gods i hate my job 10/06/2005 01:32 AM CDT
I rarely say this but i am so tired of real life that isnt.Too many people make it harder that it has to be.now i know why i love the musicals of les miserables and wicked.
Re: gods i hate my job 10/06/2005 08:15 AM CDT
I went to sleep at 10 pm yesterday because I was frustrated myself (rather than sleeping at 2am +) So I know how you feel.

I am a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar.
Re: gods i hate my job 10/06/2005 09:34 AM CDT
>Too many people make it harder that it has to be.

Now this is the gods honest truth. If ya ain't bleedin, yer breathin, and yer heart's beatin, eh, you'll live. Next!

Don't know. After years working in the nuke industry, then going to work at a place where people go to die ... um, your problem was? Ok. Let me take some notes. I'll get back to you on that. Whatever.

>but i am so tired of real life that isnt.

Eh, life is what you make of it. You taught me that, hon. Relax, enjoy it, this too will pass. Even some of the nastiest stuff that's happened to me, eh, as long as it didn't actually threaten my life or livelihood, it wasn't and still isn't importaint.

Long way from the heart, hon, long way from the heart.

Dio, player of
Re: gods i hate my job 10/06/2005 10:46 AM CDT
>as long as it didn't actually threaten my life or livelihood, it wasn't and still isn't importaint.

I'll go one step further... as long as it didn't kill me it isn't that important.

Ever been doused with Hydrofloric Acid? Nasty stuff...

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal
Re: gods i hate my job 10/06/2005 10:59 AM CDT
>Ever been doused with Hydrofloric Acid? Nasty stuff...

Not doused, but been hit with it, yeah ... ow. That can definately be considered importaint. Life long scarring if you don't deal with it, now, that's importaint. Ok, so permanant physical damage is also something I consider importaint.

Most people, however, would classify, oh, say getting nailed by a skunk in the same category. Nah. Annoying, irritating, disgusting, awful, yeah ... importaint, not really. There won't be permanent physical damage no matter what you do about it.

Few people ever really sit down and realize that most of what they consider importaint in life really isn't.
Re: gods i hate my job 10/06/2005 11:38 AM CDT
>Life long scarring if you don't deal with it

Not visible scarring, Except for the slight limp... ;)

For those that don't know, HF basically eats the calcium out of your bones. Depending on the amount/time you are exposed it can cause cardiac arrest (calcium in the blood shuts the heart down) almost instantly. Treatment includes a 30 minute rinse, followed up by a minimum of 6 VERY painful caclium injections. Think old school 'rabie series' shots, then double it. I've had both, and the calcium shots are much worse.

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal
Re: gods i hate my job 10/06/2005 12:00 PM CDT
>Not visible scarring, Except for the slight limp... ;)

Ya know, and I thought I had it bad when I was messing with Californium, Strontium 90, Cobalt 60 and all that happy horse stuff all day long unbadged. Sheesh. Never did get badged though. Wasn't worth the effort since I wasn't ever gonna be a dad.
Re: gods i hate my job 10/06/2005 12:14 PM CDT
>Wasn't worth the effort since I wasn't ever gonna be a dad.

I know this won't affect you, but this made me recall something.

My friend worked on a nuclear submarines 12-15 years ago (something like that... before it was required that they wear badges at any rate). He worked in the reactor room 10 hours a day for 3 years, minus the few days a year of mandatory shore leave. A new policy (whatever the navy calls it) was passed that the reactor and surrounding area had to be tested for radiation levels periodically. The levels were so high the 4 crewmen that worked in the reactor room, my friend included, were immediately transfered off ship and put under medical observation for over 6 months. He was told he was sterile... you know military medical efficiency; whatever else you want to say about the military, they tested him 3 times ("One thing I learned from the experience," he would say. "Nothing is impossible after having to give a [censored] sample with another dude watching."). He had a kid just over a year ago, a perfectly healthy gorgeous little girl.

Moral of the story - heck if I know, I just like the story. It's even more entertaining when he tells it, including the vulgarities that would give me a warning here. The phrase, 'cursing like a sailor' is no exaggeration where he's concerned.

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal
Re: gods i hate my job 10/06/2005 12:25 PM CDT
<<Ever been doused with Hydrofloric Acid? Nasty stuff...

No I haven't. Yes it is nasty (scariest buyable chemical in a lab IMHO). It's the chemical EVERY safety video warns you about for like 15 minutes.

But I play with it everyday! Gads I love/hate being a chemistry grad student.

Nikpack
Re: gods i hate my job 10/06/2005 12:45 PM CDT
>Moral of the story - heck if I know, I just like the story.

<chuckle> Yeah, like the guy who was one of the leads on the Manhattan Project, lit a cigarette off the first aboveground test, chain smoked, picked up thousands of lifetime REMs ... and lived well into his 80's and finally died from something like getting hit by a truck. Go figure. Radiation is weird stuff. Some people fly cross country once and get lymphoma, others, like the guy I mention above, do everything imaginable to mess up their DNA and die of old age, basically.

>Yes it is nasty (scariest buyable chemical in a lab IMHO).

I think the worst chem accident I ever heard of was a woman who got hit with a whole bucket of benzine while pregnant. That was, uh, gruesome, to say the least. <shudder>

Generally, its the stuff like perchloric acid, pure sodium, um, generally the stuff we loved playing with in chem class. The point of chemestry is to blow things up, right? Although the organics, I think, can be far worse than the inorganics. Hex-nitro-toluene anyone?
Re: gods i hate my job 10/07/2005 02:18 PM CDT
>a woman who got hit with a whole bucket of benzine while pregnant.

I can only begin to image the horror.

I am a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar.