Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/09/2016 06:16 AM CDT
Could use a cyclic TM spell - something like HyH that can take a couple targeted spells, FF, Horn, and what-have-you.

Also Clerics being the harness/attunement freaks that they are perhaps a high level ability to run two cyclic spells at once. :)

commence yelling.
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/09/2016 06:50 AM CDT

> Could use a cyclic TM spell - something like HyH that can take a couple targeted spells, FF, Horn, and what-have-you.

I'm a proponent of this, even if it's undead only.

> Also Clerics being the harness/attunement freaks that they are perhaps a high level ability to run two cyclic spells at once. :)

Bards first ;)
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/09/2016 07:15 AM CDT
A cyclic TM spell isn't out of the question for clerics, though I'm hesitant to introduce any more of those to the game until we've better balanced them.

Two cyclics at once would require a complete and total rewrite of the cyclic system and I'm leery if it could be balanced at all. If it were to even happen it would almost certainly be a Bardic feat.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/09/2016 10:28 AM CDT
To be honest it would be nice to see something fun like cyclic TM NOT be undead only... So many of our best offensive spells already are undead only and Time of the Red Spiral which is our newest feature is also undead only. If we were to have a second battery type spell akin to HyH it could be compatible with HE perhaps in addition to some of the non-undead lower tier TM spells. Or a completely new spell.

OR start filling in the gaps in hunting area's with more undead critters. It's just so often hunting undead isn't the best option especially when you want to keep up on skills like skinning.
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/09/2016 10:39 AM CDT

Clerics already have FoU. I'm not sure why they'd need a cyclic TM on top of that. Personally, I think Clerics undead hunting emphasis is pretty weak, and they already have a lot of tools for fighting the living.
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/09/2016 11:50 AM CDT
Am I missing something here...? It's even DFA to boot.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Soul_Attrition

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/09/2016 12:34 PM CDT

>>Am I missing something here...? It's even DFA to boot.

Its a pvp spell, its not viable for pve except maybe in conjunction with using chill spirit, otherwise if you sustain it you'll die from losing spirit using it at minimum prep even with auspice and glythtide's gift up.
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/09/2016 01:20 PM CDT
SA also dissipates with one single death, making you re-cast it, unless that changed since I last used the spell. When people want a TM cyclic, they want one you can just turn on and forget about 'cept for lootin' any corpses. SA does not help with lazy TM training, that's for sure.

(I don't need cyclic TM. I use FoU and HyH.)
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/09/2016 03:01 PM CDT

>>Two cyclics at once would require a complete and total rewrite of the cyclic system and I'm leery if it could be balanced at all. If it were to even happen it would almost certainly be a Bardic feat.

That does sound super bardy, sounds like a great idea for them tbh.
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/09/2016 03:14 PM CDT
<<That does sound super bardy, sounds like a great idea for them tbh.

We've been asking for it since... well, how long have Bards been around now? ;)

Although I already have to work to maintain a single combat cyclic with any degree of power, so maintaining two at once would likely be next to impossible unless reducing the mana used by a lot. Although, that could be considered a check and balance of its own, I suppose. In either case, it would really only effectively be a high level bard thing even if it could be accessed by lower level ones.

Back on topic... thanks for explaining the limitations of SA. As for clerics getting a "traditional" TM cyclic, I think they're a bit overrated. From a perspective of someone who has both a bard and warrior mage with both cyclic tm and debil options, I almost exclusively use the debil ones over the TM. In PvE, having a constant effect debuffing everything is much more useful than a damaging effect. The latter burns through creatures too fast to train other stuff effectively with, so is really only useful for farming or showing off in invasions. E.g. I typically turn on PYRE at the end of my hunt to farm up some extra boxes quickly if I'm short on them, but otherwise I'm running DALU the whole time. HYH sounds so amazingly good, that I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to give it up in favour of a tm cyclic. That said, they do help in certain situations like the duskruin arena where you want to be able to stack as much damage as possible in as short amount a time as possible, but that's pretty niche. And as for PvP applications, SA seems to fit that bill already.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/09/2016 03:26 PM CDT
>>Back on topic... thanks for explaining the limitations of SA. As for clerics getting a "traditional" TM cyclic, I think they're a bit overrated. From a perspective of someone who has both a bard and warrior mage with both cyclic tm and debil options, I almost exclusively use the debil ones over the TM. In PvE, having a constant effect debuffing everything is much more useful than a damaging effect. The latter burns through creatures too fast to train other stuff effectively with, so is really only useful for farming or showing off in invasions. E.g. I typically turn on PYRE at the end of my hunt to farm up some extra boxes quickly if I'm short on them, but otherwise I'm running DALU the whole time. HYH sounds so amazingly good, that I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to give it up in favour of a tm cyclic. That said, they do help in certain situations like the duskruin arena where you want to be able to stack as much damage as possible in as short amount a time as possible, but that's pretty niche. And as for PvP applications, SA seems to fit that bill already.

You arent wrong. TM Cyclic's are a niche. I also wouldnt want to surrender the versatility of hyh male specifically for a cyclic TM, frankly aoe damage isnt an issue for cleric, fou works fine and teaches just fine.

Yes though I agree for duskruin arena I believe a cyclic AOE would be ridiculously powerful, but like you pointed out, incredibly niche.

For PVP, you'd be surprised how few people understand SA. Since you cant move after casting it, unless you hilariously outclass someone with your charisma they can simply walk into a safe room and remove the mechanic entirely. This spell is pretty much useless in pve so its not even worth discussing in terms of that. If you do outclass the target in the stat contest though it is a very brutal way to kill someone, and generally not considered very nice, even among those who pvp a lot.
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/09/2016 04:00 PM CDT

Honestly don't care if its cyclic or not, though a different source of damage for an aoe would be nice. Something weighted towards pierce/slice/impact so we have something against living things that are immune to elemental damage.
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/09/2016 06:02 PM CDT

i don't mind undead only spells because that's how I see clerical niches. I think it would be cool to not, but it's one of the few non-homonized parts of the game. I like the battery aspect though. You could create AOE aspects of FF, CHS, or Horn. Maybe reduce each strike to 60-70% value to offset the AOE benefit.
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/09/2016 07:59 PM CDT
Well I agree that HyH rules and I love it - use it all the time and wouldn't stop.

And I also agree that bards deserve 2 cyclic's.

But I would argue that Bards and Clerics BOTH deserve the ability to run multiple cyclic's. They are both core features of the class and are represented in the free feats the guilds get. Raw Channeling and Efficient Channeling respectively. It would be fun to see them offered at different circles though perhaps Bards acquiring it at circle 50 while clerics not until 100. Or something to that effect.

And ultimately this would pave the way for a cyclic TM being so fun, we could run HyH and a TM at the same time.

Also I find that I am able to run my cyclic's while maintaining a net gain in my overall attunement without issue. Running two would cause that to no longer be the case which would help to keep some checks and balances in place.
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/09/2016 10:53 PM CDT
Yeah, because what clerics need is a way to keep more spells going at the same time.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/09/2016 11:07 PM CDT

Clerics already have the ability to turn multiple spells into "cyclics" and use them simultaneously. It's via OM. Personally, I think bards need an "OM" that copies and applies the effects of cyclics without taking up the cyclic spot. Mechanically, that could be used only for buffing spells like BoTF, HODI, EYE, GJ, CARE (?), FAE, and SANC (parts). Anyway, I digress.

Clerics, to me at least, feel more about the metaspells, buffing, anti-undead, utility, and spirit manipulation. That's why I think cyclics that utilize those domains would make more sense than just running multiple cyclics at once.
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/10/2016 12:36 AM CDT

>SA also dissipates with one single death, making you re-cast it, unless that changed since I last used the spell.

As of magic 3.2 that changed. SA is now indefinite and moves over to whatever youre facing. Its still a single target spell though.
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/10/2016 12:45 AM CDT
So basically a DFA, non-undead only version of SLS then. I use SLS whenever I can on my Moon Mage, since it's a decent spell. But I also don't have a HYH equivalent to compete with it for the cyclic slot.

Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/10/2016 12:47 AM CDT

Id like to see a cleric cyclic TM, but i imagine it in the way of a sorecerous spell. And fitting the undead niche since giving clerics a overall cyclic tm seems a but overkillish. Id like to see something like the cleric binding/summoning the souls/essence of things its recently killed, or opening a conduit to the void. Then forcing them into combat around the cleric. Imagine something like indiana jones when they open the ark of the covenant... while somehow making it only hurt undead.. maybe the spirits fight to take over the undead/cursed body and do damage to it as they try to pull/push/tear their way in til it eventually falls apart. Shrug, i dont know but it sounds clericy and sorcerous to me and it sounds like a good aoe cyclic.. you get the basic idea. Im horrible at explaining things in my head..
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/10/2016 12:59 AM CDT

>So basically a DFA, non-undead only version of SLS then.

Yes but SLS doesn't slowly kill you if you dont keep one of two, or both spells active on you (auspice and SOS). And even a capped SOS doesnt last for many hits.
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/10/2016 02:02 AM CDT
>>For PVP, you'd be surprised how few people understand SA. Since you cant move after casting it, unless you hilariously outclass someone with your charisma they can simply walk into a safe room and remove the mechanic entirely.

Not going to claim to be an expert with SA, but this has not been my experience with the spell. I, and others I know, have died in several different safe rooms after this spell was cast on us.
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/10/2016 07:45 AM CDT

> Id like to see a cleric cyclic TM, but i imagine it in the way of a sorecerous spell. And fitting the undead niche since giving clerics a overall cyclic tm seems a but overkillish. Id like to see something like the cleric binding/summoning the souls/essence of things its recently killed, or opening a conduit to the void.

I still like the meta idea, but I like this idea too. I wouldn't want it to be a summoned creature in the same vein of GS or Zombies though. Maybe tearing open a hole to the void.
+ Highly effective against undead, necro, cursed. Gods are moderately supportive. They don't like that you're messing with the void, but they ignore it because you're sending undead there.
+ Moderately effective against NPCs. Creatures without favors are of little interest to the gods. They're just slightly annoyed that you're messing with their void.
+ Not effective against players. You can use it, but it tanks your devotion and favors act as a "shield" greatly reducing or eliminating the damage.

Effects:
- Buildup time.
- Room effect: the room becomes a dark room.
- Periodically, a slight tug will pull at your targets, draining their spirit and vitality.
- Esoteric follow-up (conduit) that lets you open a second portal to the void and connect the two within the void. You get a portion of the drain depending on spell power.
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/10/2016 09:12 AM CDT

>>Not going to claim to be an expert with SA, but this has not been my experience with the spell. I, and others I know, have died in several different safe rooms after this spell was cast on us.

It most certainly works this way unless something changed in 3.2
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/10/2016 09:28 AM CDT
>>It most certainly works this way unless something changed in 3.2

No, it's been working that way since long before 3.2. Safe rooms do not end SA, in general, unless there is one specific one most of the game does not know about that functionally kills the spell.
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/10/2016 09:36 AM CDT
Yeah if you're getting tagged by SA your best bet is to run for holy ground so you at least share the pain.

Vote:
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/10/2016 01:27 PM CDT
Even though I love this use of SA on a personal level, I gotta say that "at least you can inconvenience the cleric in a minor way too" is such a sorry defense against a single cast (that also stuns you and makes it generally hard to GET to a holy room). Still a good idea!
Re: Cleric Spells (cyclic) 08/10/2016 06:23 PM CDT
Oh yeah I wasn't offering it as a defense. You're probably going to die before you can get to a sanctified room anyway unless you're real familiar with where they are and have the presence of mind (or script) to run to one. If your evasion is losing to the cleric's tm there is no defense.

Vote: