Spirit Summoning 04/07/2015 11:03 AM CDT
So while chatting with a friend about Sanyu Lyba and how it works, we got into an interesting discussion about how it might be changed to be part of a larger and more versatile system. In part because I've always been more than a little fascinated by this line of the Cleric description: We are the most feared opponent of the Undead and the summoners of ancient spirits.
While SL does make a great first step toward spirit summoning, it would cool to have the potential for more variety. This could be achieved (or at least allow for the possibility of) if SL were removed as a spell and instead became a summonable pet (based on Theurgy skill - hurrah for more uses and ways to train this skill). Allowing this to work with just the SL type spirit at first would be a reasonable start and lay the framework for the eventual addtion of other spirit types in the future as the ability gets expanded upon.

Here's how I envision it possibly working:
Step 1 - Find or create a consecrated area.
Step 2 - Perform ritual to attract spiritual creature of desired type.
Step 2.1 - Possibly allow room for error - may attract a different type or even something harmful like a maeldryth to attack the summoner.
Step 3 - Once spirit of desired type is attracted, ANCHOR it to the Plane of Abiding by linking it to your spirit. While pet is linked to summoner, it draws % of spirit from it's host to stay in our plane.
Step 3.1 - Summoner would take % spirit hit if it's spirit is killed or dispelled.
Step 3.2 - Allow appropriate contest for dispellation or killing of summoned creature.
Re: Spirit Summoning 04/07/2015 11:42 AM CDT

I think this is a neat idea, but I don't think every guild needs to have some kind of combat pet equivalent. If the spirit could do other things, perhaps more specific to Clerics, I think it'd be a neat system.
Re: Spirit Summoning 04/07/2015 12:10 PM CDT
>>> I think this is a neat idea, but I don't think every guild needs to have some kind of combat pet equivalent.

The idea of my cleric summoning an ancient spirit to do .... something is very interesting. If that something was combat it would seem much more like a generic ability (e.g. A holy zombie) than something unique.
Re: Spirit Summoning 04/07/2015 12:13 PM CDT

Combat would be only one possible facet (and a rather minor one in my opinion) of the possible varities that could be developed if this became a thing.
Re: Spirit Summoning 04/07/2015 01:28 PM CDT

What do you purport they would do that communes don't already do, remembering that warmie pets, ranger pets and trader runners are already a thing.

I'm weary of giving clerics stuff that other guilds have.
Re: Spirit Summoning 04/07/2015 02:12 PM CDT

I could be wrong but I read that differently than you. I read it as clerics are enemies of the undead and those that summon spirits, ie necromancers that dabble in the spirit. I don't read it as clerics are the enemy of undead, and clerics also summon spirits.
Re: Spirit Summoning 04/07/2015 02:19 PM CDT
While pets/companions/familiars/creatures/etc. are really neat, I wouldn't like to see them for every single guild because that would diminish their coolness in my eyes. There does need to be some reason to choose those guilds over other guilds after all.

Your time for being forced PvP OPEN has ended. You have been set back to DON'T MUCK WITH ME UNLESS YOU TELL ME FIRST! and will not be able to change it for 24 hours.
Re: Spirit Summoning 04/07/2015 02:26 PM CDT
>>> I could be wrong but I read that differently than you. I read it as clerics are enemies of the undead and those that summon spirits, ie necromancers that dabble in the spirit. I don't read it as clerics are the enemy of undead, and clerics also summon spirits.

Interesting. It could be taken either way, I guess:

We are (the most feared opponent of the Undead) and (the summoners of ancient spirits).

We are the most feared opponent of (the Undead) and (the summoners of ancient spirits).
Re: Spirit Summoning 04/07/2015 02:32 PM CDT

But yeah, the SL spell does talk about spirits of the starry road coming to aid the caster. It also says it is unknown whether they are commanded to do so, or if they just are drawn to the holy weave as well. So, I dunno?
Re: Spirit Summoning 04/07/2015 03:05 PM CDT
>Interesting. It could be taken either way, I guess:

To be honest, I don't think I'd really ever considered it that way. Though I think it has been generally accepted that it's the Cleric who is summoning ancient spirits, or at least previous discussions have leaned that way as far as I remember. Plus, as mentioned, the spell text of SL seems to indicate that as well.
Re: Spirit Summoning 04/07/2015 03:08 PM CDT

>What do you purport they would do that communes don't already do, remembering that warmie pets, ranger pets and trader runners are already a thing.

I hadn't really given it much thought yet beyond what they already do. As I stated in the original post, it was just an idea that struck me while discussing the spell and it's nature with a friend. I shared it so it could be discussed and maybe other ideas added to it.
Re: Spirit Summoning 04/11/2015 09:54 AM CDT

Some ideas...

Low levels, act similar to EF/BF but only allow a swap of spirit for mana.
Mid levels, Add in the spell defense of current SL
High End(very high end) A divine presense so strong as to be a walking meraud commune(make it ritual and not a OM spell with a serious cooldown timer, say something around once every 6 hours so as to allow movement of hunting but not usurp marauds)

As Liuri said though, an unsuccessful cast(or summoning if you will) has the possibility of something bad happening, a HUGE devotion hit or maybe an evil spirit that attacks you and causes a small amount of DO as it would not make the gods happy to have one loose)
Re: Spirit Summoning 04/11/2015 10:42 AM CDT

After further discussions, it may be easier to use a framework such as that used by Elemental Weapons. An easily accessed skill that grows with (and hopefully teaches) Theurgy that is further enhanced with various meta-spells to unlock various aspects of it.
Re: Spirit Summoning 04/11/2015 11:33 AM CDT
I think this is a really neat idea. I agree that it should not be a pet like GS/familiars, but at the same time I would like to see more done with the summoning of spirits, or at least with Sanyu Lyba.

One thing I really like about Sanyu Lyba is that there is more than one type of spirit - I don't know exactly how many or what it's based on. I've seen four different kinds so far, so it must not be just a neutral/dark/light distinction (I think?!). When I changed from getting one god's favor to another, the spirit type didn't change. Is it based on which god you are actually aligned to, or something else entirely?

But anyway, that's a really fun aspect of the spell that I think could be expanded upon. I love how the messaging for favor orb creation using Truffenyi's commune is different for each god. Perhaps the spirit summoned by Sanyu Lyba could have a different name and appearance based on what the Cleric's patron god is. Something distinctive so that somebody could look at the person's Spirit and go "Oh, that must be a Cleric of <insert god here>."

It would be extremely nice, but most likely completely too complicated, that if beyond just a cosmetic difference the spirit could have a permanent effect on the Cleric and/or secondary room-based effect based on the patron god. For example, a Kertigen Spirit could give the cleric a passive bonus to weapon or armorsmithing and protect everyone in the room from thieves, either by passively increasing perception or just making the area a "no steal zone" like the Crossing stocks. A Berengaria Spirit could give a bonus to the Cleric's Outdoorsmanship and also change the area into a place where simple plants and herbs can be foraged. A Dergati Spirit could give a bonus to Debilitation and come with the added effect of plunging the room into darkness and potentially also giving others in the room random nightmare visions. The effects could also be tied into the Cleric's devotion, with higher devotion giving better gains. The dark god spirits should probably have some nastier side-effects, but potentially more potent buffs for the Cleric.

... That being said, I realize that 39 completely unique and balanced personal/room effects is waaaay too much to ask for. Maybe it could be just some sort of generic light/dark/neutral distinction. Or, as was suggested earlier, just have the spirit become a walking Meraud's Commune. It would be rad if it had the added ability of making the Cleric's room a "safe" room as well, but I don't want to steal more of the Paladins' thunder.

Perhaps there could be a Spirit Summoning Commune, which would be a nice application of Theurgy and something for Clerics to shoot for after learning Truffenyi's Commune. Although I have no idea what god it could be tied to, especially if it is a different spirit based on each god. Maybe a Meraud's Commune II, like with Eluned. Or make each type of spirit a different kind of fae creature and call it Faenella's Commune.