Burning sorcery 02/13/2016 12:59 AM CST
It would be cool if there was a sacred brazier or pyre somewhere in the High Temple or one of the guilds that a Paladin or Cleric could go chuck necromancy and sorcery spell scrolls into for soul/devotion. Maybe the latter could just be a Light-aligned ritual but necromancy should work for anyone. Either way, I think Paladins should get a soul benefit from it too, I'm just not sure where to post a suggestion for both at the same time.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Burning sorcery 02/13/2016 01:11 AM CST
Wholly agree. I too would like to see a static brazier in the main temple but also methods for both paladins and clerics to do it on the fly for devotion/soul state wherever they are.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Burning sorcery 02/13/2016 02:28 AM CST
Hmmm.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Burning sorcery 02/13/2016 08:47 AM CST
Cool idea

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

Re: Burning sorcery 02/13/2016 12:40 PM CST

Yes please
Re: Burning sorcery 02/13/2016 01:16 PM CST
Said brazier should burn you alive if you currently have any sorcery spells learned. Not that is matters at the moment, but clerics at least are getting access to their own type of sorcery in Antinomic Sorcery right? Also if other lay / feral sorcery comes out.
Re: Burning sorcery 02/13/2016 01:55 PM CST
>Said brazier should burn you alive if you currently have any sorcery spells learned.

That seems reasonable...if you climbed into the fire and rolled around.

Vote:
Re: Burning sorcery 02/13/2016 02:21 PM CST
>Said brazier should burn you alive if....

Can stepping into such a brazier please please be part of the necromancer Redeemed quest?

And a paladin quest? And several cleric quests?

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Burning sorcery 02/13/2016 03:14 PM CST
I kind of hope it isn't possible to be aligned to, get favors from, or do rituals for Light deities if you have sorcery invoked/memorized. But that's just me.

Thayet

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Burning sorcery 02/13/2016 04:50 PM CST

I was curious why cleric's didn't take a devotion hit from casting sorcery ....
Re: Burning sorcery 02/13/2016 04:59 PM CST

>>I was curious why cleric's didn't take a devotion hit from casting sorcery ....

Because the gods don't care about sorcery, just necromancy which we do take a devotion hit for if cast.
Re: Burning sorcery 02/13/2016 05:22 PM CST

>I was curious why cleric's didn't take a devotion hit from casting sorcery .... <

Why should Clerics be penalized that way?

If the Antinomic Sorcery Spellbook was available, then it would make more sense.

Speaking of which, is that even being worked on?

~Gab
Re: Burning sorcery 02/13/2016 09:39 PM CST
>>Said brazier should burn you alive if you currently have any sorcery spells learned.

Just in case this isn't just japes and jabs, the Immortals really don't care that much about Sorcery as a whole.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Burning sorcery 02/13/2016 11:57 PM CST
>>I kind of hope it isn't possible to be aligned to, get favors from, or do rituals for Light deities if you have sorcery invoked/memorized. But that's just me.

Certainly a novel idea for necromancy spells and such. I wouldn't think restricting it to light deities would be any more appropriate than all the immortals. Not to fly in the face of a theological debate, but would Rutilor hate necromancy more than Botolf or Chadatru, Wouldn't they all abhor it equally?

- Anuind Lyndon

When naming your holy weapon consider the following: Everyone has a Holy Avenger or a Divine Vengeance. Why not go with something your foes will never accept the shame of being smote by, such as "The Fuzzy Kitten"
Re: Burning sorcery 02/14/2016 02:28 AM CST
>>Speaking of which, is that even being worked on?

Yes! There are several spells approved, but before those, we have work to do with Antinomic Corruption. Let's just say that all three high sorcery corruptions will be quite different.

GM Grejuva
Re: Burning sorcery 02/25/2016 03:23 AM CST
In theory, all the aspects of the 13 should hate Necromancy to the extent that all Clerics are under divine command to hunt them down and stop that horrible mess before it consumes their power. Er, the world. Yeah, they care about you, sure.

I'm neutral on sorcery in general. I get the feeling They are too.

Prydaen prayer for the hunt:
http://pastebin.com/fRrP52H7
Re: Burning sorcery 02/25/2016 03:26 AM CST
I would think the dark aspects are okie-dokey with it, most neutrals (except maybe Chadatru?) are, well, neutral, and the light aspects would actually dislike their servants using sorcery. But that's just me spitballing.

Thayet

Re: Burning sorcery 02/25/2016 10:03 AM CST
>>In theory, all the aspects of the 13 should hate Necromancy to the extent that all Clerics are under divine command to hunt them down and stop that horrible mess before it consumes their power. Er, the world. Yeah, they care about you, sure.

>>I would think the dark aspects are okie-dokey with it, most neutrals (except maybe Chadatru?) are, well, neutral, and the light aspects would actually dislike their servants using sorcery. But that's just me spitballing.

AFAIK, The Immortals have never gave an official [public] stance on Necromancy. We have The Temple, The Hounds, etc all weighing in, and whatever happens with Divine Outrage, but there's no official statement. At best, we've had specific instances of Immortals being annoyed at people who practice Necromancy. But you've also had specific instances of Immortals being annoyed at Immortals, Immortals being annoyed at spawn created by Immortals, etc.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Burning sorcery 02/25/2016 11:08 AM CST
https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Sorcery#Sorcery_and_the_gods

Well, assuming the wiki is correct (this particular passage doesn't have a referenced post, but I seem to remember sing one form Armifer), at least the Thirteen specifically hate Necromancy.

>>AFAIK, The Immortals have never gave an official [public] stance on Necromancy.

Out of curiosity, is there an instance of anything where the Immortals as a collective have taken an official and public stance on something? I mean, I know we're living in a world where their influence is tangible, but I didn't think they were that involved. And if they haven't made any sort of public decrees, really for anything Immortal related we are pretty much left with what we are in real life: clerics telling us the will and intent of the Immortals.
Re: Burning sorcery 02/25/2016 11:29 AM CST
>>Well, assuming the wiki is correct (this particular passage doesn't have a referenced post, but I seem to remember sing one form Armifer), at least the Thirteen specifically hate Necromancy.

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek. ICly, it's "common knowledge" that Necromancy is terrible because The Immortals say it is terrible. But who said The Immortals said that? Do they have a reason to lie? Would anyone even dare question it, or else risk being purged as well? It's fun.

>>Out of curiosity, is there an instance of anything where the Immortals as a collective have taken an official and public stance on something? I mean, I know we're living in a world where their influence is tangible, but I didn't think they were that involved. And if they haven't made any sort of public decrees, really for anything Immortal related we are pretty much left with what we are in real life: clerics telling us the will and intent of the Immortals.

Exactly!

In other words, The Immortals are against Necromancy because people who say they speak for The Immortals and/or interpret the actions of The Immortals say they are against Necromancy. Is it possible The Temple, The Hounds, etc are all lying, for some reason? Could the effects of Divine Outrage be "Something Else" (turns out divine smites are really just your body rejecting your unintentional attempt to break the barrier into godhood), or is it really just an Immortal smacking an annoying gnat? Connect this with Empaths "disappearing" because they figured out "too much" or learned to do something they shouldn't have learned to do. We literally had an Empath once ascend into the sky after teaching something to all Empaths, correct?

DUN DUN DUN/X-Files theme song/etc.

Re: Burning sorcery 02/25/2016 12:49 PM CST
One of the things in enjoy about this game, particularly the lore aspect, is that any number of these things are not only possible, but plausible (OOCly). It is always so much deeper than just, "this is the way somethings is, and there is nothing more to it."

Coincidentally, it was these "conspiracy theories" that I based my Necromancer upon. A scholar in search of the truth that is being obfuscated by the establishment in order to keep the people down and themselves in power.
Re: Burning sorcery 02/25/2016 06:01 PM CST
Two things: I said sorcery, not necromancy, and Very Bad things happen to a Cleric that uses any kind of necromancy.

Thayet

Re: Burning sorcery 02/25/2016 06:09 PM CST
>>Two things: I said sorcery, not necromancy

Sorry about that. I read your post after Bick's post and didn't notice the terminology shift when I responded. I thought it was a response to the necromancy part not the sorcery part.

>>Very Bad things happen to a Cleric that uses any kind of necromancy.

It's still fun to think about why, though. Like if I drop an apple is it because gravity or because tiny invisible gremlins are trying to steal my apple and they live under the ground. Sometimes I wonder if some of the things in DR that are ICly (and understandably) viewed as divine interaction are instead just natural responses that are misattributed because why would anyone know better.

Re: Burning sorcery 02/25/2016 06:10 PM CST
The Very Bad things do include Divine Outrage and very rapid ascension to Cursed status, but there are also other effects that are very clearly the result of the Immortals going "oh no u dint."

Thayet

Re: Burning sorcery 02/25/2016 06:20 PM CST
>and very rapid ascension to Cursed status

I find it interesting that you phrased it in that way.

/ascension/