Tabletop Question 03/20/2006 01:33 AM CST
Any of y'all play D&D 3.x? I'm debating on the next book to add to our group.

Current list:
DMG
PHB
MM
Arms & Equipment
Song and Silence: A Guidebook to Bards and Rogues (Player Owned)
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Eberron Campaign Setting
Races of the Dragon
(Penumbra D20) Fantasy Bestiary
(Penumbra D20) Love & War

Anything that is dreadfully missing? The campaign is high fantasy, mostly Forgotten Realms with a little bit of Eberron-flare and alot of my group's creativity reshaping the world as we go to fit our needs (eg I completely remapped the kingdom of Cormyr and heavily modified the recent history to fit the politically beseiged war-torn kingdom I wanted to set the beginning of the campaign in).

At the moment I'm leaning toward the following:
Heroes of Battle (I'm about to run a slightly modified version of Red Hand of Doom, so figured this would be helpful)
DMG 2
MM 2
Complete Arcane (I have 2 soon-to-be dragon disciples in the party, so arcane magic plays a large role)

And a bonus question: anyone run/play Red Hand of Doom yet? I know it's only a month old, but surely some one has played it?

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

There's no escape
From death's embrace,
though you lead it on
a merry chase.
Re: Tabletop Question 03/20/2006 02:59 AM CST
Well I'm assuming you guys have moved up to 3.5, if you haven't then you should pick up the PHB/DMG/MM all in 3.5. MM2 is nice as well.

I notice you don't have the Psy handbook or Epic, which are both great books. I also don't know how you survive without the complete set of guidebooks, I think they may even be releasing a guidebook compendium at some point with all 5 of them in one hardcover, but if you've got Song and Silence you still need Sword and Fist, MotW, DoF, and Tome and Blood.

I'm also a fan of Deities and Demigods.

-Teeklin

This post (including the signature) is in no way meant to offend anyone nor is it an attempt to troll or be "cute". Hopefully my opinions do not conflict with yours in any way.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Re: Tabletop Question 03/20/2006 11:51 AM CST
I second Teeklin's 3.5 suggestion.

I also like Unearthed Arcana, the whole Complete series (Complete Warrior, Complete Adventurer, Complete Arcane, Complete Divine), and a few of the Faerun books... Races of Faerun and Magic of Faerun for instance.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

[pi]
Re: Tabletop Question 03/20/2006 04:34 PM CST
We have moved up to 3.5 (tangent: you can 'upgrade' to 3.5 without buying the 3.5 books by downloading the upgrade document at WotC website).

No Psy. I can't stand the idiotic way psys are handled in the rulebooks. Psyonics, what little there are, are handled by supernatural or spell-like abilities by class/race.

Epic? I've never seen this one. Is it useful for <12th level characters?

Guidebook compendium would be nice, but I don't see it on the releases for the next three months, and if I don't buy a new book in the next couple of weeks I'll spend the money on something less important, like food.

Since I'm using the Faerunian pantheon, is there a reason for me to pick up Deities and Demigods?

I think I'll pick up one of the guidebooks at the local game store. Need to call them in the morning so they'll have a chance to get it in by Friday!

Thanks for the reponses, gave me some things to think about.

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

There's no escape
From death's embrace,
though you lead it on
a merry chase.
Re: Tabletop Question 03/20/2006 04:59 PM CST
<<We have moved up to 3.5 (tangent: you can 'upgrade' to 3.5 without buying the 3.5 books by downloading the upgrade document at WotC website).>>

Technically, they've got the entire PHB up for free download. :P

<<Epic? I've never seen this one. Is it useful for <12th level characters?>>

No. Epic is specifically the rules that allow you to progress beyond 20th level, with new extra-powerful feats and abilities and enemies.

<<Since I'm using the Faerunian pantheon, is there a reason for me to pick up Deities and Demigods?>>

Yes. It's not just about a particular set of deities and/or demigods, I believe it also includes new feats, new prestige classes, new equipment... Oh, and rules for creating your own gods or for a player character to ascend to deific status. Which might extend even past the Epic handbook. :P

If I were to suggest ONE supplemental book, it would be Unearthed Arcana... But, then, it's been released under the SRD. So, no need to buy it. Failing that, I suggest the Complete series. Complete Warrior and Complete Adventurer are my favorite of the two, but I tend to favor fighters and rogues when I play. :P

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

[pi]
Re: Tabletop Question 03/20/2006 05:38 PM CST
>Epic? I've never seen this one. Is it useful for <12th level characters?

Yes.

What?

Fine. I'm wrong.
Re: Tabletop Question 03/20/2006 09:05 PM CST
I also happen to be in possession of a number of e-books strangely titled with word-collections that happen to coincide with a number of listings on the WotC site.

But then again, I haven't played in forever. They're reference while I design systems for games. =P

-- Holy Scholar Diarik Erasto, Arcane Researcher, in search of spiritweaving.

"A good war is very instructive." -- Me.
Re: Tabletop Question 03/20/2006 10:15 PM CST
>But then again, I haven't played in forever. They're reference while I design systems for games.

Funny you mentioned that. I was talking with my co-DM tonight and we got on a tangent of creating an entirely new system. If you have any resources that may help beyond the norm. I've got a good handle on world design, politics and the like. Just playing in the FR setting 'cause the players wanted to try it after reading Salvatore's romance-laced Dark Elf series. Primarily, I'm looking for resources on how others have gone about creating systems, either incorporated in the D20 rules or from scratch.

And to start the ball rolling, the WotC have a number of good articles on game design, written by their design and R&D team members. In addition, Rich Burlew's articles on game design are interesting, and good for jumpstarting the old imagination if nothing else (www.giantitp.com best known for the amusing Order of the Stick webcomic). Lastly, one of the best resources on the web: http://www.roleplayingtips.com

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

There's no escape
From death's embrace,
though you lead it on
a merry chase.