Theurgy at low levels 10/16/2013 04:09 PM CDT
This isn't meant to be a complaint, and it isn't so much a suggestion as an observation, but it's rather difficult to find a way to balance Theurgy, Devotion, and Communes at my present level (32nd) and Theurgy (128), especially (but not exclusively) when lacking convenient access to an altar.

I use prayer and my pilgrim badge anytime the timers are up, and clean my anloral pin for the extra boost when that is available, but even given those things I must avoid using communes if I want to avoid gradually tanking my devotion. This wouldn't be a problem, except that those are the only really good way to learn Theurgy. Eluned's and Tamsine's communes don't seem to grant enough experience to keep me going relative to their devotion gains, and Kertigen's and Hodierna's both require things I don't usually have (namely unblessed weapons and wounds).

I have experimented with Meraud's commune, which seems like it would work, except that between how much it drains and how incredibly short it lasts I lost devotion at an alarming rate, enough that I can only use it once per hunting trip at best, with long cooldowns in-between. During my hunts I perform last rites, pray, and dance on cooldown, so I feel I'm doing my best there. It just isn't enough.

Relying upon the trickle from rituals and the occasional boost from the odd commune 'works', but my weapons are gaining ranks twice as fast, defenses faster still, alongside outdoorsmanship and athletics and locksmithing and all the other out-of-combat things I train... I just run out of ways to train Theurgy once everything's on cooldown, and have to go do something else even if I'd like to continue training it.

Are devotion gains too low? Passive/active drain too high? Am I just doing it wrong, is it working as intended? All possibilities, but here's a data point to consider for whatever it might be worth.
Re: Theurgy at low levels 10/16/2013 04:40 PM CDT
How is it you don't have convenient access to an altar? Even stopping by an altar once in awhile to do a few extra rituals can do wonders for keep up with devotion loss, and it's sort of thematically important for the guild. As far as Meraud's duration, you're getting close to the point where the duration starts to increase, so as you progress Meraud's will last longer and longer.

You could also switch to an evil/undead creature to hunt which will provide a fairly constant stream of extra devotion your way, allowing you to do communes more often.

FGM Ricinus
Logistics Lead
Magic, Sentients Team Member
Cleric Advocate
Re: Theurgy at low levels 10/16/2013 04:42 PM CDT
I also did more digging and spotted a 'sacrifice' verb, but no real info on what it does other than give devotion, or on how exactly to use it. I'll pick that up next time I'm in Crossing and PAFO.
Re: Theurgy at low levels 10/16/2013 04:47 PM CDT
Part of it is not knowing the area I just moved to for training very well - it looks like Aesry has some, so I'll make use of them, but I was having a hard time keeping up with the drain when I had one right next door back in Theren.

I'll update if things improve. As with anything in DR, it's entirely possible that I'm just doing it wrong.
Re: Theurgy at low levels 10/16/2013 05:28 PM CDT

First of all- let us know where you are training- and we might be able to suggest altars that you aren't aware of.

I have no direct experience with your level of theurgy but here are some suggestions:

Use Meraud's Commune while hunting
Then use the rituals that can be used- dance, recite, beads

There are two different kind of sacrifice thingies you can use there-
a) after you kill something but before you search it "pray 'critter''- this is a light aspect ritual- doesn't work on undead
b) a dark ritual is using 'sacrifice' for the killing blow- this takes a while to get the hang of but it works very well once you do- doesn't work on undead.

Good luck with it all.
Re: Theurgy at low levels 10/16/2013 06:34 PM CDT
For reference, I just moved into first tier snow goblins.

My script uses last rites any time Meraud's is up and the cooldown is up. I believe it's about ten minutes on that.

I've found a handy list of altars including some in Aesry that should be easier to reach than the one I thought was here, and I'll experiment with sacrifice when I get the chance.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Re: Theurgy at low levels 10/17/2013 02:35 AM CDT
If you can, I highly suggest hunting undead/cursed critters. You will never have to leave combat to regain devotion.

Otherwise, the timer on most altar-related rituals is ~10 minutes. You could probably leave combat for 20-30 minutes (without going clear in those skills) and bring up your devotion before going back.

I think Moss Meys are near the snow gob level? Might give those a try. The hhr'ikzi (however you spell that) in the city are GREAT for Clerics, too!

GENT
Re: Theurgy at low levels 10/17/2013 04:28 PM CDT
I picked up Merauds post 3.0 and the moment I got it until now I've been using Merauds always and staying in combat with no issue with devotion levels. This is using last rites, Pray god, and recite as soon as the cool downs are up. With these three I gain devotion while juggling Merauds, eluned and tamsine. You didn't mention recite, give it a shot.
Re: Theurgy at low levels 10/18/2013 03:36 AM CDT
SACRIFICE is hands down the easiest way to gain devotion (not counting really high quality beads). The "problem" with it is that it has to be a killing blow, and the only way people can effectively gauge a monster's health is thru appraisal - which adding some mish-mash of appraising-hitting enemies til "below this much health" then casting Soul Sickness followed by -> SACRIFICE [creature] would slow things down a lot, not to mention be a potential scripting nightmare.

...Or people could just not script, but that concept seems all but dead nowadays.
Re: Theurgy at low levels 10/18/2013 07:54 AM CDT
Ill have to disagree, theres other ways that are "easier" and more efficient than sacrifice in both scripting ( nothing is wrong with scripting) and hunting efficiency.
Re: Theurgy at low levels 10/18/2013 07:10 PM CDT
>Ill have to disagree, theres other ways that are "easier" and more efficient than sacrifice in both scripting ( nothing is wrong with scripting) and hunting efficiency.

Such as what? I can get back the Devotion lost from Meraud's Commune in a flat minute if I utilize Sacrifice.

And I never said scripting was bad, I said Sacrifice is hard to work into a script without hurting hunting efficiency, so people tend to ignore it. If someone is purposely ignoring a way to get Devotion, it's their own fault for having Devotion problems.

Dance/Recite/Pray "work" but I've never found them to restore all devotion before the commune learning timer is up unless a really good bead is thrown in as well, which I already mentioned.
Re: Theurgy at low levels 10/18/2013 07:23 PM CDT
<<I picked up Merauds post 3.0 and the moment I got it until now I've been using Merauds always and staying in combat with no issue with devotion levels.>>

Leaving aside my earlier observations, you really aren't giving a whole lot of info there.

Duration of the commune is based upon Theurgy ranks. From what I can tell, mine lasts 20-30 minutes per commune, but I haven't specifically timed it yet.

Conversely, devotion cost and devotion gains seem to be static. So I have less time to recover an equal amount of devotion relative to someone with higher ranks.

I imagine it'll be easier once it lasts longer. For now I am leaving combat regularly to visit an altar instead; it isn't ideal, but it works.
Re: Theurgy at low levels 10/18/2013 07:57 PM CDT

also take advantage of the regional rituals once in a while...Holy baths, planting of sirese seeds, reading or reciting the book of Chadatru...all give a much larger boost to devotion than the "normal" altar rituals.
Re: Theurgy at low levels 10/18/2013 10:09 PM CDT
>Such as what? I can get back the Devotion lost from Meraud's Commune in a flat minute if I utilize Sacrifice.

Pretty much any other devotion gaining ritual is easier due to the fact that you have to assess the monster's health to make sure you land the killing blow with sacrifice or else you lose devotion. If you're appraising each monster before hand to confirm the sacrifice will land the killing blow you're wasting unnecessary roundtime which could be better spent training other skills and is less efficient than guaranteeing devotion gain by /recite/pray god/last rites.

Dancing is also inefficient due to the roundtime needed to gain the devotion.

>Dance/Recite/Pray "work" but I've never found them to restore all devotion before the commune learning timer is up unless a really good bead is thrown in as well, which I already mentioned.

I don't use dance, but I can tell you I've been using pray god/recite/last rites in conjunction with Merauds, Tamsine and Eluneds from about 200 Theurgy to 800+ and my devotion mostly stays between 13/16 to 15/16. Tamsine has been added around 600 or so Theurgy because Merauds and Eluned wasn't enough to keep my Scholarship moving at a pace I wanted. Even using all 3 devotion doesn't fall below 13/16.

>And I never said scripting was bad

>...Or people could just not script, but that concept seems all but dead nowadays.

You were implying scripting is detrimental, people have played this game for longer than a decade. Nobody wants to hand type feint goblin for the 100,000th time.
Re: Theurgy at low levels 10/19/2013 02:55 AM CDT
>You were implying scripting is detrimental, people have played this game for longer than a decade. Nobody wants to hand type feint goblin for the 100,000th time.

Well there's me. It's even more fun now that that awful combo system I railed against is gone!
Re: Theurgy at low levels 10/20/2013 02:58 AM CDT
>it's rather difficult to find a way to balance Theurgy, Devotion, and Communes at my present level (32nd) and Theurgy (128)

I've recently been training up a Cleric at approximately that circle and skill. Now 34th circle and 150+ Theurgy (started at 31st and perhaps 116-120 ranks, but there was considerable backtraining before I could move along on the Primary Weapon requirement that holds up circling).

What I do, based on how my 70th Cleric performs (but I do a much more intricate script that weaves in Last Rites), is that I carve up a lot of prayer beads. This Cleric has a chain that holds 10, I like carrying spares. You'll burn a lot of beads, so for an extended trip, you'll need a lot. I like having minimum of 12-14. Also a lot of incense and holy water, Meraud's doesn't last terribly long. I figure roughly 1/3 the water and incense as beads.

Anyways, while in town, do rituals till you're full of devotion.

In combat, start off by firing Meraud's Commune, then Pray Immortal, Pray Badge, kneel and meditate bead till it detaches, then stand, wear the chain, and move along.

Every time you finish killing/skinning/looting, Commune Sense to see if you need to refresh Meraud (I just script match Meraud because there's 2 messages, one for MEraud in the area (long time), and one for when you can Meraud again (a shorter time), then Pray Immortal.

If you get RT when you pray, that means your timers are up and you can (probably not get devotion from) Pray Badge, and blow another bead. If not, you've still got ritual cooldown timers and can keep on fighting.

Yes, devotion goes down because you have to Meraud a lot, but I can easily stay hunting for a couple of hours. My own Cleric actually GAINS devotion solely from Pray Immortal, Pray Badge, and Bead Blowing. The hard part is that I go through prayer beads so fast and now spend so much time in combat I have trouble keeping enough prayer beads. Because I don't have to spend time out of combat aside from carving beads.

And I GUARANTEE YOU that you will be mindlocking Theurgy, and you will be locking it hard.

>>Ill have to disagree, theres other ways that are "easier" and more efficient than sacrifice in both scripting ( nothing is wrong with scripting) and hunting efficiency.
>Such as what? I can get back the Devotion lost from Meraud's Commune in a flat minute if I utilize Sacrifice.

Having the most devotion gain doesn't make it the best.

I bead because beads train Mech Lore. And unless something changes at like 500+ Mech, beads teach Mech Lore very well to both my Clerics.

>You were implying scripting is detrimental, people have played this game for longer than a decade. Nobody wants to hand type feint goblin for the 100,000th time.

Yeah, I'm now more than 11 full years since I started Dragonrealms. I would definitely have quit years ago if not for scripts. I'd say probably back in 2007 is when I probably would have been lost, that was about when I lost interest in my first main character and started branching out into multiple Guilds, and so my scripting had to start covering things I'd never had to cover before as an Empath, like combat, or Trader caravan running.

Kaeta Airtag

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Theurgy at low levels 10/20/2013 07:43 AM CDT

<<And I GUARANTEE YOU that you will be mindlocking Theurgy, and you will be locking it hard.>>

That made me laugh
Re: Theurgy at low levels 10/20/2013 09:01 PM CDT
>That made me laugh

Don't know if that was sarcasm or not, but it's true.

Doing Meraud's every 30 minutes is about 24 mindstates. In 30 minutes or so you'll only drop 9.

Kaeta Airtag

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Theurgy at low levels 10/21/2013 10:02 PM CDT
Locking it hard, made me laugh. In reality it does work great.
Re: Theurgy at low levels 10/23/2013 01:43 AM CDT
>Having the most devotion gain doesn't make it the best.

>I bead because beads train Mech Lore. And unless something changes at like 500+ Mech, beads teach Mech Lore very well to both my Clerics.

Except you can use Beads and Sacrifice, unless you're hunting undead, you know? The 'safe' way of utilizing Sacrifice also teaches Appraisal, so it's not like appraising monsters is some time-wasting endeavor. (Granted, ones with weapons seem to teach Appraisal far better, but that's just splitting hairs.)

Mech Lore may be more useful, but Appraisal still has uses and it's not like anyone has to choose just one of them.
Re: Theurgy at low levels 10/23/2013 07:47 AM CDT
>so it's not like appraising monsters is some time-wasting endeavor.

against natural creatures, post like 600 ranks it kind of is.