Sacrifice Verb 03/17/2012 02:49 AM CDT
A new verb, SACRIFICE, has been released! It has devotional functionality for Clerics, but everyone can use it to shoot dirty looks at others.

Clerics of sufficient circle and wisdom may learn the ability from Undertaker Khurek in the Crossing Temple cemetery. Since his demotion, he has taken up a nocturnal lifestyle. (Necromancers, beware. Seriously.)

Live in Prime and Platinum, with TF to follow in a few days.

GM Grejuva
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/17/2012 03:49 AM CDT
Definitely interesting. Only played with the second half so far, somewhat amazed Asketi didn't smite my character horribly for my failures, though the entire falling to ones knees seems awfully similar to what I was doing to the apes I was trying it out on.
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/17/2012 04:45 AM CDT
>> Only played with the second half so far

About the other part, I should've mentioned that while Animal Sacrifice is supported, the actual sacrificial animals aren't available yet. You can only do Combat Sacrifice and Person Sacrifice right now.

GM Grejuva
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/17/2012 07:56 AM CDT
Cant wait to play with this
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/17/2012 08:48 AM CDT
So, person sacrifice is fun! Just be sure you pay attention to Khurek's warnings hee hee. :)
Thanks for this release, Grejuva, I look forward to playing around with it more.
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/17/2012 09:11 AM CDT
I'm not sure if it's too soon after release, but anyone post details? I can't learn it yet (circle 18/19), and it's killing me.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/17/2012 09:17 AM CDT
>>I can't learn it yet (circle 18/19), and it's killing me.

The requirements are 20th circle and 20 wisdom. Now you'll think I set them so to spite you. :(

GM Grejuva
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/17/2012 10:10 AM CDT
>The requirements are 20th circle and 20 wisdom. Now you'll think I set them so to spite you. :(

I did already, don't worry!

At least I'm moderately close, possibly I'll make it this weekend if I work hard. Though 20 wisdom might be iffy. Many thanks for not making that aspect PAFO Grejuva.

Looking forward to playing with it now, since it's not 400th circle.

You're easily my 3rd or 4th favorite cleric GM at the moment man! (<3)

And yes, that was a tease. Please don't go hulk on me. Much cleric-love to you and everyone else involved in this. Though getting anything out pre-3 is impressive.
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/17/2012 11:07 AM CDT
I have to say, just from the little I've played with it, I love the messaging.
On the combat option, (admittedly I need to experiment more) but does the devotion gain depend on learning from the creature in question or some other factor? The trekhalo I sacrificed didn't seem to provide anything for me other than some chills and a slightly bad feeling.
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/17/2012 12:41 PM CDT
Based on someone's explanation of events, is it intentional or oversight that you can sacrifice a person in a justice zone?

Devotion based or not, it seems... surprising that society is kinda okay with it, hah.
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/17/2012 12:58 PM CDT
And I take the cake for the first one to sacrifice another PC. <platside>. heh. * Yacov was just sacrificed to Ushnish! [12:25 pm]

Very interesting. A bit more warning for the sacrificee though should really be done, though , imho. To prevent the innocent or something. Darkside. Defineately darkside.

IC, though, considering it was Khruek who came up with it though, its about what she'd expected. Although she considers some of the names that one can ask him about meaningless babble <those characters never appeared in plat, nor did Khurek journey to Shard or come into contact with Sothavi plat-side.>

"we're doing it for the good of mankind," said the philosophers of murder, waiting for the rest of the world to congratulate them"-Elie Wiesel <the gates of the forest>
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/17/2012 01:32 PM CDT
>IC, though, considering it was Khruek who came up with it though, its about what she'd expected. Although she considers some of the names that one can ask him about meaningless babble <those characters never appeared in plat, nor did Khurek journey to Shard or come into contact with Sothavi plat-side.>

Let. It. Go.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/17/2012 01:49 PM CDT
>>Devotion based or not, it seems... surprising that society is kinda okay with it, hah.

Society is not okay with it. Where exactly did this happen? The sacrifice I watched had the cleric properly charged with Forbidden Practices.

>>A bit more warning for the sacrificee though should really be done, though , imho. To prevent the innocent or something.

More warning than this bright yellow one and three required commands? I'm open to suggestions.

>go altar
Lying on an altar will mean that you are willing to be sacrificed to the gods! Any Cleric you CONSENT will be able to kill you.
[If you are sure, repeat the command within 30 seconds.]

>>Although she considers some of the names that one can ask him about meaningless babble <those characters never appeared in plat, nor did Khurek journey to Shard or come into contact with Sothavi plat-side.>

Not every character in books have appeared ingame either; are they meaningless babble too? Unless anything he says is directly contradicting Platinum events, which they shouldn't, please just assume that they've happened.

GM Grejuva
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/17/2012 01:57 PM CDT
>>Society is not okay with it. Where exactly did this happen? The sacrifice I watched had the cleric properly charged with Forbidden Practices.

It was Kydosha over in Plat. I didn't realize there was a charge associated with it, because when I saw the wanted board shortly after it was still blank. I guess she surrendered and paid rather quickly while playing ignorant in the OOC chatter we had asking about if it caused a crime or not. My bad for working with bad information, sorry about that!
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/17/2012 02:19 PM CDT
>>It was Kydosha over in Plat.

Ah, I just checked the logs; it had to do with how that particular shrine (and possibly a couple others) is set up. I'll ponder a fix, but consider it an aberration.

GM Grejuva
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/17/2012 02:26 PM CDT
<Lying on an altar will mean that you are willing to be sacrificed to the gods! Any Cleric you CONSENT will be able to kill you.>

the Killing part isn't the part I'm referring to.

I'm referring to the fact that it takes ALL Of the sacrificees favors.

"we're doing it for the good of mankind," said the philosophers of murder, waiting for the rest of the world to congratulate them"-Elie Wiesel <the gates of the forest>
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/17/2012 02:29 PM CDT
<<guess she surrendered and paid rather quickly while playing ignorant in the OOC chatter >>

you'd assume incorrect. there was no charge.

why don't you ASK rather than trying to put one over on my character?

Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/17/2012 03:04 PM CDT
Any further Plat discussion will be nuked with extreme prejudice. Take the slap fight back to the Plat forums where they belong.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/17/2012 03:24 PM CDT
>>Ah, I just checked the logs; it had to do with how that particular shrine (and possibly a couple others) is set up. I'll ponder a fix, but consider it an aberration.

No problem! Hence my confusion.

>>why don't you ASK rather than trying to put one over on my character?

I'm not trying to put anything over you. Ritual sacrifice seems like something society would frown upon, religious or otherwise, and it looked like there was no crime associated with it. It's not about you, but the game itself.

>>Any further Plat discussion will be nuked with extreme prejudice. Take the slap fight back to the Plat forums where they belong.

Thanks.
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/17/2012 05:14 PM CDT
<<Ritual sacrifice seems like something society would frown upon, religious or otherwise>>

What I said in chat bears repeating. Due to the politics involved of the major source of gods/religion/etc in society, the Temple would tend to protect its adherents while they indulge even in dark types of rites, particularly if they are sanctioned by the gods themselves.

Hence when someone died to torture under the Inquisition in one of the TEmple's dungeons even though the Temple itself is considered a "justice zone", the authorities tended to look the other way.

Khurek himself was never arrested for wielding his axe. Particularly when he did so upon necromancers, or even upon suspects who were not actual necromancers. In the frenzy of anti-necromancer-hatred, much is overlooked, if it is being done by the "good" guys.

Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/17/2012 05:58 PM CDT
PLAYER AND NPCS ARE NOT THE SAME THING.

Npcs get mechanical dispensation that players cannot be allowed. Because npcs have to move the story forward.

For the love of GOD stop conflating the two. It's apples compared to 1957 ford gremlins.

Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/17/2012 06:05 PM CDT
Awesome! I think I'll have to wait until the sacrificial animals are released, since I doubt anyone will be offering themselves up for death in this manner unless they're into that sort of thing. Le sigh.
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/17/2012 11:41 PM CDT
<<Awesome! I think I'll have to wait until the sacrificial animals are released, since I doubt anyone will be offering themselves up for death in this manner unless they're into that sort of thing. Le sigh.>>

Think Any young folks want to earn a couple plat helping me with a project?
;)

Tachid smugly exclaims, "Die midget!"
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/18/2012 05:46 AM CDT
<<Any young folks want to earn a couple plat>>
there is a cap on how young. you can't sacrifice anyone below a certain circle.

It just seems to me that taking all your favors away is wrong thing IC, even for a Dark god, to do. Sure, take your life, but bleeding off all your favors if you're willing to die for a god? Strange. I can see a Demon doing such, and I can Definately see a overtones of history of how the dragon priests used to sacrifice to the World Dragon, in the ritual itself ... but a god? Usually gods in most mythologies, and in major religions, promise all sorts of "good" things for their "martyrs" "sacrificial lambs", etc.

That said, I wonder what is done in the case of an older character that already has no favors... such as a necromancer :-). That I can't experiment with <my cleric is on the same account as the necro, nor would my necro be likely to do such unless granted redemption thereby...and since the ritual itself comes from the Temple - highly unlikely. :-)

Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/18/2012 06:35 AM CDT
>>It just seems to me that taking all your favors away is wrong thing IC, even for a Dark god, to do. Sure, take your life, but bleeding off all your favors if you're willing to die for a god? Strange.

It was something requested by The Bosses to discourage frivolous sacrifices, as person sacrifice is kind of a big deal and shouldn't be a common occurrence. It's not "wrong" at all; there are several ways a character might interpret it. After all, the associated crime is Forbidden Practices rather than Murder.

1) The dark gods simply hate the mortals.
2) Being sacrificed brings you so close to the gods momentarily that your soul sheds off its favors in an effort to just go to the Starry Road already.
3) Being sacrificed is the ultimate purification.
4) Sacrificers are psychotic individuals who hide the true intent behind the ritual, which may or may not be collecting people's favors to fuel the Elothean mothership.
5) God or demon, when you are sacrificed to it, it probably doesn't want you to stand back up right away. Not easily, anyway.

Pick your favorite.

>>Usually gods in most mythologies, and in major religions, promise all sorts of "good" things for their "martyrs" "sacrificial lambs", etc.

Yes, for the afterlife.

GM Grejuva
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/18/2012 10:22 AM CDT
The sacrifice attack is very cool (on critters), but I'm wondering if that works on players. Guess I will wait and see.
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/18/2012 11:01 AM CDT
Also,
>sacr ogre
Solemnly you utter, "None may defy the gods. Submit to their glory."
< Driving in like the irresistable force of a cyclone, you slice a dark steel scimitar with a polished flamewood hilt at a young ogre. A young ogre barely blocks with a leather-covered buckler. The scimitar lands a good strike to the ogre's left arm.
[You're bruised, incredibly balanced and have slight advantage.]
[Roundtime 4 sec.]

The air grows still and dreary, and you feel that the gods are displeased.
You stagger to your knees as your breath catches in your throat.

Guess one should be very careful about attempting this and failing. =P Fun!
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/18/2012 01:08 PM CDT

are there any plans on regulating a difference between , Good vs. Evil Sacrifices in the upcoming Cleric systems concerning deities ?
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/18/2012 02:48 PM CDT
>are there any plans on regulating a difference between , Good vs. Evil Sacrifices in the upcoming Cleric systems concerning deities ?

It's called free will. Or freedom of choice. There is no hard and fast line preventing a Hodierna cleric from performing rites to appease Trothfang or Everild or Asketi. Clerics may focus on one aspect of the 13/39 but they worship all 39 collectively.

That being said, it's not as cut and dried as 'good vs. evil' for the gods. There are shades of grey and morality tied up in them. The dark god aspects are dark. Not by definition or execution evil (though they can be, with ease).

Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/18/2012 04:12 PM CDT

>3) Being sacrificed is the ultimate purification.

Is there some advantage to it or is it for an RP benefit? If person sacrifice has to be done willingly and it comes at the cost of all favors, it seems rather pricy to do it just for fun.
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/18/2012 05:10 PM CDT
So the sacrifice attack does work on players (yay). Great for RP purposes. :-)

Solemnly Liurilias utters, "May the heavens judge your soul with kindness."
* Moving with powerful grace, Liurilias steps backward and then jabs at you. You barely block with a crocodile-skin buckler. The halberd lands a demolishing hit that explodes the heart and lungs with a bone-shattering blow to the chest.
The orb of swirling light flickers and dies, and you sense the magics of your Osrel Meraud spell depart.
Your death cry echoes in your brain as it quickly dawns on you that you have just died! Already, you feel the tug of eternity upon your soul and you struggle to remain tied to this world.

A chill takes the seat of your soul as your remaining spiritual strength bleeds away steadily. However, you are comforted that you have curried the favor of your god, which will greatly improve the course of your resurrection or reincarnation.
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/19/2012 12:18 AM CDT
So someone only loses all their favors if they willingly sacrifice themselves. If the person is unwilling, do they keep their favors? Also, is it true that you will lose devotion if you try to sacrifice something or someone that is of a lower circle?

Also, seriously, best verb EVER!! Once things get a little more defined with it, I think it's gonna give clerics who are interested a chance to better define themselves as light or dark clerics. And, of course, the added bonus of laying someone on an altar and stabbing them in the chest. Thats always a bonus.
Re: Sacrifice Verb 03/19/2012 12:37 AM CDT
>>So someone only loses all their favors if they willingly sacrifice themselves.

Yes.

>>If the person is unwilling, do they keep their favors?

Yes. An unwillingly sacrificed can only occur with the sacrifice attack part of the verb use. (apparently)

>>Also, is it true that you will lose devotion if you try to sacrifice something or someone that is of a lower circle?

Don't know. Haven't tried it and don't plan on it.
Re: Sacrifice Verb 11/27/2019 09:09 PM CST

>About the other part, I should've mentioned that while Animal Sacrifice is supported, the actual sacrificial animals aren't available yet. You can only do Combat Sacrifice and Person Sacrifice right now.

GM Grejuva

Is this something that's coming...eventually?
Commune durations 11/27/2019 09:30 PM CST
On the topic of communes: I feel like it was talked about sometime before but since I can't find it thus far - what is the updated formulae for commune duration with Theurgy?
IIRC Meraud's was something like Circle*3 or somesuch but I don't recall now specifically how all of them may have been changed by the introduction of Theurgy as a skill.
Re: Commune durations 11/27/2019 09:31 PM CST

Oh and since we're talking about communes...are we ever going to get rid of the need for the material components for usage? Or like, get some kind of more friendly way of storing all the necessary bits and bobs for communes and rituals?
Re: Commune durations 11/27/2019 10:19 PM CST
>>Oh and since we're talking about communes...are we ever going to get rid of the need for the material components for usage?

I'm not a "never" sort of person, but it's not something we're actively considering at the moment.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino