Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 06/27/2016 06:52 PM CDT
This seems such a tragedy! These communes very much flavor the feel of playing a cleric - it's supposed to be all about the connection between the cleric and the gods... and yet there are only a total of 7 communes (plus rezz). In an effort to remedy this, I have put together the suggestions below of things that I would like to see in the remaining gods' communes. I've thought through them enough to create more than one possibility for each god. The hope is that we might be able to stretch the new communes up to at least 100th circle, if not 120. I just can't believe that we know all but one of them as of level 35, and get our final one at 60...

We currently have no communes for the following gods. Here are my suggestions:

Damaris - 1: poisons the target’s weapon
Damaris - 2: puts the user into hiding/invisibility with a buff to their stealth at StealthSkill+2xCircle.

Hav’roth1: mining & lumberjacking buff – either individual-based, or potentially room-based to increase the output of the room in which this commune takes place.
Hav’roth2: creates a sirese flower

Faenella1: creates a mournful lament that reaches out in search of a lost soul (to locate a dead individual stated in the commune.
Faenella2: calls down a beautiful sonata that causes all in the room to a peaceful pause (10 second duration, pushes everyone to max range and denies all engagement/combat activity for that time – creatures do not leave the room and immediately re-engage afterwards – can only be cast in combat, LONG cooldown (4 hours?)
Faenella3: calls upon Faenella to provide a stage for a presentation. Remains until Host dismantles it or has been offline for an hour. Must be cast upon a bard, who serves as the stage’s Host in command of the stage – they may change it to various scenes (a desert, a river, an ocean, a forest, or a plain). The Host also determines who from the Crowd may become a Performer (only Performers and the Host are shown as present in the room, the remainder are “others”).

Everild1: Increases one’s Melee and Ranged Mastery by an amount equal to a % of their devotion (100% + X, where X is the percentage of maximum devotion that they are currently at) for the next 20 minutes.
Everild2: Enrages target to take 25% more damage and deal 50% more damage for the duration. Duration is determined by their level of devotion (same as above). After the enrage, the bonus is dropped, while penalty to damage taken remains for a duration equal to the duration of the buff.

The question that I would like to pose for our GM, and for the community as a whole, is what would it take to incorporate a new commune into the Cleric guild? Is there any way that we as a community might be able to assist and expedite the process of adding one or several of these?

~ Josaikin
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 06/27/2016 07:15 PM CDT

>>The question that I would like to pose for our GM, and for the community as a whole, is what would it take to >>incorporate a new commune into the Cleric guild?

A Miracle.
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 06/27/2016 08:10 PM CDT

> A Miracle.

I laughed out loud, but let's play the game of what if.

> Damaris - 1: poisons the target’s weapon

That sounds like what I'd expect to see in the poisons craft. Instead, why not have this flip the effects of bless. Rather than a damage bonus to undead, let it damage the living. You die if you attack anything considered a child (baby or fledgling or maybe young in the name).

> Hav’roth – 1: mining & lumberjacking buff – either individual-based, or potentially room-based to increase the output of the room in which this commune takes place.

Going with the sirese theme, make this make the ground fertile enough to plant a sirese seed.

> Faenella – 1: creates a mournful lament that reaches out in search of a lost soul (to locate a dead individual stated in the commune.

+ immediately gives you the vigil effect on them.

> Faenella – 2: calls down a beautiful sonata that causes all in the room to a peaceful pause (10 second duration, pushes everyone to max range and denies all engagement/combat activity for that time – creatures do not leave the room and immediately re-engage afterwards – can only be cast in combat, LONG cooldown (4 hours?)

They took that effect away from Maraud's commune, so I assume they wouldn't want us to have that function. Instead, how about this making us invisible to undead, like innocence does for the living.

> Faenella – 3: calls upon Faenella to provide a stage for a presentation.

Bards can already do this with playact. No one uses it except for a lark here and there.

And some more ideas

* Boltof's - Champion - Summons an avatar of Boltof that taunts everything off you. Guardian spirit reskin.

* Peri'el - Might - Your weapon and magic masteries swap. New melee/missle mastery = old primary magic. New primary magic = highest of missile /melee mastery.

* Alamhif - Bridge - Open a gap into the bridge of life and death, draining spirit from everything in the room not protected by soul shield. Especially effective against non-corporeal undead.

* Everild - Burial - Cast on a grave, summons the owner of the grave to your location. Does not work on necromancer graves.

* Asketi - Vampire - You steal life from anything you hit (brawling only), assuming it has life to give.

* Divyaush - Gift - A welkin shows up to give you new supplies. The first time it just gives you a cleric's satchel. This holds and stacks commune items. Wine. Incense. Holy oil. Holy water.

* Firulf - Shock - Summon's forth Firulf's staff. It's basically a consumable lightning wand that you can chain. It uses your scholarship + arcana to determine RT and Thuergy to determine strength + charges.

* Huldah - Storm - Summons Huldah's lightning storm, effectively a fire-rain clone that uses electric + piercing. DFA, AOE.

* Albreda - Balm - You guessed it.

... that moment when you realize bards are effectively pretend clerics.
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 06/27/2016 08:37 PM CDT
Since all of the original communes are to the Neutral aspects, it seems prudent that we keep it strictly to those until they are filled out.

There are some good points here - poison will later be a thing. Maybe it could be what you suggest: flipping "bless" to be a special thing that only effects the caster's weapon and allows the Bless effect to harm the living equally to the undead.

I like the addition of fertile ground to the mining/lumberjacking thing. ...and the Vigil to the deader idea.

I also think that the Peace + Meraud IS powerful and definitely would merit separation... but I'd be willing to wager that the 10-second peace thing could totally fly solo.
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 06/27/2016 09:20 PM CDT

> Since all of the original communes are to the Neutral aspects, it seems prudent that we keep it strictly to those until they are filled out.

I kind of like the idea of having light based and dark based communes. They're learned simultaneously, and they're easier or harder (impossible?) to use based on your own alignment. Still though. I see where you're coming from. Neutral communes, light/dark spells.

> flipping "bless" to be a special thing that only effects the caster's weapon and allows the Bless effect to harm the living equally to the undead.

It's basically a dark blessing. I don't see why you couldn't cast it on others or their weapons in the same way. Maybe holy blood instead of oil.

> I also think that the Peace + Meraud IS powerful and definitely would merit separation... but I'd be willing to wager that the 10-second peace thing could totally fly solo.

Agreed. It's called Alberda's Balm. Bards have it. I think it would be fine for clerics to have a version of it too, like their version of blood staunch, but I don't expect clerics to get new communes until a few other guilds had their abilities fleshed out. I see this is a fun little thought experiment that won't extend into anything useful - or not, I'm honestly not sure how the GMs decide to work on projects.
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 06/28/2016 10:02 AM CDT

I'll bite.

Commune Urrem'tier: High circle (100th?) commune. Separates spirit from body, allowing spirit to travel to any shrine or temple based on Theurgy. While in spirit form, unable to interact with anything physically but able to cast certain Spirit Manipulation/Divine Intervention spells- Rejuvenation, Soul bonding, Vigil, and Resurrection. Spirit slowly drained while in this form, upon reaching zero you succumb to a spirit death, in which case you depart to the shrine/temple that you traveled to.
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 09/15/2016 04:43 PM CDT
BUMP + My own spin:

Current Communes:
Tamsine (2nd circle) - +Targeted Magic skill, vs. undead only
Eluned(water) (3rd Circle) - create holy water
Kertigen's (8th Circle) - bless weapon
Hodierna's (12th Circle) - staunch bleeding
Eluned(swim) (15th Circle) - +Athletics
Merauds (20th Circle) - +Mana level(all but arcane), -Mana level(arcane)
Glythtide's (35th Circle) - create marriage and divorce roses
Truffenyi (60th Circle) - Convert offering into a favor orbs/return favor orbs

Missing Gods:
Damaris (5th Circle) - invis(30 seconds)/+Stealth Skill (longer duration)
- Maybe require a powder to be made before hand - you grab the powder and commune damaris

Faenella (Circle 10) - +Performance skill/devotion multiplier for recite/play hymm at altar when active

Chadatru (Circle 75) - Protection against Stalking/Thievery (stuns and knocks out of hiding if wins check)

Everild(defense) (Circle 90) - 15% boost to defensive skills

Hav'roth (Circle 105) - A cage of earth erupts around you protecting you from all engagement (short lasting but NPC's will roam as if you are not in room)

Everild (Circle 120) - +15% boost to weapon skills

Urrem'tier (Circle 150) - Takes you to a section of the starry road - you must leave before a timer expires and you die. Timer based off theurgy - exits based off prayer badge.
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 09/15/2016 06:29 PM CDT

> Urrem'tier (Circle 150) - Takes you to a section of the starry road - you must leave before a timer expires and you die. Timer based off theurgy - exits based off prayer badge.

Great idea!
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 09/16/2016 10:44 AM CDT
Awesome ideas!
Except:
>Everild(defense) (Circle 90) - 15% boost to defensive skills
We already buff evasion, shield and defending 20%, so that would only add parry in since buffs don't stack in today's world.
That Damaris commune you suggested though... dear god that would be nice.

For this one:
>Urrem'tier (Circle 150) - Takes you to a section of the starry road - you must leave before a timer expires and you die. Timer based off theurgy - exits based off prayer badge.
Is that like a Cleric "fast" travel? We go to the starry road and if we have an Aesry altar on our pilgrim's badge we can go there? I really like that idea as well and not being able to hang out there because the Void will try to claim you is great, I'd want a long cooldown on it though, like an hour I think. It would be great since clerics could potentially travel to places to help raise people, I more or less gave up trying to help people since I've started training on the islands, just too much of a hassle to get back and forth, even with JJ, I don't wanna just throw away my $$ for a 2 minute rez and come back to what I was doing.
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 09/16/2016 12:28 PM CDT
Full disclosure - I phoned the Everilds in because I couldn't think of anything great.
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 09/16/2016 12:41 PM CDT

> Full disclosure - I phoned the Everilds in because I couldn't think of anything great.

If we're day dreaming, based off Elanthipedia's description of the god, I'd move it up or have it swap places with another commune.

- Summon an avatar or army of avatars to help us kill things over a short period.
- Emergency defense. If we're stunned, mortally wounded, or otherwise severely injured then a warrior of Everild shows up to taunt the creature away.
- Summon an army that spreads our casts. We attack something, spirits appear to attack everything else in the room. We cast DR. Spirits appear to copy the cast on everything else in the room.
- Large vitality boost/shield, or a stamina buff.
- Extend spell durations currently on you or your target by 30-60 minutes (intended to make battle spells more easily managed)
- Teleport you or your target to your/their grave (Pre-MF utility) OR summons your or their grave to you/them.
- Teleport you to someone who has died recently. Maybe zone limitations. Summon a warrior to bury them, and you hitch a ride.
- Turn a corpse into an altar. Allows devotion rituals. Prevents skinning/looting.
- Prevent room spawns. When something would spawn, you see a message that a ghostly warrior quickly dispatched it.
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 09/16/2016 12:59 PM CDT
Rain spirit arrows from the sky onto enemies in your room and all adjacent rooms. Doesn't hit PC's - Doesn't train anything. Just kills thing. (think of the invasion fun haha)
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 09/16/2016 01:02 PM CDT
Now some of these idea's might be a bit out of hand - but I really do think each neutral aspect deserves a commune. Whether or not that one day goes into all aspects is another thing (or just allow us to commune to Meraud/Firulf/Kerenhappuch for the same meraud commune just with different flavor text
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 09/16/2016 03:54 PM CDT
>- Teleport you or your target to your/their grave (Pre-MF utility) OR summons your or their grave to you/them.
>- Teleport you to someone who has died recently. Maybe zone limitations. Summon a warrior to bury them, and you hitch a ride.

As much as I would love to see teleportation come our way, I doubt it ever will. However, that being said....

Since we are supposedly master of spirit, it might be cool to be able to transport our spirit to another location.

~Gab
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 09/16/2016 05:29 PM CDT
>>>> As much as I would love to see teleportation come our way, I doubt it ever will. However, that being said....

As a commune? I doubt it myself. Raesh did mention that a teleport might be released as an antinomic sorcery spell though.
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 01/17/2017 08:37 AM CST
Just because this thread needs a bump! Rounding out at least the 13 communes should be priority numero uno as far as Cleric development goes - or ANY development in fact. Hit the pause button on trader magic/enchanting - Remember the 'Gods' grant us these gifts, we should first pay tribute to them in the form of badass communes.

Newest idea (semi similar to previous Chadatru idea)

Commune Chadatru - Circle 75
Bathes the area in holy light removing anyone from hiding (as there are no longer any shadows) - room becomes unhideable for a duration

maybe 10sec/circle. that's 12.5 min at circle 75 and 33 min at 200th
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 01/17/2017 02:53 PM CST

With the new luck system rolling out I thought now would be a good time to bring up another possible commune!

Commune Divyaush
Duration (to be determined)
Effect - Fading Luck Bonus
+3 for first 10% of Duration
+2 for next 30% of Duration
+1 for last 60% of Duration

Example (duration 10 Seconds/Level Level 100)
1000 Second (total)
100 Seconds at +3 (1 min 40 seconds)
300 Seconds at +2 (5 min)
600 Seconds at +1 (10 min)
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 01/17/2017 11:18 PM CST

I had this exact same thought. Clerics, Bards, and Moon Mages seem like they all should get something that modifies luck.

Clerics could get the commune. Make it a constant drain on devotion for the duration, no material requirements, no quest. You have a random chance of learning it when you increase your devotion level after a certain circle. That chance rises as you increase your devotion. This commune would require no material components.

While we're at it, can we get a "greater blessing" or something that will give a constant and steady devotion increase while it's up? Make it work like that bard spell, words of something, or just make it reduce the devotion cost for using communes while it's up. Up to 80% at full power. Does not affect learning rates. Maybe it just refunds it rather than reducing it.
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 01/18/2017 12:53 AM CST
I don't see Clerics accessing the luck system, as a cleric player. I think Thieves or Bards probably have more lore behind the idea.
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 01/18/2017 12:59 AM CST

<I don't see Clerics accessing the luck system, as a cleric player. I think Thieves or Bards probably have more lore behind the idea.

I agree. It seems to me the whole idea of faith in and reverence to the Immortals is sort of the opposite of luck. Obviously what exactly luck is is open to debate, but random chance strikes me as being different from divine intervention which, by definition, is willful.
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 01/18/2017 01:12 AM CST
It's worth noting that of the 2 existing teleologic spells that involve the Pattern of Luck; one infuses elemental mana with lunar and the other infuses holy mana with lunar. I could see Bards or Clerics (or even Paladins with a magic rewrite and guild identity rewrite) influencing luck. Another thing to note is that +3 luck is termed Divine.

Commune Zachriedek: Nuke the luck of everyone around you?

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 01/18/2017 01:23 AM CST
>Obviously what exactly luck is is open to debate, but random chance strikes me as being different from divine intervention which, by definition, is willful.

I don't think DR luck works like that from a lore standpoint (obviously it does mechanically as an RNG mechanism influencer). Of course anything can be retconned or interpreted differently. Moon mages mostly believe that either Fate predates the Immortals or that it is their creation and yet they have become bound to it's laws through some mechanism.

'The luck that teleologic sorcerers deal with is not the 'good' or even 'bad' luck of folklore, but a force of improbability, which they believe twists fate and slackens iron-clad destiny into shades of probability'

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Sever_Thread

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 01/18/2017 04:37 AM CST
>>It's worth noting that of the 2 existing teleologic spells that involve the Pattern of Luck; one infuses elemental mana with lunar and the other infuses holy mana with lunar.

Eh, I wouldn't read too far into that.

Teleologic 'Luck' is a bit weird. In general holy blended Teleologic spells strengthen fate and elemental ones weaken it. Since luck, in this form, is rather the antithesis of Prophecy, you should expect the Teleologic Sorcery that manipulates the Luck stat to also be Elemental influenced. If anything, holy influenced Teleologic Sorcery would tend to force your luck to "average" and nullify anything that pushes you towards either end of the spectrum.

-Raesh

"Sometimes, I worry that I’m not the hero everyone thinks I am..." - Mistborn
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 01/18/2017 08:25 AM CST

I could see clerics accessing luck system. It would fit in the whole curse idea. Curse the luck of creature/person or curse the room. Clerics could be the bringers of bad luck
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 01/18/2017 09:19 AM CST

<I don't think DR luck works like that from a lore standpoint (obviously it does mechanically as an RNG mechanism influencer). Of course anything can be retconned or interpreted differently. Moon mages mostly believe that either Fate predates the Immortals or that it is their creation and yet they have become bound to it's laws through some mechanism.

Good point, I hadn't considered "capital F"-Fate, and I'll admit that I'm not that knowledgeable of Moon Mage lore. Given that Fate isn't directly part of the Cleric Guild's current mainstream pantheon (as you say, that could be changed, and certainly there could be clerics who devote themselves to Fate), it feels like a system that doesn't sit cleanly with Clerical lore.
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 01/18/2017 11:15 AM CST

> I agree. It seems to me the whole idea of faith in and reverence to the Immortals is sort of the opposite of luck. Obviously what exactly luck is is open to debate, but random chance strikes me as being different from divine intervention which, by definition, is willful.

I can see that. It's an interesting idea for anti-luck though. A way of neutralizing bad-luck through faith.
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 01/18/2017 05:44 PM CST
<I could see clerics accessing luck system. It would fit in the whole curse idea. Curse the luck of creature/person or curse the room. Clerics could be the bringers of bad luck

Clerics don't need luck when they have Malediction
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 01/18/2017 09:10 PM CST
I mean in the end - lore-wise there really isn't anything you can't fit under the spectrum of Clerics since everything is represented by the pantheon.

In this instance Divyaush has 'luck' within his sphere of influence and therefore an ability attributed to him would have reason to effect the luck skill.

Honestly - pick any ability or skill and there is a god it can be related to and therefor put within the realm of the Cleric guild.
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 01/19/2017 12:04 AM CST
>I mean in the end - lore-wise there really isn't anything you can't fit under the spectrum of Clerics since everything is represented by the pantheon.

The Cleric guild, while more closely aligned with the Immortals than anyone else, still has their own mortal institutions and biases, and their magical patterns will reflect areas of specialty like anyone else

I also dislike this chain of logic from a game design perspective. The concrete idea of "spheres of influence" has gone away but specific guilds still have specific specialties, Clerics don't get a free pass on anything they might want because of the Immortals.
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 01/19/2017 10:18 AM CST
>>I mean in the end - lore-wise there really isn't anything you can't fit under the spectrum of Clerics since everything is represented by the pantheon.

Keep in mind that in-game lore (AKA: What characters believe) doesn't explicitly represent in-game reality (AKA: What Immortals can actually accomplish).

It's been hinted at numerous times throughout the years that the Immortals tend to oversell themselves on a daily basis. While their powers are great, they're not, for example, immortal.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 01/19/2017 12:01 PM CST
My only question is this. If luck as a concept is divorced from Holy or Immortal influence, then why was "Divine" chosen as the name for the best possible luck? Maybe it's just a coincidence, but it still seems like a really odd choice to me.
Re: Several gods are have no communes - Let's do something about that! 01/19/2017 01:18 PM CST
>>My only question is this. If luck as a concept is divorced from Holy or Immortal influence, then why was "Divine" chosen as the name for the best possible luck?

I personally wouldn't look too much into it, IMO it's similar to how someone might describe strength as god-like. I wouldn't argue that kings are able to create/provide luck if someone said they're as lucky as a king.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.