Favor orbs 05/22/2015 01:06 PM CDT

Can clerics get a commune boost and maybe some theurgy experience when they turn in a favor orb?
Re: Favor orbs 05/22/2015 03:26 PM CDT
This is already a thing.. just a 60th(?) circle thing. Truffenyi Commune

Segmere Freat
Re: Favor orbs 05/22/2015 03:43 PM CDT
>This is already a thing.. just a 60th(?) circle thing. Truffenyi Commune

That's creating favor orbs, not fillling or redeeming them.
Re: Favor orbs 05/22/2015 04:26 PM CDT

> That's creating favor orbs, not fillling or redeeming them.

What DASLOW said, and I'd like to be able to get a burst of devotion every time I put a filled favor orb on the great altar.
Re: Favor orbs 05/22/2015 07:59 PM CDT
Well, you could always use Truffenyi's commune to turn in the orb instead of putting it on the altar.

ASGM Ricinus
Core, Logistics, Survival
Cleric Advocate
Re: Favor orbs 05/23/2015 12:12 AM CDT

> Well, you could always use Truffenyi's commune to turn in the orb instead of putting it on the altar.

Doesn't that turn devotion into theurgy? I mean, maybe that's the whole point of devotion, so it's roughly equivalent, but I was thinking that the act of getting a god's favor should also raise devotion towards that god. Maybe it would only work if you were turning in a favor orb for your currently aligned god.
Re: Favor orbs 05/23/2015 12:34 AM CDT
Oh, I was just mentioning that aspect since part of what you asked to start with was if it could produce devotion or train theurgy. I'm not sure getting a favor from a god is really along the lines of what devotion is. For a favor, you are sacrificing something to the gods in return for a boon. Devotion is more about performing some act without some promise in return. At a meta level, we could consider it the same, since we value devotion as a currency and receive it in return for such acts. But outside of what we use it in the game, that's not what it is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm always on the lookout for new ways to tie theurgy/devotion into things since it's a system that relies heavily on lots of little parts. But off-hand, I think that particular way would be a little bit outside the theme.

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: Favor orbs 05/23/2015 01:14 PM CDT

> Devotion is more about performing some act without some promise in return.

I guess that makes sense; although, it is inconsistent (see paladins and chadatru favors). I just kind of like the idea of interacting with the gods affecting our devotion in some beneficial way.
Re: Favor orbs 05/23/2015 01:29 PM CDT
I'm not entirely sure what the Paladin and Chadatru favor reference is, but Paladins don't have devotion. :)

ASGM Ricinus
Cleric Advocate
Re: Favor orbs 05/23/2015 03:49 PM CDT
>I'm not entirely sure what the Paladin and Chadatru favor reference is, but Paladins don't have devotion. :)

Paladin soul system: you get positive soul state rewards (similar to tithing, tending, prayer badge use, etc.) for getting Chadatru favors (as in, fill orb, put on altar, now you have another favor).
Re: Favor orbs 05/23/2015 08:04 PM CDT

> I'm not entirely sure what the Paladin and Chadatru favor reference is,

They get a boost to their power periodically if they get a favor from chadatru.

> but Paladins don't have devotion. :)

I equate devotion to soul state. Unleaded or Diesel, it's still fuel. (Okay, maybe an ironically terrible comparison)