Commune Ideas/Improvements 07/26/2016 09:24 PM CDT
First off, let me just say that Clerics are pretty bomb, even post OM-fix. We were one of the first guilds to get overhauled and improved in a big way as part of 3.0. That said, the communes feel unfinished, and I think many clerics would agree with me here. Let me start with one to kick and to change.

Eluned's second commune - I don't know anyone who uses this, ever.

Hodierna's is good but the fact it can only be used when you already have an active bleeder makes it too little too late since it requires a bit of work and two existing and functioning arms/hands unless you have a lighter. It would be a nice improvement, IMO to change it to provide some bleeding reduction preemptively. Maybe it could be changed to two one-handed items - say holy water and blessed wine - fitting for cleric blood-related magic.

Now here's where I think we could get a little more inventive....

Commune Faenella: A commune to provide protection of a corpse from disruption by a necromancer. I doubt this would be used often, but it would play into the lore well and hey, it's better than fish feet or something. You would require a feather from the cleric shop or a feather from a Flames resurrection (if those still drop? I haven't seen one in forever).

Commune Trothfang: As clerics lack any weapon skill, accuracy, or offensive factor buff spells, it would be nice if we could perhaps get something that would perhaps increase damage with melee weapons but with some kind of cost. There are a lot of ways this could work, but one off the beaten path idea I had is that you would need to give yourself a moderate ext/int bleeder right on your left hand (cannot tend yourself now). You get a damage amplifier until you've killed X things (2X for undead) where X is half your circles.

Commune Firulf: Something to help you locate dead people. This would be a pretty high circle quest. Window of maybe 3 minutes after someone's died, but you get to see their room name or nearest city?

Extra ideas - how about a Rakash and Prydaen only commune? Tenemlor would be a good one for the no-touchy-dead-body idea I had, but I wouldn't want that to be racially isolated.
Re: Commune Ideas/Improvements 07/27/2016 08:08 AM CDT

While we're doing this. I'll make another request for a commune bag of sorts*, a way to empower certain items with pre-prepared rituals, or a way to "grow out" of mechanical components with enough theurgy. It would be useful even if it had a higher devotion hit.

*Example:

Count bag - You see 5 stacks of incense, 0 vials of holy water, 10 vials of holy oil, and 2 sirese seeds.
Wave incense - You reach into your holy bag, pull out a stick of incense while simultaneously lighting it on the striker near the flap. You wave your incense around yourself and the room before tossing it aside.
Re: Commune Ideas/Improvements 07/27/2016 10:54 AM CDT

New communes would be a boon and I really like the points Derium added about material components.
Re: Commune Ideas/Improvements 07/28/2016 04:49 PM CDT

I want the old Eluned defense commune back. :(

~Caelane
Re: Commune Ideas/Improvements 07/28/2016 05:21 PM CDT

aaaaah who let Caelane back in?!
Re: Commune Ideas/Improvements 07/30/2016 08:19 AM CDT

I'm like a bad penny. :)
Re: Commune Ideas/Improvements 07/30/2016 11:12 AM CDT
<<Count bag - You see 5 stacks of incense, 0 vials of holy water, 10 vials of holy oil, and 2 sirese seeds. Wave incense - You reach into your holy bag, pull out a stick of incense while simultaneously lighting it on the striker near the flap. You wave your incense around yourself and the room before tossing it aside.>>

This is an amazing idea. I need one.
Re: Commune Ideas/Improvements 07/30/2016 11:58 AM CDT
<<Count bag - You see 5 stacks of incense, 0 vials of holy water, 10 vials of holy oil, and 2 sirese seeds. Wave incense - You reach into your holy bag, pull out a stick of incense while simultaneously lighting it on the striker near the flap. You wave your incense around yourself and the room before tossing it aside.>>

Minor change, but they would have to reference the bag for mechanical reasons.

Wave bag: you do the incense thing

Pull bag: You pull a vial of holy water and sprinkle a small portion on yourself and pour the rest on the ground in front of you while muttering a soft prayer.

Push bag (with weapon in RH): You push a small bottle of holy oil to the top of your holy bag and retrieve it. You pour a small bit of the oil onto your <weapon> and give it a sharp shake, spreading the oil and causing it to run down its length.

Push bag (without weapon): You push a small bottle of holy oil to the top of your holy bag and retrieve it. With your thumb halfway over its neck, you sprinkle the contents out upon yourself.

Plant bag: sirese seed action.

Draw bag: You retrieve a <feather> from your bag and carefully draw a holy sigil with it over the corpse of <person>. (See what I did there? Wishful thinking, uh huh)