauty to satiate my soul.
Mighty Trothfang let me rip out thine enemies hearts and feast upon their weakness.
Secretive Dergati spare me from your wrath for you are always watching.
Holy Urrem'tier grant me peace and unity within the void when my watch is at an end."

You sense that you are as pure of spirit as you can be, and you are ready for whatever rituals might face you.

You feel that your gods have smiled upon you for your attempts to please them.
> commune
After a moment, you sense that your god is pleased with your devotion. (8/16)

> commune
>
> commune truf
>
You pour your faith and devotion into a plea to Truffenyi, an ebony vulture bead held aloft in your hands.
A faint voice murmurs in your head, ~ "You are heard, Ephic." ~

Coils of sickly black mist flow from your mouth and nostrils as a piercing beak plucks at your spirit, writhing and twisting about your offering. With a loud wailing sound, the mist snaps into the form of a glowing Aldauth orb, mirroring a face -- your face, only dead -- on its surface before growing transparent.

The power of Truffenyi has answered your prayer.
> commune

> commune
>
You take off a pilgrim's badge.
> pray bad

You think upon the immortals, and the holy places built in their honor by mortals who have heard them speak, or seen the power of their beings.
As you feel your connection to them grow, you sense the eyes of the gods upon you.
Roundtime: 10 sec.

You sense that you are as pure of spirit as you can be, and you are ready for whatever rituals might face you.

You feel that your gods have smiled upon you for your attempts to please them.
R> commune
>
Re: Speaking Of Alignment (Devotion Question) 02/28/2017 03:52 AM CST
>>If it can drift up as well as down then I suppose you're right, just found it weird.

It can.

>After a moment, you sense that your god knows your name. (9/16)
>After a moment, you sense that your god is pleased with your devotion. (8/16)

The second message indicates higher devotion, not lower.

GM Grejuva
Re: Speaking Of Alignment (Devotion Question) 02/28/2017 04:43 AM CST

>The second message indicates higher devotion, not lower.

Heh, never noticed that. Good catch. I'll go back to my quiet chanting waiting for antinomic goodness.
Re: Speaking Of Alignment (Devotion Question) 02/28/2017 07:09 AM CST

Thanks all for the clarity and suggestions. Everyone including Grejuva has been awesome at providing information.

Ilove my cleric and anything that helps with Theurgy helps greatly.

Would love to see the devotion cost of communes go down even a smalll amount to reduce the number of rituals needed daily. That said, perhaps if sorcery becomes a viable method for Theurgy it won't matter.

Thanks again!
Re: Speaking Of Alignment (Devotion Question) 02/28/2017 10:19 AM CST
>Sacrifice has no timer!

Well....rats. Now I'm tempted to experiment.

~Gab